KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Pricing for Illustrated Novel?  (Read 559 times)  

Offline Kal241

• Things are never what they seem
    • View Profile
Pricing for Illustrated Novel?
« on: November 14, 2017, 06:09:19 PM »
So my manuscript is pretty much ready now. 119,203 words, 47 chapters, with a full-page black and white, hand-drawn illustration every chapter. What would be a good price for this?

An artist and a writer combined into one being. When you work with Kal, you get a 2-4-1 deal!  

Check out my artistry at: http://kal241.deviantart.com/
Writing samples of mine will be made available upon request.

Online Azalea Ellis

• View Profile
    • Azalea Ellis-Science Fiction and Fantasy
Re: Pricing for Illustrated Novel?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 06:58:26 PM »
What genre?

Without knowing the details, I'd suggest $4.99. That's what I price at (140k words), and it treats me well. I'm not rich yet, but I'm seriously considering quitting my day job. It might be hard to start out much higher than that, because while the illustrations do add value, it's the story that will draw readers.

The illustrations are a bonus. Though they take time to produce, and you want to get a return on your investment, readers new to your book/series/penname probably won't care. If they want to read the book, the illustrations are a cool addition. If they don't, illustrations won't convince them to buy.

Offline Kal241

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 07:00:26 PM »
What genre?
Military sci-fi, with a lot of thriller elements thrown in there.

An artist and a writer combined into one being. When you work with Kal, you get a 2-4-1 deal!  

Offline AugFul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 07:15:46 PM »
I think there are those who really appreciate illustrated novels and don't mind paying more for them if they are done well. Having 47 illustrations is a decent amount and 120,000 words is a good length. $5.99 would not be unreasonable.

Offline Kal241

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 07:26:45 PM »
I think there are those who really appreciate illustrated novels and don't mind paying more for them if they are done well. Having 47 illustrations is a decent amount and 120,000 words is a good length. $5.99 would not be unreasonable.

Agreed. Thanks for the input. As far as being "done well," I have a semi-realistic style that is mixed with manga, resulting in pictures like this (not sure if that counts as "good"):

« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 07:30:59 PM by Kal241 »

Offline Gentleman Zombie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 07:31:54 PM »
Can you post a link or send me an email when this goes live? I'm interested in reading.

Offline Kal241

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 07:33:32 PM »
Can you post a link or send me an email when this goes live? I'm interested in reading.

Certainly! =3

Offline AugFul

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 10:04:55 PM »
Nice. I like the sample illustration. Very detailed. That's going to be some book. Good luck with it.

Offline Kal241

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 01:23:22 PM »
Nice. I like the sample illustration. Very detailed. That's going to be some book. Good luck with it.

Thanks!

Offline Kat M

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 04:28:02 PM »
That's a hell of a lot of work!I second the $5.99 suggestion. It's what I price my books over 100K at and I don't have any illustrations. I dig the illustration you posted, by the way.

Offline Pacman

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • Leo Nix
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 06:01:33 PM »
Kal, that's fantastic artwork, I wonder what the download price Amazon might charge, does anyone know?

I second "I want to read it too!"

post-apocalypse anyone?
Leo Nix | web

Offline Kal241

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 06:42:17 PM »
That's a hell of a lot of work! I second the $5.99 suggestion. It's what I price my books over 100K at and I don't have any illustrations. I dig the illustration you posted, by the way.

Thanks! I wasn't sure if 4-5.99 was too high, but if it's working for others, it might work for me, too. Glad you like my artwork!

Kal, that's fantastic artwork, I wonder what the download price Amazon might charge, does anyone know?

I second "I want to read it too!"

Thanks so much! That particular one took me two months, thanks to a lack of free time.

I'm curious to know whether it would affect the download pricing. I hadn't considered that.

I'll add you to my list of interested parties =3

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
    • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2017, 09:01:12 AM »
What genre?

Without knowing the details, I'd suggest $4.99. That's what I price at (140k words), and it treats me well.... It might be hard to start out much higher than that, because while the illustrations do add value, it's the story that will draw readers.

The illustrations are a bonus. Though they take time to produce, and you want to get a return on your investment, readers new to your book/series/penname probably won't care. If they want to read the book, the illustrations are a cool addition. If they don't, illustrations won't convince them to buy.

All very true. Indeed, for a rank beginner, I'd seriously think of $3.99. That's a penny less than a hot chocolate, and 49 cents more than a coffee, at the Sundeck on Aspen Mountain.
Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Offline veinglory

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2017, 09:38:48 AM »
It depends a bit on how it effects your base price and delivery fees.

Offline Kal241

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 04:44:17 PM »
All very true. Indeed, for a rank beginner, I'd seriously think of $3.99. That's a penny less than a hot chocolate, and 49 cents more than a coffee, at the Sundeck on Aspen Mountain.

It depends a bit on how it effects your base price and delivery fees.

Thanks for the info guys!

Offline Puddleduck

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2017, 10:34:04 AM »
You seem to be working under the assumption that the illustrations add value to the novel. The value of things like that is in the eye of the reader. I'm sure some readers would like it. Others won't. Some people don't want the picture in their head intruded upon by illustrations popping up. They certainly won't want to pay extra for the privilege.

I would say: price it as if it was not illustrated. With things like this, the illustrations are something you do for you. You do them because you like them and you want to show your readers with your art as well as your words what they should be picturing in their head. And that's fine. But don't expect all readers to see it the same way, so don't price it as if you expect them to. (That said, I think you're fine at $4.99 or maybe even more.)

Also, I would encourage you to also offer a non-illustrated version, at the same price, for those readers who would strongly prefer not to have their reading experience interrupted by art that they may or may not like the style of.

Online shimmering

• Cumbria
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2017, 12:00:22 PM »
Delivery fees can become a big deal with so many big pictures. 47 is a lot of big pictures. I'd definitely find out the filesize and delivery cost before making a decision about what to do. You may want to make the ebook text only and put out an illustrated paperback edition --- as you are working in b/w this simplifies matters when dealing with createspace at least as there is no distinction between a b/w illustrated page and a b/w text page from a cost/setup point of view.

Offline Puddleduck

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2017, 02:59:42 PM »
Delivery fees can become a big deal with so many big pictures. 47 is a lot of big pictures. I'd definitely find out the filesize and delivery cost before making a decision about what to do. You may want to make the ebook text only and put out an illustrated paperback edition --- as you are working in b/w this simplifies matters when dealing with createspace at least as there is no distinction between a b/w illustrated page and a b/w text page from a cost/setup point of view.

That's a really good point. If you do go ahead with an e-book version and the illustrations cause much higher delivery fees (which are all crap anyway and I can't believe we all still put up with them... oh wait, we have no choice), then I'd say that would be a reason to charge more for the illustrated e-book than a non-illustrated version, but I might note that reason somewhere on the books' pages in case people wonder.

Offline daringnovelist

• Camille LaGuire
    • View Profile
    • Camille LaGuire
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2017, 10:12:57 PM »
It's hard to say whether people would pay more for an illustrated ebook if it's not 1) an author/series they know or 2) a graphic novel. The prices people have been quoting sound reasonable, though.

If the illustrations are black and white, and so detailed, you should consider a paperback edition.  Black and white wouldn't cost more to print, and people who like illos do like paper. They tend to be collectors.

Camille

Offline Kal241

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2017, 10:02:23 AM »
It's hard to say whether people would pay more for an illustrated ebook if it's not 1) an author/series they know or 2) a graphic novel. The prices people have been quoting sound reasonable, though.

If the illustrations are black and white, and so detailed, you should consider a paperback edition.  Black and white wouldn't cost more to print, and people who like illos do like paper. They tend to be collectors.

Camille

I am indeed doing black and white illustrations, and my original vision was paperback, since I really dislike ebooks.

Good points there!

You seem to be working under the assumption that the illustrations add value to the novel. The value of things like that is in the eye of the reader. I'm sure some readers would like it. Others won't. Some people don't want the picture in their head intruded upon by illustrations popping up. They certainly won't want to pay extra for the privilege.

I would say: price it as if it was not illustrated. With things like this, the illustrations are something you do for you. You do them because you like them and you want to show your readers with your art as well as your words what they should be picturing in their head. And that's fine. But don't expect all readers to see it the same way, so don't price it as if you expect them to. (That said, I think you're fine at $4.99 or maybe even more.)

Also, I would encourage you to also offer a non-illustrated version, at the same price, for those readers who would strongly prefer not to have their reading experience interrupted by art that they may or may not like the style of.

Whether the audience thinks so or not, illustrations in fiction meant for adults appears once in a blue moon. It's rare, especially in the numbers I've produced, so it does add some degree of value. Yes, there are some out there who dislike illustrations, some of whom are people who want to imagine my characters and locations however they want.

I didn't think of a non-illustrated version, though. Thanks for the idea!

Online ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2017, 12:19:14 PM »
Whether the audience thinks so or not, illustrations in fiction meant for adults appears once in a blue moon. It's rare, especially in the numbers I've produced, so it does add some degree of value. Yes, there are some out there who dislike illustrations, some of whom are people who want to imagine my characters and locations however they want.

In a case like this, where you're asking people to pay for a product, all that matters is what the audience thinks. If a reader doesn't like illustrated novels, then illustrations, no matter how many there are, add no degree of value to that reader, and they probably aren't going to be inclined to pay extra for illustrations that they don't want.

Offline Kal241

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2017, 12:36:30 PM »
In a case like this, where you're asking people to pay for a product, all that matters is what the audience thinks. If a reader doesn't like illustrated novels, then illustrations, no matter how many there are, add no degree of value to that reader, and they probably aren't going to be inclined to pay extra for illustrations that they don't want.

I believe it was someone here who said, "If a reader doesn't like your work, odds are they aren't your target audience."

I've done some poll-testing, and haven't come across a single potential reader who thought illustrations were a negative, but I know there are some out there, hence why I'm considering a non-illustrated version as well.

A reader has the right to refuse whatever they like. If they don't want to buy my novel, they don't have to.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 12:38:22 PM by Kal241 »

Online ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2017, 01:03:16 PM »
I believe it was someone here who said, "If a reader doesn't like your work, odds are they aren't your target audience."

A reader might very well like your story, but just not want to pay extra for illustrations. Just because they don't want to pay extra for illustrations doesn't mean they can't be your audience. A non-illustrated version sounds like a good plan.