KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Confessions...  (Read 4311 times)  

Offline Wisescarab

• View Profile
Re: Confessions...
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2017, 07:24:54 AM »
I use that thesaurus site for synonyms more so than any other web-page.

Writer of fiction, teller of fantasy, and lover of nonsense. Because that's life!
S.D.Reeves | Website

Online LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2017, 07:38:30 AM »
I really don't care whether anyone reads my books or not.

Publishing them on Amazon simply means they really exist (and for that I thank Mr. Bezos, heartily).
Having said that, I find it delightful that some people do read them, and actually appear to like them.
^^
I'm with you.

Online Mylius Fox

• Cognitive syntactical wizard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2017, 08:41:37 AM »
I re-enact all the action scenes naked.  ::)

Offline Kessie Carroll

• View Profile
    • K.M. Carroll's Blog
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2017, 08:58:40 AM »
My favorite place to write is in bed on my ipod. I think it comes of being pregnant for so many years, and bed was more comfortable than a chair.
K.M. Carroll | blog | facebook | twitter

Offline Kal241

• Things are never what they seem
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2017, 09:03:58 AM »
All my characters are manifestations of the many different sides of myself. I think that's why they fight so much.

An artist and a writer combined into one being. When you work with Kal, you get a 2-4-1 deal!  

Check out my artistry at: http://kal241.deviantart.com/
Writing samples of mine will be made available upon request.

Online MClayton

• Florida
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2017, 09:05:42 AM »
After feeling pressured for the last year or so, I've come to the realization that I want writing to be a hobby. It's fun, and I enjoy it, and sales are a bonus. But when I start worrying about sales, etc., it's no longer fun. My youngest is leaving for college in the fall and I've got all sorts of things (jobs, interests, hobbies) I'm looking forward to exploring. I don't want to turn writing into a full-time job.

There. I've said it.  :o

That probably doesn't seem like much, but it was to me.  :)

Online cecilia_writer

• Edinburgh
    • View Profile
    • Cecilia Peartree - woman of mystery (blog)
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2017, 09:09:57 AM »
For example, I don't like the drop cap format (single huge letter at the beginning of a paragraph or text block). I tend to visually tune out the big letter, and then I sit there for a moment wondering what the word "missing" a letter is supposed to be.
I once read an ebook with some sort of formatting glitch that added a page throw after each drop cap - that was extremely distracting!
I also do everything myself.
The original cover of the first book in my first mystery series was featured on one of these lousy book cover website, and I still persisted in doing my own covers.

Offline rockondon

• View Profile
    • RaymondCain.com
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2017, 09:19:03 AM »
My first three books are under the bed, unfit for human consumption. They will snap at the fingers of anyone who reaches for them.

Offline Anarchist

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2017, 11:07:35 AM »
I re-enact all the action scenes naked.  ::)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline Red Riley

• New Hampshire
  • Author of the Red Riley Adventure Series
    • View Profile
    • RedRileyBooks.com
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2017, 11:15:11 AM »
I have the names of my children in every book I've written. Sometimes as a character who gets a single mention, but more often as something else (because their names are a flower and a semi-precious stone).  It's my personal easter egg for me.

Speaking of Easter eggs, a character in my second novel, Diamond White, is reading one of Evenstar's books.
Chicago Blue: 100%

Diamond White: 95%

Solid Gold: 10%
Red Riley | Red Riley

Offline Evenstar

• South West England
  • YA and PNR
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2017, 01:12:26 PM »
Speaking of Easter eggs, a character in my second novel, Diamond White, is reading one of Evenstar's books.

No way! You just got bumped to the top of my "favourite members" list 

Offline Paranormal Kitty

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2017, 01:47:49 PM »
I really really hate writing blurbs. I have one now that I know I have to fix, but I really don't want to do it. Feels like having my teeth pulled or worse. It's just plain miserable. I wish there is a good blurb writing service out there that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and I can just let someone else do it.

Me too.

Offline Valerie A.

• Squamish, BC
    • View Profile
    • Goodreads / Valerie Albemarle
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2017, 01:51:14 PM »
I often forget my characters' names if I'm in a zone. I won't waste time or brain cells trying to remember them, so I just type some asterisks and barrel on.

Magical Realism; Psychological Mystery and Suspense
Valerie Albemarle | blog | Goodreads | Kirkus indie

Waking up to find yourself morphed into a beetle is no excuse to be late for work.

Online Rosie A.

• America
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2017, 02:08:36 PM »
@Lorri: I love Easter eggs! I also put them in my work even if it's just me who knows for now lol.

Rosie's confession: I write a lot of my best scenes to 80s and 90s pop music. I listen to a lot of ambient as well (Skyrim Atmospheres being my favorite) but some of my best work is written to Aaliyah and Nu Shooz lol.

Online Scrapper78

• Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2017, 02:25:17 PM »
 I hate Twilight. That's not the confession.

In a fit of rage, I once wrote a Twilight fanfic story for a prominent fanfiction site. The catch was that my main character killed the stupid sparkling b4st4rds in creative and often horrific ways. I took everything people loved about them and and I destroyed it gleefully with a protagonist so nihilistic and indiscriminate that I was sure the fans would turn on me in rabid hate and I would bask in the incandescent joy of universal animosity.

THat's not teh confession either.

The people loved it. They wanted more. They thought my take was "interesting."

Here's the confession.

Drunk on positive feedback and the validation of an engaged readership, I...
*deep breath*
...I got that damn thing to 60,000 words before I abandoned it in disgust with myself.
*Sobbing*
My entire journey into authorship started with a g0dd4mn3d Twilight fan fic. My shame is overwhelming.

Facebook
Andrew Vaillencourt |

Offline Rachel W

• Borders, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • Rachel Wright Books
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2017, 02:56:53 PM »
I get my best plot ideas when I'm in the shower.

Offline Valerie A.

• Squamish, BC
    • View Profile
    • Goodreads / Valerie Albemarle
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2017, 03:01:11 PM »
After feeling pressured for the last year or so, I've come to the realization that I want writing to be a hobby. It's fun, and I enjoy it, and sales are a bonus. But when I start worrying about sales, etc., it's no longer fun. My youngest is leaving for college in the fall and I've got all sorts of things (jobs, interests, hobbies) I'm looking forward to exploring. I don't want to turn writing into a full-time job.

There. I've said it.  :o

That probably doesn't seem like much, but it was to me.  :)
I'm with you, and I often feel guilty admitting this because so many people do rely on writing as their primary source of income.

Magical Realism; Psychological Mystery and Suspense
Valerie Albemarle | blog | Goodreads | Kirkus indie

Waking up to find yourself morphed into a beetle is no excuse to be late for work.

Offline Pacman

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • Leo Nix
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2017, 03:28:04 PM »
This is embarrassing, I once uploaded the wrong manuscript.

post-apocalypse anyone?
Leo Nix | web

Online C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2017, 03:40:27 PM »
I get my best plot ideas when I'm in the shower.
OMG, me too!  :o

I hate Twilight. That's not the confession.

In a fit of rage, I once wrote a Twilight fanfic story for a prominent fanfiction site. The catch was that my main character killed the stupid sparkling b4st4rds in creative and often horrific ways. I took everything people loved about them and and I destroyed it gleefully with a protagonist so nihilistic and indiscriminate that I was sure the fans would turn on me in rabid hate and I would bask in the incandescent joy of universal animosity.

THat's not teh confession either.

The people loved it. They wanted more. They thought my take was "interesting."

Here's the confession.

Drunk on positive feedback and the validation of an engaged readership, I...
*deep breath*
...I got that damn thing to 60,000 words before I abandoned it in disgust with myself.
*Sobbing*
My entire journey into authorship started with a g0dd4mn3d Twilight fan fic. My shame is overwhelming.
Wouldn't this be more like anti-Twilight fan fic, in which case there is no shame?  ;D

Ok my dirty secrets - I didn't hire an editor for any of my books and my Raven cover is DIY with a cropped stock photo.

Online Scrapper78

• Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2017, 04:11:48 PM »
Still felt dirty.

Facebook
Andrew Vaillencourt |

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2017, 04:28:35 PM »
My confession:

I don't have a mailing list.  Don't want one.  I'm lazy, and I don't want the pressure of "having" to communicate with anyone with any particular regularity.  Also, there are Reasons why a mailing list won't be as effective for me as other people's are.
Jena

Offline Linn

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2017, 06:28:07 PM »
In my haste to see if readers would enjoy my first book, I sent out about thirty print copies that weren't as polished as they should have been-(errors and typos and rookie mistakes). Since then I've been quietly buying them back when I see them just to get them off the market. The worst part is, it seems one of them ended up in the hands of John Clute. Sure wish I would have known that was going to happen, since you only get one chance to make a good first impression.

Offline RightHoJeeves

• Perth
    • View Profile
    • Lawson Copywriting
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2017, 07:16:27 PM »
I still mostly read paperbacks, and therefore traditionally published books...  :'( :'(

I've never actually read a dud indie - they've all been great. But I just prefer reading print books, and therefore just kind of end up reading trad books. The Kindle did get a workout on my recent holiday though.

James Lawson

Offline PermaStudent

• Be so good they can't ignore you. --Steve Martin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2017, 07:44:17 PM »
This is embarrassing, I once uploaded the wrong manuscript.

I can beat you on the embarrassment scale.  I once had an ARC reader point out a misspelled word... on the cover.

My shame still causes nightmares to this day.
  I write urban fantasy.  There are girls in gowns and glowy hands on my covers.

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2017, 08:20:00 PM »
I still mostly read paperbacks, and therefore traditionally published books...  :'( :'(

I can top that.  I only read trad-published books.  I don't even own a Kindle or any other ereader.
Jena