Shop Foodie Calendars Now! Shop Dog Calendars Now!
KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: For heaven's sake, people, you're authors.  (Read 12056 times)  

Offline My Dog's Servant

• View Profile
Re: For heaven's sake, people, you're authors.
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2017, 06:31:13 AM »
 :P
A common error, even in newspapers and on TV: John Jones hung himself. No, John Jones hanged himself.

And every time I see it, I remember the very vulgar joke about the plastic surgeon...   :P

Online Colin

• UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 05, 2017, 06:33:44 AM »
:P
And every time I see it, I remember the very vulgar joke about the plastic surgeon...   :P
The one where he stood in front of the fire and melted?

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2017, 06:35:12 AM »
dragged not drug !!

This thread reminds me of an IT Crowd episode - 'pedalstool', 'damp squid' and 'm'love'  :)
I have never, ever during my many years of existence, seen drug instead of dragged.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group

Offline Shalini Boland

• View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #78 on: November 05, 2017, 06:37:06 AM »
I have never, ever during my many years of existence, seen drug instead of dragged.

I've seen it two or three times and had to do a double-take each time.

The one that sticks out is 'the time drug'. I thought they were writing about a time-bending narcotic  :-[
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 06:39:23 AM by Shalini Boland »

Shalini Boland | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | New Releases

Online ImaWriter

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 05, 2017, 06:38:21 AM »
Just thought of another that makes in insane. Bring instead of take, or vice versa.

Offline Puddleduck

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 05, 2017, 06:40:02 AM »
"Now I lay me down to sleep" is correct but ixnay on almost every other instance of "lay" you may see.

There are plenty of times to use "lay". "Now I lay me down" is correct because it's saying the person is laying themself down, not lying down, as if their body is the object which they are laying down. It's an odd sort of image, but that's why that's correct.

But yeah, people have a really hard time with lay/lie and lain/laid/lay.

For a long time, I had trouble with "anyway" vs. "any way". I eventually figured it out, but it's embarrassing how long that problem went on for.

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 05, 2017, 06:44:05 AM »
Now that one really does pee me off, even more so as in an episode of Victoria, she actually said it. As if the Queen of England would make that mistake.

I always refer to my animals in books as though they are the same as humans, because they are to me. It would be 'a dog who' not 'a dog that'.

On that subject, it annoys me when I read a person being referred to as that. The man that did something.

Aaarrrgh.  The "who/that" thing is one of my biggest pet peeves.  I saw a FB post from a major TV show and the text said "Character X is the one that did such-and-such."  I couldn't help myself...  I left a comment that said "Character X is the one WHO did.... I fixed it for you."

*Unrelated, as it's grammar, not spelling/incorrect word usage, but in a tradpubbed book I'm reading from the library--first in an  ongoing series--was this line:  "The Russian fawned over Rowena and I."    :o    >:(    :o    >:(    That one got by the author AND at least a couple of editors.

**even further unrelated, I've seen some people use the term trade-pub as opposed to trad-pub.  I realize there is such a thing as a "trade paperback," but in the common usage on this board I believe that trad-pubbed is preferred, as it refers to traditional publishing, as opposed to indie publishing. **

Now, back to your regularly-scheduled thread.....      8)
Jena

Offline Puddleduck

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 05, 2017, 06:48:47 AM »
"less" when it should be "fewer"

I see that one SO much. I'm pretty sure 98% of the English speaking population doesn't even realize there's a difference or that the word "fewer" exists.

Offline My Dog's Servant

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2017, 06:49:49 AM »
Not to derail the thread (which is fun), but because it points out the value of checking your assumptions...

After my post about "tandem", I looked up "twenty-mule teams" and found this sentence...

"In 1877, six years before twenty-mule teams had been introduced into Death Valley, Scientific American reported that Francis Marion Smith and his brother had shipped their company's borax in a 30-ton load using two large wagons..."

My first thought was, the sentence was badly written, that it should have said "Scientific American reported that, in 1877, Francis Smith and his brother shipped..."

But I decided to check and discovered that Scientific American is, in fact, the oldest continuously published monthly  magazine in the United States, having been founded in 1845. (though it only went monthly in 1921).  So...the writing was correct after all!

Online Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2017, 06:59:33 AM »
"less" when it should be "fewer"

I see that one SO much. I'm pretty sure 98% of the English speaking population doesn't even realize there's a difference or that the word "fewer" exists.

Ditto.
Jena

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2017, 07:00:59 AM »
I have so many more, but I'm not aloud to say them here  :o

Online Paranormal Kitty

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2017, 07:18:23 AM »
One thing I did that I was unaware of is the needed brushed, needed repaired, etc., construction. I had no idea this was incorrect. It sounds fine to me, but should be needs "to be" whatever instead. My brief research told me it's a dialect feature, but I don't have any connection to the region it was attributed to, so who knows.

Online Sailor Stone

• These aren't the droids you're looking for.
    • View Profile
    • Sailorstone.com
« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2017, 07:20:06 AM »
How about, she waited with baited breath? Instead of bated.
Also, expresso instead of espresso, although it is to the point now that expresso is used so much that it is now becoming acceptable.

Sailor Stone | web page | facebook

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 05, 2017, 07:22:45 AM »
One thing I did that I was unaware of is the needed brushed, needed repaired, etc., construction. I had no idea this was incorrect. It sounds fine to me, but should be needs "to be" whatever instead. My brief research told me it's a dialect feature, but I don't have any connection to the region it was attributed to, so who knows.
I've heard people say it, but it's not something I would ever use in narrative. I personally cannot stand it when people say 'my bad' and I hate the phrase 'pick your brains' - gives me a headache. But these are little idiosyncrasies of dialogue not mistakes.

Offline Puddleduck

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 05, 2017, 07:30:59 AM »
I've heard people say it, but it's not something I would ever use in narrative. I personally cannot stand it when people say 'my bad' and I hate the phrase 'pick your brains' - gives me a headache. But these are little idiosyncrasies of dialogue not mistakes.

Haha, I don't really like "pick your brain" either.

A guy I know says "touch bases" instead of "touch base" and it always makes me picture two people each holding a baseball base (I played softball a bit in high school, so I still see these as things you can pick up and move, rather than spots on the ground) and then just sort of tapping them together like some weird alien greeting.

Offline My Dog's Servant

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 05, 2017, 07:31:44 AM »
Just spotted another one:   "rack and ruin"   when it should be    "wrack and ruin"

Sadly, when I put "wrack" in for definition, Google's definition said it was a variant of "rack" or torture. Nope.

And then we wonder why so many get it wrong.

Offline Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #91 on: November 05, 2017, 07:34:09 AM »
Miniscule.  Is that as opposed to a maxiscule?

Putting someone through the "ringer". Really? Would that be your local church bell tower?

A ringer is an old fashioned machine for squeezing the surplus water out of washing. My mum used to use one; it was a big thing with wooden rollers and a handle. In other words, putting someone through the ringer means to squeeze them dry.

But I think it is a wringer. 

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2017, 07:38:45 AM »
Kindergarden for Kindergarten

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline Spin52

• Seattle and Oxfordshire
    • View Profile
    • Amazon author page
« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2017, 07:44:38 AM »
I'm on tender tenterhooks to see how this turns out.
I've always spelled it correctly, but only just learned the origin of the phrase while researching the blanket-making trade for background. In case anyone is interested, this comes from when blanket cloth -- lengths equivalent to about 24 blankets -- were stretched out and dried in the fields, hung from hooks on wooden 'tenter' frames. Hence, 'tenterhooks',  and when it rained, as it often does in Oxfordshire, it was all hands on board to unhook them and bring the cloth inside quickly.
I also HATE the phrase 'from the get go'. What's wrong with 'from the start' or 'from the beginning'?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 07:58:26 AM by Spin52 »

Tradtional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes
Facebook | Amazon author page

Online brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2017, 07:55:58 AM »
It is not shuttered, it is shuddered.

I shuttered my house before the storm, but it still shuddered when the wind hit it. :D

I've seen so many here that stop me cold when I'm reading. To/too, lose/loose, led/lead, of/have.

What really drives me nuts in my own writing are those things my fingers seem to type even though my mind knows what is correct.

waste/waist, wave/waive, who's/whose, it's/its -- I've learned to do a search on both sides of those before I send an MS to my editor. I'm tired of being laughed at.

BR Kingsolver | Author website

Offline Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2017, 07:56:06 AM »
A ringer is an old fashioned machine for squeezing the surplus water out of washing. My mum used to use one; it was a big thing with wooden rollers and a handle. In other words, putting someone through the ringer means to squeeze them dry.

Wringer

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
Declan Conner | blog

Offline Puddleduck

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2017, 07:57:56 AM »
I also HATE the phrase 'from the get go'. What's wrong with 'from the start' or 'from the beginning'?

That's just a colloquialism. If we're going to talk about slang/colloquialisms we don't like, I feel like that would be a different thread. (I'd have some of my own to add to that list.)

Offline Puddleduck

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 05, 2017, 08:02:06 AM »
What really drives me nuts in my own writing are those things my fingers seem to type even though my mind knows what is correct.

Yes, I do that too. It's embarrassing.

I also have a hard time with typing words that I don't use very much but are close to other words I use more. After years of writing Harry Potter fanfic, I pretty much can't write "snap" without writing "snape" and having to backspace. Same with "habit" and "habbit" (because of "hobbit"). And any time I write the name "Chris" it's usually "Christ" first.

Offline Debbie Bennett

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Debbie's website
« Reply #98 on: November 05, 2017, 08:02:42 AM »
Bare with me. I'd love too - wait - let me get naked ...  :P

Psychological thriller/crime & fantasy writer

All ebook formats and paperbacks available.
www.debbiebennett.co.uk

Hamelin's Child currently FREE in most ebook stores
Rat Run coming soon ...

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 05, 2017, 08:04:31 AM »
May I note, for the record, that KBoards is an informal site. So if people make typos or inadvertently misspell words, it is Not Done to draw attention to it and criticize.

Obviously, in a more formal sort of writing -- as I would expect to see in something published by someone who considers themselves a professional and expects people to pay for the thing -- one should absolutely be aware of these easy mistakes and try NOT to make them.

And, yeah, there are a number of phrases/words here that people are objecting to that are accepted slang, or local usage, and perfectly acceptable in most cases.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR