KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Kindle Worlds Stories Now in KU  (Read 820 times)  

Offline T. M. Bilderback

• Friday the 13th comes on a Tuesday this month.
    • View Profile
Kindle Worlds Stories Now in KU
« on: November 13, 2017, 09:39:46 AM »
What a revoltin' development this is...here's the letter:

"Hello,

We are excited to announce that as of today (11/13/2017), Kindle Worlds stories have become part of Kindle Unlimited (KU)!

KU is a subscription service that allows Amazon customers to freely read as much as they want from over 1 million Kindle books, and listen as much as they want to thousands of Audible audiobooks, all for only $9.99 a month. Now, customers can read and enjoy your Kindle Worlds stories as part of their KU subscription.

We believe that KWs enrollment in KU will extend your readership, introducing your work to a potentially broader audience. Every time a unique customer reads more than 10% of your Kindle Worlds story through KU, you will earn 70% of your Kindle Worlds contractual royalty rate on the Average Sale Price (ASP) for your story that month. Royalties earned from KU reads will begin appearing on your November Kindle Worlds royalty statement, and they will be broken out separately from paid sales.

Frequently Asked Questions

1.      What is Kindle Unlimited?
Kindle Unlimited (KU) is a subscription service that gives customers access to over 1 million titles in the Kindle Store, including books, audiobooks, and magazines, for just $9.99 a month. Customers can keep up to 10 titles on any Amazon device or Kindle reading app, and there are no due dates. Amazon Publishing is excited that Kindle Worlds stories are now included in the content available for customers to enjoy through KU.

To learn more about Kindle Unlimited, or to sign up for a subscription, visit https://www.amazon.com/kindleunlimited.

2.      What is the benefit of KU?
KU provides an opportunity to build a larger fan base and increase the scope of your readership. We believe that enrolling Kindle Worlds into KU has the potential to introduce you to a whole new audience and raise your visibility in our bookstore.

3.      Where will KW stories be available to read through KU?
US customers with a KU subscription will be able to read KW stories through the program.

4.      As an author, what will I be paid?
Each time a unique Kindle Unlimited customer in the US reads more than 10% of your Kindle Worlds story, well pay you 70% of your contractual royalty rate per unit for the Average Sale Price (ASP) of your book during that month. Your contractual royalty rate may be either 20% or 35% of ASP, depending on the length of your story. Please see the KW fan author agreement for more information on your contractual royalty rate.

5.      Why does the customer have to read more than 10% of the book for me to be paid my royalty?
Many Kindle books have a free sample of 10%, available to all customers. Just as with a purchasing customer, we do not pay author royalties for customers who only read the sample.

6.      Why am I earning 70% of my contractual royalty on each KU download?
Over the years, Kindle Worlds has received countless requests to make our stories available in KU. In order to accommodate this request for authors and fans, we developed a new royalty model that made sense for the short-form content that we publish. We believe there are tremendous benefits to this change, and the exposure in KU will allow you to become introduced to a new population of readers.

7.      My book hasnt been released yet. Will it be enrolled in KU when it publishes?
Yes. All Kindle Worlds stories will be included in KU upon their release. Your Kindle Worlds story will become available to KU customers within 2 business days of its digital release date.

8.      Can I promote Kindle Unlimited to my fans?
Yes! Please tell your fans about KU by sharing the website: https://www.amazon.com/kindleunlimited.

9.      Some of my KW books arent appearing in KU yet. Why?
It may take up for 48 hours for Kindle Worlds stories to show the KU badging on their detail pages.

10.     When will KW become available outside the US?
Kindle Worlds is a US-only program. If that changes, well be sure to let you know!

Please let us know if you have any other questions!

Thank you,
The Kindle Worlds Team"

T. M. Bilderback | Newsletter | Facebook

Offline Steve Voelker

• Philly
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle Worlds Stories Now in KU
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 11:18:02 AM »
I'm surprised it took this long. KW seemed like a perfect fit for KU from the start. I guess it just took a while to get the contracts straightened out with something that was acceptable to all of the KW owners.

For anyone with a KW title, I don't see how this could possibly hurt. Might even get some much-needed eyeballs over on KW again!

Offline loraininflorida

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 11:48:36 AM »
Is there an opt out or do you have to have your Kindleworld story in KU?

Lorain O'Neil

Offline AssanaBanana

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 11:51:34 AM »
I'm kind of excited to see how this works out, to be honest. I'm almost 100% wide aside from my Kindle Worlds books. The way I figure, if it's got to be exclusive to Amazon anyway, I'd like a piece of the KU pie, too, and this allows me to stay wide with most of my books and still have some eggs in the KU basket.

I think the way it's set up will discourage the typical scamming that happens with the regular KU books. There's a more stringent review process for Kindle Worlds, at any rate, and the pricing is controlled by them, not the author.

Also, this:
Each time a unique Kindle Unlimited customer in the US reads more than 10% of your Kindle Worlds story, we'll pay you 70% of your contractual royalty rate per unit for the Average Sale Price (ASP) of your book during that month. Your contractual royalty rate may be either 20% or 35% of ASP, depending on the length of your story. Please see the KW fan author agreement for more information on your contractual royalty rate.

The fact that it's not paid based on pagereads but a model similar to KU 1.0 is actually pretty attractive. I know what I'll get paid per borrow. I miss that about KU.

Online EB

• used to care
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 11:52:42 AM »
I'm fine with it. Our KW books have to be exclusive anyway, so why not make them available to KU?
Of course, 70% of the 35% royalty on a $1.99 book is only about $0.49, but heck, if it draws in a few new readers, can't hurt.

I'm actually glad to see them do something with Kindle Worlds. They seemed gung-ho in the beginning, but I'm sad to see the KW Blog hasn't been updated in 7 months. It was a fun experience though, and if it looks like being in KU stimulates things for KW, I'd definitely write more for them.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 12:23:34 PM by EB »

Offline AssanaBanana

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 11:53:10 AM »
Is there an opt out or do you have to have your Kindleworld story in KU?

Sounds to me like you're automatically opted in when you publish your book through KW, the same as KDP Select/KU. And because technically you have licensed your book to Amazon once you publish through Kindle Worlds there is likely no way around it.

Online MaryMcDonald

• View Profile
    • M.P. McDonald
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 12:16:08 PM »
So they are paying with "exposure"? >:( >:(

The Mark Taylor Series-Intense thrillers | CJ Sheridan Thrillers
M.P. McDonald | M.P. McDonald | Facebook | Amazon Author Page

Offline loraininflorida

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 12:21:12 PM »
"4.      As an author, what will I be paid?
Each time a unique Kindle Unlimited customer in the US reads more than 10% of your Kindle Worlds story, we�ll pay you 70% of your contractual royalty rate per unit for the Average Sale Price (ASP) of your book during that month. Your contractual royalty rate may be either 20% or 35% of ASP, depending on the length of your story. Please see the KW fan author agreement for more information on your contractual royalty rate."

I have no idea what this means, but heh, it's not being paid based upon KU supposedly telling you how many page reads you've had, so congrats to the Kindlewords authors!

Lorain O'Neil

Offline Pandorra

• View Profile
    • Legends of Elera
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 01:00:06 PM »
"4.      As an author, what will I be paid?
Each time a unique Kindle Unlimited customer in the US reads more than 10% of your Kindle Worlds story, we�ll pay you 70% of your contractual royalty rate per unit for the Average Sale Price (ASP) of your book during that month. Your contractual royalty rate may be either 20% or 35% of ASP, depending on the length of your story. Please see the KW fan author agreement for more information on your contractual royalty rate."

I have no idea what this means, but heh, it's not being paid based upon KU supposedly telling you how many page reads you've had, so congrats to the Kindlewords authors!

I believe it means they will pay you a percentage of their suggested rate, not the one you publish with your book... but I would prefer it if someone else can verify or deny that.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 01:01:54 PM by Pandorra »
Fate's Fallen: 100%

Legends of Elera - Covenant: 45%

Evolution's Child: 100%
Dean Rencraft | Website

Online EB

• used to care
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 01:09:09 PM »

I believe it means they will pay you a percentage of their suggested rate, not the one you publish with your book... but I would prefer it if someone else can verify or deny that.

I understand that to mean we will get 70% of our current royalty rate once the reader reads 10% of the book. Current royalty rates vary according to individual contracts and/or length of the book. My books are on a 35/35/30 royalty split (author/world author/amazon), so for a KU borrow that went past 10%, I will receive 70% of my current 35% royalty.

Amazon usually sets the sales price, and they do/can change it throughout the month, hence the ASP (average sales price); however, I do have a title that I negotiated a different list price for, and I will be curious to see how that ends up.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 01:11:28 PM by EB »

Offline loraininflorida

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 01:48:00 PM »
So how much is a Kindleworlds author probably going to make on one full-read KU borrow? I know nobody can be exact, but can anybody just give a general $ ballpark idea?

Lorain O'Neil

Offline elizagayle

• Seattle, Washington
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 03:23:41 PM »
The world owner and the book author make the same amount. Since the average price of a KU book is 1.99 because they tend to be short, both parties will make about .49 per 10% read versus a regular sale at .70.

I am not certain about all world owners, but myself and the ones I have spoken to had this "just happen" with no further contract negotiation. While I am so happy that we are not being paid on the page read system (which would have been far less money) and I am optimistic that this will bring us all a larger volume of royalties, it did kinda surprise me that they could just change our royalty rate without making us sign something in writing. 

« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 03:36:22 PM by elizagayle »

Offline Steve Voelker

• Philly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 10:49:00 AM »
The world owner and the book author make the same amount. Since the average price of a KU book is 1.99 because they tend to be short, both parties will make about .49 per 10% read versus a regular sale at .70.

I am not certain about all world owners, but myself and the ones I have spoken to had this "just happen" with no further contract negotiation. While I am so happy that we are not being paid on the page read system (which would have been far less money) and I am optimistic that this will bring us all a larger volume of royalties, it did kinda surprise me that they could just change our royalty rate without making us sign something in writing. 

The contact you enter into when publishing in Kindle Worlds basically gives them ALL rights to the work, in any medium, including those not invented yet, forever. Anything in Kindle Worlds belongs to Amazon. You can't even take a book down if you decide you don't want it published anymore. It is theirs.

So there is no real need for them to contact anyone when there is a change, because everyone completely signed away all the rights to anything they published.

Which is why I always treated any KW story as a write off. It is fun to do for beginners who are learning their craft. It is great for super fans of a property. And it is cool if you get invited to participate in the launch of a world or a promotion with the creator. Otherwise, it seems like your effort is better spent writing books where you hold onto some semblance of control over the finished product.

Also, it is worth considering that many of the worlds are based off properties already in KU. So it makes perfect sense to include KU titles. Now fans of the original series might be more likely to take a chance on other authors writing in some of their favorite worlds. The excitement (if there ever really was any) around KW has died down considerably. This might be a good way to breathe some new life into it.

Offline T. M. Bilderback

• Friday the 13th comes on a Tuesday this month.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 11:46:37 AM »
The contact you enter into when publishing in Kindle Worlds basically gives them ALL rights to the work, in any medium, including those not invented yet, forever.

Not all of them, Steve. "Jack Daniels And Associates", "Codename: Chandler", and "Jet" all allow you (generic you) to keep rights to any characters that you own, or have created for the Kindle World.

I couldn't have teamed Jack Daniels with my Justice Security otherwise.

T. M. Bilderback | Newsletter | Facebook

Offline Seneca42

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 12:30:26 PM »
Next up, post instagram pictures of yourself on amazon and get 70% royalty on all views in the new Kindle Unlimited Instagram bonus package.

Offline BlackHoodPress

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 01:36:48 PM »
Very excited about this. About freaking time. I'm just glad that KW is still around, even if they stopped adding high-profile IPs. And glad that they're still doing something with it.

New pulp stories written in the classic style
Roger Alford | Website | Twitter | Amazon Author Page

Offline KathyCarmichael

• Tampa, Florida
  • Where are my reading glasses?
    • View Profile
    • Kathy Carmichael's website
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 02:18:50 PM »
I only have one story in Kindle Worlds, and it hasn't earned much. I think I would have made more if I had published it on my own (taking out the world elements). So going into KU is very good with me and I hope it will generate more income :)

I have a theory that KU subscribers are voicing complaints about the selection of books in KU. I'm a subscriber and I've been underwhelmed lately, because so many wonderful authors have pulled out of it and gone wide. I think that's exactly what they =should have= done, but KU is suffering as a result. Also, I'm worried about Kindle Scout for similar reasons. If the author is particularly good, he or she can probably make more by remaining outside of Scout rather than publishing within it. I recently received an invitation to submit to Scout because of the "positive reader response" to my Kindle publications. That makes it seem as if some readers have been disappointed with the program.

As a result of thinking along these lines, I put my biggest selling series into KU last month, hoping to get more visibility while authors are pulling out. So far, it hasn't gained much (LOL), so I'm probably wrong, wrong, wrong :)

Romantic Comedy & Humorous Mystery
Kathy Carmichael | Website | Facebook