mblart

Author Topic: I fix websites (and I build them, too)  (Read 2261 times)  

Online Nate Hoffelder

• I build websites, and blog about ebooks
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Reader
I fix websites (and I build them, too)
« on: November 01, 2017, 09:12:04 PM »
Greetings and salutations.

Got a problem with your website that just won't go away? Want to rank higher in Google?  Would you like to know which of the WP bookshelf plugins is the best? Or do you want to move your site to a new home?

I can help. I've been building and fixing Wordpress websites since 2010. I know a hundred and one tricks for fixing and speeding up a website, tricks that I will explain as I work on your site.

I offer free critiques where I will tell you exactly what to change to make your site load faster, look better, and be more secure. You can have your tech do the work,  or I can do the work - promptly, and with a smile.

And I also build websites in addition to fixing them.  Everyone builds author websites, but I have also branched out and started making publisher websites. If you want a website for your publishing imprint, I can make it.

Here's one I put together over the course of a weekend: Third Body Press

You can contact me through KBoards, via my website, or by email.
email: nate@the-digital-reader.com

I look forward to working with you!
- Nate, publisher of The Digital Reader blog - www.the-digital-reader.com

Ask me how to speed up your site, the best bookshelf plugins, how to get your site ranked in Google, and why your site keeps crashing. If I don't know I will find out.

I offer free site critiques (tech, content, and design) and I will happily tell you what your tech guy needs to do.

Online Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
    • The Digital Reader
Re: I fix websites (and I build them, too)
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 04:42:22 AM »

Ask me how to speed up your site, the best bookshelf plugins, how to get your site ranked in Google, and why your site keeps crashing. If I don't know I will find out.

I offer free site critiques (tech, content, and design) and I will happily tell you what your tech guy needs to do.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 04:46:05 AM »
Welcome to Kboards!

You're welcome to promote your relevant business, service, product or website here in the Writers' Cafe!

Now that you have an official thread, you'll want to add your listing to our Yellow Pages Listing, found here:http://www.kboards.com/yp/. The listing is free to KB members and is completely self-service; you can add and edit your listing from the page.  More information on our Yellow Pages listing can be found here.

In your thread here, we ask that the same basic rules be followed as we have for authors in the Book Bazaar:  you may have this one thread about your service and must post to it rather than start a new thread each time.  New threads about the service will be removed.  Please bookmark this thread so that you can find it again to post to.  And, you may not make back-to-back posts to the thread within seven days.  If someone responds (such as this post), you may reply but otherwise must wait seven days, thanks! Also note that very short or one/two word posts with no meaningful information, are discouraged and may be deleted at the moderators' discretion.

Note that members are allowed to provide civil and honest feedback about your service to this thread, and you may respond in a civil manner. In particular, members may have questions about how the service works, what you get for your money, as well as concerns about whether or not it might violate Amazon ToS.

Disputes between you and clients should be handled off site.

Ann
KBoards Moderator

(Members: this welcome does not constitute an endorsement or vetting of a service by KBoards.  Members should do due diligence when considering using a service.)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
    • The Digital Reader
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 06:26:37 AM »
Thank you for the heads up, Ann. I am listed in the yellow page section on KBoards, but I only recently started this discussion thread.

I wanted to give authors a place where they can ask tech questions of a resident expert. I've been doing my own tech support since 2010 and there is little I don't know about fixing websites.

In addition to answering questions, I also offer free website critiques (design, content, and tech). So if anyone hs a question or concern, hit me up.

Online Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
    • The Digital Reader
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 01:53:51 PM »
I know of seven Wordpress plugins that authors can use to create a bookshelf of their work. I like Novelist, but a lot of authors like MyBookTable. Both plugins will make sure you include all the necessary details.

But these plugins don't met everyone's needs; some authors use pgae builder plugins like Content View or SiteOrigin's PageBuilder.

Offline Scarlettletters

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 03:02:44 PM »
Do you have a portfolio showing any more websites that you've designed?

Offline Evenstar

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 03:20:15 PM »
Can you answer questions about weebly as well as word press?

Offline Heather Boyd

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 04:49:21 PM »
Ooh! I have a question about my wordpress.org site. A weird bit of code suddenly appeared on the bottom of my pages and posts. It looks like formatting code [  but I don't know why its showing up. Its not changing the front end view (as far as I know) and it duplicates each time I resave the post or page. Only see it when I look at the coded view of the page. And its not on all pages yet. I did change my theme a little while ago, but to be honest I'm not sure what to make of it. I have Wordfence Security plugin working on the site and it says I'm clean, and my other plugins are up to date. Any thoughts?

Regency Romance Can Never Be Too Hot!
Heather Boyd | www.heather-boyd.com | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter | Bookbub

Offline Tizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 04:59:59 PM »
Ooh! I have a question about my wordpress.org site. A weird bit of code suddenly appeared on the bottom of my pages and posts. It looks like formatting code [  but I don't know why its showing up. Its not changing the front end view (as far as I know) and it duplicates each time I resave the post or page. Only see it when I look at the coded view of the page. And its not on all pages yet. I did change my theme a little while ago, but to be honest I'm not sure what to make of it. I have Wordfence Security plugin working on the site and it says I'm clean, and my other plugins are up to date. Any thoughts?

The server you're hosted on could be infected with a virus that is in turn causing this. However, that's unlikely with WP (or, if it was to happen, it likely wouldn't be noticeable by you.) Could you show us the code?

Online Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
    • The Digital Reader
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 05:12:17 PM »
Do you have a portfolio showing any more websites that you've designed?

Yes.
https://the-digital-reader.com/portfolio/

Online Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
    • The Digital Reader
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 05:18:51 PM »

What is the code, exactly? Where is it?

My first thing would be to google the code, and then Google parts of the code, and see if this leads me back to the developer (or, worst case, the hacker).

I'd also run the site through this to see if it had been hacked. (You have Wordfence, yes, but sometimes hackers still get through.)
https://sitecheck.sucuri.net/

Offline Heather Boyd

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 05:34:56 PM »
Nate, I never considered googling the code. Great idea. From doing so I've discovered it might be an issue with using Safari browser with the Pinterest extension (not the bookmarklet) added. Other sites have had the same issue and have the exact same code as mine. I've now removed the extension and hopefully that will fix it.

Link to the topic for anyone interested. https://wordpress.org/support/topic/invisible-html-for-background-image-appearing-at-bottom-of-postspages/

I'll be back to report if the problem returns.

Thank you Nate and Tizzy too.

Regency Romance Can Never Be Too Hot!
Heather Boyd | www.heather-boyd.com | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter | Bookbub

Offline Loosecannon

• Western frontier
    • View Profile
    • Modus Operandi Press
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 06:41:55 PM »
Two thumbs up for Nate. I have interacted with him over the years about various KDP / Nook Press technical, biz stuff, etc. He knows what indie publishers need and he is one of us.

Online Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
    • The Digital Reader
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2017, 04:03:42 AM »
Can you answer questions about weebly as well as word press?
I can offer a critique but I'm not as familiar with Weebly's quirks so i might not be able to answer tech support questions.

Online Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
    • The Digital Reader
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2017, 03:19:17 PM »
So I am allowed one post a week, and I can use it to pitch my services, post a testimonial, or provide useful info.

I'll take the third door, Monty, and share a couple useful tips. The first is for authors with Wordpress sites, and the second is for everyone.

I don't know if you've heard, but the next major Wordpress release (5.0) will feature a radically new interface. It's called Gutenberg, and in the long run it means that every menu you see now will look and act very different (think Mailchimp, only ten times as complicated).

If you want to see what's coming, you can try Gutenberg now as a plugin. If you hate what you see, the official release is going to have the option to switch back to the older menus (so we've been told).

The second tip has to do with website security and the Chrome web browser.

A future version of Chrome is going to warn users when the form they are about to fill in is on an insecure webpage. Users will get this warning when the page has HTTP, not HTTPS. (This was supposed to have happened in October, in fact.)

If you have a site, you will need to make sure it uses HTTPS and that it is actually secure (this is more complicated than it sounds). If your site is on Blogger, Squarespace, Wordpress.com, SiteGround, or WPEngine, this is either an easy fix or has already been taken care of for you. If your site is hosted elsewhere, the first step is to contact your hosting company and ask them about this.

Do let me know if you need help, or have  a question.

P.S. I recently started a series called Tech Tools for Authors. Here's the first post.

Offline Scarlettletters

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2017, 04:28:39 AM »
This may be like asking "How much does a house cost", but how much would a wordpress site like this one cost, or do you have a price range for website design?

http://authorjdaniels.com/

Online Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
    • The Digital Reader
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2017, 05:08:29 AM »
This may be like asking "How much does a house cost", but how much would a wordpress site like this one cost, or do you have a price range for website design?

http://authorjdaniels.com/
The price is usually between $300 and $600,

Online Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
    • The Digital Reader
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2017, 09:29:12 AM »
Here's a quick & dirty guide to switching a Wordpress site to HTTPS (including a few secrets no one thinks to tell you).

Most WP sites (about 75%) can switch to HTTPS in three steps:
  • get and install an SSL certificate
  • switch site address (in the WP settings menu) from HTTP to HTTPS
  • install and configure the SSL Insecure Content Fixer plugin (start with the lowest setting, and increase it until the site is secure)
That will work to secure most WP sites, but it is only about half the job.

Changing from HTTP to HTTPS can break external services. For example:
  • If you use Google search console, you'll need to make a new entry for the HTTPS website address
  • Switching to HTTPS will make your existing social share counts drop to zero, and you'll need to use a plugin like Social Warfare or AddToAny to recover the shares
It's hard to say what will break when switching a site to HTTPS, which is why we usually have to check everything.

Online Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
    • The Digital Reader
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2018, 12:29:16 PM »
I had a busy month in December. I helped over a dozen authors with their sites, and also wrote handouts on explaining how the average user could speed up a WP site (PDF), and make it more secure (PDF).

My schedule is freeing up in the last week of January, if anyone needs help.

Online Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
    • The Digital Reader
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2018, 04:35:47 PM »
If you are looking for a site where you can spread the word about your ebook sale, I just posted a list of 70 site:
https://the-digital-reader.com/2018/01/21/nates-big-list-free-paid-book-promotion-websites/

Online Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
    • The Digital Reader
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2018, 08:05:36 AM »
It's been busy this past month. Between updates, upgrades, and building new sites, I've hardly had time to participate in the forums here at KBoards.

If February had a theme, it would be Bluehost, because this one hosting company causes more problems than any other. That's good news for me given that I get paid to fix the problems, but it's not good news for my clients, which is why i usually recommend against using Bluehost.

But I have decided the theme for March will be more positive. I'd like to publish more educational posts on my blog. For example, I just published a post on how authors can benefit from automation, how and why you should delete your Twitter history, and I also dove into how sentiment analysis could one day tell you what readers are feeling.

If you have a question, whether it's how to do something, where to find a service, or what a certain error message means, please let me know. I'd be happy to answer it for you.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 08:36:50 AM by Nate Hoffelder »

Offline Evenstar

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2018, 02:36:57 PM »
I know you don't do Weebly sites, but any idea how I make a pop up box appear on mine? I can't see anything I need to click to make that happen. Is it normally an app I need to buy or something (not a very technical person, but I love learning so I like to know how to do all these things myself).

Online Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
    • The Digital Reader
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2018, 02:43:23 PM »
I know you don't do Weebly sites, but any idea how I make a pop up box appear on mine? I can't see anything I need to click to make that happen. Is it normally an app I need to buy or something (not a very technical person, but I love learning so I like to know how to do all these things myself).

It depends on the pop-up box.

If it's for a mailing list, you can create the form on, say, Mailchimp. Build it as a pop-up, and then copy the code so you can embed it in the header of your Weebly site.

What are you doing with it?

Offline Remington Kane

• New Jersey, U.S.A.
    • View Profile
    • WWW.REMINGTONKANE.COM
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2018, 07:09:47 PM »
Nate knows what he's doing. He fixed a problem I had in no time flat. He's my go-to guy for tech problems.

Online Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
    • The Digital Reader
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2018, 06:39:58 AM »
Nate knows what he's doing. He fixed a problem I had in no time flat. He's my go-to guy for tech problems.

Thanks! You're so kind.