KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Am I stuck with Mailchimp forever? Please help, my mailing-list savvy friends!  (Read 672 times)  

Offline CloudStrife

• View Profile
This isn't a Mailchimp-bashing post.

It's more of a ... I think my interests are better served by Mailerlite-post.

So I'd like to go to Mailerlite, I initiated an account and everything was going well, then I asked their customer support how I could transfer my automations over.

Long story short, they tell me there is no simple way to do this.

I try to keep things simple, so I'm not really interested in setting up new subscribers on Mailerlite while keeping my old ones on Mailchimp or other funky "solutions".

I want all of my subscribers migrated from Mailchimp to Mailerlite. And I don't want anyones automations / workflows to get interrupted from where they are in the series. I'm willing to put in several days or even a week's work if necessary, but I need something that if I apply those steps, it will work.

Anyone had this issue and figured something out?

Am I stuck with Mailchimp forever?

Offline Alan Petersen

• San Francisco, CA
  • I write high octane thrillers.
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Action Thrillers from Alan Petersen

Offline Chris Parker

• Know the power of the darkside
    • View Profile
    • authorchrisparker.wixsite.com
No. You're not stuck with Mailchimp forever. Mailchimp is rather simple for me and very basic. With that said, I believe you can just enter your readers manually into your new mailing list. Just inform your them beforehand so no one gets mad.
Author Chris Parker

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• I build websites, and blog about ebooks
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Reader

So I'd like to go to Mailerlite, I initiated an account and everything was going well, then I asked their customer support how I could transfer my automations over.

I try to keep things simple, so I'm not really interested in setting up new subscribers on Mailerlite while keeping my old ones on Mailchimp or other funky "solutions".

I want all of my subscribers migrated from Mailchimp to Mailerlite. And I don't want anyones automations / workflows to get interrupted from where they are in the series. I'm willing to put in several days or even a week's work if necessary, but I need something that if I apply those steps, it will work.

I'm confused.

Why can't you simply export your lists from MailChimp (they'll give you a CSV file) and then import the lists into Mailerite?
- Nate, publisher of The Digital Reader blog - www.the-digital-reader.com

Ask me how to speed up your site, the best bookshelf plugins, how to get your site ranked in Google, and why your site keeps crashing. If I don't know I will find out.

I offer free site critiques (tech, content, and design) and I will happily tell you what your tech guy needs to do.

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
I'm confused.

Why can't you simply export your lists from MailChimp (they'll give you a CSV file) and then import the lists into Mailerite?

Most list providers intensely dislike people joining up and immediately importing a list.

However. Mailerlite's chat function is highly responsive. Simply set up the account and make sure your signup processes are working. Swap over your signup forms on your website etc.

Then jump onto the chat and tell them that you're about to import your old list from another provider. Ask them the best practice to do this so that you don't get flagged.

Offline CloudStrife

• View Profile
For those of you who were confused about the problem, I'm not just talking about moving subscribers. That part is pretty easy.

I'm talking about moving my automations over. I'm not sure if automations are called different things in different places, but to me an automation is a series of emails that are automatically sent. So, they will send for me even if I am asleep. Mine tend to send about every 2 weeks. If someone in my list was sent the 4th automation message out of 10 that I have, I want them to then receive the 5th if I go to mailerlite. But I guess the way automations work, they would have to start all over from the beginning, which I think will get me a lot of unsubscribes.

I want to keep using my same automations on Mailerlite, but there doesn't appear to be a way to do this, according to Mailerlite themselves.

Alan Peterson, your link did provide helpful information. On that page, in reference to automations, it says:

"Setting up your automation

When switching to Mailerlite, you should also set up your automation again. There is no way to transfer this. Luckily, this is very easy. Please have a look at this article to get started!"

[Bolding is mine]

When I go to that article on how to get started, it simply shows how to set up a basic automation - it doesn't say anything about transferring an automation.

If there truly are no solutions as Mailerlite says, I may actually bite the bullet and start EVERYONE on my list from the beginning of the automations on mailerlite. I would just send an advance apology and ask for understanding in the matter. I know I'll lose subscribers, but Mailchimp is just charging me too much. They were great for free up to 2,000 subscribers, but the price gets high soon after...

Offline RBC

• View Profile
    • RockingBookCovers.com
You can't migrate automations, that's not possible anywhere. You have to make new one on ML. Here is how to do them in Mailerlite:

https://help.mailerlite.com/article/show/29187-how-to-set-up-an-automation-workflow

What you have to do is set up automation on ML first, then integrate ML forms into your website. Migrating old subcribers would have to wait because you can't transfer them to their exact spot.

While new subscribers will be using ML automations, your old ones will finish theirs in MC and you can then migrate them all to ML. You can even keep those two lists separate. That's the only solution probably. Your MC bill will not grow because new subscribers aren't added and you can delete it once old ones finish automation.

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
Nope. You need to rewrite the whole thing. Mailerlite handles a subscriber VERY differently from Mailchimp.

It's one of the reasons I advocate to keep your sequences fairly short, so that if something effs up (which will happen, inevitably, regardless of the cause) you can quickly rebuild them.

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
Do you know where everyone is in their automation sequence in the original list? If so, then maybe you could try importing them to separate groups or give them a custom field with that sequence number and use that to govern which messages they get from there.

Offline Elizabeth Ann West

• Schenectady, NY
  • Our doubts are traitors...
    • View Profile
Make your automation sequence. Move your Mailchimp list over segment by segment based on where they are in the automation. That way you are moving people over in a smart way. You should only have to remake the emails, and move over how many segments you are moving over.

That's probably the best way to do it in an organized fashion.

Jane-of-all-trades, mistress to none!
Elizabeth Ann West | Read My Stories Free!

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
I would do this:

1. Set up new automations on Mailerlite. Start them up, swap over the signup links so that no new people will go to Mailchimp anymore.

2. Make a group on Mailerlite called "old list" or something. Copy all people who have completed all automations from Mailchimp into it. Delete them from mailchimp once you've done this. Make sure that all Mailchimp automations feed into this one list. Copy whatever addresses end up in it across periodically.

3. Eventually, all your addresses will be on Mailerlite.

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
I would do this:

1. Set up new automations on Mailerlite. Start them up, swap over the signup links so that no new people will go to Mailchimp anymore.

2. Make a group on Mailerlite called "old list" or something. Copy all people who have completed all automations from Mailchimp into it. Delete them from mailchimp once you've done this. Make sure that all Mailchimp automations feed into this one list. Copy whatever addresses end up in it across periodically.

3. Eventually, all your addresses will be on Mailerlite.
This sounds like the safest and easiest approach to the issue.

Offline Carol (was Dara)

• View Profile
It seems to me the simplest solution is to switch all your signup links, etc, over to Mailerlite so that, going forward, all new subscribers go straight to Mailerlite and begin a new sequence you set up there. Meanwhile, wait until your current subscribers on Mailchimp finish your existing automated sequence on Chimp, since they're already partway through. When they finish, move them over to Mailerlite. This could take a few weeks, depending on how long your Chimp sequence lasts. If you're in a hurry, you might speed up the sequence a little so the emails send closer together, getting the subscribers through it faster. You'll probably continue getting a trickle of subscribers through Chimp for a long time, because they're following old links (if you've put them in back-of-books and they have an old copy). You could import them over every week or so to Mailerlite.

Edited: Oops. Patty beat me to it.

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
In addition, if you have any elaborate secondary automations that are not absolutely vital, I'd simply cut them and cover them by sending out a few emails manually to these people, so that you can get going on the move across.

Offline CloudStrife

• View Profile
Thanks Patty and Carol. I think the way you both stated will probably be the easiest path for me to go in, while accomplishing what I want to do.

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• I build websites, and blog about ebooks
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Reader
For those of you who were confused about the problem, I'm not just talking about moving subscribers. That part is pretty easy.

I'm talking about moving my automations over. I'm not sure if automations are called different things in different places, but to me an automation is a series of emails that are automatically sent. So, they will send for me even if I am asleep. Mine tend to send about every 2 weeks. If someone in my list was sent the 4th automation message out of 10 that I have, I want them to then receive the 5th if I go to mailerlite. But I guess the way automations work, they would have to start all over from the beginning, which I think will get me a lot of unsubscribes.

I want to keep using my same automations on Mailerlite, but there doesn't appear to be a way to do this, according to Mailerlite themselves.
How does one set up this kind of automation in MailChimp?
- Nate, publisher of The Digital Reader blog - www.the-digital-reader.com

Ask me how to speed up your site, the best bookshelf plugins, how to get your site ranked in Google, and why your site keeps crashing. If I don't know I will find out.

I offer free site critiques (tech, content, and design) and I will happily tell you what your tech guy needs to do.

Offline thevoiceofone

• View Profile

Its simple

Export your email list.

Import it into mailerlite

Offline CloudStrife

• View Profile
Thevoice, I'm talking about automations. I'm surprised at how many people here don't even seem to know what they are. I'm in nonfiction so maybe they're a lot more commonly used there than in fiction.

Offline Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
Thevoice, I'm talking about automations. I'm surprised at how many people here don't even seem to know what they are. I'm in nonfiction so maybe they're a lot more commonly used there than in fiction.

I write fiction. I have over 100 automation sequences in Mailerlite. Most of them don't actually send any emails out, they just move people around when they click links. This is an awesome thing you can do with Mailerlite and not with Mailchimp (email-less automations) unless something changed since I left mailchimp.

Offline Awasin

• View Profile
I love Convertkit, but I still use Mailchimp for new projects.  When you know you're serious then you can switch.  Here's an affiliate link that explains it: http://mbsy.co/fRggh

Offline Anarchist

• View Profile
I love Convertkit, but I still use Mailchimp for new projects.  When you know you're serious then you can switch.  Here's an affiliate link that explains it: http://mbsy.co/fRggh

lol at your affiliate link.

To all, here's the direct link: https://convertkit.com/5-reasons-switch-mailchimp-convertkit/
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu