KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: I'm in a bind  (Read 881 times)  

Offline beccaprice

• SE MIchigan
    • View Profile
    • Wyrm Tales Press
I'm in a bind
« on: November 14, 2017, 08:22:05 AM »
still working on the outline for The Boy Who Loved The Moon. I have 3 potential "heros" - Rudra, Owen, and Marc.

Mythologically there should be 3 tests. My first test is meeting the monster (Rudra runs from it, but later embraces it, Owen kills it, and Marc tames it). The third test is meeting one's self and one's true destiny. Again, mythologically, the middle test is betrayal of one's love or lord, or adultery - but that doesn't fit into the story line at all. Most of the interactions are between the potential hero and the personification of the Moon, and I can't think of any way that they would betray her.

Can anyone suggest a second, middle test to "prove" a hero?

many thanks

www.wyrmtalespress.com  wyrmtalespress@gmail.com
Join my mailing list at at http://eepurl.com/JA5e1
covers by Todd C. Hamilton

Offline thevoiceofone

• View Profile
Re: I'm in a bind
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 08:52:05 AM »
still working on the outline for The Boy Who Loved The Moon. I have 3 potential "heros" - Rudra, Owen, and Marc.

Mythologically there should be 3 tests. My first test is meeting the monster (Rudra runs from it, but later embraces it, Owen kills it, and Marc tames it). The third test is meeting one's self and one's true destiny. Again, mythologically, the middle test is betrayal of one's love or lord, or adultery - but that doesn't fit into the story line at all. Most of the interactions are between the potential hero and the personification of the Moon, and I can't think of any way that they would betray her.

Can anyone suggest a second, middle test to "prove" a hero?

many thanks

Just write the story. Most folks aren't going to catch what you were trying to convey below the surface.

But if you want one final one. I will give it...

SACRIFICE

That always proves the hero. Their willingness to lay down their life.

Offline beccaprice

• SE MIchigan
    • View Profile
    • Wyrm Tales Press
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 08:58:14 AM »
oh, that's a good one! many thanks.  I was so bound up with the idea of betrayal that I couldn't see past it!

Online Lilly_Frost

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 10:04:47 AM »
The betrayal could be of a principle or value that they hold dear, i.e., they betray their truest self in some way.

Leroy Nichols | Square Root of Time

Offline Gareth K Pengelly

• Leicestershire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 10:42:55 AM »
Sacrifice is definitely a good idea. Doesn't even have to be something as dramatic as their life, could even be a possession, a career, a dream, just something they'd have to give up but really don't want to. The act of relinquishing something they desired can really change a hero. Then as a reward, you could always give it back to them at the end ;)

Offline Evenstar

• South West England
  • YA and PNR
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 10:57:33 AM »
I'm thinking of the Indiana Jones quest for the Grail where he had to pass tests to show he was worthy. One of them was a leap of faith. Maybe they should be asked to cross a lake on a shaft of moon light, and if they don't trust her to carry them safely then it is betrayal and if they step out onto the water then it shows trust. (water would have to be deep and scary or something though, not just a case of wet feet).

Online Lilly_Frost

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 12:18:32 PM »
Oh, I love the walking on a moonbeam idea!

I'm thinking of the Indiana Jones quest for the Grail where he had to pass tests to show he was worthy. One of them was a leap of faith. Maybe they should be asked to cross a lake on a shaft of moon light, and if they don't trust her to carry them safely then it is betrayal and if they step out onto the water then it shows trust. (water would have to be deep and scary or something though, not just a case of wet feet).

Leroy Nichols | Square Root of Time

Offline beccaprice

• SE MIchigan
    • View Profile
    • Wyrm Tales Press
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 07:52:36 AM »
Oh, I love the walking on a moonbeam idea!

so do I. I have Owen get to Mythos by climbing a ladder made of star light, but I'll have to use walking on a moonbeam. I've used it in one of my other stories, The Dark, in Dragons and Dreams, but since this is aimed at a different audience than D&D is, I don't think it would harm to use it again.

Offline LovetoWrite

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 03:23:54 PM »
To me, the test of adultery shows a strength of character. So perhaps having the character do the right thing when they think no one is looking or when they think it doesn't matter (like at the end of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory when Charlie gives back the Everlasting Gobstopper to Slugworth because it's the right thing to do--even though giving it back means his family will continue living in poverty).