Need a new Case? Save $30 with code SPARKLE30 + Free Shipping at Case-Mate.com! Offer ends 12/15.

Author Topic: Authors ... how do YOU find out about new books  (Read 1409 times)  

Offline C. Michael Wells

• Kansas City, MO
    • View Profile
    • C. Michael Wells
Re: Authors ... how do YOU find out about new books
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2017, 09:16:20 AM »
I  check my favorite authors blog/social media/reddit posts daily for news of a new book (looking at you Rothfuss and GRRM). Then search for series that other redditors tell me are similar to my favorite authors books. Once I find an author that I enjoy, I typically read everything they have to offer and that can take some time.

Online Mercia McMahon

• London
  • living in the Shadow of pulp speed
    • View Profile
    • Mercia McMahon
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2017, 09:43:02 AM »
I assume that the question is new to you, not newly published. I might discover trade books wandering in Europe's biggest bookstore (aka Waterstones Piccadilly), where I'm more likely to be attracted to the 3 for 2 offerings than hot off the press. For ebooks I discover new books from kboards signatures, Cora's 2 mags, the Goodreads UK Book Club, Goodreads Ads, Guardian reviews, and Hugo shortlists (probably via Cora's Speculative mag). Mostly I'm concentrating thumping down the 250+ TBR list. I also swap books with a friend and discovered the wonderful (but only new to me) Children of Time: Winner of the 2016 Arthur C. Clarke Award by Adrian Tchaikovsky.

I have never decided to buy a book based on customer reviews, but I have often decided not to buy an interesting sounding one based on customer reviews. I make my decision based on the blurb and the Look Inside (or first few pages if in a bookstore).

As to advertising maxims I prefer CS Lewis's view that the great weakness of humanity is its inability to disbelieve advertisements (Screwtape Letters).

Mercia McMahon | Author Site | Publishing Site | Pinterest

Offline brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2017, 10:08:19 AM »
The Kboards Writer's Cafe. I also get a dozen or more newsletters every day, and when I see an author or book that interests me (often something I've seen here or in my also bots), I'll buy it while it's cheap.

BR Kingsolver | Author website

Offline Hestia

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2017, 11:31:28 AM »
Checking the "coming soon" category in amazon and the "on order" list at my library
Goodreads monthly newsletter for new releases
Recommendations based on what I've read and purchased
Giveaway listings through goodreads and librarything
Scrolling through the overdrive app
Going to libraries and bookshops to browse

I always read a sample (either in person or I download one through the kindle app)

Offline Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
  • Storyteller and Cat Minion
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2017, 12:28:56 PM »
I read Publishers Weekly book reviews and sample the ones that sound interesting. I check books in the signatures on this board. I use Amazon's search function for genres I like, and I scan the KU selection and usually have no problem finding 30-40 titles a month to try out.

Offline Jenny Schwartz

• Australia
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2017, 02:50:15 PM »
I run a very small Kindle Unlimited book review page on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/AlwaysAnotherGreatBook/ (not so sneaky self-promo for it) so I'm constantly looking for new-to-me books in KU. Also-boughts on Amazon are gold for that. I also use the new release search/filter thing on Amazon. I pick up some great books in the author groups I belong to on Facebook when someone invites other authors to share links to their books for a newsletter slot etc. I am beyond thrilled when people recommend me books on my Facebook review page - recommendations are the best. Thanks to Holly, I've just found David Leadbeater's books. I also check out books from signature lines here on KBoards :)

Jenny Schwartz | Website | Twitter | Facebook

Offline Annette_g

• View Profile
    • Annette Gisby Author Page
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2017, 03:04:33 PM »
I tend to seek out SF/Fantasy blogs and thrillers/crime a bit, as well as the Goodreads sections on it. Most of my physical books have been bought for me by my husband as presents, and he gets it right most of the time ;) Libraries are next as well as browsing in book shops.

I have my favourite authors so I check if they have something new out and sometimes there will be an also-bought or a rec from Amazon for something similar. I prefer to read on my Kindle now as my eyesight has got worse over the years and I can choose my own font size/style. I have some SF books from American publishers that I can barely read, the text is so small on the page. Is paper really expensive in the US or something?

Annette Gisby | website

Offline Guy Riessen

• View Profile
    • Guy Riessen Author of Dark Fiction
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2017, 03:06:56 PM »
Most often in in the also bought by row.

Yep also boughts, totally work great because it'll be the cover that catches my eye.
Also the AMS ads work very well too--again the cover will catch my eye.
Because of that, I am a tough sale--you've got to have a great cover to catch my attention. Your blurb must sound interesting and show me that your story is unique. And finally I do skim the Look Inside...I read the first paragraph and it must grab me. Then a I skim through more to make sure the writing isn't gawdawful.

Guy Riessen | website

Offline Benjamin Douglas

• Iowa
  • Reading :) Riting :) Rithmatic :(
    • View Profile
    • Benjamin Douglas Books
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2017, 07:48:01 AM »
Oh! Oh! I know this!

From book podcasts! Amirite?

... shameless self-promotion ...

Offline Fleurina

• West Coast of Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2017, 08:35:32 AM »
When I have a spare hour - or two - I like to grab a coffee, pretend I'm in brick and mortar bookshop and spend some time on Amazon browsing the first few pages of various titles. Samples of possibilities get sent to my Kindle, and I peruse them once cosy in bed, and then I click 'buy' on the winners.  But having just joined this rather spiffing forum I'm guessing I'll find quite a few must-reads right here!
Magical Living - 7 Secret Keys   : 30%

Vegas Wedding - Izzie Firecracker 2: 10%
Janet Butler Male | website | facebook | twitter

Offline Ros_Jackson

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2017, 09:02:16 AM »
There's going to be a bit of selection bias here. I'm another one who looks at signatures on Kboards; I also try out a fair few new authors or series through Patty's speculative fiction promotions.

Browsing Kobo recommendations. I don't look at Amazon's any more, except perhaps when I'm buying graphic novels in paperback. Kobo's recommendations aren't perfect, but there are some books that keep catching my eye.

I don't look at Goodreads, because its discovery has never been great for me.

Social media is actually a big one. I tend to pay attention to the books everyone is talking about, rather than writers plugging their own work. However, if I'm already a fan and a writer announces their next work then that's one way I'll find out about it - I rarely subscribe to newsletters.

Ros Jackson | author website | blog | twitter | goodreads

Online jaehaerys

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2017, 12:54:43 PM »
Goodreads because the reviews tend to be more honest and their recommendations are based on reader genre tags, not on authors tagging their books' genres themselves (and often disingenuously so).

Offline DonovanJeremiah

• View Profile
    • facebook
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2017, 04:31:29 AM »
Kboards signature lines and also boughts.

Online Van Argan

• View Profile
    • VanArgan.com
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2017, 11:46:47 AM »
The "also bought" rows under favorite books.  Sometimes Goodreads is helpful too. 

I used to enjoy Stephen King's annual top 10 books of the year columns in Entertainment Weekly.  It's how I discovered the wonderful David Benioff book titled "City of Thieves."

Offline Christine Tate

• Virginia Beach, VA
    • View Profile
    • Christine Tate
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2017, 08:19:18 PM »
Almost all of the books I read are the result of a personal recommendation from a trusted source.  If I ever get caught up enough on those titles, I love to wander the stacks of the library or aisles of the bookstore in my favorite sections.  I'm still very much old school and love to be able to pick up a physical copy of a book to browse through it to see if I want to read it.  Digital page flip previews just don't interest me.