Shop Foodie Calendars Now! Shop Dog Calendars Now!
KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Confessions...  (Read 4471 times)  

Offline Valerie A.

• Squamish, BC
    • View Profile
    • Goodreads / Valerie Albemarle
Re: Confessions...
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2017, 08:59:08 PM »
I don't even own a Kindle or any other ereader.
I don't either. I have the Kindle processor/enabler/whatever on my Mac.

Magical Realism; Psychological Mystery and Suspense
Valerie Albemarle | blog | Goodreads | Kirkus indie

Waking up to find yourself morphed into a beetle is no excuse to be late for work.

Offline LilyBLily

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2017, 09:14:45 PM »
I can top that.  I only read trad-published books.  I don't even own a Kindle or any other ereader.

I can top that. I don't read books anymore.

Yet I write them.

Offline Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2017, 11:56:17 PM »
I prefer to read my own books than anyone else's.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2017, 11:59:16 PM »
I can top that.  I only read trad-published books.  I don't even own a Kindle or any other ereader.
A lot of trad published books are now being published on kindle as well. I prefer to read on a kindle and even my favourite book, that I tried to start for the umpteenth time last week, couldn't compete. I think the eye sight isn't what it was!

Offline Evenstar

• South West England
  • YA and PNR
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2017, 02:59:18 AM »

I almost never "read" any more. I am an audio book freak. How mindblowingly amazing is it then I can empty the dishwasher or put clean sheets on all the beds at the same time as indulging in my reading habit?

But if I want a book and it isn't on audio then I simply buy the kindle edition and switch on the text to speech option. It sounds as stilted as a ladder, but I still race through the books I love that way.

Offline RightHoJeeves

• Perth
    • View Profile
    • Lawson Copywriting
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2017, 05:05:28 PM »
I can't even read at all!

James Lawson

Online Paranormal Kitty

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2017, 05:21:25 PM »

This cracked me up because I read it in Homer Simpson's voice.

Offline Vale

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2017, 05:57:57 PM »

That reminds of a TV series I caught awhile back. When I turned on the television and Garth Marenghi's Dark Place was on and it began with "I am one of the few authors who can honestly say that I have written more books than I've read" I knew I was going to sit through at least one episode. How could I not?

Offline Flay Otters

• New Preston CT
  • Stone the crows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2017, 06:09:28 PM »

Yet I write them.

Same here.

Offline LovingLife139

• Cincinnati, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Rosie Scott's Book Blog
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2017, 06:21:00 PM »

Yet I write them.

I'll add my name to this hat. I've started and finished about 10 books this past year. One was a manga (so not time consuming in the slightest), the others were all written by me.

On another note, I get all of my best ideas right before I go to bed. It's why I can't fall asleep worth a darn and am usually still awake past six in the morning. The worst part is, the same scenes keep me up night after night until I finally write them. In the case of the series I just finished in January, the epilogue of the last book kept me up every night for five years, because I "wrote" it in my head while the first book was still being written in 2012. It drives me crazy...but at least it also drives me to write.

Dystopian, science fiction, and fantasy
Rosie Scott | Blog | GoodReads

Offline Victoria LK

• Vero Beach, FL
  • a good book has no true ending, just possibilities
    • View Profile
    • Victoria LK Williams
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2017, 07:30:02 PM »
In my Citrus Beach Series, I have each ending involve something that you'll find down here in Florida (ie. the bungling thief steps in a large mound of fire ants, giving the heroine the chance to run)

Offline RightHoJeeves

• Perth
    • View Profile
    • Lawson Copywriting
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2017, 07:32:36 PM »
That reminds of a TV series I caught awhile back. When I turned on the television and Garth Marenghi's Dark Place was on and it began with "I am one of the few authors who can honestly say that I have written more books than I've read" I knew I was going to sit through at least one episode. How could I not?

Crikey that's a good show.

James Lawson

Offline Vale

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2017, 07:35:10 PM »
In my Citrus Beach Series, I have each ending involve something that you'll find down here in Florida (ie. the bungling thief steps in a large mound of fire ants, giving the heroine the chance to run)

When I was a very small child I fell into a mound of sand that turned out to be a 3-foot-high fire ant hill. Not my worst Florida moment, but certainly one of the more memorable. In true Florida story fashion I ran to the nearby lake to wash them off. The next day a 7-foot-alligator was pulled out of that lake by Animal Search and Rescue.

Florida always struck me as the sort of place where you hear about someone drinking heavily in Miami and getting eaten by a bull shark in a fresh water lake and the reason it's surprising is because an alligator, crocodile, alligator snapping turtle, snakehead fish, or one of the five types of venomous snakes didn't get him first.

Offline spellscribe

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2017, 11:01:30 PM »
Im desperately lazy and I dont even care.

Fantasy and LitRPG author
Amy R. Hopkins | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Online jdcore

• Toronto, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • The Lupa Schwartz Mysteries Blog
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2017, 11:47:24 PM »
I write everything in Word. I began writing longhand decades ago and then typing manuscripts with carbon. When I got my first PC and found Word and learned it, I stopped progressing, and I never looked back ... or forward. Don't want to learn Scrivner, don't care.

Offline Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 14, 2017, 12:08:26 AM »
Im desperately lazy and I dont even care.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with being lazy. I think it is those people who go about looking for sins that think it is. I am lazy; laziness was added to my make up when I was in the womb instead of energy; the good lord got mixed up, as Mother was really too old to be having a fifth child. I expect He had used up his energy quota on the previous pregnancies. :)

I like your new covers.

Offline Going Incognito

• It's always the quiet ones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 14, 2017, 07:19:05 AM »
This cracked me up because I read it in Homer Simpson's voice.

Same.  :D

Offline IreneP

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • IrenePreston.com
« Reply #67 on: November 14, 2017, 07:26:56 AM »
After feeling pressured for the last year or so, I've come to the realization that I want writing to be a hobby. It's fun, and I enjoy it, and sales are a bonus. But when I start worrying about sales, etc., it's no longer fun. My youngest is leaving for college in the fall and I've got all sorts of things (jobs, interests, hobbies) I'm looking forward to exploring. I don't want to turn writing into a full-time job.

There. I've said it.  :o

That probably doesn't seem like much, but it was to me.  :)

OMG - this is PERFECTLY valid. My husband and I have run several small businesses, most of which stemmed from areas of enjoyment. Once something becomes a business... well, it's a JOB isn't it? We've loved doing it, but it does go from a source of relaxation to a source of stress.

Online EB

• used to care
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 14, 2017, 07:41:43 AM »
I am the civilian co-chair for the Law Enforcement Torch Run for SONJ. I shamelessly solicit donations for Special Olympics from everyone I know because I love seeing the smiles on the faces of the athletes and their families at the games every year; I use my author platform to do it because if I'm gonna use it for something, it's gonna be my favorite cause.

Consider yourselves solicited!! (yeah, and donate a few bucks HERE while yer at it!)

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RaV0khyWCU" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RaV0khyWCU</a>

Online MClayton

• Florida
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #69 on: November 14, 2017, 08:09:11 AM »
OMG - this is PERFECTLY valid. My husband and I have run several small businesses, most of which stemmed from areas of enjoyment. Once something becomes a business... well, it's a JOB isn't it? We've loved doing it, but it does go from a source of relaxation to a source of stress.

Exactly. And with both kids in college next fall, I have other areas of interest (both career and hobby) I want to explore.  :)

Online Cheyanne

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 14, 2017, 08:16:26 AM »
I feel like people are dumb for spending thousands or even hundreds of dollars to jump on the self publishing bandwagon when they will never make that money back. It makes me sad, makes me want to scream, and mostly makes me think that the people getting rich off self publishing are those selling "Services" like cover design, editing, etc.

Offline Athena Grayson

• View Profile
    • Athena Grayson
« Reply #71 on: November 14, 2017, 11:07:37 AM »
I still reflexively double-space after a period when I'm on a roll.
I'm an introvert that looks like an extrovert.
I will someday subvert ALL the tropes. I will tip every sacred cow.
I write a lot of run-on sentences and I'm not sorry at all.

Space Opera...With Girl Cooties!
Athena Grayson | site | newsletter | facebook

Offline JackT

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 14, 2017, 12:01:31 PM »
I act out all the fight scenes. It's the only way I can keep track of all the arms and legs.

Online wilsonharp

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 14, 2017, 12:18:47 PM »
I feel like people are dumb for spending thousands or even hundreds of dollars to jump on the self publishing bandwagon when they will never make that money back. It makes me sad, makes me want to scream, and mostly makes me think that the people getting rich off self publishing are those selling "Services" like cover design, editing, etc.

During gold rushes, more people become wealthy selling picks and shovels, running hotels and taverns, or providing transportation and security than even become wealthy digging up gold. Most people who go for the gold rush are looking for easy money and never want to put in the hard hours learning how and where to search. The same for the gold rush that is self-publishing.

Online Lorri Moulton

• Author of Romances, Mysteries, and Fairytales
    • View Profile
    • Lavender Lass Books
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2017, 12:24:45 PM »
I write everything in Word. I began writing longhand decades ago and then typing manuscripts with carbon. When I got my first PC and found Word and learned it, I stopped progressing, and I never looked back ... or forward. Don't want to learn Scrivner, don't care.

Me, too.  I thought I was pretty cool using Word until I found the forums. LOL :)

Author of Romances, Mysteries, Fairytales and Historical Non-Fiction.
Lorri Moulton | Website | Amazon | Facebook | Twitter

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac