KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: What price for 2nd Book in Series?  (Read 250 times)  

Offline baldricko

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
What price for 2nd Book in Series?
« on: November 14, 2017, 12:41:22 AM »
May Day is Book 2 of my trilogy. It's been out now for one week. It's about 76,000 words.

I've started with a price of 0.99 for Book 2 which matches the funnel price of Book 1. There's a note at the bottom mentioning the discount price is for a limited period. I was thinking of leaving it at a dollar for a month. Now I'm not so sure.

The reason being, I've had nil page reads from this book. Getting more eyes on my books via the KU program is pretty much the only reason I'm still in KDP select rather than going wide.

So, I am thinking now perhaps nudge the price up slowly. Like a really slow Countdown. One that lasts a month rather than a week. I think I will make it whopping whole $2. What do you think? Or should I keep it at a $1 a little longer? Or go straight to $2.99. Or higher?

Procrastination is an ugly thing.

mailto: KbrsCopyeditingProofreading@gmail.com
Gerard O'Neill | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Laran Mithras

• Butte MT
    • View Profile
Re: What price for 2nd Book in Series?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 06:39:45 AM »
2.99 or more. 99 cents is such a loss it is only good as a loss-leader. At 76K words, you might even get 3.99. Depends on genre and what the top sellers are getting. Sometimes you don't dare do more than 2.99.

But book 2? Definitely 2.99.

Online Puddleduck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 06:46:40 AM »
Just go straight to your regular price (at least 2.99). I don't see what the point in easing it up gradually would be.

Offline WDR

• Massachusetts
  • To boldly split infinitives
    • View Profile
    • Official Website of William D. Richards
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 07:22:31 AM »
At 76K words, you have a full novel. I would suggest going to $2.99 at the least.

Whether to go cheap or not to gain a foothold in the market and quickly grow marketshare is a debate that has strong opinions on both sides. There is certainly something to be said for cheap prices reeling in the readers to drive your sales numbers. But many writers who have set their ebook prices at full value have not seen any dampening of their sales.

I fall into the latter category: I set my ebooks at full price and I still had excellent sales. My bottom line was much better than if I had gone cheap. My income from book sales has actually exceeded my income from work this year and is poised at this time to exceed last year's wages for the year.

There is also the very real phenomenon of Perceived Value. This is where people equate the quality of something with its price. (This also works with an object's weight: the heavier something is, the more people assume it is more expensive and better quality.) People might see the low price and assume you have to give it away to get people to read it. In light of perceived value, you might be losing a larger audience because they question the quality of your book due to the low price.

Another concept is the Freemium business model, where you offer the first book of your series for free in the hopes that readers will buy the rest of the books in the series so they can finish the whole story. The authors who report the most success with this approach are those who already have multiple books for sale, usually four or more. I would suggest you go this route only when you have a completed series.

In the end, you have to decide what is best for you. Choose the price that you think is fair for you plus the amount of work you put into your novel and a price that you think is fair to the consumer.
Aggadeh Chronicles Book 3: Oracle: 0%
William D. Richards | Official Website | A Writer's Chronicles | Patreon

Offline baldricko

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 12:40:22 PM »
At 76K words, you have a full novel. I would suggest going to $2.99 at the least.

Whether to go cheap or not to gain a foothold in the market and quickly grow marketshare is a debate that has strong opinions on both sides. There is certainly something to be said for cheap prices reeling in the readers to drive your sales numbers. But many writers who have set their ebook prices at full value have not seen any dampening of their sales.

I fall into the latter category: I set my ebooks at full price and I still had excellent sales. My bottom line was much better than if I had gone cheap. My income from book sales has actually exceeded my income from work this year and is poised at this time to exceed last year's wages for the year.

There is also the very real phenomenon of Perceived Value. This is where people equate the quality of something with its price. (This also works with an object's weight: the heavier something is, the more people assume it is more expensive and better quality.) People might see the low price and assume you have to give it away to get people to read it. In light of perceived value, you might be losing a larger audience because they question the quality of your book due to the low price.

Another concept is the Freemium business model, where you offer the first book of your series for free in the hopes that readers will buy the rest of the books in the series so they can finish the whole story. The authors who report the most success with this approach are those who already have multiple books for sale, usually four or more. I would suggest you go this route only when you have a completed series.

In the end, you have to decide what is best for you. Choose the price that you think is fair for you plus the amount of work you put into your novel and a price that you think is fair to the consumer.

WDR you argue so very well. I am pretty much convinced at this point. $2.99 is the way to go. Today is the last day at 0.99 cents for May Day.

Thank you for your replies, Laran Mithras and PuddleDuck, I have been convinced by you all. I am going for the full 70% recompense for my hard work. I think though I will keep the lead-in Book 1 at $0.99 a little longer.

mailto: KbrsCopyeditingProofreading@gmail.com
Gerard O'Neill | Website | Facebook | Twitter