KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: So am I the only guy who Instafreebie doesn't light up for?  (Read 1145 times)  

Offline RightHoJeeves

• Perth
    • View Profile
    • Lawson Copywriting
So am I the only guy who Instafreebie doesn't light up for?
« on: November 13, 2017, 08:11:12 PM »
So in an effort to do some strategic marketing, I have developed a novella to my upcoming series and put it on Instafreebie - $20 a month plan (will be doing Facey ads too). I've linked it all up to Mailerlite, so that when people claim the book they're synced into Mailerlite and then they get a thank you message from me. I've tested it, a few friends have tested it. It works. I've also signed up to some Group Giveaways, but I don't think they're active yet

So how come I'm not getting any downloads? I know it's not going to light the world on fire after 1 day, but after reading heaps of stuff here, everyone talks about getting a handful of subscribers a day. I would haev thought, given what people say, I'd have a few people I don't know claim it. The only ones who have downloaded it so far are either me or the people I've asked to test it.

Have I missed something really obvious? Or is it just because I smell?

The link is below...

https://www.instafreebie.com/free/NfqYt

Any help would be appreciated!

James Lawson

Offline Lloyd MacRae

• Canada Eh!
    • View Profile
Re: So am I the only guy who Instafreebie doesn't light up for?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 08:27:21 PM »

Yes. Patience :)

It takes a bit of time before readers know you exist. And you have to work at it.
Once your group promos start running you will see subscribers. Some folks use
posts on Twitter or Facebook but my experiences show group promotions are
the best way to get exposure.

You might try emailing Instafreebie and see how you can get featured on one
of their mailings to start. That will give you definite exposure (and not the kind that gets you arrested) :)

p.s. You are in my Dec giveaway and you'll get anywhere from 200-700 subscribers - no promises  ;D

Taking the world by storm...one story at a time.
Eugene Lloyd MacRae | Author Website | Facebook | Goodreads

Online Kyra Halland

• Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Welcome To My Worlds
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 08:50:56 PM »
Yeah, group promos are the way to go. My giveaway page that isn't in a group promo right now does maybe 1 or 2 copies a day. If you Tweet about it and tag Instafreebie in the tweet, they might re-tweet it and that will also get you some downloads.

Tales of fantasy, heroism, and romance.
Kyra Halland | Website | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Goodreads

Offline RightHoJeeves

• Perth
    • View Profile
    • Lawson Copywriting
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 08:58:21 PM »
Yes. Patience :)

It takes a bit of time before readers know you exist. And you have to work at it.
Once your group promos start running you will see subscribers. Some folks use
posts on Twitter or Facebook but my experiences show group promotions are
the best way to get exposure.

You might try emailing Instafreebie and see how you can get featured on one
of their mailings to start. That will give you definite exposure (and not the kind that gets you arrested) :)

p.s. You are in my Dec giveaway and you'll get anywhere from 200-700 subscribers - no promises  ;D

Well that's certainly good to know. Thanks for the reassurance. This has all been kind of a long time coming so I tend to get a bit "WHY ISN'T THIS WORKING IMMEDIATELY GAAAH".

James Lawson

Offline Guy Riessen

• View Profile
    • Guy Riessen Author of Dark Fiction
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 10:33:15 PM »
Nobody knows that your book exists on instafreebie.
Once you're in a group giveaway you'll start to get emails--that's because everyone in the giveaway should be telling all their mailing list and all their social media that there's a group giveaway going on.

You don't have to wait though--you can use twitter and facebook if you have followers there. Or you could use a cheap twitter broadcaster like TweetYourBooks or similar to broadcast to all their followers. You could use the BookBot thinger that's mentioned frequently on kboards. That kind of thing. Mainly you just have to let people know that they can go get your book for free :)

Guy Riessen | website

Offline Rosie A.

• America
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 10:44:13 PM »
Me. I eventually just deleted all my books on there. Granted, I joined like 2 giveaways so...probably my fault.

Offline RightHoJeeves

• Perth
    • View Profile
    • Lawson Copywriting
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 10:45:12 PM »
Right, I getcha. Well I'm awaiting acceptance on some giveaways, so in the meantime I'll focus on FB ads.

Cheers everyone!

James Lawson

Online JulianneQJohnson

• Indianapolis
    • View Profile
    • Julianne Q Johnson- pictures and words
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 10:48:34 PM »
I agree with the other posters.  You have to join promos to get your Instafreebie offering noticed.  I got over 800 new subscribers last month just from joining a few promos.  Have patience, it will work!

Offline RightHoJeeves

• Perth
    • View Profile
    • Lawson Copywriting
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 10:57:21 PM »
I agree with the other posters.  You have to join promos to get your Instafreebie offering noticed.  I got over 800 new subscribers last month just from joining a few promos.  Have patience, it will work!

I shall do! I'm waiting to be accepted on a few, so hopefully it'll start ticking over soon :)

James Lawson

Online Herefortheride

• Chengdu
  • Loving every minute
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 11:04:44 PM »
So in an effort to do some strategic marketing, I have developed a novella to my upcoming series and put it on Instafreebie - $20 a month plan (will be doing Facey ads too). I've linked it all up to Mailerlite, so that when people claim the book they're synced into Mailerlite and then they get a thank you message from me. I've tested it, a few friends have tested it. It works. I've also signed up to some Group Giveaways, but I don't think they're active yet

So how come I'm not getting any downloads? I know it's not going to light the world on fire after 1 day, but after reading heaps of stuff here, everyone talks about getting a handful of subscribers a day. I would haev thought, given what people say, I'd have a few people I don't know claim it. The only ones who have downloaded it so far are either me or the people I've asked to test it.

The link is below...

https://www.instafreebie.com/free/NfqYt

Any help would be appreciated!

I'm closing in on 600 claims on the one group promo and it's running until the end of December!
Blood Cauldron (DoH book 3): 93%
H.C. Harrington

Offline RightHoJeeves

• Perth
    • View Profile
    • Lawson Copywriting
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 11:12:58 PM »
Given I'm just a total prawn, am I likely to be knocked back from most giveaways? I mean, aside from a pretty cover I don't have a lot to offer.

James Lawson

Online Herefortheride

• Chengdu
  • Loving every minute
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 11:40:23 PM »
Given I'm just a total prawn, am I likely to be knocked back from most giveaways? I mean, aside from a pretty cover I don't have a lot to offer.

Not necessarily. Be active. There are facebook groups and instafreebie groups to network on.
H.C. Harrington

Offline Nicholas Erik

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 11:41:46 PM »

Most giveaways are welcoming to authors with little/no existing platform, so I wouldn't worry about it. Share with the audience you have. I joined a few last year with a small email list.

Also, to echo what's been said: it's totally normal to receive few or no "organic" downloads on Instafreebie. I have a few things up there - from novels to novellas - and they get basically no action outside of the group giveaways I enter. Instafreebie will occasionally choose books to highlight in their Friday email or on their homepage - that's happened a couple times with my free non-fiction courses. Probably less competition and fewer of those types of books up there, because the novellas have more eye-grabbing covers. Anyway, if they do choose to feature it, you can expect a good rush of downloads.

I suppose you can email them for featured consideration, but I've never bothered. Another option, though.

Nick

EDITED: confusing typo
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 12:42:16 AM by Nicholas Erik »

Offline RightHoJeeves

• Perth
    • View Profile
    • Lawson Copywriting
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 12:10:11 AM »
Most giveaways are welcoming to authors with little/no existing platform, so I wouldn't worry about it. Share with the audience you have. I joined a few last year with a small email list.

Cool thanks mate. I might check out your marketing ebook too. I feel pretty familiar with the broad strokes, but the finer details are always something else.

James Lawson

Offline Kathy Dee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 12:19:51 AM »
The idea is completely lost on me. When I realised you had to drive traffic to your give-away, I could not see the difference between using them and doing it all yourself ... and you have to pay for the service???

Offline Russ Munson

• Aldie, Virginia
    • View Profile
    • russmunson.com
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 02:44:49 AM »
Make sure your download page is set up to REQUIRE email addresses (if I remember correctly, they encourage you not to click this button when you sign up). When I signed up for my free month, I was bummed I wasn't getting any signups. Then I realized I hadn't checked the box and people were in fact signing up at a rate of 1-3 per day--with no promotions.

Offline RightHoJeeves

• Perth
    • View Profile
    • Lawson Copywriting
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 04:23:11 AM »
Just got accepted for one that starts tomorrow and last for two weeks, so we shall see how it goes!

James Lawson

Online Herefortheride

• Chengdu
  • Loving every minute
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 04:26:22 AM »
The idea is completely lost on me. When I realised you had to drive traffic to your give-away, I could not see the difference between using them and doing it all yourself ... and you have to pay for the service???

You misunderstand it. I have done little to nothing to promote besides sending a email to my (formerly) small list. The giveaway drove the action and I'm a prawn.
H.C. Harrington

Offline Hal Archer

• Sometimes you need to get muddy.
    • View Profile
    • HalArcher.com
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 06:27:59 AM »
Group promos within your genre are the surest way to get hundreds of downloads. Your cover and blurb are good. So, more exposure is the key. You can wait a long time for people to discover you (because Instafreebie does promote books on their site via email), but that could take forever. Or you can join several multi-author genre-specific promos. You and every other author in the promo would spread the word about the promo via social media and email lists. I did three such promos early on and picked up hundreds of new subscribers to my email list. Do a search on Facebook author groups which are focused on book marketing for your genre. You'll probably see offers there for multi-author IF promos.

Writer of the sci-fi series, Jake Mudd Adventures and the related collection of Jake Mudd Tales.
Hal Archer | author website | amazon | bookbub | goodreads | twitter | facebook | instagram | pinterest

Online andycat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 09:52:34 AM »
This sounds dumb, but make sure your giveaway isn't set to 'private', -- if it is, people can only access it with the direct link, and Instafreebie won't show it to other users. I tried googling James Lawson + Instafreebie and didn't see your book come up (whereas, when I google my pen name + Instafreebie, I do find my book).

Offline Kathy Dee

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 05:32:43 AM »
You misunderstand it. I have done little to nothing to promote besides sending a email to my (formerly) small list. The giveaway drove the action and I'm a prawn.
But why could you not have done that by setting up your own give-away and doing list swaps?

Offline ParkerAvrile

• View Profile
    • Parker Avrile's Steamy Gay ROmance
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 05:47:34 AM »
I haven't used it as an author, but as a reader, I'd say you're late to the party. Instafreebie sends way too many free books out, and I can go weeks without opening any of their email offers.

At certain times, I have received such offers as "168 free romance books," "57 free gay romance books" etc. Even if I downloaded all the ones that looked good, I'd never read them. Nobody's going to live that long.

As a reader, I really do feel spammed sometimes, even knowing I signed on for that. Giving away free books is just not anything special anymore. You literally have to somehow sell free, which is going to be more expensive than $20/month.
Visit my website for free reads & giveaways for lovers of steamy m/m romance https://parkeravrile.wordpress.com/blog/

Online Herefortheride

• Chengdu
  • Loving every minute
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2017, 07:42:35 AM »
But why could you not have done that by setting up your own give-away and doing list swaps?

Because fellow members of Kboards run some awesome group promos with graphics and we blast to all of our lists and social media it was painless and took no time for me to join up. And I'm approaching 600 newsletter additions now.

Instafreebie has been worth every penny.

Why would you want to waste so much time reaching out to other authors in the hopes of list swap when you could just get a 20+ author list swap and hundreds of new subscribers at no effort.

My time is very valuable and it would certainly be many hours of work to do what you are suggesting. My value my time at $40-50 per hour. Perhaps others have a lower value to their time?
H.C. Harrington

Offline RightHoJeeves

• Perth
    • View Profile
    • Lawson Copywriting
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2017, 02:26:32 PM »
So a little update: one of the group giveaways started, and I logged on this morning to see like 20 people had signed up.

Obviously a small amount, but it's all working at least! Also - pretty cool to see the automatic Mailerlite set up spring open and send them emails. Even cooler to see half of them opened the emails.

James Lawson

Offline Lloyd MacRae

• Canada Eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2017, 03:03:41 PM »
So a little update: one of the group giveaways started, and I logged on this morning to see like 20 people had signed up.

Obviously a small amount, but it's all working at least! Also - pretty cool to see the automatic Mailerlite set up spring open and send them emails. Even cooler to see half of them opened the emails.

Congratulations.

Now don't screw it up and lose them all. ;D

Taking the world by storm...one story at a time.
Eugene Lloyd MacRae | Author Website | Facebook | Goodreads