Shop Foodie Calendars Now! Shop Dog Calendars Now!
KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2017  (Read 2442 times)  

Online Craig Andrews

• Portland, OR
    • View Profile
    • Craig Andrews Website
NaNoWriMo 2017
« on: November 01, 2017, 09:03:29 AM »
NaNoWriMo 2017 has officially begun. I know a lot of you already crank out 50k words or more in a month, but for some of us this is still a stretch, and a worthwhile competition. I just finished my first writing block (it's only 9:00 AM on the west coast), and have hit my 1,667 words for the day, but since I took today off solely to write and get this thing started the right way, I'm aiming for 5,000 words before the kids get home from school.

Is anyone else participating this year?

Online RRodriguez

• View Profile
    • The Pixie Chronicles
Re: NaNoWriMo 2017
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 09:06:07 AM »
I am! It's been years since I've won, but I still enjoy participating. I'm honestly surprised it's not more popular around here, but I don't seem to see much discussion on it. Oh well, maybe it's because 50k in a month is child's play for some folks around these parts :) I've got about a page written so far, but since I have to write during my breaks at work I'll probably get most of my words in this evening. I'm on the west coast too!
thepixiechronicles.com

Offline A. S. Warwick

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • Mist and Shadows
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 09:51:33 AM »
Yup, I am.  After a number of attempts, last year was the first time I'd actually succeeded.  Hoping to make it two years in a row this time.
Dead Man's Drop (Noir Dark Fantasy) Rewrite: 100%

Echo of the Ages Book 1 Rewrite: 7%

Unnamed Echo of the Ages Standalone First Draft: 50%
Mist and Shadows | Tales From a Thousand Worlds

Offline Douglas Milewski

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 10:32:55 AM »
I've got multiple books sitting with my editor, one ready to go out, and another halfway done. I'm too busy with writing to do NaNo.

Disclaimer: I sell horribly. Set your filters accordingly.

Offline dgcasey

• Las Vegas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 10:44:26 AM »
I did 100K last year and I'm looking to do 150K this year. I will be using Dragon NS to do my "writing." I find I can do 3000+ words per hour using it, more if I have a very clear idea of where the story is going while dictating. That's why a good outline is necessary.
In The Mist - The Chronicles of Wyndweir Book #2: 11%

City of Time: 29%

In The Beginning - Pale Riders, Inc. Book #1: 77%
War is coming. They think he can be their leader. He's not so sure.
D Glenn Casey | My author\\\'s blog | My artist\\\'s blog

Offline LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 10:47:50 AM »
Already started. I'm a pantster and as usual, the beginning is tough. Then the characters take over and the fun begins.

Online Anna_

• The Prairies, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Anna Albo
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 10:54:26 AM »
I'm all over it this year. I'm more prepared than last year which was a total mess.  I have things mapped out and clear goals.

Good luck to everyone!

Incidentally, my 2014 NaNo book was published this year.
Beta reading and proofreading services available. Check out my website for more information.
http://www.annaalbo.com/editorial-services/

You can also visit my Yellow Pages ad.
http://www.kboards.com/yp/index.php/?p_search=albo&action=search&p_page=

Online Craig Andrews

• Portland, OR
    • View Profile
    • Craig Andrews Website
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 11:00:44 AM »
I've got about a page written so far, but since I have to write during my breaks at work I'll probably get most of my words in this evening. I'm on the west coast too!

Nice! That's what I'm going to have to do this year too. I can get 1,000 words done in the morning before work without much issue (as long as I drag myself out of bed anyway), but in order to make up the rest, I'll have to get a few writing sprints done at lunch, and before I head home for the night.

Yup, I am.  After a number of attempts, last year was the first time I'd actually succeeded.  Hoping to make it two years in a row this time.

Congrats on your success last year. Good luck!

I've got multiple books sitting with my editor, one ready to go out, and another halfway done. I'm too busy with writing to do NaNo.

I hear you. This was the first year my writing schedule permitted me to participate. I literally finished my final draft of my newest book yesterday, and was able to jump straight into its sequel today.

I did 100K last year and I'm looking to do 150K this year. I will be using Dragon NS to do my "writing." I find I can do 3000+ words per hour using it, more if I have a very clear idea of where the story is going while dictating. That's why a good outline is necessary.

I haven't tried dictating yet, but people seem to have a lot of success doing it. One of these days I'll get around to giving it a go. Right now, it's just BIC HOK for me.

Already started. I'm a pantster and as usual, the beginning is tough. Then the characters take over and the fun begins.

Good luck!

I'm all over it this year. I'm more prepared than last year which was a total mess.  I have things mapped out and clear goals.

Same here. I've got a pretty extensive outline for the first 3/4 of my book, which should be more than enough to get me to 50k (this first draft should clock in around the 75k mark).

Offline KhaosFoxe

• Co. Kerry, Ireland
  • English expat, UF author.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 11:03:24 AM »
I'm doing it this year. My schedule happened to fall that I'm writing book 4 of my Ink Born series this month so I figure I'll make the most of the community spirit. I'm editing book 2 in a different series this week too, so I've only gotten 600 words written so far today.

Urban Fantasy author.

Offline corrieg

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
    • Corrie Garrett
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 11:12:42 AM »
Hurray for Nano! I ve won a couple times, lost more often, but always get a ton of writing done.Im a VERY part time  writer so 50k is definitely a stretch for me. This year I have so many incomplete projects, I think Im going to try and hit 50k but spread across several projects. I am horrendous at finishing books. I get to 30 or 40k and get completely mired down. Hopefully if I get a running start I can crank out several endings. Fingers crossed. ;D

Corrie Garrett

Offline Jerry S.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 11:28:30 AM »
I just decided this will be my first year doing it. I don't have an outline yet, but am going to do that tonight. so I'll be a day or two behind. So I might not make the 50k, but if I can do 30-40k this month it will be worth it.

But I'm still gonna shoot for 50k

Online Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 11:35:36 AM »
This is my first year, but I already have two books out and am currently working on two more, so I am using the newest one for NaNo starting in with the 7,879 I wrote in the past two days. (Covenant is at 25k) No way I could have juggled a third! But I did finally get a title and a blurb worked out because of NaNo!
Fate's Fallen: 100%

Legends of Elera - Covenant: 45%

Evolution's Child: 100%
Dean Rencraft | Website

Online Azalea Ellis

• View Profile
    • Azalea Ellis-Science Fiction and Fantasy
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2017, 11:46:43 AM »
I'm doing it this year, working on the 3rd book in my series. It's great motivation to know that people all around the world are in the same boat as you, writing away. Though I hope to hit 75K, not 50K, and keep the pace up all the way through the end of December.

Online cecilia_writer

• Edinburgh
    • View Profile
    • Cecilia Peartree - woman of mystery (blog)
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 12:07:13 PM »
I love taking part in NaNoWriMo - have done it every year since 2006 and some of the summer camps too. This year I'm using it to write the 15th in my mystery series, having published the 14th just over a week ago. I wouldn't normally write two in the series so close together but while I was writing no. 14 I worked out how I could use an idea that's been around in my mind for a while, so I thought I might as well go for it.

Offline Mercia McMahon

• London
  • living in the Shadow of pulp speed
    • View Profile
    • Mercia McMahon
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 12:18:48 PM »
I've signed up. I think I joined kboards while living in Seattle in 2013 and winning NaNo for my one and lonely time. Although I did win Camp in 2015 back in London Town.

Mercia McMahon | Author Site | Publishing Site | Pinterest

Offline Ashly Kim

• Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
  • overcaffeinated mama bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2017, 12:43:58 PM »
I am!  I've attempted it a few times but haven't succeeded so far.  Hopefully this will be the year!  I started before my two kids got up this morning but didn't get very far yet.  I'm pantsing it, so we'll see....
Places Where Volcanoes Sleep: 40%
Ashly Kim | Twittter | Goodreads | Instagram

Online AmesburyArcher

• U.K.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2017, 12:58:47 PM »
I'm giving it a shot. I don't expect to  make the target but will be very happy if I can  do enough to ensure I can get another short book out this year. I'm trying to discipline myself. I am getting faster and faster producing books, but still not where I'd like to be.
Author of books both historical and fantastical-Stonehenge, Arthurian, Richard III, English queens & mistresses, Robin Hood, dystopian Canada (!) and more...
Author of historical fiction & historical fantasy
J.P. Reedman | fb | fb | fb | fb

Offline Quinning

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2017, 01:14:48 PM »
I'm doing it!

Last year was a bust for me (got dragged down by politics and the dumpster fire that was my Facebook feed), but I'm off to a great start this year!

Offline KMel

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 01:38:56 PM »
I didnt sign up, but Im giving myself this month to write the sequel to my first novella. My goal is 25k, so quite a bit less than you all. Still quite a feat for me, though! Good luck to everyone!
A Tale of Christmas Past: 100%

A Tale of Christmas Present: 30%

Online antcurious

• View Profile
    • JK NEVE.COM
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 01:40:47 PM »
NaNoWriMo 2017 has officially begun. I know a lot of you already crank out 50k words or more in a month, but for some of us this is still a stretch, and a worthwhile competition. I just finished my first writing block (it's only 9:00 AM on the west coast), and have hit my 1,667 words for the day, but since I took today off solely to write and get this thing started the right way, I'm aiming for 5,000 words before the kids get home from school.

Is anyone else participating this year?
[/quote

Yup jumping in for my 1st time! Are you writing in your superhero series Craig? If so, I'll be exercising great responsibility with my great powers along with you!
The Oscillator: 30%

Run: 90%
JK Neve

Online VirginiaMcClain

• View Profile
    • Rain on a Summer's Afternoon
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2017, 01:45:03 PM »
I'm signed up and already started last night (after midnight). This will be my tenth year participating since 2007 (I missed last year due to having a two-month-old baby). Out of the nine years I participated previously I've won all but twice. This year I'm hoping to make a large chunk of progress on a trilogy that I plan to release all at once in the spring/summer. If anyone is looking for a writing buddy, you can find me there as Guenhwyvar.
Warning: Stories may contain bad*ss women, possibly wielding katana
Virginia McClain | Blog | Website

Offline Edward M. Grant

• Canada (moved from UK)
    • View Profile
    • Edward M. Grant
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2017, 01:53:22 PM »
I'm going to rewrite Space Nazis as a novel.

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2017, 01:56:28 PM »
I'm signed up and already started last night (after midnight). This will be my tenth year participating since 2007 (I missed last year due to having a two-month-old baby). Out of the nine years I participated previously I've won all but twice. This year I'm hoping to make a large chunk of progress on a trilogy that I plan to release all at once in the spring/summer. If anyone is looking for a writing buddy, you can find me there as Guenhwyvar.
Ooo hello Drizzt's feline! I can never remember the proper spelling. :P

I am unofficially participating since I know my word count stinks. But it will at least help me to focus on writing book 2 of my series.

Offline TiffanyTurner

• Silicon Valley, CA
    • View Profile
    • Tiffany Turner's Crystal Keeper Chronicles
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2017, 02:02:03 PM »
Just set up my writing project today. I finished my fourth children's novel over the weekend, and I'm open wide for this month to do a novel. Excited to see where the month will take the project. I've actually only won once, in 2015, but always get tons of writing done.

I have to note, love the way this year you can set goals for writing like an hour a day or other goals like in Camp NaNo. They seem to have the novel progress set up for word count, but you can set the other goals that help you make that 50K. I've got a one hour a day writing goal for the month. Love this new feature.  ;)
The Lost Secret of Fairies
The Lost Secret of the Green Man
$0.99-$2.99 on Kindle
New Kindle Release:
The Lost Secret of Dragonfire
$3.99
Children's Adventure/Fantasy series
www.tiffany-turner.com
Blog: http://crystalkeeper.wordpress.com

Offline RickLRMS

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2017, 02:19:55 PM »
I'm participating this year. But I cheated, I retired mid-October. Gives me 13+ hours each weekday I didn't used to have.  :)

Online VirginiaMcClain

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2017, 02:26:05 PM »
Ooo hello Drizzt's feline! I can never remember the proper spelling. :P

I am unofficially participating since I know my word count stinks. But it will at least help me to focus on writing book 2 of my series.

Haha! Yep. I even have a panther as my avatar over there. :-)

Offline BGArcher

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2017, 02:30:50 PM »
This is year 6 for me. I've won every year but one (year three, and only because I had life drama and forgot to post my final manuscript. Still annoyed that I didn't get the badge for that.) Since this is my full time gig anyway, and I average around 75k a month, I'm pushing myself this month. I'm aiming to do 150,000 words this month, on top of editing three books and publishing a few more.

Bring it on  8)

Offline Piano Jenny

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2017, 04:10:23 PM »
I am, but I'm approaching it differently this year. I'm still soul-searching about whether I should continue to pursue this author thing, so I am trying something new for me -- a cozy mystery -- and am doing it just as a lark, not expecting anything publishable -- or even finished -- to come out of it.

Of course, if it does ever turn out to be something publishable, that would be great.

Professional Pianist and Author
Jennifer McCoy Blaske | Website

Online Wisescarab

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2017, 04:11:42 PM »
I'm lucky to crank out 50k in a year. But then I have an editing/rewrite process that's rather inane.

Writer of fiction, teller of fantasy, and lover of nonsense. Because that's life!
S.D.Reeves | Website

Online kenbritz

• New York
    • View Profile
    • Ken Britz
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2017, 04:16:27 PM »
Haha! Yep. I even have a panther as my avatar over there. :-)

Are you panthing or plothing? (puns galore)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ken Britz | Facebook | Website

Online kenbritz

• New York
    • View Profile
    • Ken Britz
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2017, 04:22:12 PM »
This will be my 9th NaNoWriMo. It works out well with me and the time of year, though I don't spend too much time on the forums - I focus on the task and the goal too much to obsess about plot bunnies and such. Good luck!

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2017, 06:12:45 PM »
This is my first official year. I've tried a couple of times before, just as a challenge, but life always interfered so I didn't get very far. I'm hoping to get the majority of my asteroid apocalypse book done (no zombies!).

I didn't get any words today, because this is shopping day and I am always too worn out to do any writing. I have a plan, though. If I can do my usual schedule, 2.5K a day, five days a week, I can get a bit more than 50K this month. That gives me shopping days (every Wednesday), and another day off. Maybe the accountability will make that schedule stick.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline N. Gemini Sasson

• Springfield, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • N. Gemini Sasson
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2017, 07:50:29 PM »
I'm in and at 2569 so far. Last year I bailed after two years of making it. I realized some of my best works were NaNo products, so life can wait for now. The goal is to get done before Turkey Day, when I get to see my son in NM - I'm stoked! Besides that, I set smaller goals along the way when I meet a certain word count - lunch with the spouse, a shopping binge, a run with the dog. This is the time of year for no more excuses.  :D

Good luck, everyone! May your children be quiet, your pets content, and your spouses willing to cook and clean so you can do your thing.

N. Gemini Sasson | Website | Blog | Facebook

Online VirginiaMcClain

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2017, 08:13:07 PM »

*Snickers* Definitely panthing. ;-)

Online VirginiaMcClain

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2017, 08:17:01 PM »
I'm in and at 2569 so far. Last year I bailed after two years of making it. I realized some of my best works were NaNo products, so life can wait for now. The goal is to get done before Turkey Day, when I get to see my son in NM - I'm stoked! Besides that, I set smaller goals along the way when I meet a certain word count - lunch with the spouse, a shopping binge, a run with the dog. This is the time of year for no more excuses.  :D

Good luck, everyone! May your children be quiet, your pets content, and your spouses willing to cook and clean so you can do your thing.

Oooh! I like the idea of rewarding myself with a run with the dog. I don't reward myself with that often enough these days, but that's largely because running with the dog and the jogging stroller (my daughter is 1) is enough of a hassle to lower my motivation. I need to do it anyway though, and if I make it a reward for hitting my word count I am more likely to actually go through with it! Thanks for the idea. :-)

Offline N. Gemini Sasson

• Springfield, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • N. Gemini Sasson
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2017, 10:14:49 AM »
Oooh! I like the idea of rewarding myself with a run with the dog. I don't reward myself with that often enough these days, but that's largely because running with the dog and the jogging stroller (my daughter is 1) is enough of a hassle to lower my motivation. I need to do it anyway though, and if I make it a reward for hitting my word count I am more likely to actually go through with it! Thanks for the idea. :-)

I wish I'd known about jogging strollers when my kids were little, but I'm not even sure they existed back then. But if you can manage even a couple of miles, the kid will be happy, the dog will be a little more worn out ... and you can write some more after the little one goes to sleep for the night. (I admire you're even attempting NaNo with a toddler around!)

Offline Jessie G. Talbot

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2017, 10:40:50 AM »
I'm participating this year. But I cheated, I retired mid-October. Gives me 13+ hours each weekday I didn't used to have.  :)

Oh, you lucky ducky!

I signed up but only because I enjoy the pep talks. I've never won and I never will, I'm a slow bunny, but I do want to finish a 17k word novella before Christmas. Good luck to me and everyone!
Jessie G. Talbot | Website | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline K.Purcell

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2017, 12:07:22 PM »
I signed up on a total lark and my current WIP is a huge departure from anything I usually write that I just thought up in the shower a few days ago - not usually a recipe for success.  But if it keeps me on track to keep writing and gives me a goal, it'll be worth it.

Online Craig Andrews

• Portland, OR
    • View Profile
    • Craig Andrews Website
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2017, 01:35:46 PM »
5,090 words yesterday and another 1,550 so far today (back to my day job, not as much time to write) for a grand total of 6,640 through two days. Not a bad start. :-)

Offline Red Riley

• New Hampshire
  • Author of the Red Riley Adventure Series
    • View Profile
    • RedRileyBooks.com
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2017, 04:59:40 PM »
Yes! I am.

This July I did Camp NaNo and banged out my second novel, which launches today, incidentally! NaNo will help me get Book Three out by my very aggressive release date of Jan 20 (what was I thinking?????)
Chicago Blue: 100%

Diamond White: 95%

Solid Gold: 10%
Red Riley | Red Riley

Offline Felisia

• Fluffy Kitties are Bestest
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2017, 06:26:14 PM »
NaNo will help me get Book Three out by my very aggressive release date of Jan 20 (what was I thinking?????)

Best of luck, you have this and can do it!

I'm participating in NaNoWriMo this year too. I like trying to meet the deadline and reading/giving support to fellow writers. For myself, it especially helps me to kick the bad habit of constantly re-editing every single line that I write. I'm talking, over, and over again. Is it perfect enough? No, never! (*furiously writes a sentence out again for the 100th time*) It pushes me to simply write and not think about how terrible my prose truly is and just get the story finished already. So far, so good. I'm on top of the writing goal for the day but I better think of an outline soon or I'll get in trouble. Good luck all!

Offline Angela Holder

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2017, 10:30:20 PM »
I'm going for my twelfth win.  Almost all my books started as Nano novels, although I've only actually gotten to the end of the story in November a few times.  Hoping to do that this year.  I'm taking a break from my new romance pen name to write another fantasy under my own name.

Offline Carleton Chinner

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Electronic Allegorist
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2017, 01:08:29 AM »
I'm in for my first time and gritting my teeth about how slow my typing is.
Day 3 and I've hit my 6000 goal. Now just got to keep up the same tempo

Carleton Chinner | Website

Offline Camille

• View Profile
    • Thigh Gap Hack
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2017, 12:29:24 PM »
I'm participating - writing my first novel "Too Old For This". I already have the outline (is that cheating?) so writing every day has turned out to be a breeze.

I also saw they have regional groups that meet up to have write in's - yet another way to hold yourself accountable, which I think is great.

We got this!!

Offline ceejay13

• Oh Canada!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2017, 01:26:23 PM »
This is my fourth time; The most I've gotten is about 30k so we'll see. I've done about 4k so far so here's hoping. It would be nice to be a winner for once :)  I'm a plotter so I have an outline; it's the stopping to do research that often undoes me. Good luck to all!

Offline ID Johnson

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2017, 02:30:06 PM »
This is my fourth year to do NaNo, too. This year is different for me since I'm staying home and making writing my full-time job (luckily my husband hasn't quit his day job or we'd be in a lot of trouble!) so I shouldn't have any trouble finishing. Good luck everyone!!

Offline Boyd

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2017, 06:43:00 PM »
32,104 words for November so far.  I just mathed my stated goals and scared the crap out of myself. Shooting for 216,000 words this month without taking a day off, or if I do, it's because I'm ahead somehow.  Shoot big, fall hard, right?

::thud

Online antcurious

• View Profile
    • JK NEVE.COM
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2017, 05:58:24 AM »
32,104 words for November so far.  I just mathed my stated goals and scared the crap out of myself. Shooting for 216,000 words this month without taking a day off, or if I do, it's because I'm ahead somehow.  Shoot big, fall hard, right?

::thud

Ok now you're just showing off  8)

Good work man!

JK Neve

Offline CASD57

• Idaho
    • View Profile
    • Live The Dream
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2017, 10:29:27 AM »
I'm doing it mainly to get rid of  Writers Block and I've been doing the 1667 words avg. since it started...I' learned something already
I need a quiet room...  I've been writing on my lunch hour at work and I've been pumping out 1500-1700 words a day on my AlphSmart....
Can't do that at home with daily life all around me... and the computer in front of me..

C.A. Dayhoff | Current Projects

Online kenbritz

• New York
    • View Profile
    • Ken Britz
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2017, 07:56:15 PM »
*Snickers* Definitely panthing. ;-)

Oddly, there are many mixed and humorous visualizations from this. :)

Online VirginiaMcClain

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2017, 09:59:44 PM »
Oddly, there are many mixed and humorous visualizations from this. :)

I should hope so! ;-)

Offline Jewel Allen

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2017, 01:31:52 AM »
Hi guys! I'm doing NaNo, too. :) I haven't done it in years, but decided I wanted to jumpstart my next romantic suspense novel this way.

So far so good...20k words in 4 days! I have never been this productive. Sprinting with others has helped so much, and has really kept me writing efficiently. I like writing intensely for two hours so I can get on with the rest of my day. It also helps to have a list of possible scenes for when I write myself into a corner, or run out of steam.

The thing I love about NaNo is that I am forced to write fast without editing which means I can keep the style consistent, and get the story down before I get bored/confused/discouraged. Plus, hopefully by the end of it all, I have a new manuscript to work with.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 01:35:58 AM by Jewel Allen »

Jewel Allen | Website | Facebook

Offline Marjorie Florestal

• California
    • View Profile
    • Thrillers With A Past
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2017, 03:36:57 AM »
Nanowrimo helped me write my first novel, but in the last few years Ive either been researching or editing when it came around. Im participating again this year and very excited. Glad to have discovered this thread.

Marjorie Florestal | Blog

Offline A. S. Warwick

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • Mist and Shadows
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2017, 09:02:10 AM »
10k after the first 5 days, so ahead of schedule.  The weekend was a bit busy so didn't get anywhere as much done on it as I would have liked but hope I can pick up the pace again.

Online cecilia_writer

• Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2017, 09:12:10 AM »
I reached 12k today but I was trying hard to be that much ahead as next week will be difficult - I have to go away overnight for work and that will wreck my schedule.

Offline CASD57

• Idaho
    • View Profile
    • Live The Dream
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2017, 01:18:25 PM »
Got a question..

How much editing before turning in my 50,000 words on the 30th  do you do or do you just turn in a rough 1st draft ?

Online kenbritz

• New York
    • View Profile
    • Ken Britz
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2017, 01:47:48 PM »
Got a question..

How much editing before turning in my 50,000 words on the 30th  do you do or do you just turn in a rough 1st draft ?

No editing. You just hit the finish line and validate. Then the editing begins (or continue on if your novel is incomplete).

Online VirginiaMcClain

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2017, 07:23:43 PM »
Got a question..

How much editing before turning in my 50,000 words on the 30th  do you do or do you just turn in a rough 1st draft?

Indeed, as Ken said, just hit validate! No one sees it at all, it's just a question of verifying your word count. Not even the bots read it. :-)

Offline Tshinanu

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2017, 08:03:55 PM »
Tried NaNo in 2015 and did about 30K that year. Still, ended up finishing that novel in the summer of 2016 so it was worth it. Never published it and ended up putting aside after realizing how drastically I needed to rewrite it. Now I'm rewriting it from scratch a year and a couple months later without referencing the past work aside from memory. Aiming for it to be 100K and to publish it and it synced in perfect with NaNo. This year I'm 100% determined to 'win' NaNo and have hit 23K for the month so far. A 10K day definitely helped and made me confident that with 5hrs of dedication, I can easily hit that in a day. I don't often have 5hrs straight to work on it but I do get it from time to time.

Anyways, 23K so far. Hit 2K today. Hoping for a big count tmr!

Offline CASD57

• Idaho
    • View Profile
    • Live The Dream
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2017, 08:31:26 PM »
I'm using Dabble for NaNoWriMo  it auto- load word count on NaNoWriMo... It's free for the month

Offline Ryn Shell

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2017, 11:54:06 PM »
I've completed my NaNoWriMo novel last night. I began with the research complete, and a plot plan in place, on November 1.  Today I'm doing the self-edit, prior to getting the professional edit done. All is good.  :)
This is my seventh NaNoWriMo Year, for my seventh indie author novel. I am Gray Nomad in there.
Best wishes to everyone.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 11:59:38 PM by Ryn Shell »

Offline Mara B.

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2017, 06:56:38 PM »
It also helps to have a list of possible scenes for when I write myself into a corner, or run out of steam.
Thanks for the reminder that it can be out of order!

I've written about 9,200, which is actually good for me. Having a looming deadline and word count quotas really helps. So does the "stats" page. My main goal in this is overcoming my overanalyzing and my tendency to edit as I write, slowing down the whole process. Regardless of whether or not that makes the quality better, it isn't good for my life, my health, and my emotional state to write so slowly, with so much perfectionism and doubt. It's not good physically either, because it involves so much more time sitting in front of a computer and rereading/rewriting what I already wrote instead of writing new copy.

Anyway, the 9k is in addition to about 25k I had already written. (I don't count those words in my NaNo words, obviously.) So when I am done, I'll have about 75k.

Good luck to everyone! I'm trying to focus on the process plus the goal of improving productivity.

Christian romantic comedy
Mara Faro

Offline TiffanyTurner

• Silicon Valley, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2017, 08:47:18 PM »

Pantsing with the occasional look at a basic romance novel outline, so I make sure I hit all the areas. Sometimes I like a loose road map when I pants.
$0.99-$2.99 on Kindle
New Kindle Release:
$3.99
www.tiffany-turner.com

Offline TiffanyTurner

• Silicon Valley, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2017, 08:47:59 PM »
Good timing on your retirement! Couldn't ask for a better way to celebrate.
$0.99-$2.99 on Kindle
New Kindle Release:
$3.99
www.tiffany-turner.com

Offline A. S. Warwick

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • Mist and Shadows
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2017, 08:47:31 AM »
1 week down, 15,234 words done.

Happy with the progress so far.  The trick is to keep it up over the rest of the month.

Online RRodriguez

• View Profile
    • The Pixie Chronicles
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2017, 08:54:03 AM »
I'm realizing how much it stinks being on the west coast. I constantly feel like I'm behind everyone else on the NaNo forums! I've been squeaking by day by day, so I don't need to do a bunch of catch up or anything, but when my day is just beginning when everyone else has already had time to get in a word sprint or two I start to panic! I'm a little over 10k right now, planning to add 2k by this evening.
thepixiechronicles.com

Online Craig Andrews

• Portland, OR
    • View Profile
    • Craig Andrews Website
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2017, 01:01:51 PM »
Yup jumping in for my 1st time! Are you writing in your superhero series Craig? If so, I'll be exercising great responsibility with my great powers along with you!

It's actually supposed to be an UF series, but you're not the first person to think my books are superhero. ;D I've started looking into how much it would cost to move to a more genre appropriate cover, but I'm not ready to take the dive yet. In any case, I'm working on a military science fiction trilogy. Book #1 is done, so I'm leveraging NaNo to focus on Book #2.

13k words and climbing. Tomorrow is another dedicated writing day for me, so here's to pushing for 20,000 words by the day's end.  :)

Online antcurious

• View Profile
    • JK NEVE.COM
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2017, 02:11:52 PM »
It's actually supposed to be an UF series, but you're not the first person to think my books are superhero. ;D I've started looking into how much it would cost to move to a more genre appropriate cover, but I'm not ready to take the dive yet. In any case, I'm working on a military science fiction trilogy. Book #1 is done, so I'm leveraging NaNo to focus on Book #2.

13k words and climbing. Tomorrow is another dedicated writing day for me, so here's to pushing for 20,000 words by the day's end.  :)

Sounds good! Yeah dunno why I thought superhero...I mean there's always a bit of crossover, but yours is obviously UF.  I'm antcurious on Nano if you want to be buddies.

JK Neve

Offline Vale

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2017, 09:41:35 AM »
I'm NaNo-ing, too. Travel plus being sick wiped out most of the first week, but I'm not out for the count yet. My username is 'kvn' if anyone needs to feel better about their own wordcount =]

In the past, one odd strategy that helped me was Cheerwine. It's a sort of cherry-cola soft drink from the Carolinas, but they carry it across the US in places like WorldMarket. I normally drink water or tea, but when I'd hit my word count goal for the day I'd open a bottle of Cheerwine and keep writing until I finished drinking it. One bottle is worth about 1,000 words.

Offline Keith Ward

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2017, 06:03:35 PM »
I'm in for the second time. I won last year, but I'm way behind this year. In fact, I should be writing . . .

Offline Edward M. Grant

• Canada (moved from UK)
    • View Profile
    • Edward M. Grant
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2017, 06:14:25 PM »
Another 200 words, and I'll have caught up with where I'm supposed to be today :).

Offline Mark August

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2017, 06:26:08 PM »
Im in for my second NaNo, and shooting for my second win. Ive also done 3 camps. NaNo is becoming my production schedule as this will be my third book.

25k words as of this morning

Mark

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
  • Storyteller and Cat Minion
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2017, 06:28:08 PM »
I'm not nanoing this year, but wanted to wish the best to everyone who is. Go forth and kill that 1667 words a day goal. Write fearlessly.

Online antcurious

• View Profile
    • JK NEVE.COM
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2017, 08:35:48 AM »
I'm NaNo-ing, too. Travel plus being sick wiped out most of the first week, but I'm not out for the count yet. My username is 'kvn' if anyone needs to feel better about their own wordcount =]

In the past, one odd strategy that helped me was Cheerwine. It's a sort of cherry-cola soft drink from the Carolinas, but they carry it across the US in places like WorldMarket. I normally drink water or tea, but when I'd hit my word count goal for the day I'd open a bottle of Cheerwine and keep writing until I finished drinking it. One bottle is worth about 1,000 words.

There are a few kvn's on there..which one are you? I'm antcurious if you want to add me!

JK Neve

Offline Tommy Muncie

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2017, 12:22:22 PM »
I'm in this year, just crossed the 20,000 word barrier this evening. This is my third time; I won in 14 and 15, the 14 project's down there in my signature and the 15 one I've just done yet another draft of and it's soon to join the other four. NaNo is good...always makes me do something extra just when I'm wrestling with burnout. This year's project is proving to be just what I needed: something completely different.

I'm 'Chacron' on the NaNoWriMo site if anyone wants to add me. If there's more than one clone of that username, I'm the one wearing the black and white jumper.

Offline A. S. Warwick

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • Mist and Shadows
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2017, 09:36:57 AM »
And just hit 25k.  Half way there.  Running a little ahead of schedule, which is good, as the last two days have been a bit of a struggle.  My little girl has been sick and now my wife has picked p the same bug.  End result, very little time to write in and lots of broken sleep meaning I've been a bit exhausted during the day.

But the story is coming along well, even if I have no idea where it is going yet - but that is the joy of pantsing.  I've had characters turn up who I had not expected, and events turn out completely different form how I though they would when I started writing.  I had one event where a band of raiders were meant to fight one of the main characters, as a short of introductory scene, but instead they got talking and now the leader of the raiders has introduces himself into the story as a fairly important character.

Online Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2017, 10:21:23 AM »
Hit my 40k last night!

Dean Rencraft | Website

Offline CASD57

• Idaho
    • View Profile
    • Live The Dream
« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2017, 10:47:22 AM »
20745, took the weekend mostly off...I am planning/plotting..
avg. as of Friday over 2000 words a day 

Mainly doing it to kick writer's block...

Offline Vale

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2017, 10:52:36 AM »
There are a few kvn's on there..which one are you? I'm antcurious if you want to add me!

Oops, this one is me: https://nanowrimo.org/participants/kvn

Added you, though =] Ditto to Chacron!

Offline Tommy Muncie

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2017, 11:07:31 AM »
Hit my 40k last night!

Eeep! I'm at 28,847 and thought I was doing well!

Offline CASD57

• Idaho
    • View Profile
    • Live The Dream
« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2017, 11:29:42 AM »

Online antcurious

• View Profile
    • JK NEVE.COM
« Reply #81 on: November 13, 2017, 01:17:52 AM »
Oops, this one is me: https://nanowrimo.org/participants/kvn

Added you, though =] Ditto to Chacron!

Nice!

JK Neve

Offline Vale

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 13, 2017, 05:56:11 PM »
Playing catch up is no fun, but seeing everyone else's word count helps encourage me to try to catch up. My spouse is already over that 40k mark writing by hand, just to show off. Hopefully by next week I'll be up close to that 40k mark. For now, way way below. Somehow, I can't resist the urge to edit the previous day's scenes before I do today's scenes. 50k written and 50k edited, here I come!

Online Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2017, 07:59:34 PM »

Your Average Per Day

Words Written Today

Target Word Count

Target Average Words Per Day

Total Words Written

Words Remaining

Current Day

Days Remaining

At This Rate You Will Finish On
November 14, 2017

Words Per Day To Finish On Time

Dean Rencraft | Website

Offline Marina Finlayson

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Marina Finlayson
« Reply #84 on: November 13, 2017, 08:17:58 PM »

Words Remaining

Don't stop there! So close!!

