KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2017  (Read 2313 times)  

Offline VirginiaMcClain

• View Profile
    • Rain on a Summer's Afternoon
Re: NaNoWriMo 2017
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2017, 02:26:05 PM »
Ooo hello Drizzt's feline! I can never remember the proper spelling. :P

I am unofficially participating since I know my word count stinks. But it will at least help me to focus on writing book 2 of my series.

Haha! Yep. I even have a panther as my avatar over there. :-)
Warning: Stories may contain bad*ss women, possibly wielding katana
Virginia McClain | Blog | Website

Offline BGArcher

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2017, 02:30:50 PM »
This is year 6 for me. I've won every year but one (year three, and only because I had life drama and forgot to post my final manuscript. Still annoyed that I didn't get the badge for that.) Since this is my full time gig anyway, and I average around 75k a month, I'm pushing myself this month. I'm aiming to do 150,000 words this month, on top of editing three books and publishing a few more.

Bring it on  8)

Online Piano Jenny

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2017, 04:10:23 PM »
I am, but I'm approaching it differently this year. I'm still soul-searching about whether I should continue to pursue this author thing, so I am trying something new for me -- a cozy mystery -- and am doing it just as a lark, not expecting anything publishable -- or even finished -- to come out of it.

Of course, if it does ever turn out to be something publishable, that would be great.

Professional Pianist and Author
Jennifer McCoy Blaske | Website

Offline Wisescarab

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2017, 04:11:42 PM »
I'm lucky to crank out 50k in a year. But then I have an editing/rewrite process that's rather inane.

Writer of fiction, teller of fantasy, and lover of nonsense. Because that's life!
S.D.Reeves | Website

Online kenbritz

• New York
    • View Profile
    • Ken Britz
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2017, 04:16:27 PM »
Haha! Yep. I even have a panther as my avatar over there. :-)

Are you panthing or plothing? (puns galore)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ken Britz | Facebook | Website

Online kenbritz

• New York
    • View Profile
    • Ken Britz
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2017, 04:22:12 PM »
This will be my 9th NaNoWriMo. It works out well with me and the time of year, though I don't spend too much time on the forums - I focus on the task and the goal too much to obsess about plot bunnies and such. Good luck!

Online she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2017, 06:12:45 PM »
This is my first official year. I've tried a couple of times before, just as a challenge, but life always interfered so I didn't get very far. I'm hoping to get the majority of my asteroid apocalypse book done (no zombies!).

I didn't get any words today, because this is shopping day and I am always too worn out to do any writing. I have a plan, though. If I can do my usual schedule, 2.5K a day, five days a week, I can get a bit more than 50K this month. That gives me shopping days (every Wednesday), and another day off. Maybe the accountability will make that schedule stick.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline N. Gemini Sasson

• Springfield, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • N. Gemini Sasson
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2017, 07:50:29 PM »
I'm in and at 2569 so far. Last year I bailed after two years of making it. I realized some of my best works were NaNo products, so life can wait for now. The goal is to get done before Turkey Day, when I get to see my son in NM - I'm stoked! Besides that, I set smaller goals along the way when I meet a certain word count - lunch with the spouse, a shopping binge, a run with the dog. This is the time of year for no more excuses.  :D

Good luck, everyone! May your children be quiet, your pets content, and your spouses willing to cook and clean so you can do your thing.

N. Gemini Sasson | Website | Blog | Facebook

Offline VirginiaMcClain

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2017, 08:13:07 PM »
Are you panthing or plothing? (puns galore)

*Snickers* Definitely panthing. ;-)

Offline VirginiaMcClain

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2017, 08:17:01 PM »
I'm in and at 2569 so far. Last year I bailed after two years of making it. I realized some of my best works were NaNo products, so life can wait for now. The goal is to get done before Turkey Day, when I get to see my son in NM - I'm stoked! Besides that, I set smaller goals along the way when I meet a certain word count - lunch with the spouse, a shopping binge, a run with the dog. This is the time of year for no more excuses.  :D

Good luck, everyone! May your children be quiet, your pets content, and your spouses willing to cook and clean so you can do your thing.

Oooh! I like the idea of rewarding myself with a run with the dog. I don't reward myself with that often enough these days, but that's largely because running with the dog and the jogging stroller (my daughter is 1) is enough of a hassle to lower my motivation. I need to do it anyway though, and if I make it a reward for hitting my word count I am more likely to actually go through with it! Thanks for the idea. :-)

Offline N. Gemini Sasson

• Springfield, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • N. Gemini Sasson
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2017, 10:14:49 AM »
Oooh! I like the idea of rewarding myself with a run with the dog. I don't reward myself with that often enough these days, but that's largely because running with the dog and the jogging stroller (my daughter is 1) is enough of a hassle to lower my motivation. I need to do it anyway though, and if I make it a reward for hitting my word count I am more likely to actually go through with it! Thanks for the idea. :-)

I wish I'd known about jogging strollers when my kids were little, but I'm not even sure they existed back then. But if you can manage even a couple of miles, the kid will be happy, the dog will be a little more worn out ... and you can write some more after the little one goes to sleep for the night. (I admire you're even attempting NaNo with a toddler around!)

N. Gemini Sasson | Website | Blog | Facebook

Offline Jessie G. Talbot

• Raleigh, NC
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2017, 10:40:50 AM »
I'm participating this year. But I cheated, I retired mid-October. Gives me 13+ hours each weekday I didn't used to have.  :)

Oh, you lucky ducky!

I signed up but only because I enjoy the pep talks. I've never won and I never will, I'm a slow bunny, but I do want to finish a 17k word novella before Christmas. Good luck to me and everyone!
Jessie G. Talbot | Website | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline K.Purcell

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2017, 12:07:22 PM »
I signed up on a total lark and my current WIP is a huge departure from anything I usually write that I just thought up in the shower a few days ago - not usually a recipe for success.  But if it keeps me on track to keep writing and gives me a goal, it'll be worth it.

Offline Craig Andrews

• Portland, OR
    • View Profile
    • Craig Andrews Website
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2017, 01:35:46 PM »
5,090 words yesterday and another 1,550 so far today (back to my day job, not as much time to write) for a grand total of 6,640 through two days. Not a bad start. :-)

Offline Red Riley

• New Hampshire
  • Author of the Red Riley Adventure Series
    • View Profile
    • RedRileyBooks.com
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2017, 04:59:40 PM »
Yes! I am.

This July I did Camp NaNo and banged out my second novel, which launches today, incidentally! NaNo will help me get Book Three out by my very aggressive release date of Jan 20 (what was I thinking?????)
Chicago Blue: 100%

Diamond White: 95%

Solid Gold: 10%
Red Riley | Red Riley

Offline Felisia

• Fluffy Kitties are Bestest
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2017, 06:26:14 PM »
NaNo will help me get Book Three out by my very aggressive release date of Jan 20 (what was I thinking?????)

Best of luck, you have this and can do it!

I'm participating in NaNoWriMo this year too. I like trying to meet the deadline and reading/giving support to fellow writers. For myself, it especially helps me to kick the bad habit of constantly re-editing every single line that I write. I'm talking, over, and over again. Is it perfect enough? No, never! (*furiously writes a sentence out again for the 100th time*) It pushes me to simply write and not think about how terrible my prose truly is and just get the story finished already. So far, so good. I'm on top of the writing goal for the day but I better think of an outline soon or I'll get in trouble. Good luck all!

Offline Angela Holder

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2017, 10:30:20 PM »
I'm going for my twelfth win.  Almost all my books started as Nano novels, although I've only actually gotten to the end of the story in November a few times.  Hoping to do that this year.  I'm taking a break from my new romance pen name to write another fantasy under my own name.

Offline Carleton Chinner

• Brisbane, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Electronic Allegorist
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2017, 01:08:29 AM »
I'm in for my first time and gritting my teeth about how slow my typing is.
Day 3 and I've hit my 6000 goal. Now just got to keep up the same tempo

Carleton Chinner | Website

Offline Camille

• View Profile
    • Thigh Gap Hack
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2017, 12:29:24 PM »
I'm participating - writing my first novel "Too Old For This". I already have the outline (is that cheating?) so writing every day has turned out to be a breeze.

I also saw they have regional groups that meet up to have write in's - yet another way to hold yourself accountable, which I think is great.

We got this!!

Offline ceejay13

• Oh Canada!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2017, 01:26:23 PM »
This is my fourth time; The most I've gotten is about 30k so we'll see. I've done about 4k so far so here's hoping. It would be nice to be a winner for once :)  I'm a plotter so I have an outline; it's the stopping to do research that often undoes me. Good luck to all!

Offline ID Johnson

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2017, 02:30:06 PM »
This is my fourth year to do NaNo, too. This year is different for me since I'm staying home and making writing my full-time job (luckily my husband hasn't quit his day job or we'd be in a lot of trouble!) so I shouldn't have any trouble finishing. Good luck everyone!!

Offline Boyd

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2017, 06:43:00 PM »
32,104 words for November so far.  I just mathed my stated goals and scared the crap out of myself. Shooting for 216,000 words this month without taking a day off, or if I do, it's because I'm ahead somehow.  Shoot big, fall hard, right?

::thud

Offline antcurious

• View Profile
    • JK NEVE.COM
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2017, 05:58:24 AM »
32,104 words for November so far.  I just mathed my stated goals and scared the crap out of myself. Shooting for 216,000 words this month without taking a day off, or if I do, it's because I'm ahead somehow.  Shoot big, fall hard, right?

::thud

Ok now you're just showing off  8)

Good work man!
The Oscillator: 30%

Run: 90%
JK Neve

Offline CASD57

• Idaho
    • View Profile
    • Live The Dream
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2017, 10:29:27 AM »
I'm doing it mainly to get rid of  Writers Block and I've been doing the 1667 words avg. since it started...I' learned something already
I need a quiet room...  I've been writing on my lunch hour at work and I've been pumping out 1500-1700 words a day on my AlphSmart....
Can't do that at home with daily life all around me... and the computer in front of me..

C.A. Dayhoff | Current Projects

Online kenbritz

• New York
    • View Profile
    • Ken Britz
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2017, 07:56:15 PM »
*Snickers* Definitely panthing. ;-)

Oddly, there are many mixed and humorous visualizations from this. :)