Need a new Case? Save $30 with code SPARKLE30 + Free Shipping at Case-Mate.com! Offer ends 12/15.

Author Topic: Kindle App  (Read 1104 times)  

Offline patrickt

• Oaxaca, Mexico
    • View Profile
Kindle App
« on: October 25, 2017, 05:26:53 AM »
I got a new Kindle app for my Google Pixel running Android 8.0 and it's nice. Much faster than the old Kindle, adds Ember Bold font. Very different user interface. Of course, I read on my phone only in emergencies but when I do this app will be nice.

Offline williammeikle

• Strong the force is...
    • View Profile
    • William Meikle
Re: Kindle App
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 10:23:55 AM »
No carousel, and I can't find my collections that I spent many hours organizing.

Got the update five minutes ago.

I already hate it.

"One of the premier storytellers of our time" - FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND
William Meikle | Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline williammeikle

• Strong the force is...
    • View Profile
    • William Meikle
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 10:40:31 AM »
It's completely stupid. I've lost all the setups for my to-be-read carousel, and I don't want to see all that 'recommended for you' stuff on my tablet, I just want to read the books I've downloaded already, and organize them properly, but there's no 'collections' functionality there at all now that I can find. They've sacrificed usability to stuff in more selling options.

EDITED... AHA! Found the collections, buried away in the bowels, but it's not at all obvious. It's a terrible piece of user interface design.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 10:46:51 AM by williammeikle »

"One of the premier storytellers of our time" - FAMOUS MONSTERS OF FILMLAND
William Meikle | Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline patrickt

• Oaxaca, Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 01:08:00 PM »
So, I'm assuming you'll be removing it from your tablet.

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 02:16:22 PM »
Collections are there. Go to Library screen and there should be a drop down with choices ALL ITEMS/BOOKS/NEWSTAND/DOCS/COLLECTIONS.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 02:33:27 PM »
I want this new update, but apparently I am at the end of the line on my phone and tablet, both android.  :P

I don't care for the carousel one way or another, but I have found that the recommendations and such have gotten a lot better than they used to be. I see this on my kindles, which have some sort of similar type setup already, with goodreads integrated. One can always use the collection view on apps, just like one can remove the home view from kindles.

But anything to make it faster would be an improvement. Everytime I start the old version, which I still have, it takes forever to get anywhere and sync and have the time I get the app has stopped noticed. So if they finally fixed that mess, its all good. Once I get the update that is.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 02:53:05 PM »
I want this new update, but apparently I am at the end of the line on my phone and tablet, both android.  :P

I don't care for the carousel one way or another, but I have found that the recommendations and such have gotten a lot better than they used to be. I see this on my kindles, which have some sort of similar type setup already, with goodreads integrated. One can always use the collection view on apps, just like one can remove the home view from kindles.

But anything to make it faster would be an improvement. Everytime I start the old version, which I still have, it takes forever to get anywhere and sync and have the time I get the app has stopped noticed. So if they finally fixed that mess, its all good. Once I get the update that is.

I have the same issue (update not showing up for my Moto G running Android 5.1).  I think it is stuck at v7.18 (which arrived earlier this month). If it is still stuck tonight Im going to try installing Amazon Appstore and see if it will serve up the latest version of Kindle app (the product page says my device is compatible).

That said, it is probably not a bad idea to uninstall the Kindle app you have on there now for a fresh start. There have been issues in the past where data storage is out of proportion to the content thats actually on device, and may be impacting performance. Clear Data (in System Settings Apps list) should have the same effect but uninstalling should do it for sure. My device is underpowered by current standards but v7 seems to run okay on it.

Offline patrickt

• Oaxaca, Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 05:11:51 AM »

I didn't even think of that. I just went to the Google Store and downloaded it.

Offline nikkidog

• Ohio
  • Happy Voyage, Oasis and Oasis2 owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 07:50:02 AM »
I have an actual Kindle Oasis and Voyage and I havent received the update on either one.  Disappointed.  I know I can download it manually but, my laptop needs to be charged and new anti virus program installed and I just dont want to take the time to do that now.  Guess Ill just wait.

Offline Jodi O

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 08:25:38 AM »
I have an Android phone, 5.1. The Kindle app updates stopped at 7.1.8. I found the 8.0 apk online, downloaded and installed. Much to my surprise, it worked! I prefer the interface, which seems more like the dedicated e-reader interface.

Sent from my Alcatel_5054O using Tapatalk

Offline patrickt

• Oaxaca, Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 09:49:16 AM »
I have an actual Kindle Oasis and Voyage and I havent received the update on either one.  Disappointed.  I know I can download it manually but, my laptop needs to be charged and new anti virus program installed and I just dont want to take the time to do that now.  Guess Ill just wait.

Nikki, the app is for Android phones and tablets.  They won't come to your Voyage or Oasis. There is an update that should have come to your Voyage and Oasis for 5.8.11. Totally different from the Kindle App update.

Offline nikkidog

• Ohio
  • Happy Voyage, Oasis and Oasis2 owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 10:58:30 AM »
Nikki, the app is for Android phones and tablets.  They won't come to your Voyage or Oasis. There is an update that should have come to your Voyage and Oasis for 5.8.11. Totally different from the Kindle App update.

Ok sorry.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 03:32:39 PM »
Ok sorry.

But there is a system update available for current Kindle, Oasis, and Voyage . . . ads more font size options and some bolding settings.

See this thread: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,256459.0.html

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 04:14:54 PM »
I have an Android phone, 5.1. The Kindle app updates stopped at 7.1.8. I found the 8.0 apk online, downloaded and installed. Much to my surprise, it worked! I prefer the interface, which seems more like the dedicated e-reader interface.

Sent from my Alcatel_5054O using Tapatalk

You probably didn’t need to do that. It took nearly 24 hours before it showed up as an update for my Moto G (1st gen), running Android 5.1 like your device. It runs great compared to the earlier version I had, which was so slow I had stopped using the device - launches quickly, loads books pretty fast as well. And yes, it is a nice facelift.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 04:18:41 PM by tsemple »

Offline Jodi O

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 04:51:29 PM »
You probably didnt need to do that. It took nearly 24 hours before it showed up as an update for my Moto G (1st gen), running Android 5.1 like your device. It runs great compared to the earlier version I had, which was so slow I had stopped using the device - launches quickly, loads books pretty fast as well. And yes, it is a nice facelift.

I see you're right. I didn't need to do that. It's available now for my phone. I get anxious :)

Offline patrickt

• Oaxaca, Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2017, 05:49:39 PM »
Ok sorry.

If that's the worst thing you ever have to be sorry for, you're golden. There is a new app for a phone or a tablet and an update for your Kindles both of which just came out. The app is available in the Google Store and the update is avaiable from Kindle and it's update 5.8.11. I really like the app and the update is best I've ever gotten. Increased number of font sizes and can make all fonts bold.

Here's a link to the update that I got from another thread:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_v4_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=202037720

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2017, 05:28:33 PM »
Note that there is a component update for Fire tablets that updates the Kindle app tile and adds the close book icon to the reading options - so theres a little more visual consistency over different platforms.

Component updates usually occur without any fanfare or details, but if you Check For Updates you might occasionally catch them in the act so to speak. Most of the time you will not even know what changes, but they are constantly updating things in between the more major FireOS updates.