Author Topic: how to people hold their Oasis (either 1st or 2nd gen)?  (Read 3092 times)  

Online derek87

• View Profile
how to people hold their Oasis (either 1st or 2nd gen)?
« on: November 16, 2017, 03:36:15 PM »
hi all,

long story, short: i'm struggling to find a comfortable way to hold my Oasis when i lie in bed. i read lying on my back. with my Kindle PW3 (and prior PW2), i typically hold it by forming an L with thumb and pointer finger sort of forming a ledge of support. it isn't 100% comfortable, yet i can do this (by swapping hands every 15-2o minutes) with no ill effect for up to a few hours. i can also, to vary things up, wrap my entire hand around it (between my pinky and thumb) since i have fairly large hands.

fast forward to last week when i took delivery on my Oasis 2. i immediately noticed that i couldn't hold it comfortably. i know it was designed for some of sort grip wrapped around the thicker "spine"  so one could use their thumb to turn pages using either of the buttons, but that hasn't worked well for me. within about 10 minutes of use, my hand is aching and sore, and in fact, that discomfort continued for a significant period after using the Oasis which is sort of scary for someone who years ago suffered from repetitive strain injuries from too much computer use. after suffering with this discomfort for a few days, i'm sad to say that the Oasis 2 is packed up and ready to be returned to Amazon even though it is the best Kindle screen i've seen to date. (it's not perfect, but close)

meanwhile, i ordered a refurbished Oasis 1, thinking that the lighter weight (without case)  would compensate for the aforementioned issues. the lighter first generation Oasis is certainly easier to hold one handed grasped around the "spine" yet it still isn't quite that comfortable to me.  i can use my "older method" of forming an L, but i find the balance isn't quite right due to the tapered base, and of course the means the page turn buttons become unusable (which isn't a huge deal to me in reality... especially since i have a separate issue of sometimes the buttons not registered a page turn...so my unit may be defective in that regard :\ )

anyway, if people can share their "grips" and are generously willing to take the time even photograph how they are holding their Oasis e-reader, i would greatly appreciate it.

i'd like to make this Oasis 1 work for me, but i'm right now happy with how i'm holding it and its taking me away from the main intent: enjoying reading!
thanks!

Offline kerrycrow

• View Profile
Re: how to people hold their Oasis (either 1st or 2nd gen)?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 04:35:36 PM »
I hold it in one hand and use the pinky finger for a bit of support on the bottom, turn page forward with thumb (changed bottom button to forward vs backward).  If I need to go backward I need to hold it in two hands as my thumb does not stretch to top button.  This is exactly the same way I held the Oasis 1.  But I am not sure it would work if I was lying on my back.....

Offline Tunji99

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 08:21:20 PM »
I had the same problem when I got my KO2. I like to read at night in bed as well, especially now that it has inverted text. But I too couldn't hold it properly without it slipping or straining my hand.

I tried flipping the buttons and holding it from the bottom, but I couldn't get use to that.

I finally ended up attaching a finger ring stand to the back of the thick side of the Oasis. Not the most elegant of solution as it makes it a bit thicker, but it works for me.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Offline kindlecollector

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 09:25:34 PM »
For ALL e-readers I tend to hold it, or the opened case cover, in the left hand and operate the controls with the right hand.  All my Kindles and other e-readers are mounted in covers and normally left there.  Expecting an after market full back shell snap-in cover for the O2 to arrive in the next few days and the O2 will go into it to replace the Amazon leather cover.  I prefer covers that provide lots of protection to the e-reader which the Amazon cover does not IMO.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 03:53:58 AM »
I had the same problem when I got my KO2. I like to read at night in bed as well, especially now that it has inverted text. But I too couldn't hold it properly without it slipping or straining my hand.

I tried flipping the buttons and holding it from the bottom, but I couldn't get use to that.

I finally ended up attaching a finger ring stand to the back of the thick side of the Oasis. Not the most elegant of solution as it makes it a bit thicker, but it works for me.

Good luck!

That's precisely why I got these:

Except I got clear ones so they'd be less obtrusive. They really help with grip.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Online derek87

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 08:08:16 AM »
thanks for all of the helpful comments and suggestions. i really appreciate them.

i guess it's good to know that i'm not the only one having some issues with it. i managed to have a good 1 hour reading session in bed last night with the Oasis 1. i tried not to overthink things but i kept moving things around and i managed to end without sore/tired hands.

the Oasis 2 is sadly going back although Ann's grip tape suggesting seemed like a good one. i think if and when i ever had time to read more outside of bed (maybe when i retire and my special needs child is a little older and my time demands are a little less), i would want to have an Oasis 2 for that type of reading. the 7" screen really was a unexpected game changer for me. yet, if i can't use it in bed without hurting my hands, i can't make that compromise. (ring/tape would work for there, but then for the times i want to use it elsewhere or carry it on the train, then i'd want to easily go back to the "original form")

of course, a few years from now, who knows what Amazon will be offering us. it's my hope that at the very least they will have established tighter QC controls for screen/light guides on their Kindles.