Marina Finlayson | Website | Twitter | Goodreads | Facebook | Instagram

Online Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #85 on: November 13, 2017, 08:23:32 PM »
Don't stop there! So close!!

Here we go:NaNoWriMo!!!!!

Your Average Per Day
Words Written Today
Target Word Count
Total Words Written
Words Remaining
Current Day

Days Remaining
Goal Achieved On
November 13, 2017
Lifetime Achievement: Total NaNo Word Count
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 12:57:05 AM by Pandorra »

Dean Rencraft | Website

Online VirginiaMcClain

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 14, 2017, 11:36:47 AM »

Your Average Per Day
Words Written Today
Target Word Count
Total Words Written
Words Remaining
Current Day

Days Remaining
Goal Achieved On
November 13, 2017

Congrats, Pandorra! Well done! Is that also the end of the book, or just the 50k word mark?

Online Craig Andrews

• Portland, OR
    • View Profile
    • Craig Andrews Website
« Reply #87 on: November 14, 2017, 12:55:13 PM »

Your Average Per Day
Words Written Today
Target Word Count
Total Words Written
Words Remaining
Current Day

Days Remaining
Goal Achieved On
November 13, 2017

Boom! There you go! Congrats!

I'm closing in on the 50% mark with about 50% of the month left to go. My biggest challenge has been the thing NaNo is supposed to help the most - writing consistently. If I can do that during the second half of the month, I'll finish with ease... But that's a big "if."

Online Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #88 on: November 14, 2017, 03:22:15 PM »
Congrats, Pandorra! Well done! Is that also the end of the book, or just the 50k word mark?

I'm taking it to 65-70 but I am almost there now so it should be done tonight and it's already mostly edited soo not a bad few weeks!

Craig, awesome at 50%.. keeping a word count has helped me a lot, though I know it won't be the same for everyone, it does seem to keep me on track both with forcing me to sit and write and if I keep a smaller number in my head than the ultimate goal... so good luck with that and the last 50, you're in good company here!!

Dean Rencraft | Website

Offline N. Gemini Sasson

• Springfield, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • N. Gemini Sasson
« Reply #89 on: November 14, 2017, 07:18:22 PM »
My spouse is already over that 40k mark writing by hand, just to show off.

I'm in awe. My hand would be so cramped. Never mind the fact that it would probably be illegible if I wrote that much by hand (not that I could).

I'm here https://nanowrimo.org/participants/pearl-gourami if anyone wants to buddy up. I think I already have some of you from past years.

Online kenbritz

• New York
    • View Profile
    • Ken Britz
« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2017, 09:19:23 PM »
Clocking in close to 40k here (should hit that on the 15th). Great job to Pandorra on hitting 50k early. No editing and numerous changes needed for the plot thread specifics, but it's coming along nicely for me. Good luck!

Online kenbritz

• New York
    • View Profile
    • Ken Britz
« Reply #91 on: Yesterday at 03:32:00 AM »
Just ticked past 51k yesterday and thought I'd check in with other nano-ers (nanites? wrimos?) to see how things are going. I have another 24k, give or take what the story will dictate on first pass.

Online cecilia_writer

• Edinburgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Yesterday at 04:47:28 AM »
Well done to anyone who has got past 50,000.
I took last week off from my day job to give my writing a boost and got 27,000 words written, which is a lot for me. Fortunately it's one of these stories that seems to write itself. I'm now sitting at just over 48,000 altogether so the end is in sight! I usually write to a finished length of about 60,000 for my mysteries, and I think it will be about there by the time I run out of plot.

Offline blerg et al.

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Yesterday at 05:10:59 AM »
Hey, I'm doing it too!

Trying a lot of things outside my comfort zone too.
Instead of my normal scifi, I'm writing a nautical fantasy novel. I'm keeping the content pretty light. No drugs or murder or cannibals in these books, just light hearted fun stuff.
I plotted the whole thing ahead of time, which is strange for me.
I cheated a little by using a beginning chapter I had written six months ago.

First week I averaged 1500 a day. Second week I averaged 1000. This week I'm averaging 300 a day. It's more a function of the things I was putting off last three weeks starting to catch up with me. We're still cleaning up from the hurricane, so that's a lot of things. But I'm pushing through it. I've got 23k and according to my outline, the book should be done around 40k.

Offline CASD57

• Idaho
    • View Profile
    • Live The Dream
« Reply #94 on: Yesterday at 05:22:35 AM »
43904 for me.....

Online Craig Andrews

• Portland, OR
    • View Profile
    • Craig Andrews Website
« Reply #95 on: Yesterday at 09:25:46 AM »
Time to play some catch up. Between getting sick and then planning an unexpected, but super awesome, Disneyland trip for the family, I've fallen off pace (again). Currently at 34,155 words, but with the extended weekend coming up, I hope to make that up and then some.