Author Topic: 5,000 words per week club.  (Read 11350 times)  

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: 5,000 words per week club.
« Reply #125 on: March 25, 2018, 06:09:54 PM »
Wayne you are my rock. While I am tangled up in marketing and formatting you are going on your merry way. You help me get back on track. Thanks for your updates.

Although sometimes I feel like a character in a book I read (Not sure which one) who was preparing for a test and spent all of his study time updating charts of what he needed to study and when - in various colors with graphs! And each time he missed a deadline he'd redo the whole thing, once again using up all the study time...

If you schedule very conservatively, the only changes you'll end up making will be to move something up. Note all the unshaded dates on my 2018 calendar. Those are days when I won't be writing but will be working on the business side. All the red dates are also days I won't be writing, nor doing anything else but having fun. Those are holidays and vacations with family. The three dates in April August, and December that are bordered in red are launch days.

By having lots of time off, when life happens and I fall behind, I have lots of unscheduled days to catch up. Compare this 2018 calendar to the one I posted earlier. Because this book came in slightly shorter than planned, it and the next two books moved up.

NINC President-Elect. My Amazon Bestselling, twelve-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  four-volume Charity Styles Series, also Amazon Bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, with many more exciting adventures to come. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, and is also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
Semper Fi,
Wayne Stinnett | Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Amazon Author Page | Motivational Videos | Down Island Press | Ship's Store Swag

Offline AliceS

• Asheville, NC
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #126 on: March 26, 2018, 06:20:52 AM »
I spent some time moving my calendar scribbles onto a spreadsheet and it looks like I have a lot more buffer weeks in there than I thought. So even if I can't catch up this week, I have more than enough time down the road. Seeing your charts got me to take an overview and that took the pressure off. I may have been overly conservative in my extra time, but if I beat my own deadlines, that's great.

Science Fiction, Fantasy and Mystery
Alice Sabo | Blog | Facebook | Website

Offline Donna White Glaser

• The final mystery is oneself. -Oscar Wilde
    • View Profile
    • Donna White Glaser
« Reply #127 on: March 26, 2018, 06:35:01 AM »
What are the yellow days, Wayne?
  Suspense with a Dash of Humor

Online Quinning

• Deep in the Heart of Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 26, 2018, 11:26:28 AM »

I think each color corresponds to a book he's planned. He mentioned he's doing three books this year, so that jives.

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #129 on: March 26, 2018, 04:25:04 PM »

I think each color corresponds to a book he's planned. He mentioned he's doing three books this year, so that jives.

Yeah, the blue is Enduring Charity, which I just finished. Green is Rising Force, which I just started, and yellow is Lost Charity, which I'll start on August 20th. Actually, I start working on the opening scene of the next book the day after writing "The End" but it's four weeks and only about 500 words, while I work with the vendors. Just to get the ball rolling on the "official" start of writing day one.
NINC President-Elect. My Amazon Bestselling, twelve-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  four-volume Charity Styles Series, also Amazon Bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, with many more exciting adventures to come. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, and is also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
Semper Fi,
Wayne Stinnett | Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Amazon Author Page | Motivational Videos | Down Island Press | Ship's Store Swag

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #130 on: March 26, 2018, 04:40:20 PM »
The colors only make sense if you see the whole spreadsheet. But, as a photo, it's too small to read much.
Semper Fi,

Offline Donna White Glaser

• The final mystery is oneself. -Oscar Wilde
    • View Profile
    • Donna White Glaser
« Reply #131 on: March 27, 2018, 07:42:21 AM »
I love the organization you've used.  My problem is I used to spend a lot of time setting up a plan, but then didn't follow through.  That's on me, though.
  Suspense with a Dash of Humor

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #132 on: April 13, 2018, 04:25:29 AM »
Time off is coming to a quick end. We've been in Key West for the week, a 95% relaxing vacation. I did do a live 30-minute interview, on Radio A1A on Wednesday with none other than the official Honorary Mayor of Key West, Sammie "Gonzo" Mays. That was a helluva lot of fun and of course made the trip a write off.

But, this thread is all about productivity and goal setting. Monday, I start to work on my next novel, which will be published on August 20th. Also on Monday, Enduring Charity will be published. It's in formatting and will be on time. I've started the opening scene of Rising Force and will probably add a bit more to it over the weekend from home.

But Monday, it's back to work in my new office. Let's see your goals, y'all!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 01:10:43 PM by Wayne Stinnett »
Semper Fi,

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #133 on: April 28, 2018, 12:43:11 PM »
Moving in and getting the last book published took a lot of wind out of my sails and I quickly fell a week behind on getting started on this new book. But Enduring Charity was launched on schedule, I'm nearly all moved in, and getting down to serious work. Monday, August 27th is my new target date for the eBook release of Rising Force. I'm half a day ahead of schedule.
Semper Fi,

Offline Sapphire

• Omaha NE
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 29, 2018, 04:50:28 AM »
Moving in and getting the last book published took a lot of wind out of my sails and I quickly fell a week behind on getting started on this new book. But Enduring Charity was launched on schedule, I'm nearly all moved in, and getting down to serious work. Monday, August 27th is my new target date for the eBook release of Rising Force. I'm half a day ahead of schedule.

Moving into another house? Or just moving into a different office?

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #135 on: May 03, 2018, 12:20:54 PM »
Moving into another house? Or just moving into a different office?

Moving out of my home office and into the new offices of Down Island Press, overlooking Lady's Island Marina and the ICW.
Semper Fi,

Offline Itsro

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 03, 2018, 06:17:43 PM »
Very nice, Wayne. 8)

Offline Sapphire

• Omaha NE
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 05, 2018, 07:06:25 AM »
Fantastic setting! I do my best writing sitting on the dock at our summer lake home.

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #138 on: May 07, 2018, 02:13:09 PM »
I managed to catch up on all the business needs last week and even completed my writing goal. But I did have to come to the office on Saturday to do it. This week will be my first full week of writing at what I like to call trawler speed, 1200 words per day, double edited. Slow and steady, like a stately old Grand Banks Classic. As the weeks continue toward publishing Rising Force in late August, I hope some of y'all will contribute your own trawler goals.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 02:31:31 PM by Wayne Stinnett »
Semper Fi,

Offline kw3000

• Rocky Mountains
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 08, 2018, 07:44:53 AM »
Wayne, your consistency is impressive and something I admire. Kudos to you.  8)

Ken Ward

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #140 on: May 11, 2018, 01:10:55 PM »
It's Friday! My writing goal has been reached early, and the MS is half a day ahead of schedule. Tomorrow's forecast is 89*, mostly sunny, with a 100% chance of boating.  ;D

Seriously, it took a while to get settled into my office and comfortable working here. But this week, I've been killing it, hitting my daily goal and a bit more every day. Only by having a realistic schedule, is it possible to take the time to re-energize and enjoy the fruits of your hard work. Me? I really enjoy salt spray on my face and the sun on my back. Maybe you like hiking in the forest, kayaking the rapids, or mall-walking. Whatever it is, schedule it. Enjoy it. Then get back to work.

Semper Fi,

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #141 on: June 05, 2018, 11:51:48 AM »
I had to adjust my schedule a little the last few weeks, to allow for surgery on my left eye on the 21st. I rescheduled that week and the following week light, but managed to surpass the goals. I also shortened the planned length by 2000 words to stay on schedule with the publishing date. Right now, I'm nearly finished with this week's goal, and will be quite a ways ahead by the weekend.

Semper Fi,

Offline Paperback Writer

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 05, 2018, 01:35:10 PM »
I hope your eye heals up soon and better than new. Right now I'm imagining you on your boat wearing a pirate patch over your left eye.  Ahrrrrrr :) 8)

Offline Sapphire

• Omaha NE
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 05, 2018, 02:01:09 PM »
I hope your eye heals up soon and better than new. Right now I'm imagining you on your boat wearing a pirate patch over your left eye.  Ahrrrrrr :) 8)
Now I'm picturing pirates with eye patches. Mine are also brandishing swords.
All kidding aside, hoping for a successful recovery for you.

Offline amy_wokz

• "Think loose; write tight."
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 06, 2018, 07:10:12 PM »
I will say a prayer for a full and speedy recovery of your eye.
"Readers prefer the clear and concise delivery of an exciting story more than the flowery and sublime delivery of utter ennui." - Hugh Howey

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #145 on: June 15, 2018, 11:04:44 AM »
Thanks, y'all. The eye surgery was actually last month. I was back to work the next day, but it took a couple more days before I could stare at the screen for long periods of time. Unfortunately, my vision will never get better. I suffer from glaucoma and the surgery is supposed to mitigate any further sight loss. Glaucoma is usually controlled with eye drops, but I had an alergic reaction to them, so surgery was the only answer.

My goal this week was to reach 37K words. I passed that yesterday. So, this morning, I was busy getting the new boat, Rusty Anchor, in the water and tied up at her new slip just below my office. This afternoon, I'll catch up on emails and maybe write a little bit. I have no writing scheduled until a week from Tuesday, as we're going to Key West for the Mystery Fest. It's Father's Day weekend, and we're going to be out on the water a good bit, then leaving Monday for a week in Key West. Happy Father's Day to all you dads out there.

The Rusty Anchor
Semper Fi,

Offline AliceS

• Asheville, NC
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #146 on: June 15, 2018, 11:51:56 AM »
Have a great time Wayne. And thanks for all the updates.

Science Fiction, Fantasy and Mystery
Alice Sabo | Blog | Facebook | Website

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #147 on: June 29, 2018, 01:51:33 PM »
We had a great time in Key Weird, er, West. The Mystery Fest was a lot of fun, and I was able to get together with a couple of other Sea Adventure authors, Steven Becker and John Cunningham, at Smokin' Tuna for a few cold ones. Thom Shepherd was playing. Good times.

Knowing that the week after being gone so long wouldn't be as productive, you may have noticed that I hadn't scheduled a lot of words. I passed the week's goal by 500 words today, and since Jordy comes in to work on Fridays, we're knocking off early and taking the boat out.

Semper Fi,

Offline kw3000

• Rocky Mountains
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 29, 2018, 02:29:12 PM »
This is cool. I love reading this thread. Thanks for sharing your progress, Wayne.  8)

Ken Ward

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #149 on: July 15, 2018, 01:40:16 PM »
We had a very rough week this past week. We had to put one of our dogs down. It was a tough decision, but one we'd been talking about for nearly a year. He was fourteen and his health was failing when he suffered a broken leg last Wednesday. Needless to say, it took the wind out of our sails for a few days.

But, deadlines are deadlines. Other people rely on me to have things done in a timely manner so I don't mess up their schedules. So, I locked myself in the office this weekend, turned BrainFM up loud, and forced myself to catch up.

Three more weeks of writing to go, and I now have a pretty good idea how this story is going to wind up. It's now novel length and the manuscript will be completed in three more weeks.
Semper Fi,