KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Pls Explain This AMS Ad Result  (Read 641 times)  

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
Pls Explain This AMS Ad Result
« on: November 13, 2017, 03:18:29 PM »
I've placed a $.32 bid on the title of a book
I search for and view the Kindle page for that book
There are only five books listed under sponsored products and mine isn't one of them. There's space for seven books.

Why wouldn't AMS fill that empty space and display my ad?

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Offline dianapersaud

• View Profile
    • Diana Persaud
Re: Pls Explain This AMS Ad Result
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 03:27:40 PM »
What was the time frame between placing the bid and searching?

Diana Persaud | My Website

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 03:47:17 PM »
What is your daily budget set at. If it's really low, the computer that chooses which ad goes where will try to determine the best time or how often to display the ad. For instance, if your budget is $5 and your bid is $.32, it till be displayed only a few times, to make sure it doesn't go over 15 clicks in a given day. Also, what is the average cost per click (ACPC) of the keyword used? If the ACPC is $1, your add will only be displayed five times with a $5 budget.

The more liberal your budget and bid, the more times your ad will be displayed.
NINC President-Elect, 2018. My Amazon Bestselling, ten-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  three-volume Charity Styles Series, also Amazon Bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, with many more exciting adventures to come. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, and is also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
Semper Fi,
Wayne Stinnett | Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Amazon Author Page | Motivational Videos | Down Island Press | Ship's Store Swag

Offline TromboneAl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 04:15:07 PM »
What was the time frame between placing the bid and searching?

Eight days.

Daily budget: $9

Only 1,822 impressions and 1 click so far (for all keywords).

Offline Accord64

• View Profile
    • Bruce Fottler Author Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 04:58:08 PM »
From my understanding not everyone will see the same sponsored products. It depends on your buying/search habits. The AMS algorithm displays only the ads it thinks you'd be more likely to click on.

However, why after clicking on "The Hunt for Red October" a romance novel displays on page one of the ad carousel is a bit perplexing. Maybe it's trying to get me to embrace the dormant romance reader within me?  ::)

I personally think the algorithm goes haywire more often than Amazon would ever admit.

Online loraininflorida

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 05:15:28 PM »

However, why after clicking on "The Hunt for Red October" a romance novel displays on page one of the ad carousel is a bit perplexing. Maybe it's trying to get me to embrace the dormant romance reader within me?  ::)

It's probably that phallic shaped sub.

Lorain O'Neil

Offline TromboneAl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 06:40:34 PM »
I clicked on one of my Sponsored Products displays and bought my book. It will be interesting to see when the sale shows up.

Offline Seneca42

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 07:33:32 PM »
totally normal.

One time an Amazon Imprint book launched and I guess no one knew the author. Their blurb had one of my keywords "Gandhi" in it and as a result (and total dumb luck) my book was slotted in their carousel for like 16c a click. Five other books were also slotted in it and for about 3 days the five of us got a TON of impressions/clicks for next to nothing.

Then, after three days, BOOM, carousel expanded out to 97 pages or whatever and the five of us there were quickly kicked off into oblivion as others, who I'm sure were bidding tons to get that visibility, got slotted.

Point being, AMS is not as finely tuned as we might think. Odds are the book you're trying to promote on just isn't getting any traffic so AMS sees no point displaying ads on it other than a handful. I had that problem many times when I was using AMS (which I've subsequently stopped using because it's a gong show money pit at this point). 

Offline TromboneAl

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 03:41:11 PM »
The first sale showed up today. If that was my test purchase, the delay was two days. Not surprising.

Offline Marian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 03:59:04 PM »
I personally think the algorithm goes haywire more often than Amazon would ever admit.

I'm not sure  the algorithm goes haywire. I've had AMS ads for a while, and I've noticed from the beginning that erotica is on the first pages of the carousels for women's fiction and women's literary fiction. It seems to me that the erotica and other inappropriate genres that are on the first pages of some carousels where one would think they didn't belong are there to pump up the bids, no pun intended.

Offline Tizzy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 04:16:40 PM »
Point being, AMS is not as finely tuned as we might think. Odds are the book you're trying to promote on just isn't getting any traffic so AMS sees no point displaying ads on it other than a handful. I had that problem many times when I was using AMS (which I've subsequently stopped using because it's a gong show money pit at this point).

May I know what you use? I'm testing different ad systems, and AMS is the first one - so far I haven't sold jank, but I also haven't spent much ($3) so I'm not whining. Only got like 22 clicks and 12k impressions so it's not too bad.

The first sale showed up today. If that was my test purchase, the delay was two days. Not surprising.

Did it also take long to show up on your KDP report? I'm wondering if I should hold out hopes of any sales over the last 24 hours  ;D

Offline Wayne Stinnett

• "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns."
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 04:05:13 PM »

I doubt it was. Usually when I start a new ad, it doesn't show any sales until 72 hours later.
NINC President-Elect, 2018. My Amazon Bestselling, ten-volume Jesse McDermitt Series and the spinoff,  three-volume Charity Styles Series, also Amazon Bestsellers, are available in ebook, audiobook, and paperback, with many more exciting adventures to come. In my motivational non-fiction, Blue Collar to No Collar, I provide tips, advice, and strategies for new authors, and is also available in the same formats. Don't forget to visit the Ship's Store for Jesse McDermitt swag.
Semper Fi,
Wayne Stinnett | Website | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Amazon Author Page | Motivational Videos | Down Island Press | Ship's Store Swag