Kindle Oasis
KB Featured Book
Wish Granted! Tips, Tools, and Templates to Write a Winning Grant
by Holly Rustick

$1.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-08-22
Bestseller ranking: 95983

Product Description
INCLUDES BONUS FREE E-DOWNLOADS: TEMPLATES FOR GRANT WRITING!

Grant writing shouldn’t feel like a trip to the dentist. Take the pain out of the process with this innovative and fun, yes fun, guide. Learn all the inside tips and tools of the grant-writing trade in this easy-to-read and upbeat book.
This book is definitely for you if:
•You break out in a cold sweat when your boss mentions the word ‘grant’.
•You’ve been tempted to throw your computer against the wall while writing a grant.
•You happily tell stakeholders there’s plenty of grants out there … but haven’t the faintest idea how to write and get one!
•You think you can send out a bog-standard letter to a bunch of organizations and get funded.
•Your eyes glaze over when you’re presented with grant writing jargon and acronyms.
•Your organization’s grant success A-game has r...

Author Topic: Audible Vs MP3  (Read 835 times)  

Offline cko1xxxx

• View Profile
Audible Vs MP3
« on: October 25, 2017, 08:53:49 AM »
I just purchased a new 7" Oasis which has Audible capability.  I can borrow MP3 books from my library.  Can I side load these MP3s to my Oasis and can I play the MP3 books on my Oasis?

Offline KimberlyinMN

• NW Minnesota
  • Kindle Voyage Wi-Fi
    • View Profile
Re: Audible Vs MP3
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 08:56:34 AM »
I just purchased a new 7" Oasis which has Audible capability.  I can borrow MP3 books from my library.  Can I side load these MP3s to my Oasis and can I play the MP3 books on my Oasis?
You'd have to check the Oasis user guide, I think.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 10:13:34 AM »
Considering this is a brand new device that isn't even released yet, it's not surprising that there's a lot we don't know. Surprisingly, though, in the Kindle Oasis User Guide there's not a single mention of the Audible capability. I did get the link from the "All new Oasis" sales page.

We should have some information from real users in a week. :)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 12:20:14 PM »
I'm thinking that it wouldn't work for borrowed audiobooks, only books directly from audible.com.  Whenever I borrow an audiobook, it downloads to my overdrive app where I can listen through overdrive or transfer it to itunes.  I'd be surprised if there were a way to get it to work on a Kindle ereader without Audible.

Christine | Member since 10/13/2009 | Goodreads | Bayou Cover Designs | Bayou Cover Designs on the KBoards Yellow Pages
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.  ― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 12:27:47 PM »
Considering this is a brand new device that isn't even released yet, it's not surprising that there's a lot we don't know. Surprisingly, though, in the Kindle Oasis User Guide there's not a single mention of the Audible capability. I did get the link from the "All new Oasis" sales page.

We should have some information from real users in a week. :)

Chapter 5 Playing Audible books (Pages 30-32)

It looks like there is a built in Audible Player to play Audible books.

Christine | Member since 10/13/2009 | Goodreads | Bayou Cover Designs | Bayou Cover Designs on the KBoards Yellow Pages
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.  ― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 12:40:49 PM »
Chapter 5 Playing Audible books (Pages 30-32)

It looks like there is a built in Audible Player to play Audible books.

Well, I completely missed that!

That said . . . I read it as it's an 'Audible' player, not and 'mp3' player. So I'd think that unless the book is an actual 'Audible' book, it's not going to work.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 04:47:36 PM »
I would assume there is no support for MP3. Even with the older Kindles, support was perfunctory/experimental in nature. They still sell MP3 players starting at under $20 for 16GB. And I think Audible still supports many of those as well.

Offline Sedatedlife

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 10:35:05 AM »
Well, I completely missed that!

That said . . . I read it as it's an 'Audible' player, not and 'mp3' player. So I'd think that unless the book is an actual 'Audible' book, it's not going to work.
I suspect you are correct audible uses its own format and its likely that is all the player will recognize my kindle fire app only plays audible files also

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 05:38:42 PM »
my kindle fire app only plays audible files also

I don't own a Kindle Fire, but I would think that you should be able to play mp3's borrowed from a library thorough the Overdrive app or Hoopla app.... depending on the source they're borrowed from. Maybe someone with a kindle fire can chime in about that capability.

Offline rb211

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 07:52:37 PM »
My wife is planning on upgrading from her Paperwhite to the Oasis but she was disappointed that, at that price point, it wouldn't play .mp3 audio books or at least have the provision to install an app to do it.  Having the Bluetooth headphone capability but limited only to proprietary .aa/.aax audible files is unfortunate.

>:(

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 04:06:36 AM »
My wife is planning on upgrading from her Paperwhite to the Oasis but she was disappointed that, at that price point, it wouldn't play .mp3 audio books or at least have the provision to install an app to do it.  Having the Bluetooth headphone capability but limited only to proprietary .aa/.aax audible files is unfortunate.

>:(

For me, the kindles are all for reading with your eyes. And they get better for that with each new model.

I admit I don't do audio books, but it seems to me there are already a TON of devices and apps that support them, whether audible files or something else. So for me it's not an issue at all. That said, Audible and Amazon are absolutely cooperative companies. It's not at all surprising to me that only Audible files will work -- just as only Amazon ebook files work -- ePub is not compatible.

And, remember, the software isn't a run-of-the-mill computer/tablet/phone OS. It's not-expandable nor are there 'apps' on purpose. There was a time where Amazon did encourage development of 'active content' apps by third parties. But they weren't very popular with their customers who just wanted to read. There might be some still hanging around, but nothing new sold in years and old ones don't work on the new devices.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline northofdivision

• Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 08:08:57 AM »
Just to touch on various files, I sideloaded an .mp3 music file, a NPR mp3 podcast, a .wav file from a recorder and a overdrive file rented from the library with my Kobo. No to all. This seems to be Audible only when it comes to audio content. it would be very very easy for Amazon to open this up but this falls in line with their personalized screensaver lockout. It's in their best interest to keep everything in the ecosystem so i get it. Still stinks for those that maybe would want to listen to classical music and read (also a feature they could have easily brought to us via firmware). That said, I don't see myself using this at all as I use my phone for Audible. But for those who are on vacation sitting on the beach, it seems like a nice perk if you ever wanted to remove yourself entirely from your phone but still listen to audiobooks.
Stanley
=====
Blackberry KeyOne, Ipad Air2
Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis
Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Aura One 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)