Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: New oasis -- First Impressions  (Read 10824 times)  

Offline ShinyTop

• Pensacola
    • View Profile
Re: New oasis -- First Impressions
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2017, 02:21:49 PM »
Just ran a quick battery test.  Charged up til light was green and battery level read 100%.  Since I am 69 and have beginning cataracts I read at level 18, font level 4, bold level 2.  I read for one hour and battery level was at 96%.  That works out to 25 hours of reading.  Of course that does not take into account for whatever level it drops while in sleep mode.  Published reading time is 6 weeks, I think. That is at level 10.  Daily reading time for their calculations is 30 minutes a day which works out to 42 days or 21 hours.  So my test is close enough for government work.  Since I have many battery powered devices I usually charge them when not in use except for my Kindles.  Looks like I will make days between charges.  I probably read more than many since I am retired. 
Its unlucky to be superstitious.

Offline DD

• K1,K2,KK,Touch,FireHD,PW2, Voyage,Oasis1,Oasis2
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2017, 07:56:35 AM »
Oh yeah! Those look promising if I can't find a suitable cover. Thanks!

(Duct tape would be less desirable -- except at least they do have colored versions now. :) )

I think Ive seen a cut-to-fit version of this product. Cant recall where right now.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning the devil says, "OH DAMN, SHE'S UP!". ~Member #484

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline Judith

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2017, 11:18:13 AM »
I'm about ready to buy my son a new Oasis for Christmas.  Is there a good reason to buy the 32 gb instead of the 8 gb?  Thanks

Offline ShinyTop

• Pensacola
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2017, 11:23:03 AM »
32 gig gives more room for audible books.  Since all purchases are on the web and can be redownloaded as needed 8 gig is enough if not doing audible.  That said having more room is better than not enough.
Its unlucky to be superstitious.

Offline mistyd107

• Alvarado Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2017, 11:45:51 AM »
I am disabled and spend a lot of time in my wheelchair. I have the oasis on order. Can anyone Give me an idea of how the new larger size is to balance on your lap?? Any thoughts appreciated
Totals Read in 2014: Books-9  Pgs-3,156  Loc-44,841

Offline Tunji99

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2017, 06:13:16 PM »
I am disabled and spend a lot of time in my wheelchair. I have the oasis on order. Can anyone Give me an idea of how the new larger size is to balance on your lap?? Any thoughts appreciated

I just test my Oasis on my lap and I would say that with the cover on it's pretty balanced. I don't feel like it's going to fall or anything as long as I don't shake it too much. Without the cover, to me the Aluminum back felt a bit slippery and since it's weight distribution is not symmetrical I think it has a chance to slip off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline WenRob

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2017, 07:02:34 PM »
Never posted before but wanted to chime in here. I spent Wednesday evening and most of yesterday reading on the new Oasis with it in my lap. I tended to just rest in on my right thigh just below my knee with my right hand lightly supporting it, thumb resting on the lower button. Even later when I moved to the couch I found myself holding it that way. For whatever reason its just how I naturally held it. I found it comfortable to use that way especially without having a case.

Ive had the Kindle Keyboard, Voyage and Now the Oasis 2. I LOVE the Oasis 2. The bigger screen and real buttons alone were worth the price to me. Ive been happy with the Voyage but felt like I was constantly turning the page and having to mash the buttons to get them to turn. The Oasis 2 is nothing but a pleasure to use so far.

Offline mistyd107

• Alvarado Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2017, 07:56:13 PM »
I just test my Oasis on my lap and I would say that with the cover on it's pretty balanced. I don't feel like it's going to fall or anything as long as I don't shake it too much. Without the cover, to me the Aluminum back felt a bit slippery and since it's weight distribution is not symmetrical I think it has a chance to slip off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thank you

Offline mistyd107

• Alvarado Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2017, 08:03:31 PM »
Never posted before but wanted to chime in here. I spent Wednesday evening and most of yesterday reading on the new Oasis with it in my lap. I tended to just rest in on my right thigh just below my knee with my right hand lightly supporting it, thumb resting on the lower button. Even later when I moved to the couch I found myself holding it that way. For whatever reason its just how I naturally held it. I found it comfortable to use that way especially without having a case.

Ive had the Kindle Keyboard, Voyage and Now the Oasis 2. I LOVE the Oasis 2. The bigger screen and real buttons alone were worth the price to me. Ive been happy with the Voyage but felt like I was constantly turning the page and having to mash the buttons to get them to turn. The Oasis 2 is nothing but a pleasure to use so far.

Thank you. That is pretty close to how I read. Ive never had issues with my kindles and reading in my wheelchair. But the iPad mini is not exactly comfortable to use in my wheelchair  so I was a bit concerned. A normal chair Im fine either way. Because of my hand issues I always use a cover

« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 04:47:41 AM by Ann in Arlington »

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
  • Five-Star Ranking Agent 337
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2017, 08:06:47 PM »
Has anyone here sprung for the 32GB model? Is it worth it?

Offline nikkidog

• Ohio
  • Happy Voyage, Oasis and Oasis2 owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2017, 04:51:39 AM »
Has anyone here sprung for the 32GB model? Is it worth it?

I bought the 32 GB.  If your going to listen to audio books, it is definitely worth it. They take up a lot of space.  I have never done that, so not sure it was.  Im never going to run out of space for books.  It will hold thousands.  I didnt spring for the 3G.  I did that on my first Oasis and Voyage but have never used it.

Offline nikkidog

• Ohio
  • Happy Voyage, Oasis and Oasis2 owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2017, 04:59:20 AM »

I also read with it balanced in my lap.  Ive had no problems.  I Like to read with the cover on.  I have other Kindles and always took them out of the cover to reduce the weight , but I find the new Oasis is just to slippery, so I leave the cover on.  I fold the front back so that would take care of the cold back, if that would bother you.

Offline rlkubi

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2017, 07:27:25 AM »
I love the new Oasis but don't like the cover at all! It's going back and i hope options become available soon because i prefer reading with a cover.

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2017, 07:29:58 AM »
Wondering - to those of you that bought this,  do you think its really worth the money?   As the Kindles keep going up in price,  I find it harder to justify the upgrades when I'm happy with what I have.

Offline rlkubi

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2017, 07:34:39 AM »
 Border collie, which kindle do you have now?

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2017, 07:36:36 AM »
Border collie, which kindle do you have now?

I am reading my Voyage.

Offline rlkubi

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2017, 07:47:00 AM »
I loved my voyage!   That said I have the first Oasis and now the new one.   I bought the new one to try out before trading my old one.   But I'm liking the new one more and more I have to say.  I like the waterproof for going to pool etc.  If you like smaller than the first one would be better.   Again your call because I love the voyage.   Look at some of the reviews and make a decision or do what I did and order for hands on review.

Offline WenRob

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 04, 2017, 08:29:55 AM »
Wondering - to those of you that bought this,  do you think its really worth the money?   As the Kindles keep going up in price,  I find it harder to justify the upgrades when I'm happy with what I have.
For me, it absolutely is. I went from a Kindle Keyboard to the Voyage. I love my Voyage and actually recoiled at the idea of trading it in. She will be staying at home with me where she belongs. That said, Ive always wanted something a little more substantial to hold onto and a bigger screen. For those reasons and my love for the adaptive lighting I never even considered the original Oasis. When the Oasis 2 was announced its like Amazon was reading my mind, I didnt hesitate to order it. And Im glad I did. Its a joy to use, more words on the page, real buttons, perfect lighting (personally never had an issue with the Voyages lighting but this is definitely cleaner) and something to hold onto. The only thing I miss from the Voyage is page turns from both sides. Not a big deal IMO, I can flip it if I want. With the Voyage I was very much aware I was using an e-reader, with the Oasis 2 that feeling melts away and its easier for me to get lost in the book. Of course this all subjective and will depend what you want from a reader. This had everything Id been waiting for so it worth it to me.

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2017, 08:33:04 AM »
Okay, you convinced me  (along with other reviews) ..  I will wait until it arrives and I like it before I sell the Voyage (I have an Oberon cover for it so I would probably do better if I sell it myself).   I'm so gullible!!

Delivery on the 14th and I don't get the cover until the 29th (saddle leather)..  Actually, compared to earlier releases, that isn't bad!! 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 08:42:27 AM by bordercollielady »

Offline rlkubi

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 04, 2017, 08:58:26 AM »
 Cool!  It may come earlier because mine want scheduled until 11/7.  Let us know!

Offline bordercollielady

• Westminster, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2017, 02:10:05 PM »
Cool!  It may come earlier because mine want scheduled until 11/7.  Let us know!

Well I just cancelled my order.  I really do love the Voyage and I'm not sure I want a larger reader.  no need for waterproof.  I may change my mind later.  Maybe if the resolution was changing but its not.   Maybe later.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2017, 05:37:20 PM »
Well, after being upset about getting a Oasis with a spot on the screen, and a pretty stressful chat experience with 5 different folks, I got a replacement today.

First off, the first one had a dot in the middle, which was either an stuck e-ink pixel, or something under the screen. The screen also looked dim on one side top corner, like one of the lights wasn't all the way lit up. When I checked it again today after getting the new one, I noticed a second dot near the first one that was not there before. So I just think that screen had issues.

I received the replacement which was shipped from the Warehouse and was not in a original packaging. It just had the plastic and was taped to cardboard in a refurbished box. Now, given that it only came out on the 31st, I assume they just set aside a lot for replacements as I don't think there is any time for refurbs to happen yet. Oasis looked of course brand new, as I believe it is.

It is perfect. No spots, light totally even all across.

I only had a bit of time to play with it and it is faster than the Oasis and Voyage, although neither of those is slow by any means. It is not too heavy for me to hold, but I haven't read for hours yet. I love making the font on home page larger, which gives the percentage on the battery. Although the top menu items get smaller when you do that.

I won't use the inverted and won't audible on it probably. So for me it was all about continuing to have a kindle with buttons.

I didn't think I needed or wanted a larger device, but its kind of really nice. It feels really solid and well made.

The buttons are a bit smaller than the old Oasis, but still seem to work fine with my hands. I haven't read long enough to know for sure. I did reverse them so the bottom one is next as default is top for next. I did the same on the old Oasis.

I am glad now I asked for a replacement, even though it wasn't a super pleasant experience for me.

Really happy with having this new one. I also have the saddle tan cover and it works pretty well for me. I don't use the stand and it stays on well. I will only read out of the cover, so I use it like the old Oasis. Read and then put it in when I take a break.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2017, 05:54:39 PM »
Well, after being upset about getting a Oasis with a spot on the screen, and a pretty stressful chat experience with 5 different folks, I got a replacement today.

I am glad now I asked for a replacement, even though it wasn't a super pleasant experience for me.

Really happy with having this new one. I also have the saddle tan cover and it works pretty well for me. I don't use the stand and it stays on well. I will only read out of the cover, so I use it like the old Oasis. Read and then put it in when I take a break.

That's great, Atunah!  I'm so glad you persevered and the first replacement makes you happy.
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

Offline CS

• Parts Unknown
  • Five-Star Ranking Agent 337
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2017, 07:25:02 PM »

So glad to hear this! I was checking this thread specifically for updates on your Oasis replacement. :)

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2017, 05:20:20 AM »
Hello guys, really enjoying my new Oasis.

Here are my thoughts:

Hello guys! As those who've read my signature reviews know, I too am a long-time Kindle reader who has had a mixed history with front-lit Kindles, but begrudgingly gotten used to them over time - and happily noted sufficient quality progress to make this issue mostly go away. I am still quite anxious about new Kindles when they arrive, whether or not the screen will pass muster, as quite a bit of individual variation has existed between units...

Long story short, got the new Kindle Oasis (3G, no ads) again with one of the Amazon (cloth) covers. This replaces my old Kindle Oasis as a daily reader, which had the black leather cover. I went with a cloth cover this time, not due to price, but due to my wish for a little bit of change. The texture of the cloth covers seemed nice in the pictures and in real-life it did not disappoint. This is by far my most favorite cover of all Kindles (and that's saying a lot because I used to love the integrated light in older basic Kindle covers)... I'm not quite as big a fan of the aluminium of the actual device as a look, but it is OK. The important part, what I see when reading, looks very nice.

The new cover does feature the standing-up action, a bit similar (but less fidgety) than the Kindle Voyage cover, but blissfully this time implemented in such a manner that the feature can be ignored. I don't need it, so I'll just never twist the cover in that direction... The cover connects in a magnetic action nearly (but not quite) as satisfying as the original Oasis, but of course this time the cover does not have a battery, which I don't either like or dislike. Together these are indeed somewhat heavier and thicker than the old Oasis (combined weight 305 g vs. 236 g for the old), but it is OK. Charging has moved from top to bottom - I would have welcomed a USB-C connector, but again, this is fine.

Biggest deal, apart from being This Year's Kindle (always a Yay!), is of course the larger screen. As some may recall, I did like the Kobo Aura H2O (see my signature) with its 6.8" screen. I haven't used it that much recently, but it has remained the best e-ink screen on any device I own - it is just that its ecosystem or software are not a match for Amazon. Anyway, the funky old Kindle DX aside (that's too big for normal books), Amazon just hasn't had larger screens and I was really looking forward to getting one...

I am happy to say the screen is very nice. Now, let's be honest, the lighting once again isn't perfectly even - there is a gradient towards the left, but mine doesn't have any big anomalies and has less stagelighting on the right compared to my old Kindle Oasis. Lower edge of the screen is a tad bit brighter than the rest of the gradient on full blast, but then I never use it on full blast. No pinholes, dirt stuck inside the screen and no tilted screen. It is once again a good enough screen in this regard. And looking beyond that, I am very happy to report it brings with itself its own rewards: it really is a subtle but really appreciable change size-wise. Someone mentioned that it looks more like a book now and I must agree it does.

The new features, Audible support (also for the old Oasis, nice touch that) and the Voyage-like light sensor I don't find interesting and don't expect to use, but they are welcome and result in one less thing for anyone to consider between Voyage and Oasis or an older audio-enabled Kindle. I also appreciate the new software features to adjust font boldness etc., though I thought the default settings still look pretty nice with maybe a font change. Mine did ship with the old firmware, so it took an upgrade to 5.9.2 to get the boldness adjustment etc., and this was available from the get-go through the menu.

No question about it, this is a keeper and is now my daily reader. A good, solid upgrade. Also, it is noticeably snappier at changing pages compared to the old Oasis, even when using the full-screen refresh I like to use. So, all in all, a good buy!

p.s. I loved the glossy printing of the boy reading the book under the tree inside the Kindle Oasis box. A nice touch.