KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Confessions...  (Read 4490 times)  

Online Paul Mathews

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
    • Paul Mathews' website
Confessions...
« on: November 11, 2017, 10:43:09 AM »
There must be something you want to get off your chest. Perhaps something you do that goes against the self-publishing grain and you've been keeping to yourself for a while? Don't keep it bottled up. Admit it here. Nobody will judge you.

Here goes...

I don't indent ANY paragraphs in my e-books; I just include spaces between paragraphs. (And I haven't had a single complaint.) That's the way I like it (uh-huh, uh-huh).

<DEEP BREATH> Phew! That was good.

Your turn!  :D

I am a Quite Funny Guy
Paul Mathews | My Quite Funny Website | My Quite Funny FB page

Online SevenDays

• PNW
  • Imagine something cool and witty here.
    • View Profile
Re: Confessions...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 10:58:31 AM »
Have you had any returns? Because I return books that do that.

Alex A. King | Website

Online Paul Mathews

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
    • Paul Mathews' website
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 11:13:11 AM »
Have you had any returns? Because I return books that do that.

Yes, I have a small percentage of returns, but that's par for the course. I'm e-book only and the online world doesn't generally use indents. I can see why print books do, because that's a much more established medium, but I don't offer paperbacks. I find non-idented, properly-spaced text much easier on the eye. I also have lots of dialogue and constant indenting can make the exchanges 'hang' a little. As I worked in comms for 20 years, I'm probably still affected by the styles I used back then and became accustomed to. Maybe I'm a bit OCD about it, I don't know..!  ;)

« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 11:34:09 AM by Paul Mathews »

I am a Quite Funny Guy

Offline AugFul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 12:07:16 PM »
I see indents in the Look Inside of your ebooks, and no space between paragraphs.

Online Sam B

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 12:12:57 PM »
In the spirit of the thread: I write all my manuscripts in courier fonts with an extra space between the paragraphs, because it's how I like to write.

But... that gets formatted out.

Sam Burns | The Blog | Twitter

Online Paul Mathews

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
    • Paul Mathews' website
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 12:18:58 PM »
I see indents in the Look Inside of your ebooks, and no space between paragraphs.

Yep. That's Amazon's choice of formatting for 'Look Inside'. Nothing to do with me!

P.S. Can we stop talking about my indents, please, and get on with the confessions?  ;)

I am a Quite Funny Guy

Offline Vale

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 12:43:45 PM »
My scene names are all really, really dorky. Puns, pop culture references, RegExs, in-jokes from 3rd grade: all of it. When I die and someone opens my Scrivener files and sees the list of scene names they're going to wonder what the hell they're looking at. I don't put any of that in the books themselves, but since no one else sees the scene names, that's my personal space and if I want to name the scene "Where in the Weald is Cherine  San Diego?" then I'm going to.

Offline Flay Otters

• New Preston CT
  • Stone the crows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 01:22:45 PM »
I really don't care whether anyone reads my books or not.

Publishing them on Amazon simply means they really exist (and for that I thank Mr. Bezos, heartily).
Having said that, I find it delightful that some people do read them, and actually appear to like them.

Offline Puddleduck

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 02:23:07 PM »
I don't like double-spacing. When I decided to go indie, it took me a while, but I eventually realized with relief that I could now write single-spaced and not have to use proper manuscript format. I'm the one who does the formatting when it comes time to make e-book/print versions, and those are never in proper manuscript format anyway.

Also, I kind of hate Times New Roman. And Courier. And Arial. (All those fonts I had to use all through school. I'm all about Garamond and Calibri now.)

Offline C. Gockel

• Chicago, IL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 03:01:49 PM »
I am doing horrible things to my characters today and I'm feeling really terrible about it. Just built them all up to stab them in the heart.

I write books about Change, Chaos, and Loki
C. Gockel | facebook | tumblr | website

Online Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 03:06:26 PM »
I have a few "Easter eggs" hidden in a couple of my books and have been waiting for readers to notice.  So far, no one has commented on them...maybe they're too subtle? :)

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter

Offline she-la-ti-da

• in the bunker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 03:14:42 PM »
When one is writing the books, it doesn't matter what they look like. Double space, triple space, indent or don't, use Comic Sans 18 pt. Whatever. But the book should be formatted to conform to accepted standards.

Anyway, as to the question, I've confessed my "sins" around here (and other forums) more than once.
Queen of Procrasti Nation

Genres: speculative fiction under main pen name.

Offline C. Rysalis

• The Writer's Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 04:03:05 PM »
I sometimes have to do so much googling that Google sends me a bot test.  :P

Olivia Rising | Author page

Offline Dennis Chekalov

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2017, 01:18:08 AM »
I sometimes have to do so much googling that Google sends me a bot test.  :P

All the time.
Beta Reading & Developmental Editing Services. Free sample edit up to 1000 words.

Offline Evenstar

• South West England
  • YA and PNR
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 01:39:55 AM »
I have the names of my children in every book I've written. Sometimes as a character who gets a single mention, but more often as something else (because their names are a flower and a semi-precious stone).  It's my personal easter egg for me.

Online AmesburyArcher

• U.K.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2017, 02:56:59 AM »
I never write in my chapter numbers till the very end. I once ended up with two thirteens. Whoops. A reader noticed it too, and ripped into me.
Author of books both historical and fantastical-Stonehenge, Arthurian, Richard III, English queens & mistresses, Robin Hood, dystopian Canada (!) and more...
Author of historical fiction & historical fantasy
J.P. Reedman | fb | fb | fb | fb

Offline Michele Brouder

• Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2017, 04:03:06 AM »
I do all my mss in single-spaced as well. Can't stand double-spaced.

I 'appear' in one of my books and plan to make cameos in some future books a la Hitchcock.

Michele Brouder | website | Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter

Online T E Scott Writer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2017, 04:24:15 AM »
I do all my mss in single-spaced as well. Can't stand double-spaced.

I 'appear' in one of my books and plan to make cameos in some future books a la Hitchcock.

I'm totally stealing this and putting myself in books from now on.

I do my own covers, which is generally a no-no but I really enjoy it. The TE Olivant ones I did in gimp and the TE Scott ones were actually done in word!

T E Scott

Online MonkeyScribe

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2017, 04:47:41 AM »
I never write in my chapter numbers till the very end. I once ended up with two thirteens. Whoops. A reader noticed it too, and ripped into me.

I've had misnumbered chapters before, too, but from moving scenes in subsequent drafts and failing to correct. Both times, my editors missed it. I now do a visual check of this very thing after creating the ebook.

Offline MH Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2017, 05:20:15 AM »
I tend to write my series in one entire go, pantsing it the whole way, and try to figure out how to break it up into individual books only after the fact. My first 'book' turned into a set of three, then a set of seven, average length is 200,000 words. I know, right? I'm doing the whole thing like a massive bowel movement, and we'll see if I turn out to be an idiot or a genius when I finally hit *publish!* (Thank goodness it's epic fantasy! I hope I get away with these shenanigans there.)

Offline Bluebonnet

• Atlanta, GA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2017, 05:44:52 AM »
I like Times New Roman and the block format with double spacing between paragraphs. This preference comes from many years of writing business papers and reading business publications, blogs and other text online. So it doesn't bother me at all to read fiction without indents, as long as there is sufficient space between the paragraphs.

I would not turn away a good book because of the font or format the author used. I'm not fussy about fonts unless the font/layout is so fancy it distracts me from the content. For example, I don't like the drop cap format (single huge letter at the beginning of a paragraph or text block). I tend to visually tune out the big letter, and then I sit there for a moment wondering what the word "missing" a letter is supposed to be.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 05:52:57 AM by Bluebonnet »

Offline AlexaKang

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2017, 06:21:38 AM »
I really really hate writing blurbs. I have one now that I know I have to fix, but I really don't want to do it. Feels like having my teeth pulled or worse. It's just plain miserable. I wish there is a good blurb writing service out there that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and I can just let someone else do it.

Online Paul Mathews

• United Kingdom
    • View Profile
    • Paul Mathews' website
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2017, 06:24:56 AM »
These are all great to read - thanks everyone! And as I started all this, it seems only fair that I should add another confession:

I've written entire chapters in my underwear ... and plenty more in my pyjamas!  ;D

I am a Quite Funny Guy

Offline Ashly Kim

• Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
  • overcaffeinated mama bear
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2017, 06:36:48 AM »
I have the names of my children in every book I've written. Sometimes as a character who gets a single mention, but more often as something else (because their names are a flower and a semi-precious stone).  It's my personal easter egg for me.

Why is this the cutest thing ever?
Places Where Volcanoes Sleep: 40%
Ashly Kim | Twittter | Goodreads | Instagram

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2017, 06:38:57 AM »
I do everything myself.

The past is another country; they do things differently there