Author Topic: I fix websites (and I build them, too)  (Read 2203 times)  

Offline Evenstar

• UK
    • View Profile
Re: I fix websites (and I build them, too)
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2018, 11:18:51 AM »
It depends on the pop-up box.

If it's for a mailing list, you can create the form on, say, Mailchimp. Build it as a pop-up, and then copy the code so you can embed it in the header of your Weebly site.

What are you doing with it?

Ah, thanks. I was looking for a way to build it on the site. Okay, I'll go and see what I can learn in mailchimp. Thanks Nate  :)

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• I build websites, and blog about ebooks
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Reader
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2018, 01:59:56 PM »
Ah, thanks. I was looking for a way to build it on the site. Okay, I'll go and see what I can learn in mailchimp. Thanks Nate  :)
Glad I could help!
- Nate, publisher of The Digital Reader blog - www.the-digital-reader.com

Ask me how to speed up your site, the best bookshelf plugins, how to get your site ranked in Google, and why your site keeps crashing. If I don't know I will find out.

I offer free site critiques (tech, content, and design) and I will happily tell you what your tech guy needs to do.

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
    • The Digital Reader
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2018, 12:29:43 PM »
I have a special offer for KBoards members. I recently picked up a volume license for the MalCare website security plugin for WP sites on sale really cheap, and I am passing them along at cost (plus the Paypal fee).

I have 4 lifetime licenses for MalCare available for $11 each. This includes a firewall, malware scanner, and malware removal. Here are some reviews to help you make up your mind:
https://encrypted.google.com/search?hl=en&q=malcare%20review

This is a good deal, and here's the catch. You can install the plugin but you cannot manage it. I have to manage from my account on the MalCare website. That is not ideal, but for $11 I think we can live with it.

At the very least it is better than the competition. Godaddy, for example, charges you $5 a month for basically the same service - and they will try to con you into paying for security even if you don't need it. This is a one-time cost, and if it doesn't work out for you, yes, I will refund your money.

If you would like one of the license, please send me a DM.

Ask me how to speed up your site, the best bookshelf plugins, how to get your site ranked in Google, and why your site keeps crashing. If I don't know I will find out.

I offer free site critiques (tech, content, and design) and I will happily tell you what your tech guy needs to do.

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
    • The Digital Reader
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2018, 07:31:19 AM »
Hi all,

It's been a busy month since I last updated this topic. I've learned a few lessons from getting my first flyers printed, and found a nifty way to automate my social media posts.

Oh, and here's something new: I'm going to start holding an AMA (ask me anything) here in KBoards on Thursday. It's going to be a kind of clinic where I answer tech questions about websites and related topics, so if you have a problem please let me know.

But that's not the important news today.

I am starting a website concierge service where, for a flat monthly fee, I maintain and update your website, and advise on tech products that you want to use. This is mainly for Wordpress sites, but I can help with other platforms. My support plan includes regularly scheduled backups, updates, and security checks., and I will also host your site on my server if you like.

The service will cost $50 a month when it launches. If you would like to join the beta test, please send me a DM.

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
    • The Digital Reader
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2018, 11:05:35 AM »
Want to see something cool?

Over the weekend I taught myself how to make links that, when clicked, open a share box on Twitter or Facebook.

Here's one example. Go on, click it.

BTW, when I wrote last week that I'd hold an AMA or clinic on Thursday, I meant every Thursday. Today I will be hanging out on KBoards  until 4 pm eastern (for the next couple hours). If you have a question about websites, I am here.

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
    • The Digital Reader
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2018, 06:39:57 PM »
I was so busy today with helping clients with last minute GDPR compliance that I forgot to show up today. (I finished my compliance over the weekend; how about you?)

I come bearing gifts: a comprehensive list of apps you can use for market research and to track your sales. (This list is the most complete one online.)

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
    • The Digital Reader
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2018, 08:04:05 AM »
It was a busy week for me, folks, and I wasn't able to make it here on Thursday.

As always, I am here with helpful info if you have a question. In the meantime, I recently published a post with useful marketing ideas you can try in your spare time.

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
    • The Digital Reader
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2018, 02:10:51 PM »
*gasps* *crawls closer*  *wheeze* I don't know about you, but I didn't think I would survive this week. 

A tip: WP security plugins might have their settings reset when updated, which is why you should check them regularly. (I found this out when someone tried to hack my site on Wednesday.)

As always, I am here to help if you have a question. In the meantime, I recently published a post that lists tools you can use for market research and for generating sales reports.

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• View Profile
    • The Digital Reader
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2018, 07:21:02 AM »
Happy Thursday everyone!

A tip: If you share something on your FB author page, and someone likes it, you can invite that person to like your page. This is a neat trick, but I'm not sure you should use it because I have been told FB will use the invite as an excuse to start showing your page updates to that person until they choose to opt out.

It's been a fun week for me; I've just moved one of my mailing lists from MailChimp to MailerLite. The latter costs less, and has better automation (it's past time I adding a welcome email, and the MailChimp option just didn't look very good). BTW,  I recently wrote a post on essential mailing list tools; one of the tools I think we should be using is a welcome email (it helps establish a connection with subscribers).

Have a good weekend!