Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?
KB Featured
Flight of the Tarantula Hawk
by Michael Allan Scott

$0.99
Kindle Edition published 2014-02-10
Bestseller ranking: 4698

Product Description
On the IndieReader Best Book list and featured on NBC's Daytime Show, the second book in the Lance Underphal Mystery series is part of a new breed of supernatural thrillers which can be read and enjoyed in any order. Dark, different, featuring a damaged psychic, this is one of those disturbing novels that keeps you guessing.

Download the sample or use the "Look inside" feature for a FREE E-book offer.

Supernatural Murder Mystery - Realtor Carla Simon has her first showing in nearly eighteen months. Recovering from a nervous breakdown, she arrives at the bank-owned foreclosure well ahead of her prospect. When her buyer pins her against the wall, it turns out to be the last house she'll ever show.

Looking for a new breed of supernatural thrillers? Paranormal mysteries of murder and suspense? Perhaps a psychic detective series which can be read and enjoyed in any order? Or maybe one of t...

Author Topic: New Oasis Firmware Verson?  (Read 821 times)  

Offline cko1xxxx

• View Profile
New Oasis Firmware Verson?
« on: November 01, 2017, 07:49:50 AM »
I just received my new Kinfle Oasis 2017 (the bigger one) and the firmware version is 5.9.2 (3250690044).  I've been reading other forums re this reader and it seems to have shipped with several firmware versions. Does anyone know what the most current is?

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
Re: New Oasis Firmware Verson?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 07:56:03 AM »
I have 5.9.2. That's after an immediate update that came down as soon as I turned it on an connected it to my account/wifi. Pretty sure that's the latest. Further, there is nothing available to download on Amazon. . . so I think that's it.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Mikeb71

• Maine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 11:10:57 AM »
5.9.2 here as well, same as Ann, the update happened very quickly after setting it up.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
  • Member #3406
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 07:12:25 PM »
I have 5.9.2. Is there a way to bold any font type? I don't see it. I've been using Helvetica, because it's darker than some of the others, but not as dark as Amazon Ember Bold.
New York, NY
Flutist, Legal Services Professional
Readers:  Paperwhite 2 (2013), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
  • Member #3406
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 04:04:59 AM »
How do you adjust the bold with 5.9.2 update?

I don't see it in the font settings. Maybe there is no bold option, except for the Amazon Ember Bold font. Anyone know?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 04:22:04 AM by mlewis78 »
New York, NY
Readers:  Paperwhite 2 (2013), Fire HD6 (2014 pink), 2012 K4(black), K4(silver), KFHD 7", K3 that won't charge, Kindle DX (US), Sony PRS-350, B&N Nook STR and Bookeen Cybook Opus

Offline nikkidog

• Ohio
  • Happy Voyage, Oasis and Oasis2 owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 04:22:22 AM »
How do you adjust the bold with 5.9.2 update?

I don't see it in the font settings. Someone on Mobileread mentioned a slider. Where is that, if that is how it works? I have a slider for the font size.

The slider is right under the font types.  Its listed  as Bold and right under bold is Size.

I hope this helps.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 05:09:29 AM »
As nikki said . . .it's in the font settings. You have to be in a book, but once you set it it will be the same for any book you open (if supported; turns out my newspaper is not.)

While in a book, tap the Aa to get to the font choice. You'll see the style options and two 'sliders', one for bold and one for size.

You can also go to 'page' and set how you want spacing and margins. You can set the orientation to landscape vs portrait as well. And if you prefer ragged right edges, you can switch that. Again, these all 'stick' for any book you open that supports the settings.

You can change what shows as reading progress as well. You can also toggle among the options by tapping the lower left corner where it says it.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• I build websites, and blog about ebooks
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Reader
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 05:28:16 AM »
I just received my new Kinfle Oasis 2017 (the bigger one) and the firmware version is 5.9.2 (3250690044).  I've been reading other forums re this reader and it seems to have shipped with several firmware versions. Does anyone know what the most current is?
5.9.2 is the latest firmware
- Nate, publisher of The Digital Reader blog - www.the-digital-reader.com

Ask me how to speed up your site, the best bookshelf plugins, how to get your site ranked in Google, and why your site keeps crashing. If I don't know I will find out.

I offer free site critiques (tech, content, and design) and I will happily tell you what your tech guy needs to do.

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
  • Member #3406
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 06:10:07 PM »
The slider is right under the font types.  Its listed  as Bold and right under bold is Size.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for answering, but I just went back into it and I only have the size slider in the Font box. Above that is the list of fonts to choose from. I have the 5.9.2 update (isn't that the latest for the new Oasis?).
New York, NY

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 07:31:33 PM »
Thanks for answering, but I just went back into it and I only have the size slider in the Font box. Above that is the list of fonts to choose from. I have the 5.9.2 update (isn't that the latest for the new Oasis?).

Maybe the book you're reading is not a format that lets it work. Some who transfer stuff through Calibre or Send to Kindle have said it doesn't always function. And my daily newspaper doesn't have it. But, otherwise, books that come direct from Amazon should have it.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline mlewis78

• New York, NY
  • Member #3406
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 08:05:17 PM »
Maybe the book you're reading is not a format that lets it work. Some who transfer stuff through Calibre or Send to Kindle have said it doesn't always function. And my daily newspaper doesn't have it. But, otherwise, books that come direct from Amazon should have it.

I will take a look at one of my books from Amazon. The one I'm reading now isn't from Amazon. Thanks, Ann.

Later:  That's it, Ann! I looked at an Amazon purchased book and the bold slider is there.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 08:07:54 PM by mlewis78 »
New York, NY

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac