KB Featured
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: 5.9.2 on my Paperwhite 7th Generation  (Read 1717 times)  

Online hamerfan

• Totoville
    • View Profile
5.9.2 on my Paperwhite 7th Generation
« on: November 13, 2017, 02:44:08 AM »
Just got this firmware update over the air. I haven't seen any changes yet. Here is what the web page says:

"This update includes general performance improvements."

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti, Formula One driver-

Offline Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Re: 5.9.2 on my Paperwhite 7th Generation
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 06:54:51 AM »
That is the one the new Oasis2 is running on. As far as I can tell, only the O2 and the PW3 are on that one, the rest is on 5.8.11.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline Deskisamess

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 09:26:41 AM »
Just got this firmware update over the air. I haven't seen any changes yet. Here is what the web page says:

"This update includes general performance improvements."

It will give you the option to increase the font sizes on the Home Screen, and other improved font controls.

Offline kindlecollector

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 04:55:07 PM »
It will give you the option to increase the font sizes on the Home Screen, and other improved font controls.

The PW3 and Oasis 2 versions are not the same though they share a firmware version number.  Under Settings the PW3 version does NOT have the Accessibility section where the Display Size option resides on the new Oasis 2.  Too bad as I would love to see it implemented on all the Kindle models possible.  I like the battery charge percentage display that shows with the Large display size option on the Oasis 2.

Offline gdae23

• NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 09:00:39 PM »
I got this update on my Paperwhite this morning. It showed this under "What's New":

Storage Management: Under Advanced Options in Settings, Storage Management offers two new ways to free up space on your Kindle. You can remove content by content type, such as Books, Periodicals, Docs, or by groups of files that haven't been opened recently. Items downloaded from the cloud will still be accessible by tapping All on your library. Personal content that was transferred manually to your Kindle will be removed.

By the way, Advanced Options is in the Device Options section of Settings. I did make use of this to clean up some items manually. I was happy to see you could check off multiple items and then hit the remove button to get rid of them all at once.

Offline northofdivision

• Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 10:33:05 PM »
For those of you who want to use customized screensavers via mobileread hack, know that the 5.9.2 update (PW or Oasis) is a jailbreak killer. if you upgrade to that, you have no way to do customized screensavers. for the handful of people who want that option, keep that in mind and jailbreak first before updating to 5.9.2
Stanley
=====
Blackberry KeyOne, Ipad Air2
Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis
Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Aura One 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline angelo7

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 06:02:04 PM »
Thanks for this info.

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 09:37:46 PM »
Still waiting for this to show up for my Voyage and 8th gen Kindle (the latter is supposed to get Audible feature).

Offline Andra

• Austin, TX
  • madhouse escapee #671
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 09:52:29 AM »
Still waiting for this to show up for my Voyage and 8th gen Kindle (the latter is supposed to get Audible feature).

Remember that updates will only install over wifi nowadays.  So if your Kindles have the cellular option and you don't connect to wifi, you won't get the update.  I did notice on my Mom's most recent Paperwhite that she got a message about an update being available even though she hadn't been on wifi.  But I don't know if the Voyage does that.

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 02:38:46 PM »
Remember that updates will only install over wifi nowadays.  So if your Kindles have the cellular option and you don't connect to wifi, you won't get the update.  I did notice on my Mom's most recent Paperwhite that she got a message about an update being available even though she hadn't been on wifi.  But I don't know if the Voyage does that.

All my wifi capable Kindles did that, and since I didn't have wifi, I couldn't do a thing about it when the notice popped up. I'd go to the library where I could use their wifi, and of course the thing wouldn't try to update when I was there half the time. I've never been able to use the Update option. It's always grayed out. I had a service guy once claim a Voyage could update via 3G, but it wouldn't, so he was probably wrong, although the reason I called was the 3G modem wasn't working as often as it was not working in the first place, a condition he didn't want to admit was anything but "software settings." So maybe a Kindle with properly functioning 3G can update with an Amazon rep doing something on their end.

Offline tsemple

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 03:32:18 PM »

By show up I mean on the Kindle Update download pages. I almost never wait for it to download when Amazon feels like pushing it to my device. I dont turn off WiFi.