Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: EPUB & MP3  (Read 647 times)  

Offline cko1xxxx

• View Profile
EPUB & MP3
« on: November 16, 2017, 05:21:32 AM »
Why doesn't Kindle support EPUB for reading and MP3 for listening?  These are standards and should be supported. >:(

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
Re: EPUB & MP3
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 05:30:29 AM »
Because it doesn't. And, frankly, it doesn't have to.

That sounds snippy but, really, there's no other reason.

The kindle format is based on .mobi (also a standard) and there's no good reason for Amazon to switch or to make it's Ereaders compatible with a format that it doesn't sell.

As to audible, though I have no personal experience or knowledge, I suspect it's a similar reason: "Audible" books need an "Audible" player because they're in "Audible" format, and there's no reason for them to make the player compatible with other formats that they don't sell.

I'll also note that, though Kindle only supports amazon formats, and the Oasis17 only supports audible formats, the Fire line from amazon allows you to load apps. So although it comes with the ability to do kindle books and audible books out of the box, it's dead easy to add apps to support epub and other audio file formats. And, of course, non-amazon devices -- phones, tablets, etc., whether android or apple based -- can also be used for any format with the appropriate apps installed.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline KimberlyinMN

• NW Minnesota
  • Kindle Voyage Wi-Fi
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 06:05:04 AM »
The main reason is because Amazon sells Kindle books. If they allowed other formats, then people probably won't buy as many Kindle books. I think that's why Kindles are relatively inexpensive (or some models are). Once you buy the Kindle, you'll most likely want to read something with it... and therefore you'll buy Kindle books.

As for Audible, well... Amazon owns Audible. Basically their reasoning is probably the same as above.

Offline kindlecollector

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 11:31:20 AM »
Most sellers that offer EPUB format books also offer MOBI versions and the Kindle can read MOBI with no problem.  I have downloaded MOBI format ebooks to my computer and then cross loaded them to the Kindle and the KOBO via a USB cable.  You can also email them to your Kindle via it's email address which puts them in your Amazon cloud collection, allowing download to all your devices.  MOBI is also supported by KOBO so is supported by the two commonest E-readers now sold in the USA.  EPUB is supported by the Barnes and Noble Nook ereaders and the Kobo but the two together do not match Kindle market share in the USA.  There are multiple free services to convert between MOBI and EPUB either via on-line converters or by downloading Calibre, a free utility that can handle conversions between multiple formats.

Note that purchased  books from Kindle,  B&N or KOBO are probably protected and you may be violating their terms of service by removing the protection and converting to another format.  With ebooks from the ereader sellers you are NOT buying the book but the rights to read it for personal or family use.

Offline mikeschr

• Portland, OR
  • DX, K4, KTouch, PW, Oasis
    • View Profile
    • OTR Comedy
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 03:26:11 PM »
The older Kindles with audio, up to the Touch, support mp3.

Offline northofdivision

• Chicago
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 10:30:24 PM »
Companies all have their annoying format loyalties (lookin at you, Apple!). The majority of people couldn't care less because they stay in an ecosystem and will never leave. But i hear you, flexibility is a really nice option for the user. The Godsend that Calibre is makes EPUB/MOBI/AZW3 etc differentiation a non-issue, fortunately. I have all my epubs and mobi's cross converted and I can swap files from Kobos to Kindles with ease. As for the .MP3 files, i'd agree, it would be very easy to give that feature to the user but most Kindle users want to leave all and just have it read books.
Stanley
=====
Blackberry KeyOne, Ipad Air2
Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis
Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Aura One 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline Sedatedlife

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 10:44:09 PM »
Simple answer capitalism like all corporations they want to keep there customers buying there products only.

Offline kindlecollector

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 10:12:44 AM »
If you do not mind reading on a tablet then you can download apps to handle EPUB books on a Kindle tablet.  Lose the e-ink display though.  I believe the Kindle tablets also are MP3 compatible.   The last Kindle e-reader that did MP3 files was the Kindle Touch, available used from Amazon and Ebay for prices under $40 last I checked.  Several programs and online services are available to convert unprotected files between EPUB and MOBI.  As for the Kindle e-reader handling EPUB files natively, Amazon introduced the Kindle to help sell their ebooks in their store per my understanding and seeing as how they do not sell them in EPUB format they see no need to support it.  Also why they offer free reader applications for all common computers and operating systems.  The Ap is free but most of the books are not.  Most independent sellers of ebooks offer both EPUB and MOBI versions as do free ebook sites.  With Amazon's file conversion service the Kindle is actually quite versatile regarding the file formats that can be read without using Calibre or other file conversion programs.

Kobo e-readers do EPUB, MOBI, PDF, RTF and TXT files natively.  No MP3 support though.  The NOOK only does EPUB and PDF per the info I have.

Online Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Time for Pi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 02:18:35 PM »
If you do not mind reading on a tablet then you can download apps to handle EPUB books on a Kindle tablet

minor clarification avoid confusion: Amazon now only uses "Kindle" to refer only to the eInk reader line -- Kindle, Paperwhite, Voyage, and Oasis.

Amazon tablets are referred to as "Fire" -- they no longer use even "Kindle Fire" as they did initially (and which caused confusion).

So, really, there's no such thing as a "Kindle tablet". :)

But there ARE apps for the Fire that will allow you to read ePub formatted books.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online HappyGuy

• Central FL
  • With God, nothing is enough for anything.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 05:22:59 AM »
The Fire, for several years, has been my first choice of reader. I finally had to get a Paper white when I retired and started going to our community pool ... Fire, being back lit like your cell phone doesn't show up so well in bright sunlight. The weight difference never really bothers me.
"From the lips of infants and children you have ordained praise..." Psalms 8:2

Member 342

Offline kindlecollector

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 10:46:09 PM »
Sorry if this is old news.  I did a search of the old posts and did not turn up anything.

I suspect that this is not officially Amazon supported but it works as I just tried it.  Take a unprotected .EPUB file and rename it to .PNG.  Email it to a Kindle E-reader with "convert" in the email title.  Amazon will convert it to a readable Kindle AZW3 format.  I just tried it with two book files, sent to my Kindle Voyage running firmware version 5.8.11.  Total size about 3 MB as sent and they arrived in the Voyage in about a minute or less.  Total size of the converted files only about 1/3 the original EPUB files.  There seem to be limitations such as the original cover not being shown in Grid view and one of the books had the title page shown in very oversized font, spread over multiple pages, but the choices of font type, size and bolding for the book text are supported per a quick check.  Once the book is opened the original cover is in the file and can be seen by paging back from the opening page.  Hooking up USB to the Kindle and checking, each converted file shows up as two items, a .AZW3 file and a folder with a small .SDR file in it.  Both are in the Documents folder on the Kindle e-reader.

There is a whole thread from earlier this year on Mobile Read Forums discussing it.  Looks to me like a quick and dirty method of converting .EPUB files for the Kindle and simultaneously getting them into Amazon cloud storage.  Hope that Amazon continues to support this.   Probably get the same basic effect by using Calibre to convert EPUB to MOBI and then sending to Kindle with "convert" in the subject line.

I am now about 40% through the first book and so far the text conversion is totally clean.  Not a single hiccup encountered in the conversion that I have spotted, with the exception of the items noted above.  Cleaner than a MOBI file I cross loaded to a Kobo Mini.

Offline Meemo

• NW Florida
  • KB Member #43
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 11:59:31 AM »
There is a whole thread from earlier this year on Mobile Read Forums discussing it.  Looks to me like a quick and dirty method of converting .EPUB files for the Kindle and simultaneously getting them into Amazon cloud storage.  Hope that Amazon continues to support this.   Probably get the same basic effect by using Calibre to convert EPUB to MOBI and then sending to Kindle with "convert" in the subject line.

I am now about 40% through the first book and so far the text conversion is totally clean.  Not a single hiccup encountered in the conversion that I have spotted, with the exception of the items noted above.  Cleaner than a MOBI file I cross loaded to a Kobo Mini.

The advantage of doing it this way is, as you say, getting it to Amazon's Cloud.  I convert to AZW3 using Calibre so I can embed my own font, and connect my Kindle via USB (or by wifi if I'm at home & can make the silly Amazon internet connection work). I can't use Send to Kindle since it's AZW3, but we all have our priorities, and my font is one of mine.  ;) 
Kindling since August 2008, 1st gen Oasis, PW2, 2 Fire HD6s, iPad Mini