Author Topic: 5,000 words per week club.  (Read 11431 times)  

Offline LilyBLily

• View Profile
Re: 5,000 words per week club.
« Reply #50 on: November 20, 2017, 02:02:23 PM »
I'm doing NaNo this month and once past about 25k I usually start sailing. But I can't do it every month, and some winter months I can't write at all. Wish I could know how much I can write in a year but progress is always bumpy.

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2017, 07:44:56 PM »
By working through the weekend, I added 8662 words to Rising Fury, putting me 2066 words ahead of schedule. That's two whole days. I'll give myself Thanksgiving off, as planned, and maybe Friday, as well. The story's coming together nicely, it's now over 54K words, so officially a novel. And I have a pretty good idea of the ending, with basic outlines for the last five chapters. It's downhill now.
NINC President-Elect. My Amazon Bestselling, twelve-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  four-volume Charity Styles Series, also Amazon Bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, with many more exciting adventures to come. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, and is also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
Semper Fi,
Wayne Stinnett | Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Amazon Author Page | Motivational Videos | Down Island Press | Ship's Store Swag

Offline dianapersaud

• View Profile
    • Diana Persaud
« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2017, 05:20:58 AM »
I'm doing NaNo this month and once past about 25k I usually start sailing. But I can't do it every month, and some winter months I can't write at all. Wish I could know how much I can write in a year but progress is always bumpy.

If you have Excel, create a simple spreadsheet with the date and daily WC. I do this and graph it. It's amazing to see a visual representation of how I write. I can see patterns: When I take time off, that my Daily WC is improving etc.

Diana Persaud | My Website

Offline Douglas Milewski

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2017, 05:51:48 AM »
My story chunk was 8k behind on Saturday morning. As of this morning's revision, I'm only 2k behind. I'm ahead of schedule going into Thanksgiving. (My daughter is also demanding the next chunk. That's the problem when you live with your biggest fan.)

Disclaimer: I sell horribly. Set your filters accordingly.

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2017, 02:55:14 PM »
I managed to stay on schedule through Thanksgiving, even though we had family in from out of town. Fortunately, late nights don't affect me much, so I was able to wake early and get a couple of short sprints in to maintain the schedule. After eleven weeks of writing, I ended this past week with a total of 57,124 words, with a goal of 57,000 even. I've padded that yesterday and today with a little over 1000 words each day. I now have twelve days to write 10,000 words to finish the manuscript at 70,000 and get it to my beta readers.

On a side note, I was approved for a BookBub promotion of the first book in my spinoff series, scheduled for Christmas Eve. My release date for this new book (#12 in the original series) is December 28th, and I'll discount the first book in the main series for the same time span, December 23-27. This will bring the first book in both series up into the top 1000 on release day, and the new release should reach the top 100, adding more fuel to the fire.
NINC President-Elect. My Amazon Bestselling, twelve-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  four-volume Charity Styles Series, also Amazon Bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, with many more exciting adventures to come. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, and is also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
Semper Fi,
Wayne Stinnett | Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Amazon Author Page | Motivational Videos | Down Island Press | Ship's Store Swag

Offline katrina46

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2017, 12:33:59 AM »
It depends on my mood. I get a burst of energy and inspiration and have done 10k in one day before. Other times I do 1000k a day and am perfectly happy with that. I have even done as little as 500 words a day when life gets in the way. It seems like my releases have longer tails now that we have AMS ads, so I don't worry as much about churning. I started a new pen name last year and only released 3 novels under it, the last release being three months ago and I still get sales and borrows. Of course, I'd make more if I wrote faster, so there's that.

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2017, 05:13:40 AM »
We're each the skipper of our own vessels. If I run aground, I have only myself to blame. So, I plot a course to avoid the shallows and allow a little more depth under the keel just in case a foul wind blows.

I need this tattooed on my forehead, for when I get down on myself for not writing at times. I've been sick, and with an issue with my Type II at the same time, it's been really hard to accept that I probably just don't have the brain power to write. I'm not one of those people who can say "I get my eleventy-billion words every day, no matter what!", and I doubt at this point that would ever happen.

I do try to stick to a schedule I came up with that allowed me to only need to write five days a week. I took Wednesdays off, because that's shopping day, and I could float the other day depending on what was going on. I've fallen down on that spectacularly this month. I shouldn't have ever committed to doing NaNo. I always freeze up when I set goals and deadlines like that. Even if I hadn't gotten sick, I likely wouldn't have made it, because self-sabotage. And the worse thing is, the less I do, the more I feel like I'm a fake, I don't want it badly enough, blah blah.

Anyway, enough pity party for the day. I'm going to try this 5K a week thing, see if I can get myself back in the saddle so I can ride this horse, rather than beat it to death. Thanks for posting this, Wayne.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline Douglas Milewski

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2017, 06:15:02 AM »
Wednesday to Wednesday, 7,000 words. WIP now stands at 72k. My goal is 80k.

Disclaimer: I sell horribly. Set your filters accordingly.

Offline LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2017, 06:23:08 AM »
I did my 50k in November for NaNo; that makes my weekly average 12.5k. No way can I keep that up as the days grow shorter. This novel was meant to be 50k, so it's done, but it's a very rough first draft because of the time deadline involved.

Offline Mylius Fox

• Cognitive syntactical wizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2017, 06:56:15 AM »
I'm vying hard to join this club, but as of yet it eludes me. :D

If I count days that I've written, I'm averaging 600 words a day, but if I count the total against all the days in the calendar, I'm averaging 260.  :(

On the other hand, it took me two years to write the first novel, and if I continue at this pace, it'll only take one year to finish...

Weirdly enough, I've only increased my average very slightly compared to the first one, maybe only an extra 20 words a day, and when I tally it up, I'm still averaging having written on only 40% of the days in each respective time period.  ::) The only concrete difference is I no longer have to completely redraft so many chapters like I did in the beginning...

Ugh, I'd better figure out how to light a bigger fire under my ███!

Offline Laura Rae Amos

• Metro DC
    • View Profile
    • LauraRaeAmos.com
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2017, 07:02:25 AM »
I wish I had seen this thread instead of starting a NaNoWriMo this month (and quitting after a couple days.) It's not that 1667 words/day is unreasonable, but 7 days a week for a month straight is what always kills it for me. This year's NaNo was especially bad with travel and kid/school stuff.

However, 5000 words a week is really very doable. And it really adds up to a lot if you actually do it ~5 of the 7 days, and keep going. It's an ideal pace for me, averaging low days and high days, so count me in!

I really need to grow some accountability somehow. As an indie with no real following yet, nobody but me cares whether I finish the next novel or not, so it's easy to get discouraged and weasel out of the work. How do you guys muster up the discipline to show up every day?

Wayne, your spreadsheet is incredible! I really like how you schedule every step along the way to publication, and even the after-pub work. It must be very rewarding to see it envisioned like that and follow through.

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2017, 07:53:56 AM »
I wish I had seen this thread instead of starting a NaNoWriMo this month (and quitting after a couple days.) It's not that 1667 words/day is unreasonable, but 7 days a week for a month straight is what always kills it for me. This year's NaNo was especially bad with travel and kid/school stuff.

However, 5000 words a week is really very doable. And it really adds up to a lot if you actually do it ~5 of the 7 days, and keep going. It's an ideal pace for me, averaging low days and high days, so count me in!

I really need to grow some accountability somehow. As an indie with no real following yet, nobody but me cares whether I finish the next novel or not, so it's easy to get discouraged and weasel out of the work. How do you guys muster up the discipline to show up every day?

Wayne, your spreadsheet is incredible! I really like how you schedule every step along the way to publication, and even the after-pub work. It must be very rewarding to see it envisioned like that and follow through.

This is exactly why a daily word count doesn't work as well. For NaNo you strive for 50K words in a month. Not impossible, but when you break it down to 1667 words per day, and miss that mark on any given day, it might give you a feeling of failure, making the next day tougher.

What if you break the NaNo project down into just four weeks, instead of 30 days? And what if you break those four weeks down into just five work days for a total of 20 work days? Now, your daily target is 2500 words. Still not impossible. On good days, I've gone into the 3000-4000 range, since I started keeping track of such things. Before I was told I couldn't do it, I wrote my second novel, all 105K words, had it edited and published in 71 days, while working a 60 hour week as a trucker. Some of those days, I'm sure I hit 5K words.

Setting a NaNo goal of 12,500 words per week and starting on Monday, if you can hit 2500 words per day through the week, you get the weekend off. If you miss a daily target (remember it's not a daily goal), it's not a failure, because you can make it up the next day or by working on Saturday. I work through the weekends quite often to intentionally get ahead of schedule. Then I can reward my hard work with a long weekend. My sister and her husband came to visit last week and were here for five days. When they arrived, I was well ahead of schedule and only needed about 1200 words to reach my weekly goal. When you only need 1200 words in five days, you can do that in 20 minute sprints. So, I woke up an hour before anyone else and knocked out 1500 words by the time they left. And it didn't impede on enjoying their company.

Scheduling time off, to let your mind unwind, or take care of life's moments is hugely important in our job.
Semper Fi,

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2017, 05:01:05 PM »
Stick a fork in it.

My WIP is now with my beta reading team. Editing, proofreading, and formatting dates are locked in. With a BookBub promo the day before the release, I'm going to try to move it up one more day, to December 27th, to coincide with the promo.
Semper Fi,

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2018, 11:06:55 AM »
Rising Fury was released on time on December 27th. Note to self: Avoid launching around the holidays. It was the first time one of my new releases didn't eclipse the previous one. It has over ten days, but the launch was stalled due to the holidays.

So, I've started the next project this week. During the down time after the launch, I worked on some plot ideas and started polishing the opening scene. This past Monday was the beginning of the first week of writing with a goal of only 3000 words. I already had 500 written in the opening scene, so it was simple to ease back into writing. I expanded the opening scene into nearly a full chapter now with 3772 words. Next week's goal is another 4000 words, then after that, I'm shooting for 6000 words per week, to be able to finish all three books by the end of the year.

This is my writing and publishing schedule, which I posted on my Facebook page. I've found that scheduling my work and announcing that schedule keeps me accountable. Next to it on the spreadsheet is a 2018 calendar with dates highlighted in color for each book.
Semper Fi,

Offline amy_wokz

• "Think loose; write tight."
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2018, 11:51:07 AM »
Rising Fury was released on time on December 27th. Note to self: Avoid launching around the holidays. It was the first time one of my new releases didn't eclipse the previous one. It has over ten days, but the launch was stalled due to the holidays.

So, I've started the next project this week. During the down time after the launch, I worked on some plot ideas and started polishing the opening scene. This past Monday was the beginning of the first week of writing with a goal of only 3000 words. I already had 500 written in the opening scene, so it was simple to ease back into writing. I expanded the opening scene into nearly a full chapter now with 3772 words. Next week's goal is another 4000 words, then after that, I'm shooting for 6000 words per week, to be able to finish all three books by the end of the year.

This is my writing and publishing schedule, which I posted on my Facebook page. I've found that scheduling my work and announcing that schedule keeps me accountable. Next to it on the spreadsheet is a 2018 calendar with dates highlighted in color for each book.

Many thanks for sharing that, Wayne. I find it very helpful.
"Readers prefer the clear and concise delivery of an exciting story more than the flowery and sublime delivery of utter ennui." - Hugh Howey

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2018, 12:27:58 PM »
The attached calendar, showing 5-day writing blocks for three books and weeks off for spring break, Key West Mystery Fest, NINC, and the holidays. White areas are work days, but no writing. Because, why schedule to do something when you know you're going to be distracted? The three launch days are outlined in red.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 12:31:37 PM by Wayne Stinnett »
Semper Fi,

Offline williamvw

• Hillsboro, OR
    • View Profile
    • William Van Winkle
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2018, 04:30:05 PM »
Wayne, this is incredibly helpful. Thank you. If I can ask, when/where do you bake planning/outlining/research into your schedule? I'm a bit shell-shocked (meaning, hugely envious) at the brevity of your editing window, and I have to believe it is made possible my a very solid first draft in turn made possible by excellent planning. So or not so?

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2018, 08:22:06 PM »
Wayne, this is incredibly helpful. Thank you. If I can ask, when/where do you bake planning/outlining/research into your schedule? I'm a bit shell-shocked (meaning, hugely envious) at the brevity of your editing window, and I have to believe it is made possible my a very solid first draft in turn made possible by excellent planning. So or not so?

It's more to do with the scheduling than anything. By letting people know well in advance, I'm not sending a manuscript I hope they can squeeze in. Final proofreading and formatting take only a couple days each, but I have two weeks allotted. And my beta readers usually take only three or four days. So, there is some flexibility after I finish.

I don't plot, bake, outline, hatch or research anything. I'm a complete pantser and a natural storyteller. Have been since I was a kid. I simply choose a place in the Caribbean I'm familiar with, put my MC in that setting, and start describing it though his senses. Usually the plot and problem come to him, as I write. Then I just let the story unfold on its own.
Semper Fi,

Online AYClaudy

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2018, 01:44:42 AM »
The attached calendar, showing 5-day writing blocks for three books and weeks off for spring break, Key West Mystery Fest, NINC, and the holidays. White areas are work days, but no writing. Because, why schedule to do something when you know you're going to be distracted? The three launch days are outlined in red.

Theres just something so visually satisfying about your color coded calendar!!
I need one, stat.
Thanks for sharing your process, its really motivating!

Offline Erik Roman

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2018, 11:36:57 AM »
Having just found this thread on the advice of a friend and read through it, I can definitely see the value of setting the schedule in advance in terms of smoothing out the pipeline.

As someone eager to go to market yet still somewhat stymied by the process of putting a book together in credible fashion (the writing output part I don't really have a problem with) I'm certain I'd have work published by now if I had followed a format similar to what you've posted.  Will have to work on implementation.

Thanks kindly for sharing!
ab uno disce omnes

Offline Lisa Manifold

• What a long, strange trip it's been.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2018, 01:15:15 PM »
Last week, I did 26k. I'm shooting for 25k a week, so that I keep up with my plans, and don't have to write on weekends. This week is off to a slow start, but I have time today and tomorrow to get back on track.

Lisa Manifold | blog | facebook | twitter

Offline Ryan W. Mueller

• Missour, United States
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2018, 01:19:11 PM »
My personal goal I've set is 30,000 words per month. If I write at that rate, that's about three and a half books a year (unless they're really long). Usually, I write one book and edit another at the same time, and that's seemed to work pretty well so far.

Last year, I came in a little short of that 30,000-a-month goal. This year, I'm hoping I don't get too swamped with other responsibilities.

Ryan W. Mueller | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Mailing List

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2018, 05:31:59 PM »
This was a busy week. I had appointments with my eye surgeon, my dentist, and my vet. Actually, he's Bill's vet. Bill's my dog. I digress. So, I had to do a little writing today to stay on schedule. Starting Monday, it's 1200 words per day for five days. This will be my goal (6K per week) until the end of March, when Enduring Charity will be finished.

Staying on schedule is so much easier, when you have realistic goals and plan on time off.
Semper Fi,

Online Quinning

• Deep in the Heart of Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2018, 05:38:44 PM »
Thanks for all of this! I have shamelessly copied your editing and planning structures. I am so excited now about 2018 now that I know where I am going!

Offline Sati_LRR

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2018, 04:56:10 AM »
Managed 20k in the last two weeks to finish off a 75k book, so I'm pleased. For the second half of the month, I'm aiming a little higher.