Author Topic: New oasis -- First Impressions  (Read 20429 times)  

Offline ShinyTop

• Pensacola
    • View Profile
Re: New oasis -- First Impressions
« Reply #150 on: December 06, 2017, 07:45:42 AM »
TorontoSS, there are 6 pages of posts about member's first impressions of the new Oasis.  I think within those pages your questions are answered.
Its unlucky to be superstitious.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 06, 2017, 09:50:40 AM »
So my question to all you Kindle Oasis 2017 owners:
- how picky are you with Kindles (I don't even think I'm picky but you can't have a hole in the screen when you read) and how happy are you with your Oasis 2017
- did you find a need to return?
- has anyone found holes?
- has anyone found uneven screens?

I don't think I am picky.  All of my screens on my Kindles have been fine.  As the years go by and the technology gets better, the screens get better also.
To me, the screen on my O2 is evenly lit and has no pinholes or stuck pixels.  I think the color tone is different from my O1, but since I don't keep them side-by-side, it's not really noticeable.

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #152 on: December 06, 2017, 02:32:32 PM »
All the posts about screens have made me decide there are two kinds of Kindle owners: those who can see screen defects invisible to others and those who can't see screen defects visible to others. All of us can see obvious things like pinholes or dark spots such as Atunah had on her first Oasis 2, but some of us just can't see the gradients and cones that bother others. I suppose it's possible that some people get one Kindle after another with screen problems and some never get a Kindle with a problem, but how likely is that when most of us posting in Kindle forums have had  multiple lighted Kindes? I don't think it's as likely as that some people see what others don't.

My Paperwhite had some pinholes, but not when I got it. I realized the ones it had after awhile were my fault because I had a habit of not closing the cover but carrying it from one room to another clutched against my chest where it sometimes rubbed against buttons or whatever on my shirt. None of my lighted screens has ever arrived with a problems I could see. That's a PW, 2 Voyages (returned one when the 3G modem stopped working), an Oasis 1 and an Oasis 2.

When all the discussions about screens came up originally, I took my PW - maybe the Voyage, can't remember for sure - to a dark room, turned the light all the way up and looked straight into the side where the lights were. Yes, then I could see cones, but they disappeared for me under my usual reading conditions.

So I think some people just see things others of us don't. And I think if you are one of those who sees a gradient or whatever noticeable enough to spoil the device for you, you should exchange it or return it.

Offline Brettles1980

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 11, 2017, 06:51:23 AM »
Hi, I have had the unfortunate game of screen lottery this time.

I decided to get an 8gb 2017 Oasis. Turned up and the screen was shocking. VERY bright at the thicker side and going to an unsightly yellow on the thinner side.

I rang Amazon, and tbh they weren't very good. They assured me a new one would be here in a few days. I then got a call back to say it would be 2 weeks. After complaining they upgraded me to the 32gb model. (I had to purchase it and they refunded me 30) Ironically i still had to wait 2 weeks as it went out of stock immediately after ordering...

This one turns up, in day light looked fine, at night it was horrible. Again bright on one side (less noticeable this time) and then yellow on the thinner side. I tried for four days and gave up. It was very distracting. I returned it, they have just refunded me the full amount. Looks like i have the 30 as a free gift from Amazon!.

I then decided to try it one last time from John Lewis. They only sold the 8gb model  but they had plenty in stock, Amazon don't.

This one turned up, and again the screen isn't very good. It is much bluer than the first two, BUT the gradient effect is less. It still has a gradient from blue to yellow but much less noticeable. The thin edge IS still very yellow and the contrast isn't as good as my Voyage. I am going to give it a week and see how i feel. Its funny, when lying in bed if i hold it by the thick side i can read ok, if i then turn it around so im holding the thin side  i get so distracted by the difference in yellow to blue that i cant read...

The Oasis is also painful to hold whilst lying down and i cant find a case i like yet. So the jury is out. the idea of a larger screen is awesome. I am still confused as to why they didnt put the leds both sides of the screen and have the bezel a little thicker.

Online derek87

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 11, 2017, 02:32:29 PM »
Hi, I have had the unfortunate game of screen lottery this time.

I decided to get an 8gb 2017 Oasis. Turned up and the screen was shocking. VERY bright at the thicker side and going to an unsightly yellow on the thinner side.

I rang Amazon, and tbh they weren't very good. They assured me a new one would be here in a few days. I then got a call back to say it would be 2 weeks. After complaining they upgraded me to the 32gb model. (I had to purchase it and they refunded me 30) Ironically i still had to wait 2 weeks as it went out of stock immediately after ordering...

This one turns up, in day light looked fine, at night it was horrible. Again bright on one side (less noticeable this time) and then yellow on the thinner side. I tried for four days and gave up. It was very distracting. I returned it, they have just refunded me the full amount. Looks like i have the 30 as a free gift from Amazon!.

