KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: References in non-fiction  (Read 115 times)  

Online rapprocher

• Toronto, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Peter Ash
References in non-fiction
« on: November 14, 2017, 11:21:43 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm writing a non-fiction, personal development book, most of which is based around my own experience and learning. I do however want to reference some academic and other published work, and am wondering what is the best format for references? In University I used APA for my papers, but wondering if that's appropriate for a book?

Thanks for your ideas!
Currently writing my first book, follow along here: http://www.peterwrites.ca/ and http://www.twitter.com/peterashwrites/

Offline LilyBLily

• View Profile
Re: References in non-fiction
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 12:24:02 PM »
Compare how other books on your non-fiction topic handle them.

My thoughts: Probably best to use Chicago, which is the gold standard for trade books. Regardless, don't use the almost unreadable NIH abbreviations; spell out journal names so a general audience can look them up as needed.

Offline ilamont

• Mass.
    • View Profile
    • In 30 Minutes Guides Official Site
Re: References in non-fiction
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 12:31:00 PM »
Unless the tone and target audience is academic, I would not use academic-style citations.

Endnotes or a standard bibliography are typical for many nonfiction books targeting a business or general audience. For instance, I am looking at a business book right now that uses endnotes broken up by chapter. The citations a mix of standard bibliographic references for books or magazine articles, but also includes prose descriptions and standalone URLs for Internet sources.