Offline Susan J

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 09:51:37 AM »
You are definitely not the only one having problems holding the new Oasis.  I traded in my Voyage and do love the size of the new screen but, without any edge, I keep hitting the screen bringing up the index or menu. 

I know that I can not comfortably read on this device without a cover to grip.  I returned the cloth cover which was worse than useless and my Moko cover is in the mail today.  Hopefully, it fits well and the cover will allow me to grip the Oasis better.

I think this new Oasis design team was filled with people who have larger hands and definitely not with anyone who suffers from arthritis.   :( 

Offline Tunji99

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 11:24:02 AM »
That's precisely why I got these:

Except I got clear ones so they'd be less obtrusive. They really help with grip.

I agree with you Ann. The egrips sound like a great idea. I may eventually decide to go down this route. Currently I am way over budget on this ☹️.I caved and end up buying the leather cover when it was $60. I doubt my wife would tolerate another purchase for the new "toy".

I am also waiting to see how the generic PU covers turn out to be. I may end up going that route. Decisions decisions

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 12:29:33 PM »
I agree with you Ann. The egrips sound like a great idea. I may eventually decide to go down this route. Currently I am way over budget on this ☹️.I caved and end up buying the leather cover when it was $60. I doubt my wife would tolerate another purchase for the new "toy".

I am also waiting to see how the generic PU covers turn out to be. I may end up going that route. Decisions decisions

If it's less than 30 days either beg them for a credit or just return it. Contact them first. If you explain that it doesn't work well for you, they might let you return it without any return shipping charge. Or, if you really like it, beg them for an account credit. It's not their "policy", but if you point out that the alternative is that you return this one and buy it again and a credit will save everyone time, effort, and money, they might just do it.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Susan J

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 01:53:43 PM »
My Moko case just arrived.  It fits perfectly and I am again able to read comfortably.  The front cover bends backwards and I am able to hold the cover between my fingers and just use my thumb to balance the Oasis. 

Offline Tunji99

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 03:30:48 PM »
If it's less than 30 days either beg them for a credit or just return it. Contact them first. If you explain that it doesn't work well for you, they might let you return it without any return shipping charge. Or, if you really like it, beg them for an account credit. It's not their "policy", but if you point out that the alternative is that you return this one and buy it again and a credit will save everyone time, effort, and money, they might just do it.

I already tried calling them for a credit to no avail. ☹️The rep wouldn't budge even though I explained to her that if I return it I wouldn't order another one. I probably will end up returning it since it hasn't been 30 days yet and the cover came scratched up to begin with.

Thanks for the kind advice Ann.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Online Patricia

• Northwestern New Jersey
  • Enjoy Today...It will not come again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 03:43:00 PM »
On my Orders page, it says that my Amazon cover is eligible for return until Jan. 31, 2018.  I'm still considering it, even though I bought a skin to match.  I'm waiting for more reviews on the third party covers, especially the Fintie.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2017, 03:45:16 PM »
On my Orders page, it says that my Amazon cover is eligible for return until Jan. 31, 2018.  I'm still considering it, even though I bought a skin to match.  I'm waiting for more reviews on the third party covers, especially the Fintie.

Oh, that's right.  They have an extended return period starting November 1.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline kindlecollector

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2017, 03:50:02 PM »
You are definitely not the only one having problems holding the new Oasis.  I traded in my Voyage and do love the size of the new screen but, without any edge, I keep hitting the screen bringing up the index or menu. 

I know that I can not comfortably read on this device without a cover to grip.  I returned the cloth cover which was worse than useless and my Moko cover is in the mail today.  Hopefully, it fits well and the cover will allow me to grip the Oasis better.

I think this new Oasis design team was filled with people who have larger hands and definitely not with anyone who suffers from arthritis.   :(

IMO why companies like Amazon should have beta testers selected from typical customers, as wide a range as possible.  Send out 100 prototypes to these folks and get their feedback.  Try to include testers with physical handicaps.  I doubt that the magnetic covers would have survived such a test group unchanged.  Too many times the members of a design group are not daily users and so do not notice the ergonomic problems with a design.  That or the members who raise issues are pressured to be a better part of the team, no negativity allowed.

Online Patricia

• Northwestern New Jersey
  • Enjoy Today...It will not come again.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 04:05:06 PM »
Ironic...One of the reasons you can select for returning is "better price available".  Then they want to know the name of the store and the price.

Offline ellenoc

• Colorado
  • Mystery and romance
    • View Profile
    • Ellen O'Connell
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 09:06:05 PM »
The way I have to "hold" probably doesn't apply to many others. Holding a Kindle these days makes my hands so sore I can't use them for other necessary things. I think the fact I can't make myself hold it loosely and am always clamping down around it is the real cause, but after trying and trying I've accepted that I'm never going to stop gripping the thing as if my life depends on it. So I devised a little platform I put on my lap and have an adjustable holder I stand on that with the Kindle on it. Works nicely, but I'm thinking of getting myself one of those Book Seats for Christmas as that looks even better, less likely to go sideways and spill the Kindle if I shift my legs too much.

Ironic...One of the reasons you can select for returning is "better price available".  Then they want to know the name of the store and the price.

It seems then you could put in "Amazon" and the new price. I thought you could return for any reason in the first 30 days. I know I've chosen "Other" on occasion.

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2017, 06:22:44 AM »

It seems then you could put in "Amazon" and the new price. I thought you could return for any reason in the first 30 days. I know I've chosen "Other" on occasion.

You can. But if the reason is just "I didn't like it", usually they'll charge return shipping. After 30 days* they won't take it back at all.

In the past, they've been pretty good about allowing a credit in a case like this where the price went down permanently within the first 30 days. Sounds like now they're not nearly as willing to do that, though, even though it's easiest for them. Which is a shame. I suspect, now that third party options are becoming available, that people who decide they'll return it since they won't give 'em a credit, will end up buying a different cover. And, frankly, even if they charge $5 or $10 for return shipping, you've saved money even if you buy the same model Amazon cover.

*exception: we're in the 'holiday return period' which started Nov 1; anything purchased now can be returned for any reason anytime through January 31. Practically, what this means is you could try a 3rd party cover and if you like it better, go ahead and return the Amazon one.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline Shapeshifter

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2017, 08:40:33 AM »
I plan on reading mine with the page buttons at the bottom. I also have a BookSeat, I got it as a Christmas present years ago but didn't start using it until earlier this year, now I hardly ever read without it, I use it for my tablet too.

Offline rlkubi

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2017, 05:11:20 AM »
For anyone that has the Bookseat does the plastic holder get in the way for the Kindles?

Offline Lursa (aka 9MMare)

• Outside Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2017, 07:42:03 PM »
I cant speak to the Oasis, as I have a Voyage but I value the light weight of an uncovered Kindle a great deal.

I ordered one of these and it's very flexible and lightwt and I can use it (while on the device) or not.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ARNLUB2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I recently also ordered something similar to the grip strips that Anne posted and those are due in about a week.

Edit: Also, when I read or watch video on my Fire tablet, I have a small pillow with those microbeads in it (they have them with rice in them too) and when reading laying down, I set my Fire on that on my lap or chest.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 07:44:07 PM by Lursa (aka 9MMare) »

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2017, 08:00:54 AM »
I'm hoping it will be at least as easy to hold as my Paperwhite.

I saw someone using something like this

on a cell phone recently. That may be a good option if necessary.

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Offline northofdivision

• Chicago
    • View Profile
how to people hold their Oasis (either 1st or 2nd gen)?
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2017, 01:41:38 PM »
A little outside of what you were asking perhaps but why not cut out the middle man/woman entirely and get a flexible arm that clips onto your end table or bed headboard. Like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Tryone-Gooseneck-Nintendo-Samsung-Overall/dp/B01AUQ33LG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1511645977&sr=8-3&keywords=Flexible+arm+tablet

Now your hand will never get tired. Handsfree reading. Just an option. it's a great way to read though admittedly I fall asleep almost every night.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Stanley
=====
Blackberry KeyOne, Ipad Air2
Kindle 2,3G,4,PW2, Voyage, Oasis
Kobo HD Glo, Kobo Aura One 8", Sony 5" PRS-350 w/multi-font/Zork hack

(Make your own reading bar)

Offline Shapeshifter

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 05:43:25 AM »
For anyone that has the Bookseat does the plastic holder get in the way for the Kindles?

I'd be interested to know too.

I have the KK so there is no issue since the keyboard is at the bottom. For the life of me I can't find the dimensions of the actual screen, to be able to have an idea if it's doable.

7" doesn't always mean the same thing. I've searched for it here, and everywhere else, with no luck so far.

Offline ShinyTop

• Pensacola
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 06:35:24 AM »
I use mine horizontally against the bottom of the Oasis 3.
Its unlucky to be superstitious.

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2018, 06:22:59 PM »
Had my O2 since Christmas. No special holder needed!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter