Need a new Case? Save $30 with code SPARKLE30 + Free Shipping at Case-Mate.com! Offer ends 12/15.

Author Topic: New oasis -- First Impressions  (Read 10678 times)  

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Re: New oasis -- First Impressions
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2017, 05:42:41 AM »
FearIndex, we've come a long way now with kindles, haven't we. From the unlit, to the light covers and now the much more evenly lit screens. The first Paperwhite which I gave to me husband looks like a bad experiment now compared to the Oasis and Voyage too, which mine has a great screen.

It is very snappy this new one, isn't it. Now I have to look for the boy and the tree in my box. I didn't even notice. Of course my replacement came in just a brown box without the blue sleeve.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2017, 09:16:07 AM »
So I tested out the audible thingie, with a KU borrow that has the free audiobook with it. I wanted to do dishes and clean the kitchen, so my Echo wouldn't work as its a bit too far. But I have a square bluetooth speaker I put in the kitchen. It works very flawless I have to say. Hooks up right away. I wanted to see how much battery it uses. I listened for an hour and started with battery at 82%. I had wifi off, bluetooth on of course. After the hour, my battery was at 71%. So it takes about 10% or so for one hour of listening. I am still on my very first charge though so we'll see.

I also changed the buttons back to default, top forward. The opposite than I have on my old Oasis. For some reasons, size probably, its a bit easier for me to put my hand higher up and not try to balance the corner in my palm. I have small hands so maybe my thumbs are short.  ;D Just seems to work better. So I am not holding it by the corner, but by the side and wide thickness.

Offline northofdivision

• Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2017, 10:14:28 AM »
Hello guys, really enjoying my new Oasis.

Here are my thoughts:

Thanks for the review. Similar impressions. For me, light will seemingly never be perfect and this new Oasis is no exception. Light is smoother and brighter with my eyes from the thicker side then softer and darker on the other thin side. It's not splotchy at all though and it doesn't bother me all that much. In the pitch dark, i've been using inverted text and it's wonderful. Lighting niggle aside, it's still a very beautiful Kindle in aesthetic and in use. It's not my daily driver as it's too big for my backpocket (so my Oasis one still holds that crown) but I followed Ann's set up and now I keep it on my nightstand and the occasional field trip to the coffeehouse.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 10:16:10 AM by northofdivision »
Stanley
=====
Blackberry KeyOne, Ipad Air2
Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis
Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Aura One 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline DD

• K1,K2,KK,Touch,FireHD,PW2, Voyage,Oasis1,Oasis2
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2017, 11:07:46 AM »
Well, after being upset about getting a Oasis with a spot on the screen, and a pretty stressful chat experience with 5 different folks, I got a replacement today...

I'm so happy that it worked out well for you.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning the devil says, "OH DAMN, SHE'S UP!". ~Member #484

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline LDB

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2017, 02:51:42 PM »
Mine arrived a half hour or so ago. It is slowly downloading all the stuff I sent to it while waiting for it. Did I mention slowly?

The lighting is definitely inferior to the original Oasis. The original had maybe 5500k color temperature, pure white. This one has maybe 4000k color temperature, yellow tinged. I definitely like the 5500k better. And those are guesstimates so if I'm off some don't shoot me. Minus points.

The larger screen is nice. It's a few extra lines per page compared side by side. I like that. Plus points.

I got the blue cloth cover. It seems just fine and I'll like the easel feature when I'm reading at lunch. Plus points.

Auto bright doesn't do it. It sets it to 9 while I set it to 20 on my own. I guess I like bright. Minus points.

The power button is still on the top but the charging port is now on the bottom. I kind of liked having them together in one spot plus if you want to read while plugged in the cord isn't in the way like it is now. Minus points.

The home screen list view shows 8 items per page rather than 7. Plus points.

I'm sure there will be more plus and minus as I continue using it. Overall I'm pleased and looking forward to using it.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2017, 02:59:42 PM »
Mine arrived a half hour or so ago. It is slowly downloading all the stuff I sent to it while waiting for it. Did I mention slowly?

The lighting is definitely inferior to the original Oasis. The original had maybe 5500k color temperature, pure white. This one has maybe 4000k color temperature, yellow tinged. I definitely like the 5500k better. And those are guesstimates so if I'm off some don't shoot me. Minus points.

The larger screen is nice. It's a few extra lines per page compared side by side. I like that. Plus points.

I got the blue cloth cover. It seems just fine and I'll like the easel feature when I'm reading at lunch. Plus points.

Auto bright doesn't do it. It sets it to 9 while I set it to 20 on my own. I guess I like bright. Minus points.

The power button is still on the top but the charging port is now on the bottom. I kind of liked having them together in one spot plus if you want to read while plugged in the cord isn't in the way like it is now. Minus points.

The home screen list view shows 8 items per page rather than 7. Plus points.

I'm sure there will be more plus and minus as I continue using it. Overall I'm pleased and looking forward to using it.
I held both of my Oasisissies (what the heck is plural) next to each other and my old one has a greenish tint to it, while the new one has a warmer, reddish or a wee bit pink. Wouldn't notice unless I hold them. I do have to turn the light on the new one up a notch more than the old one. Otherwise, my new replacement has flawless screen, my first one (O2) had some gradient.

Have you tried training the auto light? I am still not sure if I'll keep it on. My issue is more that I tend to tilt around towards and away just slightly from a side lamp while reading, so it keeps changing. I go into a closet or bathroom with no light, wait a few seconds for my eyes to adjust and then I put the auto light at the low light I would like to have. Then I hold it under a bright lamp and set the highest light I want to have. I think I did it twice and now it stays at the levels I trained it at. For me its never go above 14 and 9 at night. Should work for 20 also and whatever you want as low.

Mine was really slow and buggy when I first got it. First thing of course it did was get the update, but then even after that, it kept locking up. I had to restart twice. Then I just left it alone and haven't had any issues since. Wonder if it has to sync the cloud for a while, or the update is still doing stuff in the backround for a while. I only have a handful of books on it for now.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 03:01:47 PM by Atunah »

Offline quadtronix

• New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2017, 04:00:32 PM »
Well it's been about a week now since I got my Oasis 2017. I just wanted to update my original first impressions.

I had reported to you all that in the first hour of using my new Oasis there was one time that I had hit the page forward button and nothing happened. I'm happy to report that it never happened again and I have been putting this thing through it's paces all week!!! Id say I've averaged 2 or more hours a day of reading this week but I'm not entirely sure about that.

Battery is holding up great!!! Just recharged it for the first time since the initial charge. I started using auto brightness on the second or third day I had it but I calibrated it like I learned on this forum... my low is 15 and my high is 18. I like the screen to be fairly bright...

I've been using it mostly with the cover on but sometimes I take it off and lay it down next to me especially if I want to flip the Oasis upside down and don't want the Amazon logo/name in the corner of the cover to be upside down on the back.

So I have been using the new Oasis exclusively for this past week and it should be my daily driver for the foreseeable future as far as Kindles are concerned but as I stated previously half my ebooks are on nook so I plan to buy the new Nook Glowlight 3 on Wednesday this week and then start catching up on my nook library as well as reading more on my new Kindle...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline LDB

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2017, 04:28:25 PM »
I wasn't aware of the training feature. I'll check on that. Thanks.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 06, 2017, 04:40:19 PM »
It kind of learns as you keep adjusting the settings.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 06, 2017, 04:55:14 PM »
It kind of learns as you keep adjusting the settings.

I've found that to be the case, as well -- the more you learn it the more accurately it adjusts. If you want to teach it faster, you can set the high/low settings . . . I just posted a thread in the tips and tricks section with the way to do that: http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,257734.0.html

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline lindnet

• Redding, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 06, 2017, 04:58:08 PM »
I'm glad to know I wasn't crazy for thinking the metal was cold and slick.  I like to read without a cover and I'm really worried about the lack of grip on this thing. 

It sure is pretty, though, and I like the buttons. 
Linda

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 06, 2017, 05:01:37 PM »
I'm glad to know I wasn't crazy for thinking the metal was cold and slick.  I like to read without a cover and I'm really worried about the lack of grip on this thing. 

It sure is pretty, though, and I like the buttons. 

Did you see my post about the grippy sticker things I found . . . . . it's still a bit cold, but it helps a lot with the grippiness.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline lindnet

• Redding, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 06, 2017, 05:26:36 PM »
Did you see my post about the grippy sticker things I found . . . . . it's still a bit cold, but it helps a lot with the grippiness.

Yes, I did!  That could definitely be an option.  Thanks for sharing!
Linda

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
  • Member #3406
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 07, 2017, 12:08:36 AM »
FearIndex, I like the fabric cover a lot too. The Amazon covers for the new Oasis got bad reviews on Amazon (so I've heard) and some here don't like it very much. Mine is in charcoal color.  I don't care too much about the bending of the front to make a stand, but I have used it.  A few times while at my desk the cover came apart from the Oasis. Recently it came off just before I got off the subway train at my stop, but I got it back on and managed to get off the train with my things intact.
New York, NY
Flutist, Legal Services Professional
Readers:  Paperwhite 2 (2013), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline FearIndex

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2017, 02:21:24 AM »
FearIndex, I like the fabric cover a lot too. The Amazon covers for the new Oasis got bad reviews on Amazon (so I've heard) and some here don't like it very much. Mine is in charcoal color.  I don't care too much about the bending of the front to make a stand, but I have used it.  A few times while at my desk the cover came apart from the Oasis. Recently it came off just before I got off the subway train at my stop, but I got it back on and managed to get off the train with my things intact.

Good to know mlewis78. Will have to keep an eye on the cover slipping off! So far no issues there, but as said, I think it feels slightly easier to slip out then with the old Oasis or with Voyage magnetic covers. Bigger issue may be for me that the new Oasis indeed is more exposed on the back side than the old slightly inwards bending shape that left more space between the table and the Kindle proper...

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 07, 2017, 07:07:29 AM »
Mine was delivered on the 31st, but I didn't get it until I got home on the 5th.  I have the 32GB cellular model w/o SO.  I did not order a case yet.
My initial impressions are favorable.  I didn't get the software update until I connected it to wifi, so Amazon's policy of not sending updates over the cellular network seem to be holding.  Iif you have the cellular version and haven't received the update with the bold slider options, connect to a wifi network somewhere if you don't want to manually download and install it.
The larger size feels more balanced in my hand than the original Oasis.  I can definitely read this one without feeling like it's going to slip out of my hand.  I don't have strong feelings one way or the other about the aluminum back, but the bezel is showing more fingerprints than I can tolerate.  As soon as Decal Girl gets skins up for it, I will be getting one.
I held it up next to my original Kindle and it's about the same width, about 2" shorter and a LOT thinner.
I think the screen is pretty good and with the bold options I can use a smaller font.  So I get a lot more text on the page than on my previous Kindles.
I tried the inverted text and it is pretty clean, but I notice a flash of some sort when I change the page, so I went back to regular display with a lower light level. 
The light level seems to be adjusting to my habits better than the one on the Voyage did.  I've only had to tweak it a few times.  It tends to err on the darker side.
I've had a couple of marathon reading sessions (3-4 hours) and am pretty happy.  I still have a little over half of a full charge.  It will take a while to determine whether battery life has improved at all - but at least I won't get that stupid message about my charging cover being low.

Offline larryb52

• one day at a time
    • View Profile
Re: New oasis -- First Impressions- battery issues-Amazon CS
« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2017, 09:50:09 AM »
I have had battery issues since I got it but let it run its course and had to recharge on maybe 15 hours of reading maybe and I run it at 13 in airplane mode and no books indexing...IMO it should be better as my Oasis 1 did better. I only kept my voyage as I was not a big fan of the charging cover and traded in the oasis 1 and my paperwhite 3...Well I now know what Atunah went through with CS and I did the phone call and I had worked phones in lending for better than 40 years but the folks that man those phones just don't use their ears. Very frustrated right now and I do have a replacement coming as I stuck to my guns and I had to get a bit heavy handed and this is suppose to be for pleasure I'm not suppose to get my BP up...sorry for the rant, I like  this reader just would like to get one
Larry

Offline chele162

• Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2017, 11:54:55 AM »
I have had battery issues since I got it but let it run its course and had to recharge on maybe 15 hours of reading maybe and I run it at 13 in airplane mode and no books indexing...IMO it should be better as my Oasis 1 did better. I only kept my voyage as I was not a big fan of the charging cover and traded in the oasis 1 and my paperwhite 3...Well I now know what Atunah went through with CS and I did the phone call and I had worked phones in lending for better than 40 years but the folks that man those phones just don't use their ears. Very frustrated right now and I do have a replacement coming as I stuck to my guns and I had to get a bit heavy handed and this is suppose to be for pleasure I'm not suppose to get my BP up...sorry for the rant, I like  this reader just would like to get one

Wow, that's disappointing but I'm glad that you're getting a replacement! My mom's new Kindle Oasis is having battery trouble too. She charged it maybe a day and half ago and the battery is already few low. It definitely doesn't seem normal. She does keep the light brightness higher but she keeps the wifi off. I've been dreading calling support because it's just not a fun experience. This doesn't make me look forward to it anymore. I'm sorry that it was a pain but it's good that you've got a replacement coming!

Offline shinmina

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2017, 01:49:34 PM »
hello - has anyone noticed that the e-ink on the newest 2017 oasis is rather light, in comparison to the voyage?

i have the older oasis at home as well, so i will compare later when i get the chance.

but man it's been like russian roulette with these devices. idk how many returns and refurbs i've done trying to get that perfect kindle

---

i just got off the phone with amazon kindle support - he says their specialists says that this is the intended design  :( hazy gray ink?? ??

Offline quadtronix

• New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2017, 01:57:04 PM »
hello - has anyone noticed that the e-ink on the newest 2017 oasis is rather light, in comparison to the voyage?

i have the older oasis at home as well, so i will compare later when i get the chance.

but man it's been like russian roulette with these devices. idk how many returns and refurbs i've done trying to get that perfect kindle

---

i just got off the phone with amazon kindle support - he says their specialists says that this is the intended design  :( hazy gray ink?? ??
Have u tried the new feature that lets you increase the boldness?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 09, 2017, 02:01:11 PM »

---

Are you saying your Oasis2 is lighter than the Voyage by light levels? I am not sure I understand. I have old oasis, Voyage and now new Oasis. They are all 3 a tad different. Wouldn't know or notice unless I hold them next to each other. The old Oasis is a bit more on the green spectrum while the new one more on the pin/red. Very very slightly and again,  not something I would see otherwise. They are both looking a nice whitish. Not print paper white thankfully, too white that one. Just a pleasant one. But that all depends on where you put the light.

There are always some variations on e-ink screen, but the only way one would know is if one has a chance to put a bunch next to each other. Not sure what the point of that would be though. I haven't really had much issues since the first paperwhite came out. Now there was a disturbing light pattern and shadows on that. I would have kept my first Oasis2 if it hadn't been for the black dots.

Offline shinmina

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2017, 02:11:30 PM »
Are you saying your Oasis2 is lighter than the Voyage by light levels? I am not sure I understand. I have old oasis, Voyage and now new Oasis. They are all 3 a tad different. Wouldn't know or notice unless I hold them next to each other. The old Oasis is a bit more on the green spectrum while the new one more on the pin/red. Very very slightly and again,  not something I would see otherwise. They are both looking a nice whitish. Not print paper white thankfully, too white that one. Just a pleasant one. But that all depends on where you put the light.

There are always some variations on e-ink screen, but the only way one would know is if one has a chance to put a bunch next to each other. Not sure what the point of that would be though. I haven't really had much issues since the first paperwhite came out. Now there was a disturbing light pattern and shadows on that. I would have kept my first Oasis2 if it hadn't been for the black dots.

sure, while there is a difference between the color "tones" of the screens, my complaint is more about the darkness of the e-ink. as in the contrast between the text and the background on my voyage is markedly better than on my new oasis.

i tried to capture it in a photo.. new oasis on the right, voyage on the left. doesn't the text on the voyage look a lot darker and thus crisper?

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPEcnxmpFZwg8MBieagfTdM-f621XUt1S7Fiodd
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 02:29:14 PM by shinmina »

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2017, 02:17:03 PM »
sure, while there is a difference between the color "tones" of the screens, my complaint is more about the darkness of the e-ink. as in the contrast between the text and the background on my voyage is markedly better than on my new oasis.

i tried to capture it in a photo.. new oasis on the right, voyage on the left. doesn't the text on the voyage look a lot darker and thus crisper?
Its hard to tell for sure, it might be wee tad darker on the Voyage, the text that is. Looking at it without the bold setting. But now that we have that, once I put it to at least bold #1, its the same. I always thought also though that my Voyage had a wee bit better contrast as my Oasis1. But again, now with bold options, that is all a moot point. By any chance, do you have the new update yet for the Oasis2? I read on bold #3 palatino now. I used to read on no bold bookerly. I didn't like palatino before at all, it was way to thin. Now I can't stop reading on it with bold.

I think you are going to drive yourself crazy trying to compare every device out there and wanting something other than what you have. Greener grass and all. I think what is important is, can you comfortably read on it. I think sometimes, and I fall prey to that also, we have this "new gadget" obsession. For a while when we first get it. Starting at every little pixel, corner, button, etc. I try now to just sit down and start reading on a new kindle. If I can do that and raise my head half hour later back to reality, I am set.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 02:19:45 PM by Atunah »

Offline larryb52

• one day at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 09, 2017, 03:43:30 PM »
Wow, that's disappointing but I'm glad that you're getting a replacement! My mom's new Kindle Oasis is having battery trouble too. She charged it maybe a day and half ago and the battery is already few low. It definitely doesn't seem normal. She does keep the light brightness higher but she keeps the wifi off. I've been dreading calling support because it's just not a fun experience. This doesn't make me look forward to it anymore. I'm sorry that it was a pain but it's good that you've got a replacement coming!

don't be afraid to call , just insist on a replacement, I tried all the usual things wiping it clean and just put the one book on but it started to again drain too fast. They took your mom's $ make sure its right. I cannot accept anything less for any price...so please don't take my situation wrong. You have to be your own best advocate...
Larry

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac