Shop Foodie Calendars Now! Shop Dog Calendars Now!
KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Kindle Second Generation Firmware Updating  (Read 94 times)  

Offline kindlecollector

• View Profile
Kindle Second Generation Firmware Updating
« on: November 14, 2017, 08:43:17 AM »
This is for owners of the Kindle 2 and Kindle DX who never updated them to the latest firmware so are limited in their use of the device due to some parts of their communications with the Amazon site no longer working correctly.  The last update per Amazon was sent by Wi-Fi and these units do not have Wi-Fi communications capability, only 3G.

The second generation Kindle ebook readers with e-ink technology screens include the Kindle 2 and Kindle DX (all versions).  The firmware update for them all consists of two files.  Different files are required to update each hardware version, differentiated by the first 4 digits of the serial number.  The Kindle 2 versions start with serial numbers B002 or B003.  The Kindle DX models have serial numbers starting with B004, B005 or B009 so there are a total of 5 firmware update versions, each with two files.

For a successful update the two correct files must be installed in the unit separately and run successively.  If both are loaded at the same time and the update started the update will fail, though claiming success.  It will terminate much more rapidly than it should and the listed firmware level number will be unchanged.  This is not clear from the current Amazon instructions for updating these units the last time I checked.

The current Amazon instructions for updating these units is very unclear.  The update instructions indicate that the files should be downloaded successively but does NOT clearly state that they must be side loaded into the Kindle individually and run separately and in succession for a correct full update.

Here are step by step instructions:

Kindle DX or Kindle 2 (Free 3G)

Your serial number starts with B002, B003, B004, B005, or B009.

1.  download Software Update 2.5.8 for the correct hardware version based on serial number first 4 digits

2.  copy it to your device, not into any of the folders on the Kindle.

3.  use Menu -Settings - Menu and Update your device

4.  then download the Kindle Services Update for the same serial number series

5.  copy it to your device

6.  use Menu -Settings - Menu and Update your device

you have to run the 2.5.8 update then run the Kindle Services Update - you cannot load and run both at the same time

I hope that this information is helpful to someone.

Offline kindlecollector

• View Profile
Re: Kindle Second Generation Firmware Updating
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 09:28:35 AM »
I will add that I first tried updating by loading both update files in the Kindle and the updates failed.  Gave the check mark and claimed the update succeeded but the revision level remained unchanged and SYNC attempts still gave a error message.  Contacted Amazon general tech support and they were absolutely no help.  The tech support person was a Filipina working in the Philippines and she did not have any answers not in the Kindle help files so far as I could tell.  I finally got an answer by posting on the new Amazon customers board.

I would add that I have found that generally speaking technical support from all companies has deteriorated sharply since most technical support has been moved overseas and the personnel have minimal experience hands-on with the items they are supposedly supporting.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle Second Generation Firmware Updating
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 09:46:17 AM »
Thanks kindlecollector -- I think there was a pretty long discussion here a year or so ago when Amazon announced that there was a critical update that needed to be applied to older devices to keep the wireless connection working. But it's not a bad thing to remind folks with older devices -- and I think there was a question not too long ago about someone with a DX having trouble connecting -- I'd forgotten about this issue entirely.

Note: Amazon general customer support is not usually as well versed in kindle issues. We always suggest you use Kindle Customer Service. Contact info, including phone numbers, is in the top sticky thread in this forum section.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR