KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: B&N to close the Nook Manuscript Editor  (Read 624 times)  

Offline Don DeBon

• View Profile
    • Don's Writing Corner
B&N to close the Nook Manuscript Editor
« on: November 13, 2017, 10:23:17 AM »
For those of us that publish to B&N's Nook store directly, there has been a option to edit the manuscript on the site instead of reuploading the whole thing.  The idea was to allow for collibration.  And while a good idea, I don't think any of us used it.  Or at least I never did.  Well today I guess they figured that out and have announced that feature is shutting down:
Dear Publisher,

We wanted to let you know that we will be removing the Manuscript Editor feature in the next few weeks in an effort to streamline the book upload process.

If you used the Manuscript Editor to make changes to your ePub file and your project is not yet on sale, you can download and save the ePub file generated by the Manuscript Editor by following these instructions. Please note: it is likely more valuable to save your original word processing document that you uploaded to the platform instead of your ePub file.

1. Go to your projects page
2. Click on the "Update Manuscript" link for the project you want
3. Click on the "Download ePub" link

If you used the Manuscript Editor to make changes to your ePub file for a project that is already on sale, and you would like to post these Manuscript Editor changes to your on-sale project, click the "Post Updated Manuscript to NOOK Bookstore" button.

If you didn't use the Manuscript Editor to make changes to your ePub file, there is nothing you need to do.

You can email Support with any questions: nookpress@nook.com.

Thank you,

The NOOK Press Team

I always uploaded my ePub directly.  But their interface did fool me once.  At one point the book file was "posted" after uploading.  Later on they changed that and you had to click a "Post updated manuscript to the store" link near the top to get the book in the store even if you uploaded an ePub.  For a week I waited for a book to be added to the store and was about to call them when I noticed the "post" link.  Clicked that and sure enough a few hours later it was in the store.  Like anything it would seem that we users/publishers are the last to be told (if they ever do, usually we just have to find our way in the dark).

Did anyone ever use this feature?

Don DeBon | Website | Twitter | Google+

Online GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
Re: B&N to close the Nook Manuscript Editor
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 10:33:17 AM »
I've been anticipating the demise of the Nook for a long while, but this is actually an interesting development. it suggests they're actively reducing inefficiencies, which is not something I would expect if they were just going to let it die.

Offline Don DeBon

• View Profile
    • Don's Writing Corner
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 10:40:30 AM »
I've been anticipating the demise of the Nook for a long while, but this is actually an interesting development. it suggests they're actively reducing inefficiencies, which is not something I would expect if they were just going to let it die.
Agreed.  Also if they where going to let it die, they would not have released a new e-ink Nook.  They are scaling back the red ink, but going to keep it.  I tend to wonder if the announcement of "B&N is not a technology company" was to get people to stop asking what they were going to do with the Nook.

Offline hopecartercan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 09:47:41 PM »
Yeah, I received the email, too. It's somewhat of a bummer for me because I liked having the manuscript editor and I actually used to use it from time to time. Unfortunately, the resulting ebook didn't always come out formatted very well when I used it---that little fact forced me to start going with the epub option instead. I was hoping they were gonna improve on the editor instead of canning it.

Online GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 03:19:57 AM »
Yeah, I received the email, too. It's somewhat of a bummer for me because I liked having the manuscript editor and I actually used to use it from time to time. Unfortunately, the resulting ebook didn't always come out formatted very well when I used it---that little fact forced me to start going with the epub option instead. I was hoping they were gonna improve on the editor instead of canning it.

I've been formatting with Vellum, and I've found it true for all of these distributors that any in-book view of the uploaded book ends up causing some kind of nervous breakdown on the part of the program.

Online brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 07:54:54 AM »
Agreed.  Also if they where going to let it die, they would not have released a new e-ink Nook.  They are scaling back the red ink, but going to keep it.  I tend to wonder if the announcement of "B&N is not a technology company" was to get people to stop asking what they were going to do with the Nook.

My understanding is they are letting someone else produce the Nook and B&N has washed their hands of it. On the flip side, if they are going to sell books online, they have to continue to sell ebooks. As long as indie authors cost almost nothing but contribute to the bottom line, I think they'll continue to provide a publishing platform.

BR Kingsolver | Author website

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 07:58:19 AM »
My understanding is they are letting someone else produce the Nook and B&N has washed their hands of it. On the flip side, if they are going to sell books online, they have to continue to sell ebooks. As long as indie authors cost almost nothing but contribute to the bottom line, I think they'll continue to provide a publishing platform.
And no company would enter into an agreement to produce Nook devices without some assurance from Barnes and Noble that it wouldn't suddenly stop selling ebooks for the Nook.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Don DeBon

• View Profile
    • Don's Writing Corner
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 10:17:30 AM »
And no company would enter into an agreement to produce Nook devices without some assurance from Barnes and Noble that it wouldn't suddenly stop selling ebooks for the Nook.

While true, it maybe a the retail model instead of a partner model.  B&N orders so many customized devices and they sell them in their stores.  Either way it is cheaper and less intensive than designing their own devices in house.  They also don't have to sell a large amount to make the whole effort profitable.  The comment "B&N is no longer a technology company" may mean they are not going to develop devices, but still offer them.  For example, many retailers sell electronic goods, using computerized cash registers for checkout.  But that alone does not make them a technology company.