Author Topic: Oasis 2 vs. Nook GL 3... (impressions)  (Read 486 times)  

Offline quadtronix

• New York
    • View Profile
Oasis 2 vs. Nook GL 3... (impressions)
« on: November 10, 2017, 04:40:59 AM »
I got the Oasis 2017 on the 31st of October and the Nook Glowlight 3 on the 8th of November (both on their respective release days). Now that I've had time to run them through their paces, I thought I'd share some first impressions of how they compare to one another. If anyone has any questions about either device or your own thoughts on them let me know.

First of all, the new nook's page turns feel painfully slow compared to the new Oasis. It's not a deal breaker but it's a definite advantage of the new Oasis. It makes me really appreciate that aspect on the Oasis...

Secondly, in the nook's favor, it has a night mode with a blue light filter that's almost completely orange by default but can be adjusted and can be set to either auto or manual. I have it set to auto and it gradually gets more and more orange throughout the day. By 5pm it seems completely orange.

Then there's the auto brightness on the new Oasis... which can be calibrated. I'm using that feature and I love it!! I wish it had a blue light filter but the ambient light sensor is a nice addition nonetheless.

The size of the New Oasis: 7" is a plus in it's favor over the Glowlight 3 IMO... more words fit on each page and that's great... less page turns/more reading...

The Glowlight now has page turn buttons which is great but the overall construction of the buttons as well as the rest of the device is inferior to the Oasis. While the new Nook has a matte finish which repells fingerprints and does a good job of it at that, it's still plastic and not waterproof and a step down even from the 2015 Glowight Plus also from Barnes and Noble...

And last but not least, the design of the new Oasis wins hands down IMO... I love that asymmetrical design with the larger frame on one side for the page turn buttons and the thinness of that screen on it's thinnest point.

Overall I think the Oasis 2017 wins it, by a large margin but keep in mind that it's over double the price of the Nook GL 3... I'm not sorry I bought the Nook though. Half my ebook collection of over 200 books is on nook so it's really a necessity and the last nook, the Glowlight Plus was released in 2015 I believe, and getting a little long in the tooth...

Afterthoughts:

Oh let me not forget battery life: both devices are performing admirably.... and screen uniformity does not seem to be an issue on either device, at least not with my units...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline northofdivision

• Chicago
    • View Profile
Re: Oasis 2 vs. Nook GL 3... (impressions)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 11:12:08 PM »
Thanks for the comparison. Fun to read about other readers... The 8" Kobo might be a better competitor to the Oasis 2 for some. Lighting on the most recent generations of Kobos are really clean, the contract of ink to screen is excellent and the fonts and font selections are better than Kindle imo. The build quality of this Oasis 2 though is just phenomenal. And the thing I think that really carries Kindles (especially this latest one) over all others is the underlining and page to page speed. There's no comparison. The 8" Kobo is great in a lot of ways (Pocket integration is fantastic as is one touch book rentals from libraries) but these days, its all about the ecosystem and sadly Kobo and Nooks just don't have that going for them which is a shame because they're both working hard to put out good e-readers.
Stanley
=====
Blackberry KeyOne, Ipad Air2
Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis
Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Aura One 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline quadtronix

• New York
    • View Profile
Re: Oasis 2 vs. Nook GL 3... (impressions)
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 08:19:21 AM »
Yeah, I was very tempted by the Aura One when it first debuted last year and I'm sure it's more premium than the Nook Glowlight 3 from what I've read about it and seen in videos. I was most interested in the Aura One for it's 8" screen and night-mode features as opposed to the waterproofing although waterproofing IS always nice to have just in case... My main reason for not getting the Aura One last year, in addition to it always being out of stock I've heard, is that I already have an extensive nook and Kindle collection and I didn't want to complicate things with yet another account to manage and device to carry around. Now that my Kindle Oasis is 7" and my nook has night-mode, I have even less reason to go for the Aura One. But you're right, those two (the Oasis 2 and Aura One) are probably a more appropriate comparison in terms of being a better match against one another.

Probably my favorite aspect of the new Oasis is it's design and build quality... especially it's design though. I've always liked asymmetrical designs on electronics and with the original Oasis having slim bezels on three sides and the Oasis 2017 having even slightly thinner bezels, I have been very impressed with both! Also the new Oasis's metal design and the fact that they ditched the mandatory cover is a big plus. I was a fan of the battery being in the cover but it was also a pain not being able to use third party covers or use the Oasis without a cover at all for very long without sacrificing the majority of the battery life in the process...

I was also very tempted by the Aura One for another reason too... the Overdrive integration that I think you were referring to when you mentioned "one touch book rentals" from libraries. I have used Overdrive to borrow ebooks for my Kindle through my Amazon account and linked to my library card but it IS a roundabout process to say the least. Also I'm not a fan of how the ebooks I have borrowed stay visible in my Kindle library even though they are irretrievable without borrowing them again from the library. I wish they were listed in their own separate section on the Kindle as opposed to mixed in with all my other "All Items" ebooks cluttering everything up with ebooks I can no longer access. Maybe this is handled differently on Kobo?? That would be good...

As far as ecosystem is concerned, I can't speak for Kobo but I find the Nook ecosystem to be pretty good actually. When I'm looking for a particular book it's usually available on both Amazon and Barnes and Noble's websites. Where I find B&N lacking is in their collection deals, ie. buy 20 books for $2.99 kind of things... LOL... I have many a collection from Amazon that I got for great prices that way and nook just doesn't seem to offer that kind of deal very often. But usually the popular books I'm looking for show up on both websites when I'm checking for the best price and I try to go for whichever site has it for less money.