Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.

Author Topic: New Oasis - waterproof feature....  (Read 371 times)  

Offline mishymac

• View Profile
New Oasis - waterproof feature....
« on: November 15, 2017, 04:00:24 PM »
I've just got my hands on my new oasis, so far loving it! I feel it's considerably bigger than my original oasis, but love the extra screen size.

My question is - I thought it was supposed to be waterproof, as in I can be happy to sit in the pool/bath and read and not be too concerned, but when reading the booklet it came with and the website it feels a little contradictory.....

"your kindle has been tested to withstand brief accidental immersion in water under certain conditions. However, your kindle is not intended for underwater use and may experience temporary effects from exposure to water"

and on the website terms and conditions it says

"We designed your Kindle Oasis to be waterproof. It meets the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) Standard 60529 rating of IPX8 and can withstand immersion in up to 2 meters of fresh water for up to 60 minutes. In addition, weve tested your Kindle to withstand exposure to water in many popular places to read. If your Kindle gets accidentally dropped in a bath tub, hot tub, the pool, splashed by the ocean at the beach, or otherwise exposed to water, quickly retrieve it and follow the care instructions below."

Is anyone else concerned by this or am I not understanding?

Offline kindlecollector

• View Profile
Re: New Oasis - waterproof feature....
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 04:21:20 PM »
I read it as being designed to survive brief splashes and immersion in FRESH water but requiring drying out per instructions if it happens.  Any other Kindle reader model would self destruct from even the briefest immersion or potentially even a good splash onto the screen or into the USB port, or on the switches on the older models with keyboards and switches.  I suspect that nothing with a capacitive touch screen will be operable when actually submerged in water without being in a waterproof case of some type.  I could be wrong about the last though.

Offline TwistedPenguin

• View Profile
Re: New Oasis - waterproof feature....
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 09:25:38 PM »
I cant count the times I dropped my Kindle Keyboard in the lake while reading on a raft :-( I'd let it dry  overnight and it was always back to normal the next day.