Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.
KB Featured
Flight of the Tarantula Hawk
by Michael Allan Scott

$0.99
Kindle Edition published 2014-02-10
Bestseller ranking: 4698

Product Description
On the IndieReader Best Book list and featured on NBC's Daytime Show, the second book in the Lance Underphal Mystery series is part of a new breed of supernatural thrillers which can be read and enjoyed in any order. Dark, different, featuring a damaged psychic, this is one of those disturbing novels that keeps you guessing.

Download the sample or use the "Look inside" feature for a FREE E-book offer.

Supernatural Murder Mystery - Realtor Carla Simon has her first showing in nearly eighteen months. Recovering from a nervous breakdown, she arrives at the bank-owned foreclosure well ahead of her prospect. When her buyer pins her against the wall, it turns out to be the last house she'll ever show.

Looking for a new breed of supernatural thrillers? Paranormal mysteries of murder and suspense? Perhaps a psychic detective series which can be read and enjoyed in any order? Or maybe one of t...

Author Topic: New Oasis a power hog?  (Read 2609 times)  

Offline dcom

• Suwanee, GA
    • View Profile
Re: New Oasis a power hog?
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2017, 08:40:46 AM »
So far, mine has been MUCH better. After resetting and turning off Bluetooth, the battery has been so much better. I recharged it last week and still have 80% left after reading at least 30 minutes/day with the light at about 10-11 and WiFi on.

It appears to be living up to the claims.

Offline mistyd107

• Alvarado Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2017, 06:45:54 AM »
I can say mine settled at nice battery life after 4 full charges. And I did do the restart and letting it charge all night on the last one. I don't think 20% down in 3 hours with wifi on and light on 16 is too bad, but I think it will get a tad better for you over the next couple of charges.
Yeah, I have always had to ignore the stated so called weeks. When one reads a lot, and I can get into 3 hour sessions easy, it just won't last very long. It does charge up quite fast though, faster than the other kindles. I have so many cables now all over the place, I could probably have one at the read at every outlet.  :P
in

When you say 4 full charges. Do you completely drain it or just let it get very low??
Totals Read in 2014: Books-9  Pgs-3,156  Loc-44,841

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2017, 08:10:37 AM »
in

When you say 4 full charges. Do you completely drain it or just let it get very low??
I didn't let it drain. I try not to do that. 20-30% is when I charge. But I don't think it hurts it to go until one gets the message. It just hasn't worked out that way. If its already night, I rather plug it in so I have it full the next morning. I ran a cord on my nightstand for that.  ;D

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline DD

• K1,K2,KK,Touch,FireHD,PW2, Voyage,Oasis1,Oasis2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2017, 09:52:53 AM »
Im noticing much shorter battery life on the KO2. Im not concerned with this at home because I keep my charger plugged in at my bedside table and can plug it in every night if I need to. Where it becomes a big inconvenience is when Im traveling. With my Voyage and my KO1, I could go on a 2 week trip and not have to pack a charger. The KO2 would never make it. Im seriously considering returning it because of this inconvenience alone. At this price point, this shouldnt be happening.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning the devil says, "OH DAMN, SHE'S UP!". ~Member #484

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline ShinyTop

• Pensacola
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2017, 10:05:15 AM »
I understand what you are saying and I do not disagree with it.  However most of us are already packing a charger for our phone.  So the most you would need would be another cord if your phone is USB-C  instead of the USB-B needed for the Oasis.
Its unlucky to be superstitious.

Offline DD

• K1,K2,KK,Touch,FireHD,PW2, Voyage,Oasis1,Oasis2
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2017, 10:22:58 AM »
I understand what you are saying and I do not disagree with it.  However most of us are already packing a charger for our phone.  So the most you would need would be another cord if your phone is USB-C  instead of the USB-B needed for the Oasis.

Youre right, just another cord but its just one more thing to remember when Im packing. The point is the latest and greatest at this price shouldnt have the worst battery life of previous models.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning the devil says, "OH DAMN, SHE'S UP!". ~Member #484

Offline Jane917

• Ridgefield, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2017, 10:47:36 PM »
All this battery talk reminds me to ask the best process for getting my books on my new Oasis2when it arrives in a few weeks. It,has been a couple of years since a new Kindle arrived at my house. Dont they just magically show up?
Words with Friends: Jane917

Offline mistyd107

• Alvarado Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2017, 07:03:36 AM »
Quick question for those that have done the hard reset followed by leaving it plugged in to a wall charger for an extended period. Do you leave it for an extended period every time you charge?? Just trying to figure out if I should consider another wall charger. The one I typically use has a feature that it shuts off once the device is fully charged. Borrowed one to do the hard reset last night

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2017, 07:18:48 AM »
I don't always do the long plug in. Just depends if its nighttime and its getting low, then I plug it in. But if I run out in the morning, I plug it in and its full by the time I am done with my ablutions. I always wanted to use that word in conversation, I read it a lot in historical type books.  ;D

I have been reading with the light turned completely off in daytime. I moved to a chair close to the window and since its been very sunny, I don't need the light.  During the day that is. Later I do of course. It also helps with the battery. But I have stopped to obsess over it. I am going to turn off the percentage again. Its too tempting to constantly check how many per hour I go down. I know this one does not last as long as my old Oasis of Voyage and I am ok with that. But it does last longer than it did at the start so there is that.

I use a variety of cables, some from my kindles, some from tablets and phones. I don't pay attention anymore. I just plug them in and go.

Offline mistyd107

• Alvarado Tx
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2017, 08:22:17 AM »
I don't always do the long plug in. Just depends if its nighttime and its getting low, then I plug it in. But if I run out in the morning, I plug it in and its full by the time I am done with my ablutions. I always wanted to use that word in conversation, I read it a lot in historical type books.  ;D

I have been reading with the light turned completely off in daytime. I moved to a chair close to the window and since its been very sunny, I don't need the light.  During the day that is. Later I do of course. It also helps with the battery. But I have stopped to obsess over it. I am going to turn off the percentage again. Its too tempting to constantly check how many per hour I go down. I know this one does not last as long as my old Oasis of Voyage and I am ok with that. But it does last longer than it did at the start so there is that.

I use a variety of cables, some from my kindles, some from tablets and phones. I don't pay attention anymore. I just plug them in and go.

Thanks. I was just curious. Ive charged my oasis times since initial set up/ indexing so I just wanted to try the reboot extended charge and see what happens. At moment Im getting about 2-3 Days between charges. WiFi on. Light at 11-13. Its not as good as voyage or pw but is better than the two oasis 1s I had so Im good I think. Last couple of charges the battery has been somewhere in the 30% range. So I hope I havent done anything to make it worse.

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2017, 08:33:48 AM »
Without any hard data to back it up - it feels like my O2 runs down faster than any of my other devices.  But it also seems to charge more quickly.  I can be down around a quarter of the battery and plug it in while I'm reading for about 30 minutes and it registers a full charge again.

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2017, 12:21:12 PM »
Thanks. I was just curious. Ive charged my oasis times since initial set up/ indexing so I just wanted to try the reboot extended charge and see what happens. At moment Im getting about 2-3 Days between charges. WiFi on. Light at 11-13. Its not as good as voyage or pw but is better than the two oasis 1s I had so Im good I think. Last couple of charges the battery has been somewhere in the 30% range. So I hope I havent done anything to make it worse.
I get mostly 2 days out of it. If I don't read as much, 3. Or more like 2.5 days. I have wifi off and read at light below 10. 8 at night. I am doing the turn light off during bright day in a bright spot, but I haven't timed that. I try to charge in the 25-30% range. I don't like going much farther down on my devices, but it doesn't always work out that way. I run my phone down all the time. But that one has a replacable battery, so if i ever need it.

Without any hard data to back it up - it feels like my O2 runs down faster than any of my other devices.  But it also seems to charge more quickly.  I can be down around a quarter of the battery and plug it in while I'm reading for about 30 minutes and it registers a full charge again.

It really is that fast charging, isn't it. Does that imply a smaller battery?

Oh well, I am done fiddling. I have read so much since I got the O2 and that is what really matters to me at this point.