KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Mastodon - the social network, not the band  (Read 1111 times)  

Offline Ros_Jackson

• View Profile
Mastodon - the social network, not the band
« on: November 14, 2017, 09:14:55 AM »
For all of you who should be writing, but just need to get in a bit more procrastinating first...

There seems to be a bit of a social media exodus in motion, at least amongst bookish Twitter. The new site(s) on the block: Mastodon. It's fairly complex to get to grips with, but it's like a cross between Twitter and email, and a bit of something else.

You join an "instance", and the people who run that are responsible for the tone, moderation, and themes. So in that sense it's a bit like joining a forum where you get used to the moderation of that area, but that forum is also connected to the rest of the Mastodon instances, or several of them. Chuck Wendig has an interesting blog on his thoughts on the service: http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2017/11/14/toot-toot-mother[expletive]er-early-thoughts-on-mastodon/

I'm still figuring out how it all works.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 09:26:00 AM by Ros_Jackson »

Ros Jackson | author website | blog | twitter | goodreads

Offline Cassie Leigh

• View Profile
Re: Mastodon
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 10:48:28 AM »
I had a friend on Twitter announce they'd moved over to it, but honestly the idea of one more social platform makes me want to gouge my eyes out with a dull spoon. And I think the best way to do it would be to host your own instance, but not sure how to do that or how to keep others from subscribing to that instance. Should be interesting to see where it goes.

8 Pen Names. Genres: Non-fiction, Speculative Fiction, Romance.
Blog

Offline Ian Kharitonov

• View Profile
    • IanKharitonov.com
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 10:57:05 AM »
Thanks for the heads-up. Worth checking out, IMO. For many, Twitter has become an unusable cesspit of bots and trolls.

Offline Mercedes Vox

• View Profile
    • Mercedes Vox - Romance Provocateur
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 11:59:19 AM »
I always sign up for new social platforms (e.g., Ello), even if I have no immediate intention of using them. I don't want someone else ganking my pen name as a user-ID.

Mercedes Vox | Website | Twitter

Romance provocateur. Manic stealth author. Fearless gourmet. An epicurean anarchist relentlessly in pursuit of a foolproof cure for ennui. Committed (thrice).

Offline Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 12:25:44 PM »
I signed up for like 3 Mastadon instances. It feels like an open-source version of Twitter, and they aren't inter-connected?

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 05:52:19 PM »
I thought this thread was going to be about the band.   :-[
            v  v  v   Short Stories   v  v  v                   Anthology       vvv FREE! vvv

Jeff Tanyard | Author Website

Offline Vaalingrade

• View Profile
    • The Descendants
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 06:30:21 PM »
I figure I'll wait for Pterodactyl, Triceratops, Sabretoothed Tiger, Tyrannosaurus and of course Dragonzord.

I swear I'll get in before Zeo though.

AKA: Vaalingrade | Twitter: @ParadoxOmni [I mock the mockable]
The Descendants - An Original Bronze Age Superhero Web Serial

Offline C. Gold

• View Profile
    • Golden Elm Publishing
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 06:49:21 PM »
;D ;D ;D
I watched a video to get over the disappointment ;)

Offline Mercedes Vox

• View Profile
    • Mercedes Vox - Romance Provocateur
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 07:33:34 PM »
I signed up for like 3 Mastadon instances. It feels like an open-source version of Twitter, and they aren't inter-connected?

Yeah, I realized that after I posted. No way I'm jumping into more than one "instance" until I can sign in with one ID and switch at will (such as in Tweetdeck, which Mastadon sort of resembles).

Mercedes Vox | Website | Twitter

Romance provocateur. Manic stealth author. Fearless gourmet. An epicurean anarchist relentlessly in pursuit of a foolproof cure for ennui. Committed (thrice).

Offline The Bass Bagwhan

• Western Australia
  • Horror & Urban Fantasy... I think.
    • View Profile
    • Graeme Hague
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 02:14:24 AM »
Yeah, I realized that after I posted. No way I'm jumping into more than one "instance" until I can sign in with one ID and switch at will (such as in Tweetdeck, which Mastadon sort of resembles).

My brother put me on to Tweetdeck, and it looks good, but I haven't yet gotten serious about. I'm still lining up social media ducks.
But otherwise, Facebook and Twitter seem to weather these incursions from new kids on the social media block. Possibly because major media sources like TV news will quote FB and Twitter material, and draw the line at that. Plus having shareholders means they have to deal with competition, and problems like bots and trolls, whereas fly-by-night alternatives can be overwhelmed and fold. BTW, Personally, I think news services just poaching twitter feeds is the epitome of lazy journalism, but it is what it is...
Author, freelance writer and editor, professional musician, recording engineer... published in Australia, the UK and Germany. So why am I poor? Oh, wait...
I'll be a writer... seemed like a good idea at the time

Offline alawston

• London
  • London-based writer and actor
    • View Profile
    • Andrew K Lawston's intermittent blogular adventures
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 02:22:06 AM »
I figure I'll wait for Pterodactyl, Triceratops, Sabretoothed Tiger, Tyrannosaurus and of course Dragonzord.

I'm holding out for Hell Pig. Still the best title for a book EVER.

Broadly comic writer working across as many genres as he can. Acting done.
Andrew Lawston | Facebook | Twitter

Offline MaddHatter

• MO, USA
    • View Profile
    • http://www.evanmgrant.com
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 06:13:13 AM »

^^THIS

Evan Grant

Offline CoraBuhlert

• Bremen, Germany
    • View Profile
    • Cora Buhlert
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 06:59:34 PM »
I joined because many of my Twitter pals did. Still trying to get a feel for the place.

BTW, has anybody found any indie author communities over there?

Offline Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 04:33:29 AM »
I'm on https://social.tchncs.de/web/getting-started Which would probably work nicely for you, Cora.

I did see two writing-related instances:
https://writing.exchange/web/getting-started
https://bookwitty.social/web/timelines/public/local

Book witty is a version or more behind the current build. I joined both instances, but decided to make my accounts there inactive, and I really only toot from tchncs.de.

If anyone is inclined to follow me on Mastodon, my handle is @Article_94@social.tchncs.de
I joined because many of my Twitter pals did. Still trying to get a feel for the place.

BTW, has anybody found any indie author communities over there?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 06:50:54 AM by Mark Gardner »

Offline Abalone

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2017, 06:31:47 AM »

Online Dragovian

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 01:21:57 PM »

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who sees Mastodon and immediately thinks "Pterodactyl!"

Online spellscribe

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2017, 12:18:12 AM »
I love it so much! Im in wandering.shop which seems to have a large amount of writers and other creatives. It has a similar feel to twitter with the short, mostly text based updates, but the CW feature hides not just triggering content but also rants, politiposts, [crap]posts and more. It gives the feed this super casual, upbeat, buoyant tone. I dont ever want to go back to twitter.

Fantasy and LitRPG author
Amy R. Hopkins | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Saboth

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2017, 09:41:45 AM »

Yeah, I was hoping: "Mastodon is releasing a new album, and is running a contest for writers to come up with a short story that captures the soul of the album. The winner will get a shout out on social media, a ton of merch and a ticket to see them in concert at a venue of their choice."

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2017, 12:06:32 PM »
Yeah, I was hoping: "Mastodon is releasing a new album, and is running a contest for writers to come up with a short story that captures the soul of the album. The winner will get a shout out on social media, a ton of merch and a ticket to see them in concert at a venue of their choice."

Now that would have been pretty awesome.   8)
            v  v  v   Short Stories   v  v  v                   Anthology       vvv FREE! vvv

Jeff Tanyard | Author Website

Offline Ros_Jackson

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2017, 09:25:23 AM »
I love it so much! Im in wandering.shop which seems to have a large amount of writers and other creatives. It has a similar feel to twitter with the short, mostly text based updates, but the CW feature hides not just triggering content but also rants, politiposts, [crap]posts and more. It gives the feed this super casual, upbeat, buoyant tone. I dont ever want to go back to twitter.

I'm also on Wandering Shop, which I'm finding great for writer's chat. It's a bit like the difference between coming from a busy market square where everyone's shouting and yelling, to going to a quiet coffee shop with a group of like-minded friends.

Online shimmering

• Cumbria
    • View Profile
Re: Mastodon - the social network, not the band
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2017, 01:20:52 PM »
It seems a signup only gets you into one "instance". So create a new username/password for each "instance". And you can't see what's inside an "instance" until you've signed up for that particular one. Is this right? Can it be right? Am I missing something?

Well I signed up for one "instance" and tbh couldn't work out what was going on even after seeing the inside. Probably not for me. Oh well. Thanks for the heads up anyway.

Offline Ros_Jackson

• View Profile
Re: Mastodon - the social network, not the band
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2017, 12:40:21 PM »
It seems a signup only gets you into one "instance". So create a new username/password for each "instance". And you can't see what's inside an "instance" until you've signed up for that particular one. Is this right? Can it be right? Am I missing something?

Well I signed up for one "instance" and tbh couldn't work out what was going on even after seeing the inside. Probably not for me. Oh well. Thanks for the heads up anyway.

You click the world symbol to see what's happening in the federated timeline - this appears in the right hand column, and it shows posts from other instances that are connected to that one by dint of someone in your instance following someone else in other instances.

Some instances have a preview screen, where you can see in real time what's going on within them before you sign up, but not all do.