I then decided to try it one last time from John Lewis. They only sold the 8gb model  but they had plenty in stock, Amazon don't.

This one turned up, and again the screen isn't very good. It is much bluer than the first two, BUT the gradient effect is less. It still has a gradient from blue to yellow but much less noticeable. The thin edge IS still very yellow and the contrast isn't as good as my Voyage. I am going to give it a week and see how i feel. Its funny, when lying in bed if i hold it by the thick side i can read ok, if i then turn it around so im holding the thin side  i get so distracted by the difference in yellow to blue that i cant read...

The Oasis is also painful to hold whilst lying down and i cant find a case i like yet. So the jury is out. the idea of a larger screen is awesome. I am still confused as to why they didnt put the leds both sides of the screen and have the bezel a little thicker.

sorry to hear about your woes. i had as good a screen i have seen on any kindle device i've held. the gradient was very very faint and definitely liveable to me but, as you describe, i couldn't find a comfortable way to hold it while lying in bed. my hand literally hurt after holding it for 10-15 minutes.

if you look at my other thread, i then went on a 5 Oasis 1 lottery ticket adventure. i'm done, but i would say the unit i'm keeping is just "acceptable."

i don't know what to tell you except that the only good thing is that you can return it and overall, my experience with customer service in this case has been reasonably good.

Offline Brettles1980

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 12, 2017, 12:57:46 AM »
Thanks, the screen will take some time to get used to ha! the size for me is great, but yes it hurts to hold, im trying to find ways to hold it whilst lying down. One thing i do love is holding it whilst im sitting up, feels so well balanced like a book, normally id only feel this with a case on. This is the first kindle ive had without  case.

Offline jj2339

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 12, 2017, 04:15:19 PM »
Thanks, the screen will take some time to get used to ha! the size for me is great, but yes it hurts to hold, im trying to find ways to hold it whilst lying down. One thing i do love is holding it whilst im sitting up, feels so well balanced like a book, normally id only feel this with a case on. This is the first kindle ive had without  case.

I had the same issue, it hurt my hand and was uncomfortable when I laid on my side at night and read in bed.   Loved having a larger screen, but wound up returning and back on my original oasis.   

Offline KimberlyinMN

• NW Minnesota
  • Kindle Voyage Wi-Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 12, 2017, 05:53:15 PM »
I ended up returning both Oasis Kindles. The 2nd one was way more yellower overall. I already had told myself that I was done with "screen games". I'm happily back to using my pretty much perfect Voyage.

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 12, 2017, 07:46:56 PM »
I am a little worried. My first Oasis 2 is due to arrive in 10 days. Prior to ordering it, I collected all my old Kindles and sent them to the trade-in program. The only device I held back is my Fire. In the meantime I am reading my books on the app on the iPad. Boy am I going to feel silly if I dont like the Oasis 2 screen and have to send it back! I may find myself re-buying the Vouage, which served me quite well. Seat tuned.
Words with Friends: Jane917

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline luvmykindle3

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 14, 2017, 01:13:23 PM »
I have had my new oasis now for a few weeks. I dont have any issues with the screen. It is a little awkward to hold. When I turn pages I dont really like the way the buttons work. Not a deal breaker but Im not crazy about the buttons .

I dont use a case when reading, but store in a pouch. It is very light and thin. The size is great. I still like my voyage , but pleased with oasis as well. Once I get used to holding it and not mashing the buttons by mistake I will be fine!! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 25, 2017, 01:24:28 PM »
Got mine today (Christmas). Relevant to the posts above:

Yes, it's cold, but it warms up.
So far, it's not too slippery, because of the lip between the thick and thin portions.
Way brighter than my Paperwhite. A good improvement.
I thought the white text on black background might help with my obtrusive floaters, but so far, I don't care for that.

Overall, it's a keeper!

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 25, 2017, 02:32:30 PM »
So far I love my Oasis2 received yesterday.  I see no screen/lighting issues, it seems perfect to me.  Some of the settings are not quite as intuitive to me even though I've used every e-ink Kindle since the K1, but I am reading the User Guide.

I did immediately buy out of special offers. I just prefer not having that extra swipe and using a magnetic cover to automatically open to whichever place I've left it. I haven't settled on a name and I've only downloaded one book to get used to new things.  It's in a Fintie shell case; definitely heavier than my Voyage in a similar case, but I'm okay with that. I still prefer a covered Kindle and this one offers protection as well as folds back which is more a "real book" feel to me.

I didn't have any trouble changing defaults to my preferred font, size, turning off popular highlights, connecting my Wi-Fi, etc.  I was able to download the collections I wanted on this Kindle, but can't seem to find the books to download within the collections (even looking through All).  The collections show the correct number of books in the collection, but the number downloaded remains at zero.  I wish books already collected started downloading with the collection when you add it to a new Kindle, not just the collection name. Am I doing something wrong there? I currently have the buttons set as bottom for page forward, top to page back, but the more I'm using it I think I will probably switch those around based on where I seem to comfortably hold it.

The main drawback that I have noticed is the lag time for the screen to wake from sleep or when changing back to the home page, getting the top menu to show within a book, etc.  It's not a deal breaker by any means, but it does not seem to be near as instantaneous as prior Kindles.

I haven't checked yet what the latest update number is, but I think I may have one update to make.  After the last update to the Voyage that gave us bolding sliders, the main difference that makes me happy with the O2 is the slightly bigger screen size. I would probably have been content with a new Voyage to get rid of the multiple shiny pinholes on my current Voyage screen, but DH listened to my pleas and ordered me the new toy I asked for!

If I have any change of thoughts as I use the O2 more, I'll let you know! I would currently grade it A- and definitely a keeper.
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

"Never lose sight of the fact that the most important yardstick of your success will be how you treat other people - your family, friends, and coworkers, and even strangers you meet along the way." ~ Barbara Bush

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 25, 2017, 03:32:38 PM »
yay crebel, I was waiting on your views after opening. First thing is it needs to update. Trust me, the lagging will be gone and the cloud and stuff will be worked out. It takes a while to sync all that. Now you do know that you have to download the books one by one from the device, they don't come over with the collections when you put those on downloaded. You can do it from my account and do 10 at a time there.
When you "star" or "download" a collection, as its called now I think, it only shows whats in the cloud. Not whats on device unless you pull them down. But you know all that. I think its still trying to sync up and get the update.

Check what you have, you want at least 5.9.2 although the newest is 5.9.2.0.1

I think my Oasis shipped with 5.8 something and it was not acting totally right. Then it updated and after a bit after that, it synced my cloud and all the stuff.

I too switched the page forward back and forth, but I am now settled on bottom forward, the way I hold it. Took me 2 weeks to settle on something though.

Member since 11/20/2008  | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 25, 2017, 03:56:24 PM »
Thanks, Atunah.  I think it was 5.8...something when it got here, just checked and it has updated itself to 5.9.2.0.1 so I'm good to go.  Even with the update and my playing around with it quite a bit battery has only gone from my initial 100% charge to 96% now as I type and lag time is improved.  That is awesome.

Yes the collection not downloading as a whole when you download a collection to a new device irritates me. I wish it would at least show the books in the cloud collection as a group to download any or all to the new device instead of having to search through 4,000 books in my library to find the ones I want.  I'll get it done one of these days.

Nothing to do with the O2, but going from a Basic Kindle to a new Voyage for Christmas absolutely thrilled my mother. She had no idea what a difference lighting and bolding options would make!

"Never lose sight of the fact that the most important yardstick of your success will be how you treat other people - your family, friends, and coworkers, and even strangers you meet along the way." ~ Barbara Bush

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 25, 2017, 04:04:22 PM »
Thanks, Atunah.  I think it was 5.8...something when it got here, just checked and it has updated itself to 5.9.2.0.1 so I'm good to go.  Even with the update and my playing around with it quite a bit battery has only gone from my initial 100% charge to 96% now as I type and lag time is improved.  That is awesome.

Yes the collection not downloading as a whole when you download a collection to a new device irritates me. I wish it would at least show the books in the cloud collection as a group to download any or all to the new device instead of having to search through 4,000 books in my library to find the ones I want.  I'll get it done one of these days.

Nothing to do with the O2, but going from a Basic Kindle to a new Voyage for Christmas absolutely thrilled my mother. She had no idea what a difference lighting and bolding options would make!
How nice for your mother. That's a nice jump too. Aging eyes do like the light and the bold.

I have like 45 collections so I just download the ones I want on my device then go into those collections and hit the download for those books I want on device. Anything that is next reading, coming up, up next type collections, I download the books. Once that is done I am set.

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 25, 2017, 04:28:27 PM »
How nice for your mother. That's a nice jump too. Aging eyes do like the light and the bold.

I have like 45 collections so I just download the ones I want on my device then go into those collections and hit the download for those books I want on device. Anything that is next reading, coming up, up next type collections, I download the books. Once that is done I am set.

Ok, I'm getting closer. After adding the collection to the new device, open the collection (it tells you "No items from this collection are on this device. Tap All to download items or tap Menu to add items." Before when I was working with this (so pre-update?), "All" took me to my entire 4,000+ library/archives/cloud listing.  Now it goes just to the books within the collection, but I don't have the add boxes to check to download this device. If I choose the menu dots and "add/remove" it goes, again, to my entire cloud listings.  Still confused, but I'll get it figured out.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 25, 2017, 05:34:21 PM »
Ok, I'm getting closer. After adding the collection to the new device, open the collection (it tells you "No items from this collection are on this device. Tap All to download items or tap Menu to add items." Before when I was working with this (so pre-update?), "All" took me to my entire 4,000+ library/archives/cloud listing.  Now it goes just to the books within the collection, but I don't have the add boxes to check to download this device. If I choose the menu dots and "add/remove" it goes, again, to my entire cloud listings.  Still confused, but I'll get it figured out.
Going to add to collection from that menu always just showed me my 3000+ books to add. I just go into the collection that is on the device, then go to "all" on the top left and just tap each book I want. Then they download.

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 25, 2017, 05:59:13 PM »
Going to add to collection from that menu always just showed me my 3000+ books to add. I just go into the collection that is on the device, then go to "all" on the top left and just tap each book I want. Then they download.

That was pretty easy after all.  Not sure why I thought I needed boxes to check instead of just tapping to download.  ::) Thank you very much.  :-*

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 25, 2017, 07:52:29 PM »
That was pretty easy after all.  Not sure why I thought I needed boxes to check instead of just tapping to download.  ::) Thank you very much.  :-*
Anytime  ;D

Just make sure to charge it up if you going to put a lot of books on it at once and it might be a tad laggy while that is going on.

Then enjoy your new Oasis.  :-*

Offline Konolly

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 26, 2017, 09:19:56 AM »
I got an Oasis 2 for Christmas and I'm loving it!

I was a little worried after all the mixed reviews, but so far this model suits me down to the ground. I upgraded from the PW2 and I'm really impressed at how quickly the pages turn compared to the PW, and it's so great to have buttons back!

I'm fortunate enough to be completely undiscerning about screen quality, so I can't see any issues with mine - I do think I prefer the screen/light colour, it looks more book-like than the whiteness of my PW. I do most of my reading at night, and the inverted colours are really pleasant on the eyes in a dark room.

The device is much lighter than I expected, and while it's a touch trickier to hold than the PW, it's well worth it for the extra page space! I had a long reading session in the bath earlier and found it comfortable enough (and it was great not to worry about dropping it in the bath!).

The only niggle for me is how badly fingerprints show up on the front of the device. I bought a skin in advance, but with a plain black front because I was only thinking about the slippiness of the device, not the fingerprints. I'll try the skin out anyway, and if it doesn't help I'll just have to get used to it.

Offline __Amy__

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 29, 2017, 03:32:52 PM »
I just go a screen protector and that solved the problem of finger prints.  Then for some weird reason I received a free case.  I have no idea from where and so I am set.  I really like it.  I do see the gradient but am getting used to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 31, 2017, 09:10:52 AM »
I got an Oasis 2 for Christmas and I'm loving it!

I was a little worried after all the mixed reviews, but so far this model suits me down to the ground. I upgraded from the PW2 and I'm really impressed

Same for me. I've read several books on it now, and its been a big improvement over my PW.

My favorite feature: Disabling the touchscreen. No inadvertent page changes. Yeah, I often have to reenable it to search for a word or make a highlight, but that's worth it.

Only seems cold when I start using it.

It's not too slippery. My fingers are against the lip on the back, and that keeps it in place.

It's plenty bright. This is the first time I haven't needed maximum brightness on an eReader.

I usually keep it in airplane mode, so the battery discharges very slowly. It recharges fast.

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Offline GirlFriday

• Love One Another
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 03, 2018, 02:45:22 PM »
I've had mine for almost two months now and I love it. Best Kindle yet.
Proud owner of a Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, and Phone X

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 14, 2018, 05:04:48 AM »
Well - it took awhile, but I finally caved and traded in my Voyage for the new Oasis.  :D :D :D   I'm expecting delivery on Jan 17th.  They are offering not only the trade-in value but an extra $20 discount when you trade in.. so I saved $85.   Am anxious to see how much better it is than the Voyage, a little anxious since I love my Voyage.  I will buy another Voyage if I really don't like the Oasis 2! 

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 17, 2018, 07:00:48 AM »
Got mine today (Christmas). Relevant to the posts above:

Yes, it's cold, but it warms up.
So far, it's not too slippery, because of the lip between the thick and thin portions.
Way brighter than my Paperwhite. A good improvement.
I thought the white text on black background might help with my obtrusive floaters, but so far, I don't care for that.

Overall, it's a keeper!

Mine just arrived this AM - and yes it is cold and slippery.  Figure it will improve after I put it in a cover and bring it in from the cold!  So far so good.  Now I need to remember how to get my collections downloaded.  Used to import them all at the same time,  but looks like I need to do one at a time??    Anyone find Import Collections on the new Oasis?