Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.

Author Topic: Home Screen View Question  (Read 532 times)  

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
Home Screen View Question
« on: November 14, 2017, 02:46:18 PM »
Is there no way on the O2 to get a list view in the Home screen instead of covers? I've tried what I think did it on the O1 but can't see that it had any effect much less what I want.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
Re: Home Screen View Question
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 02:49:46 PM »
Is there no way on the O2 to get a list view in the Home screen instead of covers? I've tried what I think did it on the O1 but can't see that it had any effect much less what I want.
You find the list view in the second from right drop down, when you are in library. Where you pick what you see, all items, etc.  You can have grid or list there. Grid being covers. Or do you mean the actual home view, where it shows like 3 covers and suggestions? You can turn that off in settings. Its under device options and go down to advanced options.

eta: was going to add. DOn't forget you also have accessabiltiy now. Its also in settings and 2 of the 3 items might be of interest. One you can invert the screen from black on white to white on black and the other, chosing large over normal, gives you battery percentage and larger list view and larger home view covers. It does also for some reason make the top menus smaller though. Easy to toggle on and off.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 02:54:11 PM by Atunah »

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 02:53:00 PM »
Yes!

So, the default is 'home screen view' which shows covers. But if you page forward from thereyou can see things in either list or grid view. You want to tap the sort option that probably says 'all items' or books'. When you do, you'll see that at the top of that menu, you can choose grid view or list view.

If you want the default home screen view completely disabled, go to settings, all settings, advanced options. On that page the top setting is to toggle home screen view on or off. If you turn it off, the grid or list view thing works the same, you just don't ever see the home screen with covers from your wish lists, or whatever.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 02:56:34 PM »
Thanks, Atunah. I just came back here to say thanks anyway, nevermind, I found it. Don't know that I'd send it back over that, but I might. I don't have the kind of visual mind that wants to see covers. I'm already unhappy over the SO and haven't been playing with it more than half an hour. You'd think I'd know better than to order one with SO by now, but oh, no, every time I tell myself I can live with them.  >:(

Thanks, Ann. I had already done the toggle thing but hadn't hit on the change in the sort menus.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 03:01:09 PM »
I hear you about the special offers. I keep feeling like it shouldn't bother me, but I'm so used to not having them on my Voyage that I find it annoying on the Oasis. Moreso on the older one that has a cover since I open the cover and I still have to swipe to get to where I want to be.

For some reason pushing the button on the new one (no cover yet) is not as annoying except that I'm used to not having to so I'll slip the it out of the cloth case I've been using (doesn't really fit but good enough for the nightstand) and stare at it for 3 or 4 seconds before I remember I have to push the button. :P

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 03:05:16 PM »
I do the same thing, I always buy the special offer ones and then end up paying the $20 to take them off. I did the same this time. Although I did wait for my replacement and made sure everything worked. Its the swipe that starts to annoy me. And at first I kept apparently touching the banner by accident and ended up on the offer. Not something I seem to be doing now that the offers are gone. Maybe they just kept sending me to the offer.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 03:21:17 PM »
The swipe was always my main complaint too, but I don't like the banner on the bottom either. There was also a period when one of mine that had them was showing the cover of some horror novel or something that bothered me every time I saw it. Someone told me I could get rid of any I found offensive, but I got rid of them all instead.;) This one is going to set a record for how fast I pay to get rid of them. It's a sin to have them on something this gorgeous.

Offline kindlecollector

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 11:51:37 AM »
for those who hate the advertising on the sleep page and home page at least on the Kindle you can get rid of it.  The Kobo home page has their buy recommendations with no obvious way to eliminate them I have found.  I keep my touch screen Kindles all in list view as I find the grid or covers view an annoyance too as many covers book titles are not readable in the covers view.

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 06:23:44 PM »
They used to annoy me, but somehow I've gotten used to them on my Paperwhite. Also, as an author, it's interesting to see how others advertise their books.

I'm a little annoyed that some of the advertisements are for non-book items.

However, if I have it in airplane mode for a while, the specific ads go away, and the screens just have pictures with text such as "Discover your next great read."

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter