KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Confessions...  (Read 4448 times)  

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
Re: Confessions...
« Reply #75 on: November 14, 2017, 05:07:05 PM »
Me, too.  I thought I was pretty cool using Word until I found the forums. LOL :)

I don't think there's anything wrong with using Word.  If someone wants to consider that a confession, then consider me confessed.
Jena

Offline MClayton

• Florida
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #76 on: November 14, 2017, 05:45:10 PM »
I don't think there's anything wrong with using Word.  If someone wants to consider that a confession, then consider me confessed.

Me, too. I love Word, have used it for years, and will continue using it.

Offline ParkerAvrile

• View Profile
    • Parker Avrile's Steamy Gay ROmance
« Reply #77 on: November 14, 2017, 05:58:06 PM »
I can top all yall. I use Open Office.
Visit my website for free reads & giveaways for lovers of steamy m/m romance https://parkeravrile.wordpress.com/blog/

Offline Scrapper78

• Connecticut
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 14, 2017, 06:29:12 PM »

BURN THE WITCH!

Facebook
Andrew Vaillencourt |

Offline Kal241

• Things are never what they seem
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 14, 2017, 07:32:50 PM »
I'm a Word user as well. Not sure why there's such a negative opinion of it here. Yes, it has flaws, but no system is perfect.

An artist and a writer combined into one being. When you work with Kal, you get a 2-4-1 deal!  

Check out my artistry at: http://kal241.deviantart.com/
Writing samples of mine will be made available upon request.

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #80 on: November 14, 2017, 07:49:53 PM »
I worked as a software tester on Office (specifically Access). So of course I use Word. :) And Excel. Even better, they have VB programming so I can do program-y things when the mood strikes.  ;D

Offline JulianneQJohnson

• Indianapolis
    • View Profile
    • Julianne Q Johnson- pictures and words
« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2017, 07:50:44 PM »
I use Word.  I have also (gasp) used Open Office.  I got Scrivener for half price and I looked at it, but honestly, I like Word.

There's all kinds of tools folks use to write and all sorts of programs.   Honestly, I always felt like it would be a lot simpler if folks just sat down and wrote instead of fussing with all of that.  But I admit I am probably an old curmudgeon.

Offline Anna Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 14, 2017, 07:55:16 PM »
I hate grammar, punctuation and literary snobbery. I tell great stories!

oh that does feel good!

Offline Valerie A.

• Squamish, BC
    • View Profile
    • Goodreads / Valerie Albemarle
« Reply #83 on: November 14, 2017, 11:05:20 PM »
an
Open Office? Luxury! I use Alphasmart. Uphill both ways, through six feet of snow.

Magical Realism; Psychological Mystery and Suspense
Valerie Albemarle | blog | Goodreads | Kirkus indie

Waking up to find yourself morphed into a beetle is no excuse to be late for work.

Online Doglover

• Huntingdon, United Kingdom
  • If you want real love, buy a dog.
    • View Profile
    • Margaret Brazear Author
« Reply #84 on: November 15, 2017, 12:07:20 AM »
I'm a Word user as well. Not sure why there's such a negative opinion of it here. Yes, it has flaws, but no system is perfect.
I think it has a lot to do with people who set themselves up as experts when they know no more about the program than the average typist. One of these 'experts' who actually has a big page about Word on his blog, declared on one forum that the problem with it was that you couldn't see where the page breaks were. Some expert.

I've had to come here for advice, which has been generously given by most, but even so it is a lot easier than Scrivener and I can never see why anyone wants to fiddle about with the wretched thing. Nothing in it I can't do with Word.

The past is another country; they do things differently there
Margaret Brazear | Website | Blog | Facebook | Readers Group

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 15, 2017, 04:52:00 AM »
I think it has a lot to do with people who set themselves up as experts when they know no more about the program than the average typist. One of these 'experts' who actually has a big page about Word on his blog, declared on one forum that the problem with it was that you couldn't see where the page breaks were. Some expert.

I've had to come here for advice, which has been generously given by most, but even so it is a lot easier than Scrivener and I can never see why anyone wants to fiddle about with the wretched thing. Nothing in it I can't do with Word.

Totally agree.

And ironically, as I view your post this morning, it's the last one on the page, and right below your post is an ad for--you guessed it-- Scrivener.   8)
Jena

Offline Victoria LK

• Vero Beach, FL
  • a good book has no true ending, just possibilities
    • View Profile
    • Victoria LK Williams
« Reply #86 on: November 15, 2017, 06:00:03 PM »
I hate grammar, punctuation and literary snobbery. I tell great stories!

oh that does feel good!

AMEN!!! Of course in a true confession, I blame all my mistakes on my cats-they are constantly walking across the key board, so why not?!?

Offline Hestia

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 15, 2017, 06:27:16 PM »
I have the same confessions that others have already posted about:

I write in my pajamas
I do everything myself
I got into writing through fanfiction

Something I haven't seen mentioned is beta readers. I have absolutely no desire to have them. My book, my vision. If people don't like it, then they are not my readers, and that's okay.

Offline gmaz135

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 15, 2017, 06:37:00 PM »
I use Word
I use adverbs judiciously :-)
I use speech tags other than "said."
I read my reviews.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 06:39:16 PM by gmaz135 »
Tin Man: 7%
george mazzeo | Chasing Dragons

Offline MClayton

• Florida
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #89 on: November 15, 2017, 06:42:23 PM »
I use Word
I use adverbs judiciously :-)
I use speech tags other than "said."
I read my reviews.

Me, too - to the first three. Plus, I love "m" dashes. And ellipses. And sentence fragments beginning with a conjunction.  ;D

Offline gmaz135

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 15, 2017, 07:41:20 PM »
Me, too - to the first three. Plus, I love "m" dashes. And ellipses. And sentence fragments beginning with a conjunction.  ;D

Oh, yes! I forgot about ellipses....love me some ellipses!!!
You should consider #4...your reviews are great!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 07:45:13 PM by gmaz135 »
Tin Man: 7%
george mazzeo | Chasing Dragons

Offline Lynna

• Human.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 15, 2017, 09:09:48 PM »
I love !s and I use them. A lot.

Online spellscribe

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 15, 2017, 10:07:39 PM »

I like your new covers.

Thanks! I changed them ages ago but never updated the sig. The new series only came out last month and its sooo fun to see them all lined up like that.

Fantasy and LitRPG author
Amy R. Hopkins | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Elliott Kay

• Seattle, WA, USA
    • View Profile
    • Elliottkay.com
« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2017, 10:40:44 PM »
My fantasy books are super smutty. When I put out the first, I was working as a substitute teacher and my mom was always concerned about how I'd pay the bills each summer. That meant I had to tell her about the first book. Naturally, she got super excited and wanted to read it... so I went through the book on another edit to scrub the explicit smut scenes down to a less-explicit degree and reloaded my book to Amazon so she could pick it up. She didn't get around to purchasing it for about a week, so at least several dozen readers got the Mom-approved version of Good Intentions before I put back the full smut version.

And I don't feel a shred of guilt about it at all.

...my girlfriend's parents read the full version, though. So that wasn't weird at all.

Oh, and the climactic battle scene of my second sci-fi novel is secretly one big homage to the Flash Gordon movie.

Also, I use Word, I write in 1.5 space, I get at least 30% into my first draft before I even consider outlining, I pants most of the time, and I don't read nearly as much as a writer is supposed to.

Always read the warning labels!
Elliott Kay | My blog

Online Rosie A.

• America
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 16, 2017, 12:02:19 AM »
I toil away in obscurity and I kind of prefer it this way. I don't really do much to get my books seen or get reviews. Stupid, I know, but all I want to do is write.

Online Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2017, 12:02:49 AM »
I'll go one better than that. I don't know what an m dash is and I have no idea what an ellipse is. So I might use them, I might not. No way of telling really. Another confession is that I seriously dislike authors who follow a set of rules as though they were the ten commandments and I have a real prejudice against those who use every opportunity to tell everyone how much money they are making.

Offline Jena H

• North Carolina
  • Desperate character
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2017, 06:00:42 AM »
I'll go one better than that. I don't know what an m dash is and I have no idea what an ellipse is. So I might use them, I might not. No way of telling really. Another confession is that I seriously dislike authors who follow a set of rules as though they were the ten commandments and I have a real prejudice against those who use every opportunity to tell everyone how much money they are making.

I use both, because I find they do serve a purpose.

Yeah, me too.  >:(   And to be honest, I don't think such comments impress anyone, either.

Also, a further confession.  After years *cough*decades*cough* of typing one way, I still put in two spaces after the end of a sentence.  I doubt readers even notice.
Jena

Offline Abalone

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 16, 2017, 06:15:08 AM »
I like deep tissue massages.

Online Doglover

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 16, 2017, 06:18:50 AM »

Also, a further confession.  After years *cough*decades*cough* of typing one way, I still put in two spaces after the end of a sentence.  I doubt readers even notice.
My English teacher, some fifty odd years ago, always taught us to use two spaces at the end of a sentence. It wasn't until I started publishing that I found some people don't, and I don't do it any more, but my early books still have them. No, readers don't notice.

Offline JackT

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 16, 2017, 07:01:05 AM »
I always used to put a space before a question mark or an exclamation mark. Someone pointed out to me that this was wrong and I stopped doing it, but since then I have come across quite a few examples of it in really old books.