KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: running a kobo free week, and price matching  (Read 696 times)  

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
running a kobo free week, and price matching
« on: November 14, 2017, 08:51:40 AM »
I signed up for a free week promo on Kobo for one of my novels. It's free on Kobo only. I've done this before, with discounts, but this is my first free.

Today I saw credit for one giveaway of the same book on Amazon. I went to the book listing on Amazon and it's still at its normal price (I tried it both as myself and on a different computer as nobody.)

I have no particular beef, I'm just wondering how a customer can get a price-match to the Kobo listing, without it affecting the price of the book for everyone?

Online shimmering

• Cumbria
    • View Profile
Re: running a kobo free week, and price matching
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 09:37:27 AM »
It may be that another Amazon store pricematched while the one that you are looking at did not ... e.g. your book Immortal is free in the UK store at the moment. I don't know whether that's the one you are thinking about.

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 09:45:32 AM »
It may be that another Amazon store pricematched while the one that you are looking at did not ... e.g. your book Immortal is free in the UK store at the moment. I don't know whether that's the one you are thinking about.

AHA!

That's the answer. The UK is price-matching. i didn't check there. I wonder if it will leak over to the US.

Thanks for checking.

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 10:33:04 AM »
How interesting, they're price-matching in all the non-US stores to the Kobo free pricing, but not the US.

Offline Greg Dragon

• The End is important in all things. - Tsunetomo
    • View Profile
    • GregDragon.com
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 02:32:53 PM »
I know it's YMMV with Amazon, Gene, but I have always just emailed them through KDP and they flip it to free for me. Have you emailed them?

Matchless Dragon | GregDragon.com | Google+ | Twitter | Facebook

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 03:55:23 PM »
I know it's YMMV with Amazon, Gene, but I have always just emailed them through KDP and they flip it to free for me. Have you emailed them?

I don't WANT it free. I'l live with it, but when I signed up for the Kobo freebie week, it was for a site-specific promotion. They just never price-matched the other Kobo sales, so it was a surprise to see giveaways turning up on Amazon

Offline Seneca42

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 05:03:40 PM »
please keep us updated on this. I've always wondered what happens when you do a free promo on kobo only. Doesn't look like you'll get the dreaded "adjust your price or else" thing. They just price match instead.

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 05:33:05 PM »
please keep us updated on this. I've always wondered what happens when you do a free promo on kobo only. Doesn't look like you'll get the dreaded "adjust your price or else" thing. They just price match instead.

No emails so far, and it's still only the non-US sites. The Kobo promo is supposed to run for a week, so i might get one eventually.

My assumption with 'zon's price-matching is that they only do it when a sale on another site has happened. So for instance, it's currently free at Canada, UK and Australia, but not US. I suspect that this is because nobody in the US has hit the US Kobo site for a free download. Considering Kobo sales in the US are exceedingly rare, this would make sense to me.

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • "Kindle Scout Kahuna"
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 06:57:40 PM »
The US site is actually free for IMMORTAL. I know, because I grabbed a copy.

Maybe you just can't see it, Gene...

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • "Kindle Scout Kahuna"
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 07:12:53 PM »
And, oddly enough, even though I actually DID receive my copy for free - the book is still being listed in the Amazon Bestseller rank as paid.

Go figure...

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 07:23:35 PM »
The US site is actually free for IMMORTAL. I know, because I grabbed a copy.

Maybe you just can't see it, Gene...

I'm still seeing it as non-free in the US site. Your handle says you're in Nova Scotia, are you 100% sure you're not seeing it in Amazon CA?

(Enjoy the book, btw.)

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • "Kindle Scout Kahuna"
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 06:27:08 PM »
I'm still seeing it as non-free in the US site. Your handle says you're in Nova Scotia, are you 100% sure you're not seeing it in Amazon CA?

(Enjoy the book, btw.)

Nope - I am hooked up to shop on Amazon.com.

My theory - if you have ALREADY bought a copy of your own book, as some authors do in order to kickstart their Amazon rank, you might not see it.

How about it folks? Can anyone else see Gene Doucette's IMMORTAL free on Amazon.com?

By the way. My wife just grabbed a free copy on Kobo as well. And I actually HAVE started reading it today and I am enjoying the reeking fecal matter out of it. It is a great read so far!

Online Vale

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 08:17:53 PM »
$5.99 from Colorado, USA for the Kindle version.

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 08:39:14 PM »
Nope - I am hooked up to shop on Amazon.com.

My theory - if you have ALREADY bought a copy of your own book, as some authors do in order to kickstart their Amazon rank, you might not see it.

How about it folks? Can anyone else see Gene Doucette's IMMORTAL free on Amazon.com?

By the way. My wife just grabbed a free copy on Kobo as well. And I actually HAVE started reading it today and I am enjoying the reeking fecal matter out of it. It is a great read so far!

I'm glad you're enjoying it!

I've also used other computers and logged on as not myself, and I'm still seeing the full price. I'm also collecting sales in the US. So: let's just say it's weird and not kick over this anthill.  :D

Offline Michele Brouder

• Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 01:29:56 AM »
I had this happen to me last week. I had no books on promotion and both were full price. And yet, there on my KDP dashboard, is one free download. I contacted them and it took 2 emails and a week for them to tell me that it was actually part of the Matchbook promotion. Someone had bought a paperback copy and then were able to get the Kindle version for free.

Michele Brouder | website | Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter

Offline AR Marchel

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 10:18:12 AM »
I was curious, so clicked Immortal Book 1 in your signature which brought me to the Amazon.com site. I can buy it for free for Kindle - it's showing as $0.00. I am located in Canada, but I buy ebooks from Amazon.com from time to time. Maybe it detects location through IP address, so is showing me the Canadian free listing? But that would be strange as prices are still listed in USD, not CAD, so it's not like I'm seeing Canadian prices.

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 07:03:34 AM »
Looks like it just flipped to free in the US. If anyone's keeping track, it took five days to price-match Kobo on the US site. Also, Immortal is free through the 19th at least, if you're interested.

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2017, 05:25:29 AM »
well, this has been an interesting couple of days for rank-watching and what-not.

Currently, Immortal is featured as a Free book on Kobo in all of their territories, meaning they're promoting it actively. (It's just on a list of free books for the week, but that's not nothing.) Yesterday morning, Amazon price-matched it in the US, after doing the same in other territories since Monday, when the promos began.

Today, with promotional support, Kobo has moved under 200 copies for the week. (11/13 to 11/17. I don't believe I have data yet from 11/18.) Meanwhile, since Amazon flipped it to free in the US yesterday morning, it's moved 287 copies in one day (11/17) and another 44 so far this morning. Literally no promotion behind the Amazon freebie, aside from my dropping a note on my author page on facebook.

Since I've never put a full-length novel up for free before (I had a permafree novella running for a while, but I stopped that over a year ago) this is all sort of new to me. One thing: the free side of Amazon must be pretty small, because in the US, right now, the book is ranked #544 overall on the free list.

All of this has me wondering how much the promotional sites actually do for a book. Granted, I'm not a newbie author, but 330+ downloads in 24 hours with no promotion on Amazon has me thinking the system self-promotes pretty well.

Offline Seneca42

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2017, 06:51:53 AM »
are you running AMS ads?

the AMS system (last time I used it) treats free books quite well (probably because they get a lot of clicks).

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2017, 07:14:11 AM »
are you running AMS ads?

the AMS system (last time I used it) treats free books quite well (probably because they get a lot of clicks).

Nope. No ads at all.

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2017, 04:15:46 PM »
My accidental free long weekend is heading for 1200 downloads by the end of Sunday night. As I write this, it's 1177 free downloads on Amazon for the week, with 287 on Friday, 306 on Saturday, and 454 so far on Sunday. Overall rank is #221 right now.

Not doing this to brag, just making me wonder if it's worth it to throw money at promo sites (other than BookBub.)

Offline PhoenixS

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2017, 05:33:19 PM »
Our virgin freebies usually do well. I never run promo the first day I set them free on a 5-day Select run just to make sure they go free on time and there are no glitches. We had a virgin freebie hit in the Top 100 two or three weeks ago on Day 1 without *scheduled* promo. However, a lot of folk likely had it on pricewatch sites, waiting for the price to drop, so they jumped on it when it did, plus a number of sites that we can't buy ads for promote virgin freebies automatically -- so those sites picked the book up too. I suspect the same happened with yours. Occasionally, one of our books will hit the Top 100 Free on Day 1 without promo the second time it goes on a free run. That used to happen a lot more often in the past than it does these days, though.

But just as it takes more sales to push a book up the ranks the higher up the ranks a book gets, it takes more downloads to push a freebie up those last couple of hundred ranks. In fact, while it takes fewer downloads than sales to hit the equivalent rank on the freebie side up until about a rank of #150 to #200, better than that it takes about the same number of sales and downloads to hit the same relative ranks between about #10 and #150.

Our freebie that hit in the Top 100 without promo on Day 1 would have started losing rank on Day 2 or 3 without some boosting by the ad sites. That book wound up with a best rank of #19 with a total of 14,584 freeloads. I attribute probably 12,000 of those downloads to the 10 stacked promo sites I used Days 2-5 (plus any additional unscheduled ad sites picking it up pro bono). No BookBub for that free run.

The virgin title we have running free right now that did have a BookBub ad was a fairly new release that was published specifically to run free and hadn't been announced and so wasn't on any pricewatch lists. It had about 400 freeloads on Day 1, the day before its BookBub ad (BB was the only thing I scheduled for it -- I'll do a non-BB, stacked-ad promo for it late next month).

I've managed close to 300 free runs with right at 3 million freebies given away, so I've got a pretty good handle on what it takes to move freebies in our catalog and just how many I can count on each of my go-to ad sites to move. Also what to expect post-free. And, yeah, I still use the dozen or so promo sites I've found effective for our catalog. But I don't usually waste money on the less-effective sites. ;)

Offline GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2017, 07:14:35 PM »
Our virgin freebies usually do well. I never run promo the first day I set them free on a 5-day Select run just to make sure they go free on time and there are no glitches. We had a virgin freebie hit in the Top 100 two or three weeks ago on Day 1 without *scheduled* promo. However, a lot of folk likely had it on pricewatch sites, waiting for the price to drop, so they jumped on it when it did, plus a number of sites that we can't buy ads for promote virgin freebies automatically -- so those sites picked the book up too. I suspect the same happened with yours. Occasionally, one of our books will hit the Top 100 Free on Day 1 without promo the second time it goes on a free run. That used to happen a lot more often in the past than it does these days, though.

But just as it takes more sales to push a book up the ranks the higher up the ranks a book gets, it takes more downloads to push a freebie up those last couple of hundred ranks. In fact, while it takes fewer downloads than sales to hit the equivalent rank on the freebie side up until about a rank of #150 to #200, better than that it takes about the same number of sales and downloads to hit the same relative ranks between about #10 and #150.

Our freebie that hit in the Top 100 without promo on Day 1 would have started losing rank on Day 2 or 3 without some boosting by the ad sites. That book wound up with a best rank of #19 with a total of 14,584 freeloads. I attribute probably 12,000 of those downloads to the 10 stacked promo sites I used Days 2-5 (plus any additional unscheduled ad sites picking it up pro bono). No BookBub for that free run.

The virgin title we have running free right now that did have a BookBub ad was a fairly new release that was published specifically to run free and hadn't been announced and so wasn't on any pricewatch lists. It had about 400 freeloads on Day 1, the day before its BookBub ad (BB was the only thing I scheduled for it -- I'll do a non-BB, stacked-ad promo for it late next month).

I've managed close to 300 free runs with right at 3 million freebies given away, so I've got a pretty good handle on what it takes to move freebies in our catalog and just how many I can count on each of my go-to ad sites to move. Also what to expect post-free. And, yeah, I still use the dozen or so promo sites I've found effective for our catalog. But I don't usually waste money on the less-effective sites. ;)

This is cool info, especially because the term 'virgin freebie' is my new favorite thing.