KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2017  (Read 2441 times)  

Online VirginiaMcClain

• View Profile
    • Rain on a Summer's Afternoon
Re: NaNoWriMo 2017
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2017, 09:59:44 PM »
Oddly, there are many mixed and humorous visualizations from this. :)

I should hope so! ;-)
Warning: Stories may contain bad*ss women, possibly wielding katana
Virginia McClain | Blog | Website

Offline Jewel Allen

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 05, 2017, 01:31:52 AM »
Hi guys! I'm doing NaNo, too. :) I haven't done it in years, but decided I wanted to jumpstart my next romantic suspense novel this way.

So far so good...20k words in 4 days! I have never been this productive. Sprinting with others has helped so much, and has really kept me writing efficiently. I like writing intensely for two hours so I can get on with the rest of my day. It also helps to have a list of possible scenes for when I write myself into a corner, or run out of steam.

The thing I love about NaNo is that I am forced to write fast without editing which means I can keep the style consistent, and get the story down before I get bored/confused/discouraged. Plus, hopefully by the end of it all, I have a new manuscript to work with.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 01:35:58 AM by Jewel Allen »

Jewel Allen | Website | Facebook

Offline Marjorie Florestal

• California
    • View Profile
    • Thrillers With A Past
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2017, 03:36:57 AM »
Nanowrimo helped me write my first novel, but in the last few years Ive either been researching or editing when it came around. Im participating again this year and very excited. Glad to have discovered this thread.

Marjorie Florestal | Blog

Offline A. S. Warwick

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • Mist and Shadows
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2017, 09:02:10 AM »
10k after the first 5 days, so ahead of schedule.  The weekend was a bit busy so didn't get anywhere as much done on it as I would have liked but hope I can pick up the pace again.
Dead Man's Drop (Noir Dark Fantasy) Rewrite: 100%

Echo of the Ages Book 1 Rewrite: 7%

Unnamed Echo of the Ages Standalone First Draft: 50%
Mist and Shadows | Tales From a Thousand Worlds

Online cecilia_writer

• Edinburgh
    • View Profile
    • Cecilia Peartree - woman of mystery (blog)
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2017, 09:12:10 AM »
I reached 12k today but I was trying hard to be that much ahead as next week will be difficult - I have to go away overnight for work and that will wreck my schedule.

Offline CASD57

• Idaho
    • View Profile
    • Live The Dream
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2017, 01:18:25 PM »
Got a question..

How much editing before turning in my 50,000 words on the 30th  do you do or do you just turn in a rough 1st draft ?

C.A. Dayhoff | Current Projects

Offline kenbritz

• New York
    • View Profile
    • Ken Britz
« Reply #56 on: November 05, 2017, 01:47:48 PM »
Got a question..

How much editing before turning in my 50,000 words on the 30th  do you do or do you just turn in a rough 1st draft ?

No editing. You just hit the finish line and validate. Then the editing begins (or continue on if your novel is incomplete).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ken Britz | Facebook | Website

Online VirginiaMcClain

• View Profile
    • Rain on a Summer's Afternoon
« Reply #57 on: November 05, 2017, 07:23:43 PM »
Got a question..

How much editing before turning in my 50,000 words on the 30th  do you do or do you just turn in a rough 1st draft?

Indeed, as Ken said, just hit validate! No one sees it at all, it's just a question of verifying your word count. Not even the bots read it. :-)
Warning: Stories may contain bad*ss women, possibly wielding katana
Virginia McClain | Blog | Website

Offline Tshinanu

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2017, 08:03:55 PM »
Tried NaNo in 2015 and did about 30K that year. Still, ended up finishing that novel in the summer of 2016 so it was worth it. Never published it and ended up putting aside after realizing how drastically I needed to rewrite it. Now I'm rewriting it from scratch a year and a couple months later without referencing the past work aside from memory. Aiming for it to be 100K and to publish it and it synced in perfect with NaNo. This year I'm 100% determined to 'win' NaNo and have hit 23K for the month so far. A 10K day definitely helped and made me confident that with 5hrs of dedication, I can easily hit that in a day. I don't often have 5hrs straight to work on it but I do get it from time to time.

Anyways, 23K so far. Hit 2K today. Hoping for a big count tmr!

Offline CASD57

• Idaho
    • View Profile
    • Live The Dream
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2017, 08:31:26 PM »
I'm using Dabble for NaNoWriMo  it auto- load word count on NaNoWriMo... It's free for the month

C.A. Dayhoff | Current Projects

Offline Ryn Shell

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2017, 11:54:06 PM »
I've completed my NaNoWriMo novel last night. I began with the research complete, and a plot plan in place, on November 1.  Today I'm doing the self-edit, prior to getting the professional edit done. All is good.  :)
This is my seventh NaNoWriMo Year, for my seventh indie author novel. I am Gray Nomad in there.
Best wishes to everyone.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 11:59:38 PM by Ryn Shell »

Offline Mara B.

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 06, 2017, 06:56:38 PM »
It also helps to have a list of possible scenes for when I write myself into a corner, or run out of steam.
Thanks for the reminder that it can be out of order!

I've written about 9,200, which is actually good for me. Having a looming deadline and word count quotas really helps. So does the "stats" page. My main goal in this is overcoming my overanalyzing and my tendency to edit as I write, slowing down the whole process. Regardless of whether or not that makes the quality better, it isn't good for my life, my health, and my emotional state to write so slowly, with so much perfectionism and doubt. It's not good physically either, because it involves so much more time sitting in front of a computer and rereading/rewriting what I already wrote instead of writing new copy.

Anyway, the 9k is in addition to about 25k I had already written. (I don't count those words in my NaNo words, obviously.) So when I am done, I'll have about 75k.

Good luck to everyone! I'm trying to focus on the process plus the goal of improving productivity.

Christian romantic comedy
Mara Faro

Offline TiffanyTurner

• Silicon Valley, CA
    • View Profile
    • Tiffany Turner's Crystal Keeper Chronicles
« Reply #62 on: November 06, 2017, 08:47:18 PM »
Are you panthing or plothing? (puns galore)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pantsing with the occasional look at a basic romance novel outline, so I make sure I hit all the areas. Sometimes I like a loose road map when I pants.
The Lost Secret of Fairies
The Lost Secret of the Green Man
$0.99-$2.99 on Kindle
New Kindle Release:
The Lost Secret of Dragonfire
$3.99
Children's Adventure/Fantasy series
www.tiffany-turner.com
Blog: http://crystalkeeper.wordpress.com

Offline TiffanyTurner

• Silicon Valley, CA
    • View Profile
    • Tiffany Turner's Crystal Keeper Chronicles
« Reply #63 on: November 06, 2017, 08:47:59 PM »
I'm participating this year. But I cheated, I retired mid-October. Gives me 13+ hours each weekday I didn't used to have.  :)
Good timing on your retirement! Couldn't ask for a better way to celebrate.
The Lost Secret of Fairies
The Lost Secret of the Green Man
$0.99-$2.99 on Kindle
New Kindle Release:
The Lost Secret of Dragonfire
$3.99
Children's Adventure/Fantasy series
www.tiffany-turner.com
Blog: http://crystalkeeper.wordpress.com

Offline A. S. Warwick

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • Mist and Shadows
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2017, 08:47:31 AM »
1 week down, 15,234 words done.

Happy with the progress so far.  The trick is to keep it up over the rest of the month.
Dead Man's Drop (Noir Dark Fantasy) Rewrite: 100%

Echo of the Ages Book 1 Rewrite: 7%

Unnamed Echo of the Ages Standalone First Draft: 50%
Mist and Shadows | Tales From a Thousand Worlds

Online RRodriguez

• View Profile
    • The Pixie Chronicles
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2017, 08:54:03 AM »
I'm realizing how much it stinks being on the west coast. I constantly feel like I'm behind everyone else on the NaNo forums! I've been squeaking by day by day, so I don't need to do a bunch of catch up or anything, but when my day is just beginning when everyone else has already had time to get in a word sprint or two I start to panic! I'm a little over 10k right now, planning to add 2k by this evening.
thepixiechronicles.com

Online Craig Andrews

• Portland, OR
    • View Profile
    • Craig Andrews Website
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2017, 01:01:51 PM »
Yup jumping in for my 1st time! Are you writing in your superhero series Craig? If so, I'll be exercising great responsibility with my great powers along with you!

It's actually supposed to be an UF series, but you're not the first person to think my books are superhero. ;D I've started looking into how much it would cost to move to a more genre appropriate cover, but I'm not ready to take the dive yet. In any case, I'm working on a military science fiction trilogy. Book #1 is done, so I'm leveraging NaNo to focus on Book #2.

13k words and climbing. Tomorrow is another dedicated writing day for me, so here's to pushing for 20,000 words by the day's end.  :)

Online antcurious

• View Profile
    • JK NEVE.COM
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2017, 02:11:52 PM »
It's actually supposed to be an UF series, but you're not the first person to think my books are superhero. ;D I've started looking into how much it would cost to move to a more genre appropriate cover, but I'm not ready to take the dive yet. In any case, I'm working on a military science fiction trilogy. Book #1 is done, so I'm leveraging NaNo to focus on Book #2.

13k words and climbing. Tomorrow is another dedicated writing day for me, so here's to pushing for 20,000 words by the day's end.  :)

Sounds good! Yeah dunno why I thought superhero...I mean there's always a bit of crossover, but yours is obviously UF.  I'm antcurious on Nano if you want to be buddies.
The Oscillator: 30%

Run: 90%
JK Neve

Offline Vale

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2017, 09:41:35 AM »
I'm NaNo-ing, too. Travel plus being sick wiped out most of the first week, but I'm not out for the count yet. My username is 'kvn' if anyone needs to feel better about their own wordcount =]

In the past, one odd strategy that helped me was Cheerwine. It's a sort of cherry-cola soft drink from the Carolinas, but they carry it across the US in places like WorldMarket. I normally drink water or tea, but when I'd hit my word count goal for the day I'd open a bottle of Cheerwine and keep writing until I finished drinking it. One bottle is worth about 1,000 words.

Offline Keith Ward

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2017, 06:03:35 PM »
I'm in for the second time. I won last year, but I'm way behind this year. In fact, I should be writing . . .

Offline Edward M. Grant

• Canada (moved from UK)
    • View Profile
    • Edward M. Grant
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2017, 06:14:25 PM »
Another 200 words, and I'll have caught up with where I'm supposed to be today :).

Offline Mark August

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2017, 06:26:08 PM »
Im in for my second NaNo, and shooting for my second win. Ive also done 3 camps. NaNo is becoming my production schedule as this will be my third book.

25k words as of this morning

Mark

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
  • Storyteller and Cat Minion
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2017, 06:28:08 PM »
I'm not nanoing this year, but wanted to wish the best to everyone who is. Go forth and kill that 1667 words a day goal. Write fearlessly.

Online antcurious

• View Profile
    • JK NEVE.COM
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2017, 08:35:48 AM »
I'm NaNo-ing, too. Travel plus being sick wiped out most of the first week, but I'm not out for the count yet. My username is 'kvn' if anyone needs to feel better about their own wordcount =]

In the past, one odd strategy that helped me was Cheerwine. It's a sort of cherry-cola soft drink from the Carolinas, but they carry it across the US in places like WorldMarket. I normally drink water or tea, but when I'd hit my word count goal for the day I'd open a bottle of Cheerwine and keep writing until I finished drinking it. One bottle is worth about 1,000 words.

There are a few kvn's on there..which one are you? I'm antcurious if you want to add me!
The Oscillator: 30%

Run: 90%
JK Neve

Offline Tommy Muncie

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2017, 12:22:22 PM »
I'm in this year, just crossed the 20,000 word barrier this evening. This is my third time; I won in 14 and 15, the 14 project's down there in my signature and the 15 one I've just done yet another draft of and it's soon to join the other four. NaNo is good...always makes me do something extra just when I'm wrestling with burnout. This year's project is proving to be just what I needed: something completely different.

I'm 'Chacron' on the NaNoWriMo site if anyone wants to add me. If there's more than one clone of that username, I'm the one wearing the black and white jumper.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac