Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.

Author Topic: Whispersync question?  (Read 271 times)  

Offline cko1xxxx

• View Profile
Whispersync question?
« on: November 12, 2017, 08:25:00 AM »
I have two Kindle Oasises (or Oases), they contain the same books and have whispersync enabled on both.  The Amazon devices screen recognizes both units.  The book I'm now reading was sideloaded from the library using Calibre onto both Oases but they don't seem to want to sync themselves.  If I read on one Oasis I have to update the other Oasis manually to keep track of where I am even though I push wispersync each time I read .  Does wispersync only work with Amazon purchased books or what?

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Re: Whispersync question?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2017, 08:30:17 AM »
I *think* it will only work with books that are on one's Amazon library--though I don't sideload books so someone else will give you a definitive answer.  That being said, the books don't have to be purchased from Amazon, but you do need to have them be part of your online Amazon library.  You can do this with sideloaded books using Send to Kindle from your computer.

Hopefully my co-mod Ann or someone else who sideloads will be able to tell you more.

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline drafter69

• Western New York
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 10:04:56 AM »
When I send a book to my Kindle via "send to kindle" there doesn't seem to be any problem with sync

Offline cko1xxxx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 12:54:32 PM »
I don't mean to keep asking stupid questions but the Oasis was my first e-reader.  I have used it to read books from the library because it is a lot less expensive than the Amazon edition.  Anyway, how do I send a book to my Amazon library from my PC?  Can I do it when I use Calibre?  If I have a copy of the .AZW3 file on my PC how do I get it onto Amazon so that I can access it from both my Oases?  I can side load it to both devices easily using Calibre but I'm not very conversant with what is on Amazon to support the Oases devices.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 06:24:51 PM »
I *think* it will only work with books that are on one's Amazon library--though I don't sideload books so someone else will give you a definitive answer.  That being said, the books don't have to be purchased from Amazon, but you do need to have them be part of your online Amazon library.  You can do this with sideloaded books using Send to Kindle from your computer.

Hopefully my co-mod Ann or someone else who sideloads will be able to tell you more.

Betsy

This is all true. As long as the book/document is in your Amazon library, it will sync. Sideloading to a device with a direct, wired connection means that Amazon's servers have no knowledge of the file. So it can't sync. Using Send to Kindle lets you load a non-Amazon but compatible file onto your device(s) wirelessly and they're archived at Amazon. So they're available to any device ever on your account and they will sync. Note that you can set it so that it is NOT archived in your account; if you do that, I'm not certain they'll sync.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 06:32:25 PM »
I don't mean to keep asking stupid questions but the Oasis was my first e-reader.  I have used it to read books from the library because it is a lot less expensive than the Amazon edition.  Anyway, how do I send a book to my Amazon library from my PC?  Can I do it when I use Calibre?  If I have a copy of the .AZW3 file on my PC how do I get it onto Amazon so that I can access it from both my Oases?  I can side load it to both devices easily using Calibre but I'm not very conversant with what is on Amazon to support the Oases devices.

I borrow books from my library for Kindle regularly. Your library has to use overdrive. When a book is available you just click 'borrow'. You'll get an option to read it on your computer, download an ePub version, or get a kindle version. If you select 'kindle', it' sends you to a page at Amazon where you can download the book as a kindle file. There's also a link to let you send it to another device as well.

An Amazon file that you have on your PC has been downloaded to be readable via the app on your PC. It won't work on any other kindle you have. You need to send the file to your kindle from Amazon.

I don't use Calibre, but if you go to this page on Amazon you can download the "Send to Kindle" app for your PC and use it to send files to your kindle wirelessly.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR