Shop Foodie Calendars Now! Shop Dog Calendars Now!
KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Responding to reviews, are we missing a golden opportunity?  (Read 1507 times)  

Offline Awasin

• View Profile
Re: Responding to reviews, are we missing a golden opportunity?
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2017, 10:44:45 PM »
One thing that's never mentioned in these review threads is that some of our nasty reviews come from other authors.

Everybody pretends that reviews all come from readers and that there's some magical protocol for dealing with them lest the putative "readers" be offended.

I'm not saying to respond to them.  Just don't think there is some big divide between readers and authors/publishers when it comes to reviews.

edited; PM if you have questions -- Ann

« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 04:07:08 AM by Ann in Arlington »

Offline Piano Jenny

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2017, 05:23:14 AM »
Non-fiction author Gary Vaynerchuk prides himself on responding to negative reviews. He thinks it's good customer service. Not something I would ever do myself, but he's certainly very successful at what he does.

Here's a comment of his from a negative review on Amazon of Jab, Jab, Right Hook:

Linds super sad u didnt find value in the book, I am worried about the terms of service statement, I think we see something different and I am curious what it is based on y respect for you so....

#1 Sorry I let u down

#2 If u ever get a chance ( i am sure u are busy and have better things to do ) ping me on what you mean by that because I am baffled by your statement

On another note:

About a year ago I bought a book from an author who I have seen here on KBoards. After I read the book (which I enjoyed), I looked at some of the reviews on Goodreads. The author had not other responded to a negative review, but actually got into a back-and-forth with the reviewer.

I thought to myself, "Wow, if I had seen this before I bought their book, I never would have bought it."

Professional Pianist and Author
Jennifer McCoy Blaske | Website

Online RBN

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2017, 06:13:58 AM »
Linds super sad u didnt find value in the book, I am worried about the terms of service statement, I think we see something different and I am curious what it is based on y respect for you so....

#1 Sorry I let u down

#2 If u ever get a chance ( i am sure u are busy and have better things to do ) ping me on what you mean by that because I am baffled by your statement

If an author can't be bothered to spell out "you," put apostrophes in contractions, use other punctuation correctly, or capitalize "I" when posting in response to a reader on a sales page for a book he's written, that doesn't inspire confidence in his writing ability.

I've changed my mind. Anyone who wants to respond to reviews should go for it. I spend far too much money on books, and every extra bit of information that knocks a book out of the running is a blessing for my budget.

Offline The Bass Bagwhan

• Western Australia
  • Horror & Urban Fantasy... I think.
    • View Profile
    • Graeme Hague
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2017, 04:47:37 PM »
If an author can't be bothered to spell out "you," put apostrophes in contractions, use other punctuation correctly, or capitalize "I" when posting in response to a reader on a sales page for a book he's written, that doesn't inspire confidence in his writing ability.

I've changed my mind. Anyone who wants to respond to reviews should go for it. I spend far too much money on books, and every extra bit of information that knocks a book out of the running is a blessing for my budget.

Yes, I get really annoyed by "textspeak" writing. I would respond to an author's reply written like this and it wouldn't be pretty...

But it's interesting, as you point out, that he tries to pour oil on those troubled waters.
Author, freelance writer and editor, professional musician, recording engineer... published in Australia, the UK and Germany. So why am I poor? Oh, wait...
I'll be a writer... seemed like a good idea at the time

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac