Author Topic: Screen protectors  (Read 475 times)  

Offline __Amy__

• View Profile
Screen protectors
« on: November 05, 2017, 01:39:18 AM »
What is the general consensus on screen protectors?  I had one on my PW, but I finally took it off. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
Re: Screen protectors
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 04:13:25 AM »
Me: I've never seen the need on any of my devices. I've never actually gotten a good explanation as to why they are useful. Mostly, I guess people think they'll protect the screen from scratches, but it seems to me the glass they use nowadays is pretty strong and for me there's little risk. Even against breakage if the thing gets dropped. I might feel differently if I had little kids or animals in my house.

And if to protect against fingerprints/smudges -- I don't believe it would work. And, anyway, on my kindles, that's never been a problem. On my shiny screen devices, I just clean 'em now and again -- which ought to be done anyway 'cause of germs. :)

Is there another reason to use one that I'm missing?

In addition, though I don't know this first hand, I suspect that one more layer would decrease screen clarity/contrast and may also affect touch screen response.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Anastayja

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 05:02:53 AM »
When I purchased my first Oasis I bought a screen protector for it and took it off immediately because it actually caused glare and made it hard to read. [emoji52] Havent purchased another since. In my opinion, they arent needed for e-readers.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 07:03:33 AM »
I keep screen protectors on my phones because of the oils in my fingers.  It's easier to replace a screen protector than a phone screen when I have worn places out on the display.  I've never bothered with my Kindles.  They just don't show fingerprints like phone screens.

Offline __Amy__

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 03:40:14 PM »
Just put on a screen protector on my Oasis and I love it.  I didnt think I would but the fingerprints started to bug me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro