Author Topic: Erotica now showing as Sponsored Products in AMS?  (Read 1464 times)  

icarusxx

Erotica now showing as Sponsored Products in AMS?
« on: November 14, 2017, 08:14:07 PM »
How is it that blatant erotica is now showing as Sponsored Products in AMS, when it's explicitly against Content Guidelines, and yet other erotica seems to still be banned from AMS? Is there a change in Amazon policy underway? Or are there differences between the erotica showing as Sponsored Products and other erotica? I can't see any differences and it's a puzzle to me. If anyone has any ideas about this, please respond.

Online LMareeApps

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • L Maree Apps - Contemporary Erotic Romance... not your nana's bedtime stories...
Re: Erotica now showing as Sponsored Products in AMS?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 08:17:53 PM »
Only works categorised as Erotica get blocked from AMS ads.  Erotic Romance and other Genres with erotic content don't get blocked.  Erotica is its own genre with its own conventions.  Nearly every genre can contain works with graphic sex scenes - that doesn't make those stories Erotica.

icarusxx

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 08:31:21 PM »
Only works categorised as Erotica get blocked from AMS ads.  Erotic Romance and other Genres with erotic content don't get blocked.  Erotica is its own genre with its own conventions.  Nearly every genre can contain works with graphic sex scenes - that doesn't make those stories Erotica.

How does a book titled It Hurts, Daddy or something equivalent, with raw sex on nearly every page, qualify as "not erotica"? If you search for "erotic blahblah" you can find many of the books categorized by Amazon as "erotic blahblah" in AMS. I don't understand it. I hear what you're saying but I don't understand what I'm seeing. The same is true not only for "erotic blahblah" but also for books categorized as "erotica" by Amazon.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 08:50:05 PM by Modi Gliani »

Offline Going Incognito

• It's always the quiet ones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 08:50:38 PM »
Huh, you're right. I see them, too. Books in the erotica cats and in the sponsored ads. Maybe they've lifted the 'no erotica' ban?

Offline Dragovian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 11:53:34 PM »
When did Zon stop banning erotica that used "Daddy" in the title?  :o

I've doubled my writing speed by playing on 4theWords. Come give it a try! My referral code is PFXBS32680.

Offline Going Incognito

• It's always the quiet ones...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 12:03:22 AM »
When did Zon stop banning erotica that used "Daddy" in the title?  :o

Maybe when they designed PageFlip? Maybe now that they don't have to actually count or pay they dont mind readers actually being able to find the dirty stuff?

Online LMareeApps

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • L Maree Apps - Contemporary Erotic Romance... not your nana's bedtime stories...
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 01:52:49 AM »
Huh, you're right. I see them, too. Books in the erotica cats and in the sponsored ads. Maybe they've lifted the 'no erotica' ban?

That would be nice.  If it's only a few ads though it could be that the books were in non-erotica categories when the ad was set up, then moved to the erotica category.  If that happens, you can't create new ads, but the existing one keeps serving - though I don't know for how long. 

Online Gentleman Zombie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 08:16:46 AM »

Offline Herefortheride

• Chengdu
  • Loving every minute
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 08:18:25 AM »
I saw that cringe-worthy Daddy it hurts or whatever too. It actually bothered me a bit.

If I see it again I'll email Amazon.
Havenglade Mysteries (Book 1) developmental editing: 75%

Daughter of Dragons(DoH book4) prologue and chapter one: 17%

world-building and conlang for new series: 1%
H.C. Harrington

Offline dgcasey

• Las Vegas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 01:50:32 PM »
I saw that cringe-worthy Daddy it hurts or whatever too. It actually bothered me a bit.

If I see it again I'll email Amazon.

I'm with you. We don't need that crap showing up in the AMS ads and I especially don't want them showing up on one of my book's pages.
The Wrath - The Chronicles of Wyndweir Book #2 (gone to editor): 100%

Crossing The Veil (July Camp NaNoWriMo): 37%

Brownies & Bullets: 20%
I shall destroy everything you love and then rip your beating heart from your chest! Yeah? Bring it jackass!
D Glenn Casey | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com

Offline DanAmongDen

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 07:46:06 AM »
I've also been seeing this, and I have the same questions. However, here's an example that seems irrefutable.

The book is Emma Plum Shorts Box Set, by Emma Plum. It's listed as
#4376 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Erotica > Urban
#4449 in Books > Literature & Fiction > Erotica > Urban
#19743 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Erotica > Romantic Erotica

So, I think it qualifies as Erotica.

I saw it in the AMS Sponsored product ads for The Cabin Wife: A Hotwife Fantasy by Jason Lenov. It's listed as
#7 in Books > Literature & Fiction > Erotica > Interracial
#8 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Erotica > Interracial
#15 in Books > Literature & Fiction > Erotica > Urban

So I think it also qualifies as Erotica.

Personally, I don't see any problem with Erotica advertising on other Erotica, but my understanding was that it wasn't allowed via AMS. Perhaps that has changed. Does anyone have any similar examples of Erotica showing up on non-Erotica pages?

-Dan

Offline RBN

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2017, 09:01:42 AM »
My erotica titles are still labeled in AMS with "This book is ineligible to advertise on Amazon dot com" and are unable to be selected during campaign creation. Unless there's a beta program for erotica through AMS that I haven't heard a peep about in umpteen circles where there are few secrets, somebody's put forth a scheme to miscategorize, get ads approved, then recategorize as erotica.

As far as I've heard, the only reason they force-stop an ad is if the book is no longer in the store. They'll run until they get caught, and Amazon doesn't even know to look for them yet.

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac