Author Topic: Skins for the new Oasis  (Read 3724 times)  

Offline nikkidog

• Ohio
  • Happy Voyage, Oasis and Oasis2 owner
    • View Profile
Skins for the new Oasis
« on: November 07, 2017, 09:02:11 AM »
It looks like Decal Girl now has skins available for the 2017 Oasis.

Offline kschles

• Laurel, Maryland
    • View Profile
Re: Skins for the new Oasis
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 11:51:52 AM »
Thanks for the info. Im off to shop for skins.
Ken

Offline ShinyTop

• Pensacola
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2017, 11:58:07 AM »
I just ordered the carbon in matte.  Just looking for more grip than anything else.
Its unlucky to be superstitious.

Offline crisandria

• CT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 12:30:13 PM »
Thanks for the info, ordered mine.   Not sure if Ill skin the back or not yet, but need one on the front, the finger prints are already driving me batty.  Lol.
crisandria

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 01:13:19 PM »
OMG I finally figured out where the darn light sensor is on the Oasis, thanks to decalgirl. It has been driving me nuts.

Those 2 cutouts around the buttons are it. And I tried it now, it only works if both are covered up at the same time, so as you are reading, you don't activate it by holding it. Sneaky.

I am eyeballing the quest for my back, not sure if I want anything on the front. I don't want to be distracted by a design. They have a severe lack of nautical things on the site. Quest is like the only decent map they have. Think there are only 2. And almost no ships and such things. I don't like cartoonish looking things or cutesy, more the realistic type. So quest is about it. With the saddle tan cover, I think it might look nice.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline kschles

• Laurel, Maryland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 01:56:39 PM »
I ended up ordering Dark Burlwood (favorite from past) and Milky Way. Hoping for a good application effort the first time, but wanted a backup just in case.
Ken

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 04:14:36 PM »
Yay, that was quicker than I expected!  :) I just received a response from them this morning stating that they'd be be available within a week.

I'll order one asap! I had skinned my old Oasis as soon as I got it & discovered I don't like the new Oasis skinless. I miss the feel of the texture and I can't stand the fingerprints on the black bezel or the feel of the cold back.  I'll probably go with a custom skin unless I spot something a really like. I want something dark and plain for the front and I'll probably go with something busier for the back.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 10:31:08 AM by cagnes »

Christine | Member since 10/13/2009 | Goodreads | Bayou Cover Designs | Bayou Cover Designs on the KBoards Yellow Pages
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.  ― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 06:18:30 PM »
I am eyeballing the quest for my back, not sure if I want anything on the front. I don't want to be distracted by a design. They have a severe lack of nautical things on the site. Quest is like the only decent map they have. Think there are only 2. And almost no ships and such things. I don't like cartoonish looking things or cutesy, more the realistic type. So quest is about it. With the saddle tan cover, I think it might look nice.

If you want more options, you can go with a custom skin. For the design, you can purchase digital scrapbook papers for a few dollars. They're large, high resolution jpg files & no editing is needed, so all you need to do it upload the image to decalgirl.

I spotted a few nautical designs on Etsy that aren't too cutesy...
https://www.etsy.com/listing/219923150/nautical-scrapbook-paper-nautical?ref=shop_home_active_16
https://www.etsy.com/listing/232191407/printable-vintage-map-digital-paper?ref=shop_home_feat_2
https://www.etsy.com/listing/286184021/golden-sea-monster-digital-paper-gold?ref=shop_home_active_91
https://www.etsy.com/listing/507768305/sea-shanty-vintage-nautical-digital?ga_search_query=ocean&ref=shop_items_search_12
https://www.etsy.com/listing/246103877/vintage-mermaid-digital-paper-nautical?ref=search_recently_viewed-3
https://www.etsy.com/listing/528167432/vintage-sea2-sea-ocean-mermaid-digital
https://www.etsy.com/listing/236876320/nautical-maps-digital-papers-12x12-old

Christine | Member since 10/13/2009 | Goodreads | Bayou Cover Designs | Bayou Cover Designs on the KBoards Yellow Pages
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.  ― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 06:46:07 PM »
I think I'm going to stick with the clear, grippy stickers I found. I'm not keen on wrestling the skin onto the curved back, and they actually work just fine. Plus, if I end up getting a cover that attaches magnetically, I'm concerned the skin will affect that. It sounds like the Amazon covers are already not very secure . . . . .

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline kschles

• Laurel, Maryland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 05:35:51 AM »
I think I'm going to stick with the clear, grippy stickers I found. I'm not keen on wrestling the skin onto the curved back, and they actually work just fine. Plus, if I end up getting a cover that attaches magnetically, I'm concerned the skin will affect that. It sounds like the Amazon covers are already not very secure . . . . .

My Amazon cover is not as secure as it should be, but its not too bad. Every once in a while, it comes loose, usually when Im trying to close it. Unlike my Oasis 1, Ive been reading with the cover on. Folded back, it covers the cold metal hump. Hoping that with a skin, I can start taking the Oasis out of the cover to read. Well see.
Ken

Offline kschles

• Laurel, Maryland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 03:05:12 PM »
Sometimes the US Post Office can be, lets say, less than efficient.  Ordered two Decalgirl skins for my new Oasis. I live in Maryland. They shipped from Delaware on Nov 8. Also on the 8th, they arrived at the South Jersey Distribution Center. Tracking info for Nov 9-10 indicated they were on their way to Laurel, MD.  Tracking info then indicated they had arrived in Phoenix, AZ at noon on the 10th. They departed from Phoenix at 1:15 pm. Sigh.
Ken

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 03:32:28 PM »
Got my skin in today! The skin does deminish the magnet strength of the Amazon cover. Without the skin I was able to dangle my Oasis by the cover flap, give it a shake and the Oasis would not disconnect. With the skin, it did fall off when I gave it a shake. Since I never read without a cover, I added a few strips of strong double stick tape to the back of the cover & it seems to work out well, it's now very secure.

For the front I wanted something very dark, almost black. For the back I wanted something that would blend in with the metal back, which is a good thing since I put it on crooked!  ???

Offline crisandria

• CT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 07:00:25 PM »
Got my skin in today! The skin does deminish the magnet strength of the Amazon cover. Without the skin I was able to dangle my Oasis by the cover flap, give it a shake and the Oasis would not disconnect. With the skin, it did fall off when I gave it a shake. Since I never read without a cover, I added a few strips of strong double stick tape to the back of the cover & it seems to work out well, it's now very secure.

For the front I wanted something very dark, almost black. For the back I wanted something that would blend in with the metal back, which is a good thing since I put it on crooked!  ???

Which skin is that for the front?
crisandria

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 07:52:17 PM »
Which skin is that for the front?

It's a custom design I made. You're welcome to it if you'd like.

Offline rlkubi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 08:17:58 PM »
I have a stupid question for those of you who use a screen cover will those work with decal girl skins?  I've never used a screen cover.

Offline Konolly

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 05:17:30 AM »
Cagnes, or anyone with a skinned Oasis 2, does the skin help with the grip on the Kindle at all? I don't like covers, and the only thing making me hesitate over the Oasis is that people have reported it's slippy in the hand. I'm hoping a matte/satin skin would improve that - does it?

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2017, 05:18:36 AM »
I have a stupid question for those of you who use a screen cover will those work with decal girl skins?  I've never used a screen cover.

A screen protector just covers the screen. The decal girl (and other) skins cover everything but the screen. So it shouldn't be a problem as long as you're willing to have the patience to get them both positioned precisely.

That said -- I don't use either one so I could be mistaken.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2017, 05:23:14 AM »
Cagnes, or anyone with a skinned Oasis 2, does the skin help with the grip on the Kindle at all? I don't like covers, and the only thing making me hesitate over the Oasis is that people have reported it's slippy in the hand. I'm hoping a matte/satin skin would improve that - does it?

I got these clear grippy stickers to put on the back and they work great to resolve the slipperiness issue:

This is a better picture because they're black, but I got the clear ones as less obtrusive: 

Basically you can use whichever of the 12 stickers in any combination as you choose. Only thing is they say don't try to put them on the curved part as they won't stay stuck.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2017, 08:47:59 AM »
I put my cover on right away & didn't really test holding it without the cover. I currently have my cover secured to the kindle with double stick tape, so I can't try it out without the cover. Maybe someone else with a skin can chime in.
I think the matte skin helps somewhat, but it's still smooth and not textured. If you'd want a good grip, I'd go Ann's route with the grippy stickers.

I've never used a screen cover on a kindle. I would be leery about using both because I think it would be hard to apply both and align them properly. The screen protector may not fit perfectly inside the skin and you may have one overlapping the other. If you're okay with that, then it's not a problem, but it would probably drive me crazy.  ???

Offline crisandria

• CT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2017, 05:07:26 AM »
It's a custom design I made. You're welcome to it if you'd like.

How can I get it?  I do like it. 
crisandria

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2017, 05:45:48 AM »
How can I get it?  I do like it.
You can download it from google drive..... Oasis front.

Offline crisandria

• CT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2017, 06:48:21 AM »
You can download it from google drive..... Oasis front.

Thank you so much. 
crisandria

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2017, 10:34:08 AM »

Offline Lursa (aka 9MMare)

• Outside Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2017, 11:59:14 PM »
I got these clear grippy stickers to put on the back and they work great to resolve the slipperiness issue:

This is a better picture because they're black, but I got the clear ones as less obtrusive: 

Basically you can use whichever of the 12 stickers in any combination as you choose. Only thing is they say don't try to put them on the curved part as they won't stay stuck.

Those may be just what I need for better grip. Would they stick to a skin if applied to that? Would the skin design show through the clear nicely or not worth it?

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2017, 04:00:12 AM »
Those may be just what I need for better grip. Would they stick to a skin if applied to that? Would the skin design show through the clear nicely or not worth it?

I suspect they would stick . . . they're pretty tight and as long as the skin is a smooth, clean surface they should work. Theoretically, they also can be peeled off if needed. Not sure, though, if they'd damage the skin if you did that. And if they're stuck on for a while and you peel 'em off, I'm not sure how well they'd work to use again.

I think you would see the skin through the clear -- but any pattern would likely be distorted because of the texture of the grippy things. I haven't got a cover/case yet, but I suspect they may affect how one fits. That said, if it's a cover that fits the whole back, you don't need the grip strips so much.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)