KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Anyone else get and invite to Google Books?  (Read 564 times)  

Offline geraldmkilby

• Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Afterword
Anyone else get and invite to Google Books?
« on: November 14, 2017, 04:31:46 PM »
I just got an email from Google inviting me to join Google Play Books. It's been so long since I applied I had forgotten. Anyway, I followed the link and sure enough, I signed up.

Most of my books are in KU but I've always kept one out so I could get accounts with Kobo, Apple, D2D, etc. - Just in case I want to go wide.

It looks like Google is finally opening up to new authors. :-)

Offline LilyBLily

• View Profile
Re: Anyone else get and invite to Google Books?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 04:44:56 PM »
Congratulations--I think. Keep us informed. Some people say it's such a small pool you're bound to get noticed. Good luck.

Offline Michael-Allen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 04:59:17 PM »
You can fill out an interest form on their website. Looks like they are accepting a limited amount of new authors potentially.

Offline FelissaEly

• View Profile
    • FrustratedEgo Stories
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 05:03:01 PM »
Yes! One of the more recent posts someone had suggested to write to Google Play support (thank you! Sorry I forgot your name :( ) we did that and a few weeks later they sent an email inviting my husband to the Google Play Partner program, yay! This was actually the day after the Pronoun announcement that they were closing, so... the timing was great!

My husband's published work
Stephan Morse | FrustratedEgo Stories | FrustratedEgo Stories Facebook

Offline Mercedes Vox

• View Profile
    • Mercedes Vox - Romance Provocateur
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 05:05:24 PM »
I wrote to Google on November 9 to explain the Pronoun situation and received a reply within the hour, directing me to the interest form. The invitation to join the partner program arrived in my email today (November 14).

Mercedes Vox | Website | Twitter

Romance provocateur. Manic stealth author. Fearless gourmet. An epicurean anarchist relentlessly in pursuit of a foolproof cure for ennui. Committed (thrice).

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
  • Aussie in the 27th century.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 05:31:36 PM »
I wrote to Google on November 9 to explain the Pronoun situation and received a reply within the hour, directing me to the interest form. The invitation to join the partner program arrived in my email today (November 14).

Ditto.

Now I have to come to grips with all the work to put my books back on there.

Offline juliatheswede

• NYC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 05:56:48 PM »
I got an invitation to join yesterday (November 12). Very excited!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 06:02:29 PM by juliatheswede »

Offline ParkerAvrile

• View Profile
    • Parker Avrile's Steamy Gay ROmance
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 05:59:54 PM »
Yes, I received my invitation on the day Pronoun announced they were closing. As of today, my first Google direct books are in the store. There's a review process that was more time-consuming than I expected but otherwise everything's looking good.
Visit my website for free reads & giveaways for lovers of steamy m/m romance https://parkeravrile.wordpress.com/blog/

Offline geraldmkilby

• Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Afterword
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 03:20:13 AM »
Looks like Google is rolling this out to new authors again. This is great news, as the more competition in the ebook publishing market the better.

So far it has just been the Zon and Apple, with the rest quite a way behind in terms of market share. With Google now getting their act together there is less chance of the Zon snagging the entire market for themselves. Don't get me wrong, I love the Zon, it pays my bills. But more competition means less likelihood of author commission rates dropping. Ultimately, assuming Google actually get their act together, it means more opportunity for going wide, meaning less downward pressure on page read payouts. The Zon will want to keep those authors happy.

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
  • Aussie in the 27th century.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 04:58:37 AM »
With Google now getting their act together

No, its not that.

Google suddenly realized they were about to lose thousands of books out of their catalogue. Maybe even tens of thousands. All gone overnight.

Which would most like gut them like a fish.

So they are now reaching out to the authors who's books they want to keep.

Online TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 05:12:42 AM »
Google have been responding to authors for some months now, that I'm aware of. You send in an email, ask to be put on the list. A few days/weeks later you get an invite and you're in. The first book takes a bit of time to be approved, after that they slip them in like fish into water. I have noticed that all the aggregators have been putting themselves out to take up the slack from Pronoun and it's really good to see them working to keep the authors in the game. Let's hope that Pronoun are the only victims and that the remaining platforms have their ducks in a row because I have the distinct feeling that things are going to be more fluid over the next few years.

Tobias Roote | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline geraldmkilby

• Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Afterword
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 05:26:04 AM »
Google suddenly realized they were about to lose thousands of books out of their catalogue. Maybe even tens of thousands. All gone overnight.

Which would most like gut them like a fish.

So they are now reaching out to the authors who's books they want to keep.

Good point. I didn't use Pronoun so I didn't realize that Google was one of their distributors. But I can see how that would cause them a bit of panic.

Offline ParkerAvrile

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 05:41:22 AM »
A question: Someone upstream said that only their first book took a long time to be reviewed. I switched over a couple of books pretty much the day of Pronoun closing down/Google issuing the invitation, and they were not live again until yesterday, and only after I reminded them their original email said the new account review would take 5 days. At which time I moved over another book. Got a message it will be in policy review for 7 days.

Really? Is this going to happen every time? Even though the book was ALREADY being distributed on Google via Pronoun? Is this because it's a gay title, or is everybody going through this? I have dozens of titles, and it's going to take a long time to make the switch if they have to angst about it for a week every single time.

As for whether Pronoun shut down because they heard Google was going to open again or whether Google opened again because they heard Pronoun was going to be yanking a metric ton of titles... it's chicken and eggs... for me, I heard from both parties in the same 24 hours so I don't know or care who started it. Obviously I would be delighted to go direct but I would also appreciate any tips about how to avoid all these nuisance delays.
Visit my website for free reads & giveaways for lovers of steamy m/m romance https://parkeravrile.wordpress.com/blog/

Offline JTriptych

• View Profile
    • facebook
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 06:45:32 AM »
Yup, got the invite too but since I now live in the 3rd world I have to figure out how to switch the dashboard into English...  :-[

Online TobiasRoote

• Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 06:59:21 AM »
Yup, got the invite too but since I now live in the 3rd world I have to figure out how to switch the dashboard into English...  :-[

Haha!! :D Me too. I use a VPN a lot of the time that puts me in the USA, but the google translate (in Chrome) does a good job of it as well.

Tobias Roote | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Offline ParkerAvrile

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 09:13:17 AM »
Even with the dashboard in English, it isn't always clear what they're after, although I assume all becomes clear after you've done it a few times.