Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: Will I regret buying a second-hand previous gen Oasis?  (Read 911 times)  

Offline Konolly

• View Profile
Will I regret buying a second-hand previous gen Oasis?
« on: October 31, 2017, 01:41:27 PM »
I currently use a Paperwhite but I'm itching to try something new.

The old Oasis sounds like my dream Kindle as my priorities are long battery life (I've never been impressed with my PW battery) and lightweight. With the old Oasis it looks like I get a super-lightweight kindle, that I can put in the cover to charge when I'm not using it.

It looks like it's been taken off Amazon though, with the new version coming out so I'll need to buy second hand.

So I'm wondering if there is any reason to go for the new Oasis instead of the old one, given my priorities? And also, are there known issues with buying Kindles second-hand in general?

Offline MsSteph

• keep it simple
    • View Profile
Re: Will I regret buying a second-hand previous gen Oasis?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 03:32:26 PM »
I am not sure you have to purchase the 8th generation 2016 Oasis second hand.  It is not offered on the Amazon ad banner across their Kindle page, but if you do a search on the Amazon page for the Kindle Oasis, the old version does come up in the list as available.  Hope that helps :)

Edited to add:  Offered at $289 or $359 with cellular.  Although I bet they drop in price real quick!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 03:49:22 PM by MsSteph »

Offline etexlady

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 04:04:09 PM »
Just got home from work.  I knew the Kindle had been delivered so I was really eager to open the box and get it set up.  By the way my original delivery date was next Monday (the 6th) so I was surprised and delighted when Amazon texted me to say it would be here today.   It's charging now so won't get to play with it for a bit.  I ordered the leather cover in saddle brown as well.  Not sure I like it though.

Offline Konolly

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 12:48:17 AM »
I am not sure you have to purchase the 8th generation 2016 Oasis second hand.  It is not offered on the Amazon ad banner across their Kindle page, but if you do a search on the Amazon page for the Kindle Oasis, the old version does come up in the list as available.  Hope that helps :)

Edited to add:  Offered at $289 or $359 with cellular.  Although I bet they drop in price real quick!

Thanks for this, I'm in the UK though and it looks like they've taken them off the market here :( Although my parents re in the US in a few weeks, perhaps they can pick one up for me.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 04:42:14 AM »
Check on Amazon for certified refurbished. Or maybe ask in our buy/sell/trade/barter section if someone has one to sell.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 10:30:14 AM »
I've bought one Kindle used and one refurbished. Both were fine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Offline kindlecollector

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 06:49:38 PM »
I've bought one Kindle used and one refurbished. Both were fine.

I just today received a used Kindle Voyage bought from an ebay seller that seems to deal in excess inventory from some unspecified sources.  The seller is goodystore and the version I bought is the Wi-Fi and 3G version for about $140.  Condition on mine is as new with not a scratch on it and I had no problem registering it.  It self updated to the latest firmware while I was charging the battery fully after enabling Wi-Fi and registering it.