Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: New oasis -- First Impressions  (Read 10591 times)  

Online ShinyTop

• Pensacola
    • View Profile
Re: New oasis -- First Impressions
« Reply #150 on: December 06, 2017, 07:45:42 AM »
TorontoSS, there are 6 pages of posts about member's first impressions of the new Oasis.  I think within those pages your questions are answered.
Its unlucky to be superstitious.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 06, 2017, 09:50:40 AM »
So my question to all you Kindle Oasis 2017 owners:
- how picky are you with Kindles (I don't even think I'm picky but you can't have a hole in the screen when you read) and how happy are you with your Oasis 2017
- did you find a need to return?
- has anyone found holes?
- has anyone found uneven screens?

I don't think I am picky.  All of my screens on my Kindles have been fine.  As the years go by and the technology gets better, the screens get better also.
To me, the screen on my O2 is evenly lit and has no pinholes or stuck pixels.  I think the color tone is different from my O1, but since I don't keep them side-by-side, it's not really noticeable.

Online ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #152 on: December 06, 2017, 02:32:32 PM »
All the posts about screens have made me decide there are two kinds of Kindle owners: those who can see screen defects invisible to others and those who can't see screen defects visible to others. All of us can see obvious things like pinholes or dark spots such as Atunah had on her first Oasis 2, but some of us just can't see the gradients and cones that bother others. I suppose it's possible that some people get one Kindle after another with screen problems and some never get a Kindle with a problem, but how likely is that when most of us posting in Kindle forums have had  multiple lighted Kindes? I don't think it's as likely as that some people see what others don't.

My Paperwhite had some pinholes, but not when I got it. I realized the ones it had after awhile were my fault because I had a habit of not closing the cover but carrying it from one room to another clutched against my chest where it sometimes rubbed against buttons or whatever on my shirt. None of my lighted screens has ever arrived with a problems I could see. That's a PW, 2 Voyages (returned one when the 3G modem stopped working), an Oasis 1 and an Oasis 2.

When all the discussions about screens came up originally, I took my PW - maybe the Voyage, can't remember for sure - to a dark room, turned the light all the way up and looked straight into the side where the lights were. Yes, then I could see cones, but they disappeared for me under my usual reading conditions.

So I think some people just see things others of us don't. And I think if you are one of those who sees a gradient or whatever noticeable enough to spoil the device for you, you should exchange it or return it.

Offline Brettles1980

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: Yesterday at 06:51:23 AM »
Hi, I have had the unfortunate game of screen lottery this time.

I decided to get an 8gb 2017 Oasis. Turned up and the screen was shocking. VERY bright at the thicker side and going to an unsightly yellow on the thinner side.

I rang Amazon, and tbh they weren't very good. They assured me a new one would be here in a few days. I then got a call back to say it would be 2 weeks. After complaining they upgraded me to the 32gb model. (I had to purchase it and they refunded me 30) Ironically i still had to wait 2 weeks as it went out of stock immediately after ordering...

This one turns up, in day light looked fine, at night it was horrible. Again bright on one side (less noticeable this time) and then yellow on the thinner side. I tried for four days and gave up. It was very distracting. I returned it, they have just refunded me the full amount. Looks like i have the 30 as a free gift from Amazon!.

I then decided to try it one last time from John Lewis. They only sold the 8gb model  but they had plenty in stock, Amazon don't.

This one turned up, and again the screen isn't very good. It is much bluer than the first two, BUT the gradient effect is less. It still has a gradient from blue to yellow but much less noticeable. The thin edge IS still very yellow and the contrast isn't as good as my Voyage. I am going to give it a week and see how i feel. Its funny, when lying in bed if i hold it by the thick side i can read ok, if i then turn it around so im holding the thin side  i get so distracted by the difference in yellow to blue that i cant read...

The Oasis is also painful to hold whilst lying down and i cant find a case i like yet. So the jury is out. the idea of a larger screen is awesome. I am still confused as to why they didnt put the leds both sides of the screen and have the bezel a little thicker.

Online derek87

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: Yesterday at 02:32:29 PM »
Hi, I have had the unfortunate game of screen lottery this time.

I decided to get an 8gb 2017 Oasis. Turned up and the screen was shocking. VERY bright at the thicker side and going to an unsightly yellow on the thinner side.

I rang Amazon, and tbh they weren't very good. They assured me a new one would be here in a few days. I then got a call back to say it would be 2 weeks. After complaining they upgraded me to the 32gb model. (I had to purchase it and they refunded me 30) Ironically i still had to wait 2 weeks as it went out of stock immediately after ordering...

This one turns up, in day light looked fine, at night it was horrible. Again bright on one side (less noticeable this time) and then yellow on the thinner side. I tried for four days and gave up. It was very distracting. I returned it, they have just refunded me the full amount. Looks like i have the 30 as a free gift from Amazon!.

I then decided to try it one last time from John Lewis. They only sold the 8gb model  but they had plenty in stock, Amazon don't.

This one turned up, and again the screen isn't very good. It is much bluer than the first two, BUT the gradient effect is less. It still has a gradient from blue to yellow but much less noticeable. The thin edge IS still very yellow and the contrast isn't as good as my Voyage. I am going to give it a week and see how i feel. Its funny, when lying in bed if i hold it by the thick side i can read ok, if i then turn it around so im holding the thin side  i get so distracted by the difference in yellow to blue that i cant read...

The Oasis is also painful to hold whilst lying down and i cant find a case i like yet. So the jury is out. the idea of a larger screen is awesome. I am still confused as to why they didnt put the leds both sides of the screen and have the bezel a little thicker.

sorry to hear about your woes. i had as good a screen i have seen on any kindle device i've held. the gradient was very very faint and definitely liveable to me but, as you describe, i couldn't find a comfortable way to hold it while lying in bed. my hand literally hurt after holding it for 10-15 minutes.

if you look at my other thread, i then went on a 5 Oasis 1 lottery ticket adventure. i'm done, but i would say the unit i'm keeping is just "acceptable."

i don't know what to tell you except that the only good thing is that you can return it and overall, my experience with customer service in this case has been reasonably good.

Offline Brettles1980

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Today at 12:57:46 AM »
Thanks, the screen will take some time to get used to ha! the size for me is great, but yes it hurts to hold, im trying to find ways to hold it whilst lying down. One thing i do love is holding it whilst im sitting up, feels so well balanced like a book, normally id only feel this with a case on. This is the first kindle ive had without  case.

Online jj2339

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: Today at 04:15:19 PM »
Thanks, the screen will take some time to get used to ha! the size for me is great, but yes it hurts to hold, im trying to find ways to hold it whilst lying down. One thing i do love is holding it whilst im sitting up, feels so well balanced like a book, normally id only feel this with a case on. This is the first kindle ive had without  case.

I had the same issue, it hurt my hand and was uncomfortable when I laid on my side at night and read in bed.   Loved having a larger screen, but wound up returning and back on my original oasis.   

Online KimberlyinMN

• NW Minnesota
  • Kindle Voyage Wi-Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Today at 05:53:15 PM »
I ended up returning both Oasis Kindles. The 2nd one was way more yellower overall. I already had told myself that I was done with "screen games". I'm happily back to using my pretty much perfect Voyage.