Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.

Author Topic: Why Doesn't Amazon Label Its Kindles Properly?  (Read 958 times)  

Online TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
Why Doesn't Amazon Label Its Kindles Properly?
« on: October 27, 2017, 07:16:27 AM »
Has anyone figured out why Amazon doesn't put the model designation on the back of each Kindle? That is, instead of this:

Users could just look in the back and see something like: "Kindle Paperwhite 3."

All I can guess is that the cases are made before the marketing department has come up with a name. But that doesn't really make sense. And it can't be a cosmetic issue.

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Offline NightReader

• View Profile
Re: Why Doesn't Amazon Label Its Kindles Properly?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 01:45:42 PM »
I think it's the same reason why Apple's 4th iPad was "iPad", after the 3rd one was "iPad 3".  (And now I think the newest one--6th generation?--is "The iPad".

I think companies just want the newest one to seem like the only one. 

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 01:57:26 PM »
Both my 1st gen iPad and my iPad Air simply say "iPad" on the back.  My iPhone 5S just says iPhone on the back.  Do other devices have more info on the back?

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 02:42:14 PM »
I checked my phone . . . it says Samsung S7 Edge.  Didn't go to the trouble to get the tablet out of the case.

I don't see it as a huge issue . . . in the event I forget which version of a device I have, I can pretty easily find out through my Amazon account.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 03:16:44 PM »
I checked my phone . . . it says Samsung S7 Edge.  Didn't go to the trouble to get the tablet out of the case.

I don't see it as a huge issue . . . in the event I forget which version of a device I have, I can pretty easily find out through my Amazon account.

Yeah...and I actually pretty much know which device I bought. :D. I do think it would help people who are buying used Kindles if it were easier to find out which model they are looking at.

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 05:23:51 PM »
Yeah...and I actually pretty much know which device I bought. :D. I do think it would help people who are buying used Kindles if it were easier to find out which model they are looking at.

Betsy

That's probably true . . . .

OTOH, Amazon has never used 2, 3, etc. to name any kindles. They're always just "kindle" and they only started using other names, even, when they started selling more than one model at the same time. Even to the extent they have ever talked about generations, they pertain to the kindle line as a whole. At least now with the new Oasis they've differentiated as the 2017 Oasis.

At least they do differentiate enough that you can tell by looking at the case -- whether it says Amazon or kindle, in what color, where on the device -- vs making them all identical. :)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Mike D. aka jmiked

• Central Texas
  • Reading ebooks since 1994!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 08:16:47 AM »
Both my 1st gen iPad and my iPad Air simply say "iPad" on the back.  My iPhone 5S just says iPhone on the back.  Do other devices have more info on the back?

Betsy

You can find out the model name of iPhones by going to the General settings menu. My iPhone 6 says the model number is MG312LL/A. My iPad 3 is model MC756LL/A.

There. Isn't that helpful?

Mike
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 08:18:53 AM by Mike D. aka jmiked »
What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.

Offline kindlecollector

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 07:36:50 PM »
The K1 and K2 were easy.  Totally different looking.  The KDX has 3 models made that look the same other than serial number series first 4 digits and color case and the K3 had two versions, again differentiated by the first 4 digits of the serial number.  Each serial number series K3 and KDX takes a different firmware update program.  The K4 and K5 with the below screen buttons are virtually identical except for color and to me are one model really.  Even have the same firmware.  The Kindle Touch is unique looking.  The confusion for me is the Kindle PW models as they look close to identical.  Take different update firmware though and have differences in amount of memory and screen resolutions.  Model names would help IMO.