Author Topic: Amazon Prime  (Read 979 times)  

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
Amazon Prime
« on: October 28, 2017, 01:30:55 AM »
I just tried to cancel my subscription for Prime before the free trial ends, as I don't think it is worth it to me, and it gave me the option to extend the free trial for another 30 days. I'm really looking forward to what they offer when I cancel that one at the end of November. It seems a bit desperate to me.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
Re: Amazon Prime
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 12:18:39 PM »
Hope it's okay to jump on your thread rather than start a new one re Prime. I just ordered some stuff and evidently managed to invoke the free Prime trial without meaning to. I see no way to cancel it now. Will canceling it at the end of the 30 days be a pain?

I had Prime for a year a while back and decided it wasn't worth it after several orders that were supposedly Prime items didn't arrive any sooner than plain free standard shipping. I have no use for anything except shipping that comes with a Prime membership and am surprised they even offer the free 30-day thing to someone like me who had a membership and canceled.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 02:56:50 PM »
Hope it's okay to jump on your thread rather than start a new one re Prime. I just ordered some stuff and evidently managed to invoke the free Prime trial without meaning to. I see no way to cancel it now. Will canceling it at the end of the 30 days be a pain?

I had Prime for a year a while back and decided it wasn't worth it after several orders that were supposedly Prime items didn't arrive any sooner than plain free standard shipping. I have no use for anything except shipping that comes with a Prime membership and am surprised they even offer the free 30-day thing to someone like me who had a membership and canceled.

Poke around in 'your account'. There should be a way to turn off the 'auto renew' which will let it expire at the end of 30 days.

As to getting a second free trial, it might simply be that it's long enough since the first one that they figured to give you another shot at it.

I'm surprised that you found the shipping was no better . . . for me the free 2 day always comes faster than the standard. Sometimes I even have the option to get it in one day free. I can even can get some things  same day if I order early enough and pay extra. For me it is probably mostly convenience, but there are perks for kindle books, music and videos now as well.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 05:03:27 PM »
I'm surprised that you found the shipping was no better . . . for me the free 2 day always comes faster than the standard. Sometimes I even have the option to get it in one day free. I can even can get some things  same day if I order early enough and pay extra. For me it is probably mostly convenience, but there are perks for kindle books, music and videos now as well.

I won't say nothing ever arrived in 2 days, but at a guess it only happened something like 75-80% of the time, and the one that really finished it for me was something I did need that took 10 days. That cured me of believing in Prime or ordering things I needed right away online. There probably is a big difference in time now because I've noticed with the free standard shipping what they're doing is not sending it out for a week or so to make sure you don't receive it for a good while. It used to be things I ordered that way would come in 5 days, sometimes less, and not often more than 7. Two weeks is no longer rare, but as I said, I don't order things I need quickly. After all I could run to Best Buy for a new Oasis instead of waiting for Amazon to deliver one on the 17th. :)

Until recently I didn't have any internet but dial up so videos and music weren't anything I considered. Amazon's ideas of good books for customers rarely match with mine, so that's not much of a consideration either.

P.S. What I canceled wasn't a free trial. It was a year-long paid subscription. I suppose it should be described as a non-renewal.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 05:05:18 PM by ellenoc »

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 12:12:26 AM »

Yes, it is rather in your face when you order anything isn't it? I only signed up because of that when the postage was going to be twice the cost of the item I bought!

Go into your account and scroll through and you will find prime membership on the list. I think, though not sure, if you cancel it before the end of the 30 days it will actually stay put until then. As I said, not sure, but either way that's the way to do it.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
  • How could you not smile back at Bonnie?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 06:22:44 AM »
I ordered three items on Saturday.  Each web page said -- Order now, will be delivered Monday.  Order confirmation said will be delivered Monday.  Shipping confirmations -- Will be delivered Tuesday.  :o  I am anxious for couple of the items.  I called Amazon this morning.  Of course, no good reason for late delivery.  My Prime being extended for a month.

My bro beagle (1954-1966).  I still miss him big time.
His last collar hangs on my bedpost.

Offline MaryMcDonald

• View Profile
    • M.P. McDonald
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 08:20:27 AM »
I ordered three items on Saturday.  Each web page said -- Order now, will be delivered Monday.  Order confirmation said will be delivered Monday.  Shipping confirmations -- Will be delivered Tuesday.  :o  I am anxious for couple of the items.  I called Amazon this morning.  Of course, no good reason for late delivery.  My Prime being extended for a month.

I find this happens a lot with items shipped via USPS instead of UPS. They get it to the correct post office in two days, but then the hold up is with the USPS then putting it in the next day's mail. (at least, that's been my experience) When it was UPS, it always came in two days but that seems to be a rarity now.

The Mark Taylor Series-Intense thrillers | CJ Sheridan Thrillers
M.P. McDonald | M.P. McDonald | Facebook | Amazon Author Page

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 09:51:56 PM »
I find this happens a lot with items shipped via USPS instead of UPS. They get it to the correct post office in two days, but then the hold up is with the USPS then putting it in the next day's mail. (at least, that's been my experience) When it was UPS, it always came in two days but that seems to be a rarity now.

My three items are being delivered by Amazon service. 

Offline DawnB

• California, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 03:06:26 AM »
recently I've had packages come early & late with both usps & amazon delivery. UPS always deliveries on the set day, even if the package arrives at my local ups office early they won't delivery it early.

When things are late I always call in, especially with the amazon delivery service. They are always getting lost in my area, it happened so many times of the summer a rep at Amazon filled out an exception form so they only use amazon delivery service if I order 1 day or same day delivery. Normal 2 day deliveries are delivered by USPS, UPS, Fedex etc....

Offline MaryMcDonald

• View Profile
    • M.P. McDonald
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 10:48:05 AM »
Is Amazon delivery service when they have people use their own cars? I don't think that is offered around me--and maybe that's a good thing?

The Mark Taylor Series-Intense thrillers | CJ Sheridan Thrillers
M.P. McDonald | M.P. McDonald | Facebook | Amazon Author Page

Offline DawnB

• California, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 11:57:36 PM »
yes that's the one

Online Mike D. aka jmiked

• Central Texas
  • Reading ebooks since 1994!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 07:17:30 AM »

I've been hit by that several times (I forget if it was Amazon or not), and that's when I found out that Fedex Home delivery does not deliver packages on Mondays. Fedex Ground does. I don't know if Amazon uses Home or Ground or a mixture.
What you see depends mainly on what you are looking for.

Offline Sandpiper

• Chicago 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 07:23:07 PM »
I've been hit by that several times (I forget if it was Amazon or not), and that's when I found out that Fedex Home delivery does not deliver packages on Mondays. Fedex Ground does. I don't know if Amazon uses Home or Ground or a mixture.

FedEx is rarely involved in Amazon deliveries here.  I am aware of no Monday deliveries by FedEx Home because Chewy.com always delivers via that service.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac