Author Topic: 5,000 words per week club.  (Read 11399 times)  

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
5,000 words per week club.
« on: November 02, 2017, 04:20:47 PM »
We went from a 1K word per day club to a 3K per day. What about those of us who just don't want to crank out that much? I understand the concept behind high output, but I do things differently.

When I write the end of the last chapter, it's actually the third draft, since I edit the previous two day's work every weekday, before writing anything new. When it's done, it's ready for beta reading that same day, and is a fairly clean manuscript. Five thousand words a week is a short novel in ten weeks, or a fairly long novel in five months. By working M-F, if I fall behind because of life, I can work weekends to catch up and better schedule cover, editing, and formatting.

I've slowed my output to only two releases this year, in April and August. Next year I'll release two more, in January/February and another in late spring. In 2019, I'll probably release three, since the first release will be in January. I take a full week off for NINC, the Key West Mystery Fest, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Spring break. Plus, I take 6-8 weeks off in the summer.

So, come on, slowpokes! Speak up! Are you trying to slow down and enjoy life with the income your writing provides?
NINC President-Elect. My Amazon Bestselling, twelve-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  four-volume Charity Styles Series, also Amazon Bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, with many more exciting adventures to come. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, and is also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
Semper Fi,
Wayne Stinnett | Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Amazon Author Page | Motivational Videos | Down Island Press | Ship's Store Swag

Online Carol (was Dara)

• View Profile
Re: 5,000 words per week club.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 04:37:28 PM »
*Raises hand* Another slow(ish) writer here. I do 10k words per week, broken into 2k per day, Mon-Fri. The weekends are for whittling away at piles of dishes and laundry, helping my kids catch up on their homework, untangling snags in my outline, or (if I'm lucky) resting and Netflixing. It's a pace I can comfortably keep up for a long time.

Offline Lynn Is A Pseudonym

• Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 04:39:50 PM »
I just set myself a 500 words a day goal to try to become a more consistent writer, with the goal to write every day since it's only 500 words. I never really sped up though, since my average word count for the last five years has been just over 600 words a day. (Consistent daily writing has just been impossible for me and I've got to find a way to crack that nut.)

:)

I was very close to starting a 500 a day thread when I saw this one. Does 3500 a week count? ;)

Offline Day Leitao

• Montreal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 04:53:43 PM »
Haha, I read this quickly and thought it was 5k a day.  ???

I was thinking wow, wow, folks are getting insane here. :-\

Then I click on it out of curiosity, and the first post is all about slowing down.  :o

Well, I read it better and I understood. 5k a week is a nice goal, especially for authors who don't write every single day of the week. 

Online Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 04:54:26 PM »
Me, me, me!!!!!

I write stuff that often requires research, or at least thinking out plots. I am a pantser.

I could crank out thousands of words each day, but the thing is, I wouldn't enjoy it for very long. I left the cubicle world because I hated it. I don't want to do stuff I don't enjoy (heaven knows there is enough tax and financial BS in the life of a self-published writer already, I don't need to add writing-related stuff that I have to force myself to do).

Instead, I focus on making the words I publish better so that my books will sell more for longer (and are evergreen) rather than jumping on the fast-release, trend-chasing treadmill.

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 05:03:21 PM »
I'm also a slow writer and prefer to edit previous stuff, especially when I'm trying to work out where my story goes next. My draft 1 is pretty clean as a result, so I think the slower pace works in the long run for me. Besides, I'm too picky to leave something be if I don't like it. I would go nuts just flat out writing a whole book without looking back at anything.

Offline Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 05:35:48 PM »
I'm slow.  I always edit the previous chapter before I write the next one and I don't do this full time.  Even if I did, there is no way I could write 3,000 words a day.  I write 500, stare into a corner or garden for an hour, think of the next plot twist, then write some more.

My hat is off to those who can write fast.  I think it's great!  It's just not for me.

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Books2Read

Offline DmGuay

• OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 06:27:57 PM »
I aim for 2k words 5 days a week WHEN I'm writing a first draft. That's worked out okay. Those bursts of writing are interspersed with two months here and there of all in revision and editing coupled with print and ebook formatting.

Charity, Unchained: Guardians of Salt Creek historical novel: 10%

Jesse, Redeemed: Guardians of Salt Creek book 3: 100%
D.M. Guay | Web site

Offline dianapersaud

• View Profile
    • Diana Persaud
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 06:31:08 PM »
Count me in.

With two small children, a lot of my time is devoted to projects, homework, after school activities, chores etc.

Like Wayne, I take summers off, Xmas off, and of course there's Thanksgiving coming up. I write around my family schedule (instead of the other way around).

My goal is 2k a day / 10k a week. Sometimes I make it, sometimes I don't.

Diana Persaud | My Website

Offline Sapphire

• Omaha NE
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 06:37:02 PM »
5000 per week sounds doable. I can't write every day. Other things in life sometimes take my full attention. But a weekly goal? I can do that. So, count me in. When do we start?

Offline Abderian

• View Profile
    • JJ Green
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 08:15:07 PM »
I can manage 3000 words a day quite easily if I have it planned out, but the higher my word count the more the quality drops and I have to spend more time on revising. I'm at peace with myself now about not being a fast, clean writer. I can do one or the other but not both, and writing clean is more satisfying and I believe faster in the long run when revisions are taken into account.

J.J. Green | Website | Twitter | Facebook

Offline Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 08:27:41 PM »
Same, I was gonna yell til I saw week ... lol.. I am already over this count though so I better pass :)  Awesome luck to all of you! It really helps to post your numbers!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 08:37:55 PM by Pandorra »
Edge-Reaper\'s Legacy: 54%

Legends of Elera - Covenant: 75%

Evolution\'s Fury: 35%
Dean Rencraft | Authors in Motion

Offline RRodriguez

• View Profile
    • The Pixie Chronicles
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 08:28:11 PM »
Yup, slow writer over here. Since this is the first year I've started really getting serious about my writing, I challenged myself to keep track of my monthly output. It would seem I average about 14-16k a month. My lowest month was only 6k and my highest was 33k (though I hope to break that this month with NaNoWriMo!). I know it doesn't seem like a lot, but I try to remind myself that I've already completed two first drafts, am a third of the way through on another, and with NaNo kicking my butt, I'm on my way to getting a good chunk done on a fourth, so I don't think I'm really too bad. Since I work full-time and I almost never have time to write on the weekends, I just have to constantly remember that I need to go at my own pace and to do my personal best.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 08:32:19 PM by RRodriguez »
thepixiechronicles.com

Offline Sam Kates

• UK
  • From the land of song and dragons.
    • View Profile
    • Sam Kates
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2017, 01:32:45 AM »
I'm doing around 5k a week at the moment. I've recently gone part-time in my mind-numbing regular job which has freed up two or three days each week to write. What a luxury that feels. But I also need to get to grips with marketing so am using some of that freed-up time for that. So writing 5k words is a good, manageable number for me right now.

sam kates

Online Sarah Shaw

• Prague
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2017, 04:12:31 AM »
My critique group keeps me on the straight and narrow- so I generally manage 3,000 words (one chapter) a week. It's by no means final copy, since I generally don't know what's going to happen until it does- and if I tried to fix the previously written stuff right away I'd lose all forward momentum. It's also historical- and usually rather obscure, not easily discovered history as well, so lots of research necessary. The upshot is I think I might still manage to publish the first in the series this year. Maybe. I had the initial idea for what's now the last book in the series back in about 1980. First draft of that was written in 2005 for my first NaNoWriMo. Then I did a 'prequel' in 2010. Since then I've done two more. The one I'm working on now is set in Morocco, circa 1776. Selling would be nice, but the main thing is I get to spend time with my characters, exploring the world that became ours.

Offline T. M. Bilderback

• Friday the 13th comes on a Tuesday this month.
    • View Profile
    • T. M. Bilderback's Website
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2017, 04:44:09 AM »
I used to be able to crank out around 2000 words a day. I still can, I just don't. I prefer to take my time.

I discovered that, after a while of that, I have to rest a bit. I've slowed down considerably. I only had four releases this year. I had hoped to have five, but it doesn't look like it will happen. I probably will do what I did since 2015 - write a few stories, then release them over a period of time. I enjoy doing that, rather than put pressure on myself to "release, release, release".

Of course, every author has their own comfortable way of writing, and that's great!

T. M. Bilderback | Newsletter | Facebook

Offline CopperDog

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2017, 05:52:38 AM »
I'm up for this. Needing a bit of cattle prod at the moment to recapture motivation and this may be it. Posting word counts weekly?

Offline wilsonharp

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2017, 06:00:20 AM »
Had to go back to full time employment because of life issues, so I am trying to get back to 500 words a day on weekdays and another couple of thousand on the weekends. So 5,000 a week sounds reasonable to me at this point. Been over a year and a half since I put a book out and I'm almost done with the next one, but before I can get back to a three or four book a year schedule, I have to get back into the routine of daily writing, so this is the goals I have set.

Offline AliceS

• Asheville, NC
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2017, 06:27:46 AM »
This is where I am. I hope for 5000, but it varies. I write a quick and dirty first draft that is sort of a hefty outline, usually about 40,000.  I call it the bones of the story. Sometimes I can fly through that and sometimes it's quicksand. Putting meat on the bones is always easier. While the current story is out to readers, etc, I start on the next, usually in a different series.

This spring I hit a wall. Serious brain fog made writing pointless because anything I put out was crap. I think I scheduled myself into mental exhaustion. I took some time off and came back to it with a much better outlook. I need to schedule in some time off so that I don't feel guilty not putting in my quota every day.

Science Fiction, Fantasy and Mystery
Alice Sabo | Blog | Facebook | Website

Offline WyandVoidbringer

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2017, 06:53:13 AM »
I wish I could manage more than 5k words a week, but that's around what I average.

With a full-time job and a growing baby boy, I just don't have the time to write any more than that.

Sandell Wall | Sandell's Website

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2017, 08:20:50 AM »
Yeah, this is probably me. Even if I turn off all distractions, I still spend a lot of time staring out the window rearranging the plot in my brain, or pacing. I pace a lot trying to figure out my stories.

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
C. Gockel | facebook | tumblr | website

Offline StacyC

• Seattle-ish
  • Run like you have to get to the library
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Claflin, Author
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2017, 08:39:15 AM »
I too thought the title of this post was 5k a day! Even though my goal is 15k a week, I'm curious about Wayne's editing process. The second draft drives me nuts. Breaking it up and being ready to send my drafts to betas immediately sounds wonderful!

Best of luck to all of you 5k a weekers! I think that was about my goal when I was working full time, and it was enough to get me to the point of becoming a full-time writer.

USA Today bestselling author of The Gone Trilogy & Dean's List: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Free Books

Offline Chrissy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2017, 09:00:07 AM »
I too thought the title of this post was 5k a day! Even though my goal is 15k a week, I'm curious about Wayne's editing process. The second draft drives me nuts. Breaking it up and being ready to send my drafts to betas immediately sounds wonderful!

Best of luck to all of you 5k a weekers! I think that was about my goal when I was working full time, and it was enough to get me to the point of becoming a full-time writer.

He described his process here on his blog:

http://waynestinnett.blogspot.com/2015/01/self-editing-for-dummies-like-me.html

Offline Lynn Is A Pseudonym

• Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2017, 09:10:59 AM »
I don't have any excuses for why I need a 500 a day goal. I just can't seem to get my brain to put out story any faster than what it does. After 5 years of this (4+ years writing for a living), I've just about given up trying to write faster.

Sometimes it helps me to write more than one story at a time but that usually wears me down pretty quickly. After a week, I'm done and don't end up writing much else for a while. I get brain fatigue remarkably fast when it comes to writing and making stuff up. :o

I was a much better employee than I am a writer, lol. I was one of those people that came in, got right to work, and got things done. I had focus and I was highly productive. I'm just not that person when it comes to writing and I can't really figure out why.

I'd really rather be writing a steady 1000-2000 a day because I really think that's entirely doable while still having plenty of time for a leisurely life, but I can't seem to get there. Ah well. I'll just hang with other slow writers and enjoy the life I've got!

Offline StacyC

• Seattle-ish
  • Run like you have to get to the library
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Claflin, Author

USA Today bestselling author of The Gone Trilogy & Dean's List: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Free Books

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac