KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Book Publishing - Scrivener or purchase used Mac + Vellum?  (Read 1176 times)  

Offline Steve Voelker

• Philly
    • View Profile
Re: Book Publishing - Scrivener or purchase used Mac + Vellum?
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2017, 07:21:38 AM »
Vellum is probably my number one piece of indie publishing software.
I would never go back to any other method.

Also, as has been noted, a Mac gets you access to direct uploads to iBooks, and the better version of Scrivener. Which makes a Mac a pretty decent investment for an indie publisher/author.

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2017, 12:30:50 PM »
The bolded part isn't necessarily true. I'm a PC guy, but I also like Vellum. I'd agree, though, that there are other alternatives.

I agree that you can dislike the Mac pretty intensely and still like Vellum. I got a MacBook thinking I'd use it for both the "better" Scrivener and Vellum. All the propaganda about how intuitive the things are is IMO what my mother used to call donkey dust. And after a couple tries at better Scriv, I abandoned it and went back to Windows Scriv. However, once I'm in the Vellum program I'm fine and can almost forget how much I dislike the machine it's on.

Offline blugill

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2017, 03:14:37 PM »
Try a dual boot system on your PC. Download the Mac OS for free and try Vellum.
Very easy to do, takes a couple of hours but it's much cheaper than buying a whole new Mac just for software.
Reference YouTube tutorials on how to create a partition for Mac OS.

Offline CKMartin

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2017, 08:26:16 AM »
It makes no financial sense to buy a mac just to use the software. But I did it anyway, back when Scrivener wasn't great on the PC  ;D Not sure if there's quite so much difference these days...

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2017, 08:31:03 AM »
It makes no financial sense to buy a mac just to use the software. But I did it anyway, back when Scrivener wasn't great on the PC  ;D Not sure if there's quite so much difference these days...
It totally depends on what a person wants. Scrivener, even Scrivener for Windows, will produce a decent ebook without formatting issues, at least in my experience. Vellum will produce a much fancier ebook. If you want the extra bells and whistles, Scrivener can't really touch those.

Scrivener doesn't do paperback formatting all that well. I always exported to Word to do that part. Vellum, on the other hand, does paperback formatting better and more rapidly--if you're willing to accept some limits on customization.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Puddleduck

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2017, 08:37:38 AM »
I agree that you can dislike the Mac pretty intensely and still like Vellum. I got a MacBook thinking I'd use it for both the "better" Scrivener and Vellum. All the propaganda about how intuitive the things are is IMO what my mother used to call donkey dust. And after a couple tries at better Scriv, I abandoned it and went back to Windows Scriv. However, once I'm in the Vellum program I'm fine and can almost forget how much I dislike the machine it's on.

Same, pretty much. I found a cheap Mac and use it for only Vellum and I think it was worth it.

Offline RayBright

• Pittsburgh, PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2017, 11:08:24 AM »
I don't think there's a better way to write than Scrivener, but I never finish with it. I use Vellum. I also do all my writing on a used $99 Macbook that's now 10 years old. Got it at Macofalltrades.com. Vellum is simply fantastic. Scrivener is incredible, up to the point when you need someone to read your manuscript. It doesn't have Track Changes or any reasonable way to make changes suggested by a 2rd party.

From the Scrivener groups I belong to, Windows people have a tough time with that, and any non Microsoft, app.

R

R.F. Bright | Facebook | web site

Offline Marty South

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2017, 02:25:48 PM »
For those that have published book with both Scrivener and Vellum, is it worth it to purchase a mac just to purchase vellum?

It depends. What's your time worth? I'm not a code jockey, so it used to take me 4-8 hours to format a book. Vellum takes minutes. But I can see not wanting to invest in a Mac for one task. However, if you do a cost-benefit analysis and factor in your time (billable hours!), it might still be your best option. If you did go this route, the smallest, cheapest MacBook Air would get the job done. (But do check the OS capability to make sure it meets Vellum's specs.) If you decide against a Mac, I'd recommend a program called Jutoh. I could never get an elegant looking ebook out of Scrivener. (Full Disclosure: I could never get a usable ebook out of Scrivener, and I'm fairly tech-savvy.) But I used Jutoh a number of times, and it wasn't a horrible experience--which is the most shining endorsement I can give any non-Vellum formatting software.