KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: For heaven's sake, people, you're authors.  (Read 12057 times)  

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
Re: For heaven's sake, people, you're authors.
« Reply #150 on: November 05, 2017, 05:46:31 PM »

One of my favorites wasn't in print, but came up during a conversation. Someone said he was going to do something "no bars held."
It took me a second, and I said, "You mean 'no holds barred'?"
"No," he said, "no bars held. Like, going all in."
"Yeah. That's 'no holds barred.'"
"No, it isn't. That doesn't even make any sense."
"Can you explain 'no bars held' for me? Because that one doesn't make any sense to me."
"Well, yeah. Like if you're a prisoner, you know, you're behind bars, and you know how they stand there holding on to the bars?" He mimed someone gripping prison bars at face height. "So, you're limited in what you can do - you can't just do whatever you want, you can only do what they allow you to do. But I'm not holding on to any bars - I'm free to do whatever I want."
Then I explained the concept of wrestling holds and which ones might be barred/banned in a match, but nope - that was clearly ridiculous and wasn't the phrase he wanted to use at all.  ::)

Yeah, I thought the wrestling link would be obvious.  Especially for people in the US, with all the wrestling stuff on TV, and wrestling teams in school, etc.
Jena

Offline SerenityEditing

• View Profile
    • Serenity Editing Services
« Reply #151 on: November 05, 2017, 06:02:35 PM »
Yeah, I thought the wrestling link would be obvious.  Especially for people in the US, with all the wrestling stuff on TV, and wrestling teams in school, etc.

He was a big sports fan, which added to my confusion. This happened pre-internet and I couldn't fact-check it right away, so I worried for a week that maybe I'd had it wrong all those years!
Serenity Editing Services - KBoards Yellow Pages

FREE Sample - Top-Notch Editing and Proofreading Services
serenityeditingservices.com/

Offline Becca Mills

• California
    • View Profile
    • The Active Voice
« Reply #152 on: November 05, 2017, 06:58:47 PM »
Everyone has their pet peeves when it comes to this stuff, and I do put down poorly edited books. But I'm reluctant to make fun of those who make mistakes because everybody has blind spots. For instance, I just this year learned that one stanches blood flow rather than staunches it. How many years have I been blithely using the adjective as a verb while inwardly laughing at mistake-makers who knew enough not to make the mistake I was making? Thirty? Thirty-five? It's embarrassing in a pot/kettle kind of way. So, you know ... if you're reading this thread and feeling bad because you've made some of these mistakes, don't worry. :)

Offline Captain Cranky

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 05, 2017, 07:05:07 PM »

A guy I know says "touch bases" instead of "touch base" and it always makes me picture two people each holding a baseball base (I played softball a bit in high school, so I still see these as things you can pick up and move, rather than spots on the ground) and then just sort of tapping them together like some weird alien greeting.

Hahaha I almost choked on my falafel with that visual!

As previously mentioned by another poster I can't stand 'could care less'. Drives me crazy  :-\

My local McDonald's is being renovated at the moment so they have put some portable toilets in the parking lot. Someone has spray painted a few signs that say toilet's which makes me want to bang my head on my steering wheel every time I drive past.

Offline RN_Wright

• For new releases info: http://eepurl.com/PNaJz
    • View Profile
    • Book Page
« Reply #154 on: November 05, 2017, 07:09:36 PM »
Back in the Seventies some sales recruitment outfit put out ads that, over a three year period, clearly showed the "progression" of who got promoted and how important the English language was to the management:

Year 1: The turtle relies on its shell for protection. The eagle flies high screaming defiance at the elements. We need eagles!

Year 2: The turtel depends on its shell to protect it. The eagle flies high and screams defience at the elemint! We need eagles!

Year 3:  The turtel depends upon it's shell to give it protection. The eagle flies up high and screams defience at the elefants! We need eagles!
 ::)

Online Dan Phalen

• Sierra Gold Country
    • View Profile
    • Daniel Phalen
« Reply #155 on: November 05, 2017, 08:16:49 PM »
"Honey, I shrunk the kids" started an avalanche of wrong tense. It's as if the word "shrank" has shrunk from existence.

Or is it "has shrunken?"

Dan Phalen | Website

Offline A J Sika

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 05, 2017, 11:47:13 PM »
It's 'he sat on his haunches'... not hunches.

The number of times I have seen this mistake  :'(
"If you have a dream don't just sit there. Gather courage to believe you can succeed and leave no stone unturned to make it a reality." - Roopleen

Offline Masha du Toit

• Cape Town, South Africa
    • View Profile
    • Personal Blog
« Reply #157 on: November 05, 2017, 11:53:53 PM »
I see a lot of scare quotes on signs where I live. My favourite was in a shopping center. A big sign that said

Please don't put your "children" in the "shopping trolley" when you are "shopping".

There's just no way I can read that without grinning and wondering what they are really trying to say?

Another old favourite was a sign outside an underwear shop that said "Sale! Great prices! Only 50% off!"  More of a logic mistake than a language mistake, but still :)
         Coming soon:  

Offline Yayoi

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 06, 2017, 12:44:02 AM »
I'm having a hard time using prepositions and punctuation marks. Like, if you write, I'm having a hard time, though. I don't know if there's a comma before 'though' or not. I was actually corrected in some forum and I was embarrassed.

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #159 on: November 06, 2017, 12:46:51 AM »
I shuttered my house before the storm, but it still shuddered when the wind hit it. :D

I've seen so many here that stop me cold when I'm reading. To/too, lose/loose, led/lead, of/have.

What really drives me nuts in my own writing are those things my fingers seem to type even though my mind knows what is correct.

waste/waist, wave/waive, who's/whose, it's/its -- I've learned to do a search on both sides of those before I send an MS to my editor. I'm tired of being laughed at.

Yes, but a book I recently started reading (note started, not finish) had the people saying 'she shuttered' instead of 'she shuddered' when upset by something.

To all those still going on about my mistake with the WRINGER, do keep up. It has been noted, spoken of, confessed to and every other acknowledgement available. Being a grammar Nazi, I shall probably never live it down! :)

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 06, 2017, 12:48:20 AM »
Using "begs the question" instead of "raises the question"
What's wrong with that? I've never heard anyone say 'which raises the question'.

Offline TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 06, 2017, 12:50:32 AM »
Yes, but a book I recently started reading (note started, not finish) had the people saying 'she shuttered' instead of 'she shuddered' when upset by something.

I believe that 'shuttered' is an acceptable expression suggesting the mind closed down when XXX occurred. e.g. "As soon as he said the words that chastised her he saw the shutters come down as her mind closed itself to his criticisms."

Tobias Roote | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 06, 2017, 12:53:47 AM »
What's wrong with that? I've never heard anyone say 'which raises the question'.

Again, this is a common expression. "The case for x, is excellent, but the case for 'y' is as good, if not better. Which raises the question as to whether a compromise could be reached between the two."

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 06, 2017, 01:02:09 AM »
How about prison v. jail? I can't tell you how many times I hear people say "The United States has more people in jail than any other country." Uh, no, they have more people in prison, not jail. Jail = the place where you go if you're serving time (less than one year) for a misdemeanor or you are awaiting trial. Prison = the penitentiary  That's where you go when you've committed a felony and you're serving hard time.
But in England a gaol (the original English spelling) is also a prison. They are more or less interchangeable. What about Jailhouse Rock?

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 06, 2017, 01:06:45 AM »

And I get very annoyed when a book is set in Britain but the characters go to the gas station instead of petrol station, or walk in the sidewalk instead of pavement, walk down the block instead of street etc. It brings me right out of the story.

Don't get me started on that! Elizabeth George making a big deal about two main characters driving illegally because they'd left their driving licences at home. We don't need them here.

Peter James (who is English and should know better) in a book set in a Sussex village, calling his car a sedan. We call them saloons. A sedan is a little horse drawn thingy from the 19th century.

Stephen King having an English character in a short story set in England, tell someone something is four blocks away.

I could go on, but it's too early.

Offline TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 06, 2017, 01:08:51 AM »
For instance, I just this year learned that one stanches blood flow rather than staunches it.

I just learned something new - thank you :D

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 06, 2017, 01:12:29 AM »
On TV, I keep hearing phrases like:

"He is one of the only foreign reporters in Somalia... "

It always jars me, but I'm not sure why.  Is it correct/does it make sense, or not?

Philip
Not really. He is either the only reporter or he is one of the few reporters. He can't be one of the only, unless he's in bits!

Offline TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 06, 2017, 01:18:10 AM »
But in England a gaol (the original English spelling) is also a prison. They are more or less interchangeable. What about Jailhouse Rock?

Yes, and what about all those 'jails' they had in US Westerns. Prisons were for criminals, 'jails' were for drunks, skunks and outlaws. :D

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 06, 2017, 01:19:10 AM »
Everyone has their pet peeves when it comes to this stuff, and I do put down poorly edited books. But I'm reluctant to make fun of those who make mistakes because everybody has blind spots. For instance, I just this year learned that one stanches blood flow rather than staunches it. How many years have I been blithely using the adjective as a verb while inwardly laughing at mistake-makers who knew enough not to make the mistake I was making? Thirty? Thirty-five? It's embarrassing in a pot/kettle kind of way. So, you know ... if you're reading this thread and feeling bad because you've made some of these mistakes, don't worry. :)

staunch2
stɔːn(t)ʃ,stɑːn(t)ʃ/Submit
verb
verb: staunch; 3rd person present: staunches; past tense: staunched; past participle: staunched; gerund or present participle: staunching; verb: stanch; 3rd person present: stanches; past tense: stanched; past participle: stanched; gerund or present participle: stanching
stop or restrict (a flow of blood) from a wound.
"he staunched the blood with whatever came to hand"
synonyms:   stem; More
stop the flow of blood from (a wound).

Taken from Google's online dictionary.

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 06, 2017, 01:19:54 AM »
I just learned something new - thank you :D

staunch2
verb
verb: staunch; 3rd person present: staunches; past tense: staunched; past participle: staunched; gerund or present participle: staunching; verb: stanch; 3rd person present: stanches; past tense: stanched; past participle: stanched; gerund or present participle: stanching

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 06, 2017, 01:26:25 AM »
I'd venture to say it's still technically correct. I've never experienced someone else's intuition; it's always been my own private intuition. </quote>

It is only correct if you take it out of context, which you have. Private tuition is school or lessons that one pays for. Intuition is instinct. We were talking about schooling, not some odd twist on instinct.

Offline Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #171 on: November 06, 2017, 01:27:07 AM »

I also grew up in England but watched a lot of US TV shows (mostly westerns/Westerns) and only knew the spelling as jail. When the English teacher asked me to read a passage from a book I read gaol as goal as it was the first time I'd encountered it. I was quickly corrected by the laughing teacher, and a few classmates tittered  :-[. I still cringe at the memory.

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 06, 2017, 01:28:24 AM »
staunch2
verb

I agree with this too, but my appreciation was due to the fact I'd never seen 'stanch' used, only 'staunch' and so wasn't aware of the difference/similarity.
Grammatically it appears the 'norm' is 'staunch support', whereas 'stanch the flow' and now that I know I can use both more eloquently. :D

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 06, 2017, 01:29:50 AM »
I believe that 'shuttered' is an acceptable expression suggesting the mind closed down when XXX occurred. e.g. "As soon as he said the words that chastised her he saw the shutters come down as her mind closed itself to his criticisms."
But that's not what was said. What was said was 'she shuttered' - tell how you can make that right.

Offline lostinspace

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 06, 2017, 01:32:41 AM »
This thread just goes to show how much writers need editors and proof-readers.  :o

My bugbear is "bare" vs "bear" (pun intended). But I know it. And every time I use one of them, I obsessively check it in the dictionary. Can you be an obsessive-compulsive writer?

lostinspace